Starting Lineup | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Starting Lineup

Reaction Score
I may have overstated my concern. First let me say that I think Carl Adamec is a superb reporter. I don't for a second question his professionalism. I also appreciate the many virtues of paraphrasing. However, when a paraphrase is sandwiched between two quotations and "speaks" in a similar"voice," the quotation marks tend to disappear. Like you, I am not worried in this particular case because I trust Adamec to represent Geno fairly and accurately (which isn't easy to do, given Geno's sardonic tendencies), but not every reporter is as knowledgeable or careful. A less skilled or less scrupulous reporter can, in effect, put words in a interviewee's mouth by moving too seamlessly between quotations and a paraphrase.
Problem is, one reason paraphrases are used is exactly to be put between full-quote paragraphs, to break up what seems to the reader to be a relentless series of quotations. And you're right: Even if a reporter gets the exact quotes exactly right, an incorrect paraphrase can throw off a whole section of the story, and most readers will be none the wiser.
But the solution is not to eliminate paraphrases. After all, you're paying your money (figuratively, if not literally) to read a reporter's account of the story, not to listen to Geno.

Reaction Score
I have been saying since Batouly Camara transfered in that she will become a starter down the road! Her severe injury made last season a lost year! So now that all sources have been saying she's healthy this will be her time starting at Center. I loved her game as a freshman at KY and with Geno andd staff working with her she can only get better! She's aggressive on the offensive and defensive boards and has a nice 12' to 15' shot but she's really talented cleaning up the missed shots inside! I think the G's will find her often going to the hoop!
I'll compare her game to Jamelle Elliot, who wasn't too shabby inside the lane herself!
I sure hope you're right about Batouly. We've all seen flashes of potential, but nothing that ensures her a starting spot. I'm especially worried about her willingness/ability to play aggressively on offense., But if she becomes the incarnation of Jamelle Elliot this year, that will be none too shabby.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Starters:
PG: Crystal Dangerfield
SG: KLS
SF: Megatron
PF: Pheesa
C: ONO
In rotation: CW, Mikayla, & Batouly (If Healthy)
Deep bench: Kyla, Lexi, & Molly

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree 100% with the premise of your comment, but Kia did not take (semantics) Chong's starting spot away from her, Geno did.
Yea, I really hate when Geno does that. He's always taking out one player and putting in another that can actually get the job done. How Geno has lasted this long in coaching is beyond me. I am so glad someone is finally calling him on this. :eek:

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Camara has always been a force down low. She rebounds and boxes out. She is has not been a big time scorer. She will see alot of playtime however CW and ONO need to gain experience this season for next season, Coombs a top recruit will need to see time also. The question remains who will see playtime off the bench in big games like LVille Baylor and ND. We have different needs in each game.

Reaction Score
Will be Crystal Dangerfield, Christyn, MW, Lou & Pheesa. They are trying to run more this season even more than past seasons. Our size will only be an issue against 2 teams on our schedule..Baylor & ND. I imagine a lot of zone in those games. Give me talent over size..

Reaction Score
I agree 100% with the premise of your comment, but Kia did not take (semantics) Chong's starting spot away from her, Geno did. He plugged Kia in for Saniya and Kia kept it. Geno made that adjustment after the Stanford game in November 2014. Chong scored 20 points that game, but the player she was assigned to guard (Lili Thompson) scored 24.

She could not keep Thompson in front of her or keep her from scoring (the duo of Thompson & Amber Orrange (17) scored a total of 41 points that evening. Almost half of their team's 88 points. Geno was frustrated, and said so in his post game presser. Kia's ability to play defense was better than Chong's at that time, and improved each year going forward.

Remember that Kia was not your normal incoming freshman. She was the youngest member (at the time) of the Canadian National Women's Basketball Team. She had already been exposed to play at the international level during the summer. Chong's injuries and her inability to play defense to Geno's liking kept her on the bench until her senior year.

If you remember, Geno also replaced another starter after that game. Kiah Stokes was replaced by freshman Morgan Tuck who remained a starter the rest of the season and for the next 3 years. That adjustment proved to be sufficient as that was the only game UConn would lose that season, propelling them forward to win the national championship.
I have to agree to disagree since Geno is always clear that the player is in complete control of their playing time so the next logical step is Kia earned/took the spot from Soniya through her skill and determination. I think it diminishes Kia by saying it was just Geno's decision. Kia forced that decision.

Reaction Score
This is really a question of whether UConn decides to go small or go big. At the very start of the season I don’t expect either freshman to start, but they certainly could surprise. Pheesa starts in the front court, Crystal in the backcourt and Megan on the wing.

Lou is a variable. She can start up front or in the backcourt. I like the idea of Lou at guard, where she is a mismatch in the post for smaller defenders. That would mean Batouly and perhaps eventually Liv as the 5th starter. Adding that size to the lineup also moves Pheesa from the 5 to the 4 where she will dominate and gives the Huskies the ability to pound the boards and play tough physical defense.

The other variable is CW. She may be too talented to keep out of the starting lineup. If so, UConn goes small, spreads the floor and passes and shoots opposing teams to death.

So which way do I believe this will play out. I see Batouly as the 5th starter to begin the season and then at some point, Geno goes small inserting CW in the starting lineup.

How’s that for hedging my bet? :cool:
Your looks and slants on this team is always fun to read. I want CW to get mega PT, she is talented. But so was Megan last year. Geno over the years has been a BIT pragmatic on his demands of serious practicing but insists on the new guys learning his system and being part of the team "chemistry". So, unless both ONO and CW are unique freshman (ala DT, Maya, Rene) it may be some time before they start.
Rsherm like you is very high on Batouly I can't go against your expertise or Rsherms coaching experience but I haven't seen enough of her Uconn game to make an assessment.l
Geno is a master of the mix and match and changing line ups (after the game starts) to off set the strength of opponents. I doubt that shall changed.
I have emotional buy-in to CW, ONO, Coombs, Gordon, Irwin, Bent, Batouly in that order I really I'd like to see all of them get good big time playing time which means they have arrived.

Reaction Score
Will be Crystal Dangerfield, Christyn, MW, Lou & Pheesa. They are trying to run more this season even more than past seasons. Our size will only be an issue against 2 teams on our schedule..Baylor & ND. I imagine a lot of zone in those games. Give me talent over size..
I don't disagree with your assessment. KLS has had leg and feet and knee problems from the many years of beating them into the floor. I'd like to see KLS play in the post because of her size and Geno last season pushed her more and more into rebounding and scoring under the boards. Yet, I wonder can her poor used body handled long minutes of PT.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
<<GoldenHusky posted "I didn't get to see any of First Night so I appreciate the analysis and feedback...most of which was quite positive. With Lou, Pheesa and Crystal sure things and Megan "probable" by most accounts, any clues regarding who will join that quartet in the opening game starting lineup?">>

Surprised that someone hasn't already started a thread for this with the season so close at hand. A few posters speculating here and there but nothing like the flurry of activity we saw last year by tis time.

Have at it folks.

Lou, Pheesa, Crystal, Megan and ???? Christyn is my pick with Batouly/Olivia in the post first off the bench with Mikayla as the first G sub, then Bent/Irwin.

I agree with the lineup. That was my pick too :).

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I have to agree to disagree since Geno is always clear that the player is in complete control of their playing time so the next logical step is Kia earned/took the spot from Soniya through her skill and determination. I think it diminishes Kia by saying it was just Geno's decision. Kia forced that decision.

This was the 2nd game of the season. Kia did not force that decision, Chong did by her inability to play defense to Geno's satisfaction!!! Kia had not been there long enough to “earn” anything. She was a freshman that did not have full knowledge and understanding of Geno's system yet. She had not outplayed Chong in practice at that point. My narrative does not diminish Kia in any way. It was what it was!! It was Geno’s decision. He determines who the starters are. Kia did not force anything, anymore than Morgan Tuck did.

Geno obviously felt she was not ready to start at the beginning of the season, or she would have. Kia was his choice to replace Chong, plain and simple. Of the choices he had, he felt that Kia was the best option.

Gino was not happy with the loss, or the way Chong or Stokes played in that game. THAT is why they were replaced. If Nurse and Tuck had earned the spots, they would have started that game. Neither one of them did anything exceptional in the Stanford game to earn a promotion. If they had, UConn may have won. They both played 20 minutes in that game and both of them fouled out in regulation.

Their insertion into the starting rotation worked. They made the most of the opportunity, and remained starters. That loss IMO, was the best thing that happened to them that year. It made them realize they weren't invincible, and they could be beat. Here's a link to the Stanford game. Watch Chong's play. See for yourself if Geno had cause to be upset. I'm NOT suggesting that UConn lost the game because of Chong. That loss was a team effort. Several players made miscues that contributed to their defeat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
While Auriemma is searching for players who can become key contributors on the team, freshmen Christyn Williams and Olivia Nelson-Ododa will be looking to overcome the struggles of transitioning from high school basketball to UConn basketball. During the summer Auriemma said he expected both to contribute to the team during the season, but at this point it’s a matter of watching them in practice and deciding just how much they’ll be able to help the team in their first season.

Williams has been fairly aggressive in her first few practices with the Huskies, Auriemma said. That aggression has helped her start to adapt faster, while Nelson-Ododa is naturally less aggressive. Auriemma said guards have an easier time adjusting so he understands that Nelson-Ododa will take a bit longer to become comfortable.

UConn Women's Basketball Begins Practice, Search For Starters

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I see Lexi had a knee band on her right knee. That her usual? I can't recall.

1539561007206.png

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I agree with the consensus that Megan will be a starter. She had an inconsistent freshman year, but her games at UCLA and Temple showed her potential. Plus, she worked hard over the summer. It looks as if she lived in the weight room.

The fifth starter is tough to call. I have not seen enough of the veterans to think that they are ready. Batouly plays with energy and physicality, but doesn't seem to be under control. Mikayla is athletic, but has lots of room to improve. Kyla is smart and aggressive but has limited athleticism, and Molly was in great shape but far too nervous. I'm taking the unknown (at the college level) but highly touted freshmen. After the Jordan Brand game, I was impressed with Olivia and thought she would be the starter to give us much-needed size, with Christyn being the instant offense off the bench. Based on the U-18 play, I thought Liv looked more raw than I previously thought. I'm currently thinking that Geno goes small and starts the Legend at shooting guard. That will spread the floor and give Pheesa and Megan room to operate inside.

Talk is cheap, but I do like her talk. Paraphrase: 'Last year I couldn't get over the hump, but I'm over it and can't wait to get started.'

Geno in the First Night interview said of Meghan: "It was like watching a different person play basketball" but we have to see consistency even when you are getting bumped, bruised and tired.

UConn's Geno Auriemma Interview - 2018 First Night

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
QUOTE="Scoop, post: 2878387, member: 8229"]This was the 2nd game of the season. Kia did not force that decision, Chong did by her inability to play defense to Geno's satisfaction!!! Kia had not been there long enough to “earn” anything. [/QUOTE]

So many inaccuracies I don't even know where to begin I limit it to top 5.

1) It was Geno’s decision. He determines who the starters are.”
Reality: The players determine who starts based on practice and the ability to impact the game.

2) Kia had not been there long enough to “earn” anything.
Reality: In the game prior to Stanford, UC Davis, Freshmen Kia Nurse played 21 minutes. Sophomore Saniya Chong played 22. Geno doesn’t give minutes away to freshmen.

3) “Morgan was coming off a knee injury sustained during her freshman year, and had not done anything in practice to that point to warrant starting.”
Reality: Morgan was injury free during her freshmam campaign which resulted in a Championship for UCONN. During her Freshmen campaign she was the Primary backup in the post to Stephanie Dolson over Kiah Stokes. Morgan had earned the right to start.
4) “Geno obviously felt she was not ready to start at the beginning of the season, or she would have.”
Reality: "I can't say enough about Morgan Tuck and Kia Nurse since they've been in lineup," Auriemma said. "It's a different feel, so impressive." Nov 29, 2014. No. 3 UConn routs Vanderbilt 91-52
5) “Neither one of them (Morgan or Kia) did anything exceptional in the Stanford game to earn a promotion.”

Reality: Saniya Chong had 76 games after that Stanford game to regain her starting position over Kia Nurse. Saniya never did. Likewise, Kiah Stokes had approximately 80 games to move ahead of Morgan Tuck on the depth chart. It was over those games (two full seasons) and practices that the “promotions” were earned. Geno’s decisions, which you have repeatedly questioned, were also validated.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
QUOTE="Scoop, post: 2878387, member: 8229"]This was the 2nd game of the season. Kia did not force that decision, Chong did by her inability to play defense to Geno's satisfaction!!! Kia had not been there long enough to “earn” anything.

Reality: The players determine who starts based on practice and the ability to impact the game.

Reality: In the game prior to Stanford, UC Davis, Freshmen Kia Nurse played 21 minutes. Sophomore Saniya Chong played 22. Geno doesn’t give minutes away to freshmen.

3) “Morgan was coming off a knee injury sustained during her freshman year, and had not done anything in practice to that point to warrant starting.”
Reality: Morgan was injury free during her freshmam campaign which resulted in a Championship for UCONN. During her Freshmen campaign she was the Primary backup in the post to Stephanie Dolson over Kiah Stokes. Morgan had earned the right to start.
4) “Geno obviously felt she was not ready to start at the beginning of the season, or she would have.”
Reality: "I can't say enough about Morgan Tuck and Kia Nurse since they've been in lineup," Auriemma said. "It's a different feel, so impressive." Nov 29, 2014. No. 3 UConn routs Vanderbilt 91-52
5) “Neither one of them (Morgan or Kia) did anything exceptional in the Stanford game to earn a promotion.”

Reality: Saniya Chong had 76 games after that Stanford game to regain her starting position over Kia Nurse. Saniya never did. Likewise, Kiah Stokes had approximately 80 games to move ahead of Morgan Tuck on the depth chart. It was over those games (two full seasons) and practices that the “promotions” were earned. Geno’s decisions, which you have repeatedly questioned, were also validated.[/QUOTE]

I propose the Mods consider a special page called The Boneyard's Graveyard for arguments that get endlessly resurrected. Michael Jackson's Thriller could play in an endless backround loop.

Reaction Score
This was the 2nd game of the season. Kia did not force that decision, Chong did by her inability to play defense to Geno's satisfaction!!! Kia had not been there long enough to “earn” anything. She was a freshman that did not have full knowledge and understanding of Geno's system yet. She had not outplayed Chong in practice at that point. My narrative does not diminish Kia in any way. It was what it was!! It was Geno’s decision. He determines who the starters are. Kia did not force anything, anymore than Morgan Tuck did.

Morgan was coming off a knee injury sustained during her freshman year, and had not done anything in practice to that point to warrant starting. Geno obviously felt she was not ready to start at the beginning of the season, or she would have. Kia was his choice to replace Chong, plain and simple. Of the choices he had, he felt that Kia was the best option.

Gino was not happy with the loss, or the way Chong or Stokes played in that game. THAT is why they were replaced. If Nurse and Tuck had earned the spots, they would have started that game. Neither one of them did anything exceptional in the Stanford game to earn a promotion. If they had, UConn may have won. They both played 20 minutes in that game and both of them fouled out in regulation.

Their insertion into the starting rotation worked. They made the most of the opportunity, and remained starters. That loss IMO, was the best thing that happened to them that year. It made them realize they weren't invincible, and they could be beat. Here's a link to the Stanford game. Watch Chong's play. See for yourself if Geno had cause to be upset. I'm NOT suggesting that UConn lost the game because of Chong. They lost the game as a team!! Several players made miscues that contributed to their defeat.
I watched the game and I feel you are continuing to mischaracterize what I was trying to say. I gave you an out by saying I agree to disagree so take it please. Kia still played defense better than Chong in that game and from that point on she did what needed to be done to take and hold that starting position. As a supervisor myself I on the surface make the decisions like Geno but actually I feel as though the effort and performance of my employees dictate their fate and who gets better projects and promotions. The leader in my opinion follows through. The player has just as much control through their effort and taking advantage of the moment as much as the coach who calls the number after receiving that "message" from the player on who plays.

Reaction Score
QUOTE="Scoop, post: 2878387, member: 8229"]This was the 2nd game of the season. Kia did not force that decision, Chong did by her inability to play defense to Geno's satisfaction!!! Kia had not been there long enough to “earn” anything.

Reality: Saniya Chong had 76 games after that Stanford game to regain her starting position over Kia Nurse. Saniya never did. Likewise, Kiah Stokes had approximately 80 games to move ahead of Morgan Tuck on the depth chart. It was over those games (two full seasons) and practices that the “promotions” were earned. Geno’s decisions, which you have repeatedly questioned, were also validated.[/QUOTE]
Thank you.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Your proposed starting lineup is going to be a nightmare to guard. 5 players that can beat you from behind the arc, with a pass, from mid range, or at the rim. Still think the season comes down to defense and getting a few key stops when we come up against a team that can score with us.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Here’s a new Courant article:

Mike Anthony: Napheesa Collier, Katie Lou Samuelson And Crystal Dangerfield Are UConn's Core Of Answers

The final paragraph:

“Collier, Samuelson and Dangerfield will be joined in the starting lineup by Megan Walker, a sophomore forward who couldn’t assert herself last season, and freshman guard Christyn Williams, who, like Walker the year before, was the consensus top high school recruit in the nation.“
I guess you are quoting Mr. Anthony, but is he quoting a team source or just making what he believes is an informed speculation?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I guess you are quoting Mr. Anthony, but is he quoting a team source or just making what he believes is an informed speculation?
I don't know. It sounds authoritative.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom