Starting lineup in November | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Starting lineup in November

Reaction Score
i really don't understand sum of the thinking here, where the new guys are plug and play, with an expectation that they are equal to or better than the departed.
take the rj/tristen thing, for example.
rj's record shows that he was a 19 ppg, 4 boards, 5+ assist player with 37% 3, and a 17.5 win share. his last two seasons, he played against an 8.59 and a 6.88 strength of schedule.
tristen's record shows that he is a 13 ppg, 4+ boards, 4 assist player with 31+% 3, and a 7.5 win share. his last two seasons, he played against an 3.83 and a 2.66 strength of schedule.

wait and see, it will be for me.
Think Moneyball. Losing Giambi doesn't mean you replace him with a like for like player. The A's couldn't find another Giambi. You make the whole make up for that lost production.

Personally, I don't know how good next year's team is going to be. There are just too many new pieces to know exactly how they'll fit together. But that's the idea at least.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Think Moneyball. Losing Giambi doesn't mean you replace him with a like for like player. The A's couldn't find another Giambi. You make the whole make up for that lost production.

Personally, I don't know how good next year's team is going to be. There are just too many new pieces to know exactly how they'll fit together. But that's the idea at least.
fair enuf. so then the next question must be, after we lost between 2/3s and 3/4s of our production, and so far no stretch of the imagination for papering out newbie contributions adds up to replacement production,
where does, will it, come from?
i certainly don't know, but i am hopeful.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
On further inspection, it looks like "between" would have been correct there after all. Apparently the whole "between can only be used for two things" idea is a myth. Who knew! Between vs. Among—What’s the Difference?
Whadya got regarding when "different than" is applicable. Are there times when "different from" isn't better? Maybe you're the guy to ask.

Reaction Score

I hear you but I felt the same after the last two seasons. I did not think we could replace Vitals leadership in 20-21 and last year I thought we were toast without a go-to scorer like Bouk. I was wrong.

Reaction Score
naheim did not transfer here to not start. He’s a proven starter with 3 years of ACC experience what makes y’all think hurley is gonna start karaban or samson? AJ can play small ball 4 easily because of his athletic ability and we should be fine with that.
4 starters are set in stone. The last spot is open. It could be johnson if Hurley wants to go for length and athleticism or it could be alleyne if we go for a smaller shooting lineup. Outside chance it could be karaban to. Hurley’s history would suggest it’s johnson.

Reaction Score
Whadya got regarding when "different than" is applicable. Are there times when "different from" isn't better? Maybe you're the guy to ask.
Let me respectfully suggest that "different than" is never applicable. Nothing ever differs than something else, hence nothing is ever different than something else. A horse does not differ than a pig, hence a horse can never be different than a pig. A horse differs from a pig, hence a horse is different from a pig. "Different than" is always wrong, and egregiously so, since it literally has no meaning whatever. Worse, it leads to such misconstructions as "different than you and I" instead of "different from you and me," perhaps even more offensive than the ubiquitous "between you and I," which, between you, I and the fencepost, is another grammatical atrocity.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wonder, Mr. Ricker, what you dislike. Do you dislike correct grammar, or do you dislike the advocacy of correct grammar? If it's the insertion of a grammatical rant in a thread on next year's lineup you dislike. well, that I understand.

Reaction Score
I've never thought about that one, and I don't recall learning the "correct" way. However, as I am wont to do, I googled it, and it looks like "different from" is always acceptable. "Different than" is often accepted, but there are always people like @Sphinx who will blow a gasket. Use "than" at your own risk!

Reaction Score
let's hope not. iffn this is the opening squad, expect many opponents to dunk/bunny us into oblivion. and iffn this is the starting group, with alex, donovan, and samson as bench spectators, it would also be coaching malpractice. olehead is right, we do have frontcourt issues, unless, once again, alex, donovan, or samson actually get serious run from day one.
Newton 6'5'' 5 rpg oboard .8
Hawkins 6'5'' 2 rpg oboard .4
Alleyne 6'4'' 3 rpg oboard .1
AJax 6'6'' 7 rpg oboard 1.1
Sanogo 6'9'' 8 rpg oboard 3.0
last season, we were 4th in the nation with around 14 oboards per game.
this, if uncorrected, would be a stark difference.
with this lineup, who will be our dunk/bunny doers?
The mere removal of Martin makes this almost an automatic. But the goal is a smoother scoring option. At least that’s what I thought. One would assume Jordan Jax and adama would add at least one more board to this years numbers by experience alone.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
What? There are 4 ball handlers in that lineup. Nobody would press that lineup. Nobody would press any team that had Jackson in the back-court. We saw that last year.
I think Newton is a great player with NBA upside, excellent in the pick and roll, really good play maker. With that said he averaged 3.5 turnovers last year. Alleyne and Hawkins are off guards. Jackson can be turnover prone and with his skill set probably needs to play closer to the basket. Ball handling is certainly a question mark again. Diarra can handle the ball though so that pick up really helped.

pj

Reaction Score
i really don't understand sum of the thinking here, where the new guys are plug and play, with an expectation that they are equal to or better than the departed.
take the rj/tristen thing, for example.
rj's record shows that he was a 19 ppg, 4 boards, 5+ assist player with 37% 3, and a 17.5 win share. his last two seasons, he played against an 8.59 and a 6.88 strength of schedule.
tristen's record shows that he is a 13 ppg, 4+ boards, 4 assist player with 31+% 3, and a 7.5 win share. his last two seasons, he played against an 3.83 and a 2.66 strength of schedule.

wait and see, it will be for me.

Strength of schedule has to be complemented by assessment of strength of teammates. Newton's teammates were far weaker than RJ's, so he had fewer opportunities for assists and the defense focused more on stopping his scoring. His stats would have looked much better had his teammates been scoring threats.

It's plausible that Newton next year will be as good as RJ was last year. We'll see.

Reaction Score
@Sphinx, I am only responding because you asked. My 'dislike' of your earlier post wasn't meant to be some type of personal affront to you. I'm sorry my 'dislike' of that particular post didn't sit well with you. Reasons;
1. It's a message board about starting lineups in November and doesn't need to be cluttered with 'off topic' discussions like I'm writing now
2. It's an informal message board where the purpose of words is to communicate. Accurate communication in this forum is achieved whether something is 'different from' or 'different than'
3. The idea of grammatical correction this particular time, struck me as unnecessary, and in the same vein as being corrected for telling an ethnic joke that is now 'culturally insensitive'. It seemed more 'woke' than I cared for at that moment. My problem I suppose.

Since my response I note that @Get a Job has researched that the word use is in fact sometimes acceptable. That makes the whole point moot, but wasn't the reason I hit 'dislike' at the moment I did.

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think Newton is a great player with NBA upside, excellent in the pick and roll, really good play maker. With that said he averaged 3.5 turnovers last year. Alleyne and Hawkins are off guards. Jackson can be turnover prone and with his skill set probably needs to play closer to the basket. Ball handling is certainly a question mark again. Diarra can handle the ball though so that pick up really helped.
Just don’t see it that way. Jackson isn’t going to mostly play around the basket and he’s a very good ball handler. His turnovers come from overly creative and aggressive passing. I don’t recall anybody stealing the ball from him all year. Ball handling is going to be a strength of this team. Hawkins was the weak link but I expect him to fix that.

I confess to some confusion about the obsession with ball handling from many on this board. If your team is dribbling a lot, it’s probably not a very good team. The ball needs to move through the air as much as possible. Small, elite ball handling guards like Chris Smith have become dinosaurs, just like huge slow centers.

pj

Reaction Score
Small, elite ball handling guards like Chris Smith have become dinosaurs, just like huge slow centers.

I don't know about that, Xavier Holloway looks promising.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Just don’t see it that way. Jackson isn’t going to mostly play around the basket and he’s a very good ball handler. His turnovers come from overly creative and aggressive passing. I don’t recall anybody stealing the ball from him all year. Ball handling is going to be a strength of this team. Hawkins was the weak link but I expect him to fix that.

I confess to some confusion about the obsession with ball handling from many on this board. If your team is dribbling a lot, it’s probably not a very good team. The ball needs to move through the air as much as possible. Small, elite ball handling guards like Chris Smith have become dinosaurs, just like huge slow centers.
'Small, elite ball handling guards like Chris Smith have become dinosaurs,'

fail, bigtime.
both have 3 time all big east, and be tourney mvp on their resume, tho one has more stuff, including national champ and 2x be poy.
both are listed at 6'3, tho knowing chris a bit, and seeing the other a few times, id say their legit size is more like 6'2.
cf, gillespie, colin.

he dribbled a lot, and side to side too. prolly learned that from jalen.
chris would own the game today, with his skilz and brainpower. colin prolly learned the 'smart' stuff from smitty.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Let me respectfully suggest that "different than" is never applicable. Nothing ever differs than something else, hence nothing is ever different than something else. A horse does not differ than a pig, hence a horse can never be different than a pig. A horse differs from a pig, hence a horse is different from a pig. "Different than" is always wrong, and egregiously so, since it literally has no meaning whatever.
I was looking for an answer along the lines of what you wrote, but then surprised myself by considering someone saying, for example, "I went to New Orleans last month. It was different than I remember it," which I think is a stand-in for, "It was different from how I remember it."

Similary, people might say, "When I saw Joe recently, he looked different than he did the time before," which again stands in for, "Joe looked different from how I recalled him.". Somehow, in both examples, " different than" doesn't sound so bad. I still don't do it, but I have a greater sense of what others do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom