Starting Quarterback | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Starting Quarterback

Reaction Score
EVERS: consensus four-star prospect … touted as the No. 4 dual-threat quarterback in the class by Rivals, the No. 7 pocket-passer QB by ESPN, the No. 7 QB by On3 and the No. 8 QB by 247Sports … ranked the No. 77 player in the country by On3 … rated as the 17th-best prospect in the state of Texas by On3, No. 24 by 247, No. 28 by ESPN and No. 37 by Rivals … 2021 Elite 11 Finals participant … 2020 Texas District 6-6A First Team selection … threw for nearly 5,000 yards and 44 touchdowns and rushed for 18 TDs over his junior and senior seasons … rushed for 648 yards his senior year … chose OU over Auburn, Florida and others ... originally committed to Florida
Not to be a downer but this sounds eerily similar to Roberson coming out of HS. Will hope it works out better for both sides

Reaction Score
Not to be a downer but this sounds eerily similar to Roberson coming out of HS. Will hope it works out better for both sides
I mean what kind of injuries is this guy facing?

Reaction Score
EVERS: consensus four-star prospect … touted as the No. 4 dual-threat quarterback in the class by Rivals, the No. 7 pocket-passer QB by ESPN, the No. 7 QB by On3 and the No. 8 QB by 247Sports … ranked the No. 77 player in the country by On3 … rated as the 17th-best prospect in the state of Texas by On3, No. 24 by 247, No. 28 by ESPN and No. 37 by Rivals … 2021 Elite 11 Finals participant … 2020 Texas District 6-6A First Team selection … threw for nearly 5,000 yards and 44 touchdowns and rushed for 18 TDs over his junior and senior seasons … rushed for 648 yards his senior year … chose OU over Auburn, Florida and others ... originally committed to Florida
The thing with a lot of these guys is they commit to big name programs and in some ways it is just luck as to whether they get a real chance because Oklahoma, Florida, Ohio State, Michigan… they probably recruit 4-5 guys/year. And now with the portal coaches sort of figure why bother developing a freshman if we can just hire somebody with experience from another place. Even though it was pre-portal, we got Zach Fraser from Notre Dame I think he was one of 5 freshman qbs or something. It’s worse now. I wonder if it might make sense to do it the other way now with the portal. Sign out of high school with a g5 or mid tier P4, have a better shot at getting playing time and if you are really good go that a big time program through the portal. He was never going to be the starter at Wisconsin. They brought in the kid from Miami. If he wins the job it gives Welliver a year to develop and even if he leaves next year we have a replacement. My concern has been that we Tim Boyle him and he never quite develops properly.

Reaction Score
The thing with a lot of these guys is they commit to big name programs and in some ways it is just luck as to whether they get a real chance because Oklahoma, Florida, Ohio State, Michigan… they probably recruit 4-5 guys/year. And now with the portal coaches sort of figure why bother developing a freshman if we can just hire somebody with experience from another place. Even though it was pre-portal, we got Zach Fraser from Notre Dame I think he was one of 5 freshman qbs or something. It’s worse now. I wonder if it might make sense to do it the other way now with the portal. Sign out of high school with a g5 or mid tier P4, have a better shot at getting playing time and if you are really good go that a big time program through the portal. He was never going to be the starter at Wisconsin. They brought in the kid from Miami. If he wins the job it gives Welliver a year to develop and even if he leaves next year we have a replacement. My concern has been that we Tim Boyle him and he never quite develops properly.

What if I told you Tim Boyle was as developed as he could be.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A healthy Roberson couldn't clearly beat out Fagnano as Fagnano was recovering from injury. And Fagnano wasn't good even when he was the starter.

I have no idea if Evers is the right answer or just another wrong answer. But, UConn wasn't going anywhere with Fagnano at QB and Roberson clearly hadn't inspired trust or confidence.

I'd rather have a different wrong answer than stick with a known wrong answer.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm extremely excited about Evers and Welliver! The future seems really bright and Husky Nation has a lot to look forward to, including the strong receivers we've brought in as well (one from Wisconsin so he'll know Evers).

For the folks that were concerned about Mora not tweeting enough or whatever: "the reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated"...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wasn't feeling Fagnano 2.0. I would've been OK with Roberson, but he hasn't been impressive this past spring. I agree with Chin I would rather have the possibility of winning with new personnel than the seeming certainty of losing with old personnel.

Good news! Welcome Nick!

Reaction Score
A healthy Roberson couldn't clearly beat out Fagnano as Fagnano was recovering from injury. And Fagnano wasn't good even when he was the starter.

I have no idea if Evers is the right answer or just another wrong answer. But, UConn wasn't going anywhere with Fagnano at QB and Roberson clearly hadn't inspired trust or confidence.

I'd rather have a different wrong answer than stick with a known wrong answer.

Exactly. Change was needed. Change was made. Let's be hopeful.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Change was needed. Change was made. Let's be hopeful.
Yup. It'll be nice knowing that at least we'll have a new OC/QB going into the year rather than running it back with Roberson and Charlton which did not work.

Reaction Score
I've been out if the loop on UConn Football recruiting. Didn't we land a top recruit from Texas who's a freshman this Fall. Isn't he the future?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
He may or not be a prolific passer, but he has wheels. Tyler Lorenzen brought us a long way with his legs.
Strong wheels to boot. DBs will feel the blow when he falls forward.

Reaction Score
He may or not be a prolific passer, but he has wheels. Tyler Lorenzen brought us a long way with his legs.
Agree with this. If there was one area where Roberson really disappointed it was the lack of a legitimate run threat to his game. When he was recruited to UConn we were sold on him being a true dual threat quarterback. It's possible that the injury derailed that part of his game. Last season it seemed that there were numerous instances where Roberson could have kept it for long runs and chose not to. If Evers has that in his arsenal that could be a real game changer for our offense.

Reaction Score
Perhaps. But P's attachment to Johnny McEntee was always a puzzlement. JM failed to produce but P kept sticking with him for virtually every snap. Nebrich went on to become a record setting QB at Fordham.
Additionally trick shot's sister was going out with the center at the time. Nebrich did not get quality snaps from him. It was very noticable. But Michael did commit one mortal sin. He missed a wide wide open receiver that would have easily gone for 6 at a critical juncture. Missed him badly.

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
I guess this is the 2nd year I predicted Ta'Quan and was wrong

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member