Starting lineup in November | The Boneyard

Starting lineup in November

Reaction Score
Only Richie Springs, Adama Sanogo, Jordan Hawkins, Samson Johnson and Andre Jackson are returning and three transfers and two freshmen coming in. I can see Adama, Jordan and Andre starting. But the other two spots will be filled by newcomers. What do yall think?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Did you forget about Samson Johnson and Alex Karaban? Theres an outside shot that one of those 2 start and Alleyne comes off the bench but at this point it seems like the starters will be:
Newton
Hawkins
Alleyne
AJax
Sanogo
let's hope not. iffn this is the opening squad, expect many opponents to dunk/bunny us into oblivion. and iffn this is the starting group, with alex, donovan, and samson as bench spectators, it would also be coaching malpractice. olehead is right, we do have frontcourt issues, unless, once again, alex, donovan, or samson actually get serious run from day one.
Newton 6'5'' 5 rpg oboard .8
Hawkins 6'5'' 2 rpg oboard .4
Alleyne 6'4'' 3 rpg oboard .1
AJax 6'6'' 7 rpg oboard 1.1
Sanogo 6'9'' 8 rpg oboard 3.0
last season, we were 4th in the nation with around 14 oboards per game.
this, if uncorrected, would be a stark difference.
with this lineup, who will be our dunk/bunny doers?

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm sticking with my prediction for the primary starting lineup, even if the opening day lineup is different. I also think Hurley could flex the starters based on the opponent, matching size. Substituting Alleyne or Karaban in some lineups.

Newton
Hawkins
AJax
Johnson
Sanogo

Reaction Score
let's hope not. iffn this is the opening squad, expect many opponents to dunk/bunny us into oblivion. and iffn this is the starting group, with alex, donovan, and samson as bench spectators, it would also be coaching malpractice. olehead is right, we do have frontcourt issues, unless, once again, alex, donovan, or samson actually get serious run from day one.
Newton 6'5'' 5 rpg oboard .8
Hawkins 6'5'' 2 rpg oboard .4
Alleyne 6'4'' 3 rpg oboard .1
AJax 6'6'' 7 rpg oboard 1.1
Sanogo 6'9'' 8 rpg oboard 3.0
last season, we were 4th in the nation with around 14 oboards per game.
this, if uncorrected, would be a stark difference.
with this lineup, who will be our dunk/bunny doers?
You do know the starters don't play the whole game right? We could sub those other guys in believe it or not. I think it's time I muted CliffySpliffy.....

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I'm sticking with my prediction for the primary starting lineup, even if the opening day lineup is different. I also think Hurley could flex the starters based on the opponent, matching size. Substituting Alleyne or Karaban in some lineups.

Newton
Hawkins
AJax
Johnson
Sanogo
of course, this is far better from a logical perspective, but,
danny sez we're a 4 out, 1 in squad, leading to the logical question 'what will samson be doing out there?' hoisting 3s? busting breakdown moves to the rim, with a successful dime or hoop at the end?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
of course, this is far better from a logical perspective, but,
danny sez we're a 4 out, 1 in squad, leading to the logical question 'what will samson be doing out there?' hoisting 3s? busting breakdown moves to the rim, with a successful dime or hoop at the end?
Yes. Do people not understand a 4 out offense? It does not mean 4 guards. Teams playing 4 guards are likely to get run over. Johnson can shoot 3's. He has a nice baseline move to attack the basket. He can cut, catch and dunk probably better than anybody else on the roster.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
You do know the starters don't play the whole game right? We could sub those other guys in believe it or not. I think it's time I muted CliffySpliffy.....
among rj, tmart, typo, whale, jalen, and cook, we lost around
53 points (out of 75), 23 boards (out of 40), and 10 assists (out of 14) per game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Did you forget about Samson Johnson and Alex Karaban? Theres an outside shot that one of those 2 start and Alleyne comes off the bench but at this point it seems like the starters will be:
Newton
Hawkins
Alleyne
AJax
Sanogo
That's a very fair take and I tend to agree with you.

Like many here, the 4 spot is a mystery.

My hot take: no one person will play 20 minutes at the 4 at any point of the season. It hasn't happened often at UConn, but it did happen as recently as 20-21 with Polley, Whaley and Martin sharing the 4 spot.

Why? Last year, Hurley finally learned the importance of roster flexibility and outside of Sanogo, Clingan and maybe Diarra, every player on this roster will play multiple positions. As a coach, I love when that happens and I hope to see some creative lineups. While we complain about cupcakes, it will be a prime spot to play around with lineups.

Specific to the 4, I can see Jackson, Johnson, Karaban and Springs get minutes at that spot.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
On further inspection, it looks like "between" would have been correct there after all. Apparently the whole "between can only be used for two things" idea is a myth. Who knew! Between vs. Among—What’s the Difference?
no. make that 'heck no.'
by primary definition
'surrounded by; in the company of:' -among.
by primary definitions
'at, into, or across the space separating (two objects or regions).'
'in the period separating (two points in time)'
'in the interval separating (two points on a scale)' - between.

i prolly shoulda used 'amongst.' way classier.
and, grammerly is bogus. complete bogieosity. iffn u submitted a paper to me with grammerly cites, first i'd light it on fire. then, i would whizz on it, ya know, to put out the fire.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Newton
Hawkins
Alleyne
Jackson
Sanogo

Love the skill and athleticism of this team. Ball handling is going to be a question mark going in. I can see teams pressing Newton as he’s our only real option. Hope Castle reclasses.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Newton
Hawkins
Alleyne
Jackson
Sanogo

Love the skill and athleticism of this team. Ball handling is going to be a question mark going in. I can see teams pressing Newton as he’s our only real option. Hope Castle reclasses.
What? There are 4 ball handlers in that lineup. Nobody would press that lineup. Nobody would press any team that had Jackson in the back-court. We saw that last year.

Reaction Score
4 starters are set in stone. The last spot is open. It could be johnson if Hurley wants to go for length and athleticism or it could be alleyne if we go for a smaller shooting lineup. Outside chance it could be karaban to. Hurley’s history would suggest it’s johnson.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
4 starters are set in stone. The last spot is open. It could be johnson if Hurley wants to go for length and athleticism or it could be alleyne if we go for a smaller shooting lineup. Outside chance it could be karaban to. Hurley’s history would suggest it’s johnson.
Honestly, that's the more flexible lineup anyway. If you start Alleyne, there is now no depth at all behind him, Hawk and Jackson. Nobody. If you start Jackson, now Alleyne becomes the 6th man playing a lot of minutes, and can fit as a 2 or a 3, depending on who is coming out. Karaban can also be the depth at the 4, and Springs as well. With Jackson at the 4 we have too many bodies (4) at the PF spot and a total of 2 people playing the 2-3 with zero bench. And it's entirely possible that Alleyne is further along than Hawkins and Hawkins comes off the bench. I really don't know.

Reaction Score
I the last position is unknown at this time. I do think we have starting Sanogo, AJ, Hawkins and Newton. The last position could be Alleyne or a bigger guy who could shoot(Karaban or Johnson). It will be interesting if either of those 2 bigs can shoot well enough to start and also play good D. We are definitely picking up 1-2 guards so I wouldn't worry necessarily if we go small with Alleyne as a starter as we would have 2-3 backup guards on the bench. I think it will be Johnson as Hurley doesn't want to lose him. I just hope Johnson shows us more with extended time.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Honestly, that's the more flexible lineup anyway. If you start Alleyne, there is now no depth at all behind him, Hawk and Jackson. Nobody. If you start Jackson, now Alleyne becomes the 6th man playing a lot of minutes, and can fit as a 2 or a 3, depending on who is coming out. Karaban can also be the depth at the 4, and Springs as well. With Jackson at the 4 we have too many bodies (4) at the PF spot and a total of 2 people playing the 2-3 with zero bench. And it's entirely possible that Alleyne is further along than Hawkins and Hawkins comes off the bench. I really don't know.
I'm not sure how the start of game lineups will look (I imagine it will change throughout the season) but I have a strong suspicion that Jackson will spend as much time on the floor as the tallest of the four non-centers as he will with two of Sanogo/Clingan/Johnson/Karaban/Springs on the floor.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how the start of game lineups will look (I imagine it will change throughout the season) but I have a strong suspicion that Jackson will spend as much time on the floor as the tallest of the four non-centers as he will with two of Sanogo/Clingan/Johnson/Karaban/Springs on the floor.
I don't. Mostly for depth reasons based on the roster right now, but also talent wise. Another transfer could change that view. I think Johnson and Karaban will end up getting most of the minutes at the 4 spot. I don't expect Clingan or Springs to play much. I think some of Jackson's minutes at the 4 will come with Sanogo on the bench and Johnson at the 5.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
i really don't understand sum of the thinking here, where the new guys are plug and play, with an expectation that they are equal to or better than the departed.
take the rj/tristen thing, for example.
rj's record shows that he was a 19 ppg, 4 boards, 5+ assist player with 37% 3, and a 17.5 win share. his last two seasons, he played against an 8.59 and a 6.88 strength of schedule.
tristen's record shows that he is a 13 ppg, 4+ boards, 4 assist player with 31+% 3, and a 7.5 win share. his last two seasons, he played against an 3.83 and a 2.66 strength of schedule.

wait and see, it will be for me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom