Starting lineup for UConn vs Rhode Island October 14 | The Boneyard

Starting lineup for UConn vs Rhode Island October 14

Reaction Score
Alright this is it, one week away. I think the competition in practice has been fierce, and too close to call at two or three positions. In light of this I think Hurley is going to lean towards his veterans starting, and let game play sort out any changes he might make over the next month or so. Which is to say that practice got you here, but in-game performance and rotational flexibility will continue to determine the starting lineup. I know Hurley doesn't tinker all that much, but I think this may be a situation where he makes adjustments.

Diarra at the point
Solo at the 2
Stewart at the 3
Karaban
SJ

Not considering fouls, the two Irishmen Mahaney and McNeeley first off the bench together for a different look.

Reaction Score
Not that it makes a damn bit of difference at this point but I fail to see how our best player isn’t starting.
Aww gee, I didn't see that coming. Jaylin Stewart is also going to have a terrific season both offensively and defensively. His rebounding will be key. I agree that great things are expected from McNeeley, and Mahaney too. I also think Tarris Reed will have a standout season. Nowell will be very good as well. Ross and Abraham might also have an impact in a busy rotation. Singare, I'm not sure, but he looks much better than last year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
AK is and will be the glue of this team but he is definitely NOT their best player. In terms of skills and athletic ability one could argue he might not be top 5.
IMG_3360.gif

Reaction Score
Not that it makes a damn bit of difference at this point but I fail to see how our best player isn’t starting.
Similar to last year’s team, it may be difficult to determine who our best player is. Sure, right now most of us assume it will be Karaban, myself included. By the midway point of the year, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was an argument for 2 or 3 other players.

Reaction Score
AK is and will be the glue of this team but he is definitely NOT their best player. In terms of skills and athletic ability one could argue he might not be top 5.
I get we have good players and guys that jump higher and run faster, but the guy who has won every championship at the high school and collegiate level, been mvp in a high school league of stars, carried his team at Pangos with 7 straight threes at the end of the game, earns 30 min a game as a frosh, is a key part of 2 dominate college championships, and is the best shooter in 2 NBA combine drills over all other players, isn't our best player or even in the top 5. Wow!! We have a team that is even better than I thought. (I admit I'm counting shooting as a skill)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Help me out here. Are you saying that McNeely who hasn’t played a down yet in a UConn uniform is our best player right now?
I have high hopes he could be by season’s end but saying that now?

Reaction Score
Alright this is it, one week away. I think the competition in practice has been fierce, and too close to call at two or three positions. In light of this I think Hurley is going to lean towards his veterans starting, and let game play sort out any changes he might make over the next month or so. Which is to say that practice got you here, but in-game performance and rotational flexibility will continue to determine the starting lineup. I know Hurley doesn't tinker all that much, but I think this may be a situation where he makes adjustments.

Diarra at the point
Solo at the 2
Stewart at the 3
Karaban
SJ

Not considering fouls, the two Irishmen Mahaney and McNeeley first off the bench together for a different look.
I think this will be how it goes Monday, but Hurley has said he will lose the locker room if he doesn't play the guys that have earned it in practice. Preseason isn't over yet so new guys haven't earned it yet by being best all through preseason. The line up vs Rhody will only be newsworthy if it isn't what you project. (Edit: The Fan Fest poster might be a hint)

Last edited:

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Help me out here. Are you saying that McNeely who hasn’t played a down yet in a UConn uniform is our best player right now?
I have high hopes he could be by season’s end but saying that now?
Played a down yet? Hopefully he never does play a down for UConn that would be a very bad thing.

Reaction Score
Unless you have access to practice and Hurley’s pre and post practice meetings it’s hard to determine who starts on this team beyond Alex and maybe Hass.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if whatever lineup we see on the 14th isn't what we see in our first true game. Hurley plays mind games like that to motivate kids. I'm also confident that I'm wrong because I haven't seen a single second of practice. That being said, I've had the same starting lineup for months and it isn't changing. I don't put much stock in practice reports.

Hass
Mahaney
McNeeley
Karaban
Reed

Under-16 subs: Stewart and Johnson (maybe Solo, but I think 3 subs at once is probably too much).

Rounding out the main 9-man rotation: Ahmad and Solo.

Battling for the last spot: Ross and Abraham.

The guards spots will be smaller than we're used to, but McNeeley is a huge SF by college standards.

I think Abraham and Ross will have the talent to play, but McNeeley/Karaban/Stewart are just on another level right now.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I also love the idea of Aiden and Liam off the bench as instant offense. Liam especially can have a similar role to Reed Sheppard or even a Rashad Anderson where scoring just comes easy to him even in the bench role.

Reaction Score
I'm skeptical that Dan Hurley would start a lineup that historically would struggle to hit 30% from 3, benching three 40% shooters.
Alex is a 39% career 3-point shooter, which means a lot more than looking good in practice. And comparing Stewart to Ray Allen?

Reaction Score
again, im not knocking AK and what he means to this team. However, he is not the best player on the team. Most valuable, yes, the best player on team not likely. If the entire team entered the draft AK would prolly be the 4th or 5th player selected. Its not a knock on him and what he means and brings to the team

the best shooter at the combine is a joke (AK is no doubt a very good outside shooter),but its a lot different shooting open uncontested jumpers. Bronny James shot well so did DC and Castle who were perceived to be weak outside shooters.
You're getting most NBA talent confused with best player. Cam Spencer was unquestionably our best offensive player last season and IMO our best overall player, he obviously wasn't getting drafted over Steph Castle.

It's weird how some in our own fanbase are underselling Karaban when the rest of college basketball recognizes he's going to be one of the best players in college basketball this season.

Reaction Score
Who’s starting is fun to discuss but likely insignificant. Hurley may start guys who’ve practiced the best to date or honor the seniority code, who knows. Who plays well and how they’re used is what’s important. I’m still super curious to where Reed and Mahaney are in terms of fit, as haven’t heard much.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom