Statue planned for former hoops star A'ja Wilson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Statue planned for former hoops star A'ja Wilson

Reaction Score
Seem kind of like overkill. They must feel like they will never have another NPOY or NC ever again. Hey if Uconn put up a statue for every NPOY who was part of a NC., their campus would resemble China's Xi'an province's location for the Terracotta Warrior's.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
IMHO Just a bit premature. As some have stated, it MAY be appropriate when history bears out her being a legend. Don't have a clue as to who or circumstance of football player statues, but maybe that's how they operate. What if she's a bust on the pro or national team front? I do suppose recycling is a possibility.
She's a good kid and BB player who helped bring a NC. Enough said.
I agree with your first sentence. If however A'Ja turns out to be a bust in the WNBA that will have nothing to do with what she has accomplished for South Carolina.

Reaction Score
This statue thing to sports figures on campuses is getting ridiculous. We have some here, and it embarrasses me. I believe we have some Nobel Prize winners on the faculty (can't name them), and they certainly don't have statues. These are just games after all. They provide entertainment and excitement, but that's not really what universities exist for, I hope.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
My 1st reaction was a chuckle.

But then again, if SC wants to honor someone besides a football player (or confederate general), I'm all for it. And a _girl_ no less!

My thoughts exactly. I think it's a tad overkill, but hey, anything to give more recognition to women's basketball I'm all for! That said, I think it'd make more sense to make Staley a statue than A'ja. Staley completely turned around the program. Even the year before A'ja came to campus, Dawn built them up to be a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament.

As a side note, Dawn has probably elevated herself to the best player/coach career we've ever seen on the women's side. Standout at UVA and as a pro, won a zillion medals, was the torch bearer for USA, and then transformed Temple and transformed SC en route to a title. I'm not her biggest fan, but she's had a remarkable career on all ends.

Reaction Score
This statue thing could end up being a great recruiting tool. Schools could tell players that if they do well for their team they will put up their statue. Of course they need to make them portable, so that over time they can be moved or replaced by more recent players statues. I can just see statues every where on campus with location based on a fluctuating pecking order. They could also be made with interchangeable heads. That way they could leave every statue at one location, while only changing or replacing the heads. :D

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
All I can say is be careful who you get to be the sculptor and is he off his meds :D

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I am not one for statues, just look what they did to Ronaldo ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom