Starting Lineup | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Starting Lineup

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
As I posted just recently, based on Geno's quotes, it seems about as sure a thing as possible that MW and CW will be in the starting lineup

Not sure which article has that direct quote but this seems the newest and clearly supports this

Geno Auriemma Weighs In On UConn Expectations, Megan Walker And Corruption

Who’s Stood Out Early On
“I would say that probably the biggest 180 from last year has been Megan Walker. From the player that showed up the first week of practice last year to this year, it’s completely different. So that’s been really, really impressive to see her make that kind of jump. Most freshmen make a jump, but hers’ has been huge -- as big as any freshman I’ve seen. Now she had a long way to jump, I get that.

“Christyn Williams has come in as a freshman and kind of not acted like one. She still does things that freshmen do, but this kid doesn’t have the mindset ‘I’m a freshman.’ It’s pretty unique right now what she’s doing as a freshman.”

The Megan Walker analysis is nice to hear and funny

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Here’s a new Courant article:

Mike Anthony: Napheesa Collier, Katie Lou Samuelson And Crystal Dangerfield Are UConn's Core Of Answers

The final paragraph:

“Collier, Samuelson and Dangerfield will be joined in the starting lineup by Megan Walker, a sophomore forward who couldn’t assert herself last season, and freshman guard Christyn Williams, who, like Walker the year before, was the consensus top high school recruit in the nation.“
While I’ve always believed that there was a good chance that CW would eventually break into the starting lineup as a freshman, I’m actually a bit concerned if she’s already done so in Geno’s mind. I was hoping that one or more of the returning players would at least give her a battle for a few games into the season.

If in fact CW starts game 1 as a freshman, she’s breathing some pretty rarified air for a UConn Husky WBB player.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well, heck and golly begosh!

Wow, Geno heaps the praise on CW. (She is fearless among other things) And Lou simply said CW fits in when we play. I thought it is interesting that Crystal said that CW could bring the ball up as well as she can and she can play off the ball as a shooting guard.
I am not sure that she could run the point in a traditional sense (especially as a freshman) bit it seems they are thinking run and gun all the time.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
it seems they are thinking run and gun all the time.

That is how I see it too and that gives meaning to Geno's everyone plays a part talk. If they all chip in, all 1-11, then they may show WCBB something to have to fear and try to adapt to.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
upset. I'm NOT suggesting that UConn lost the game because of Chong. They lost the game as a team!! Several players made miscues that contributed to their defeat.
Thank you for pointing that out.

My lasting memory is of Kiah taking a three early in the shot clock late in the game. I love her to death but that was a misplay, to be polite.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Wow, Geno heaps the praise on CW. (She is fearless among other things) And Lou simply said CW fits in when we play. I thought it is interesting that Crystal said that CW could bring the ball up as well as she can and she can play off the ball as a shooting guard.
I am not sure that she could run the point in a traditional sense (especially as a freshman) bit it seems they are thinking run and gun all the time.
"Run and gun"=bad.
"Uptempo"=very good.
Huge difference.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
Your proposed starting lineup is going to be a nightmare to guard. 5 players that can beat you from behind the arc, with a pass, from mid range, or at the rim. Still think the season comes down to defense and getting a few key stops when we come up against a team that can score with us.

Defense, or I should say the lack thereof, is what cost them the game against ND and, subsequently the National Championship last season. :(

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Thank you for pointing that out.

My lasting memory is of Kiah taking a three early in the shot clock late in the game. I love her to death but that was a misplay, to be polite.

Does anyone remember whether we scored off the tip?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well, heck and golly begosh!

“Fearless and talented!” I guess that settles that.

The only unfortunate aspect of this is that Geno, Lou & Crystal just preempted about 500+ BY posts speculating on who the 5th starter will be.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

The only unfortunate aspect of this is that Geno, Lou & Crystal just preempted about 500+ BY posts speculating on who the 5th starter will be.

Fearless and supremely talented. :)

And I am glad the BY can transfer its talents from the starting 5 to other pursuits.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

You call that unfortunate. I call it a blessing. But, fear not, there will be 499 posts about how that starting 5 will last 1 exhibition game. This BY crew never lacks for the New England penchant for worry and over thinking things.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I was hoping that one or more of the returning players would at least give her a battle for a few games into the season.

Me too. I was counting on it. That at least two of the returning reserves would vie for the two open starting positions once official practice began. It appears that Williams didn't get that memo. Unless another player surges ahead in the next two weeks, Christyn will be that 5th starter. Except for Walker, Geno is not being overly complimentary about any other players thus far. This suggests that no other player has impressed him as much as Megan and Christyn have. We all know that Geno is not easily impressed, especially by freshmen. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
That pretty much had to be the starting lineup but, boy, is it a small one.

All those people who think UConn just hides all-americans on its bench need to watch this season.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

All those people who think UConn just hides all-americans on its bench need to watch this season.

Those people will see #1 , #1, #1, #3, and the runt of the litter a #6 in the starting 5. :):):)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The starting lineup in 2016-2017:

Nurse
Chong
Samuelson
Collier
Williams

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Didn't I read somewhere--here, undoubtedly--that a part of Notre Dame's game plan against UConn in the semis was to make Husky players dribble the ball because the Irish didn't believe UConn had an abundance of players who could create their own shot? And isn't CW a player who can do just that? Maybe that's a factor?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Didn't I read somewhere--here, undoubtedly--that a part of Notre Dame's game plan against UConn in the semis was to make Husky players dribble the ball because the Irish didn't believe UConn had an abundance of players who could create their own shot? And isn't CW a player who can do just that? Maybe that's a factor?

The whole create theirown shot thing is a crock, but I gave you a like because CW certainly is one. Unless you drive to the hoop like a Hobbit with a bowling ball you can't create your own shot according to way too many basketball creatins.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

This will be a small lineup. Instead of pounding opponents into submission with with size and girth, UConn will have find success using speed, cunning, physical fitness and agility and wear them down slowly with 1,000 paper cuts. :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom