Starting Lineup for Our Return to the BEAST | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Starting Lineup for Our Return to the BEAST

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
You have Sool in the starting lineup over a Junior Gaffney at that point.
Yea that doesn’t make sense. Junior Gaffney is starting somewhere for sure. Hell he started half the games last year.

Reaction Score
Tough choice for you with NJ guard vs NJ guard isn’t it? Kinda like the skinniest fat chick?

edit-I realize this makes me a bad person but I now find myself wanting ONLY guards from New Jersey when it’s something I never once thought of in my entire life before hearing of your bizarre stance.
He's already tried to weasel his way out of that one with me

Reaction Score
It's a rite of summer and early fall where all incoming freshmen are expected to beat out 3-4 year starters because those starters haven't become All-Americans yet
In before someone hearing that AJ is best player in practice this summer :)

Reaction Score
I'm a big fan of Gaff but won't freak out if Cole starts over him. I know what Gaff brought to the table as a frosh and have a decent feeling of what he should be able to bring as a Soph. If Cole can be better than what I expect a Soph Gaff to be, then I'm okay.
Agree. No matter who starts minutes should be pretty evenly split through the 1st half. Whoever’s playing better ball will get to lead us across the finish line. We saw glimmers of Gaff’s scoring ability last season and should expect to see more this year. It’ll be good for healthy competition between them. If Polley’s 100% he’ll get the nod for game one but if we don’t get Tulane Polley who’s rebounding the crap out of the ball we’ll see Andre, and Martin come in because as we can see Hurley wants wings who get boards

Reaction Score
Polly had one legit game. He was one of the most frustrating players I’ve watched at UCONN. Coming off a serious injury that could force a regression in his aggression, makes me seriously concerned about his play. I don’t think he’s a lock to start by a large margin.
And yet he’s still our most reliable shooter who also has shown to be clutch. We need him for spacing purposes. He’s had more than one good game. Check out how big he was for the Florida game.

I don’t worry about Polley. Best shooter at his size in college basketball.

PS: Lots of concern about Polley and Gaff on the Yard, but none regarding unproven Cole. Let’s see if he’s better than Brendan Adams first.

Reaction Score
Saying Polley had one good game is incredibly disingenuous. He was a reliable shooter all year. We don’t beat Florida without him

He had a few games where he shot the ball really well, but Tulane was the only game where he really played a "complete" game. That being said, I think Tyler can be an extremely important piece to this year's puzzle if he does nothing other than be a reliable 40+% 3 point shooter who can really take the wind out of the sail of the defense. He's our best "microwave" type shooter right now. Ideally, I'd like him in a bench role playing 15-20 mpg.

Reaction Score
He had a few games where he shot the ball really well, but Tulane was the only game where he really played a "complete" game. That being said, I think Tyler can be an extremely important piece to this year's puzzle if he does nothing other than be a reliable 40+% 3 point shooter who can really take the wind out of the sail of the defense. He's our best "microwave" type shooter right now. Ideally, I'd like him in a bench role playing 15-20 mpg.
Well he isn’t a complete player. The advocacy for starting Polley is his ability to space the floor. Which he is very proven at.

There is a misconception that all your best players need to start. We need a bonafide knock down shooter at the beginning of games. He can still play 15-20 min a game. But a line up of Cole, Bouk, Jackson, Polley, and Whaley to start games excites me. I also like Cole, Bouk, Jackson, Whaley, Sanogo. The only issue with that line up is shooting.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gaff
Bouk
Polley
Whaley
Carlton

Cole
Adams
Andre
Springs
Sanogo

Guessing Akok won’t be ready and Martin won’t get his waiver. Should be able to keep our bigs fresh and injury free and out of foul trouble. I cannot see Cole, Bouk and Andre together at once. You wouldn’t be using them to their potential. Bouk and gaff should be paired and Cole and Andre should be paired. If Adams 3pt game improves than him and Polley could share similar roles, 3 and D and rebounding. If Springs can hit the boards as hard as porkchop that’d be ideal and also both him and Whaley have a solid midrange game. With 3 big men we should be able to keep them fresh out their and also allow them to be more agressive on the boards and in the post.

Once Akok returns I would expect him to re-enter the starting lineup as the 4 and push the better performing big man to the 5. This teams gonna be good and will be able to compete with any team they’re up against. Gonna be a fun season.

Reaction Score
The interesting thing I see in these line-ups is the Jackson/Polley thing.

They are precisely opposite players. Polley is a great shooter and does nothing else. Jackson is a subpar shooter but does everything else really well. Ultimately that versatility and raw shocking athleticism should win out.

Secondly, I am strait up shocked that some people on this board think Gaffney will start over Cole. Cole is a 1st team all-conference type player for us this year. I like Gaffney, he's going to be fine. But lets get real guys. Cole is starting, pounding the rock every possession, and playing 30 mpg. Dude will have like 17 & 6 per game this year.

I don't really care who is starting day 1, but I think if we have a season and there is a tourney, at Tourney time here is our rotation:

Starters:

PG Cole - 30 min
SG Bouk - 30 min
SF Jackson - 25 min
PF Pork Chop - 20 min
C Sanogo - 20 min

Notes: This team is a beast physically. Cole will run the show on offense, with options at all 3 levels, and Jackson/Whaley will just roam around killing people on defense. This team could be a +10 rebound type dominator on the glass, as Sanogo/Whaley/Jackson/Bouk all above average at least for their position. Fun Fun FUn.

Bench:

PG Gaffney
G Adams
SF Polley
PF - Richie Springs
C Carlton

Notes: I think the Guard rotation will be pretty fun, because we have two steady guys who are reliable, and Hurley can mix/match based on game needs/fouls pretty easily. I tend to think Polley will have a perfect role on this team, just coming off the bench to sit in the corner and drain threes when the defenses collapse on dribble drive, alley oops, etc. Carlton probably will be his best self if he doesn't have to worry about starting or playing 30 minutes and can just beast mode a second team for 5 minutes per half, and Richie Springs, well we will see what we have there. If he boards and plays Defense, Im here for it.

I am cautious about Akok, and think Javonte Brown Ferguson will just not really see the court or perhaps strait redshirt due to the depth, but we will see there. Finally, Tyrese is a baller but looks like he will not get to play this year.

Javonte Brown Ferguson - Redshirt/spot minutes
Akok - Redshirt/healthy?
Tyrese Martin - Redshirt/Transfer?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
And yet he’s still our most reliable shooter who also has shown to be clutch. We need him for spacing purposes. He’s had more than one good game. Check out how big he was for the Florida game.

I don’t worry about Polley. Best shooter at his size in college basketball.

PS: Lots of concern about Polley and Gaff on the Yard, but none regarding unproven Cole. Let’s see if he’s better than Brendan Adams first.
Look at his stats.

Reaction Score

They are precisely opposite players. Polley is a great shooter and does nothing else. Jackson is a subpar shooter but does everything else really well. Ultimately that versatility and raw shocking athleticism should win out.

Secondly, I am strait up shocked that some people on this board think Gaffney will start over Cole. Cole is a 1st team all-conference type player for us this year. I like Gaffney, he's going to be fine. But lets get real guys. Cole is starting, pounding the rock every possession, and playing 30 mpg. Dude will have like 17 & 6 per game this year.

I don't really care who is starting day 1, but I think if we have a season and there is a tourney, at Tourney time here is our rotation:

Starters:

PG Cole - 30 min
SG Bouk - 30 min
SF Jackson - 25 min
PF Pork Chop - 20 min
C Sanogo - 20 min
Bench:

PG Gaffney
G Adams
SF Polley
PF - Richie Springs
C Carlton
Yea our starting lineup would be loaded but Bouk needs the ball in his hands as much as possible so when you put him with Gaff he’s gonna get more shots than when he’s with Cole. Polley is there because he can spread the court with his 3pt game.

Then I think you might see Cole with Adams and Andre because Cole and Andre need lots of chances at scoring as well. Adams is there for the 3 ball and spread the court. I just don’t see Cole, Bouk, and Andre starting and playing most of the game together. I can see that lineup when the game is on the line but I think you don’t want the 3 guys who demand the most touches on the court at the same time.

Edit also I think Javonte Brown Ferguson though young will be an important player. He’s the tallest on the team and will get frequent short shifts to give Sanogo and Carlton breathers and that’s gonna help him develop. I don’t see him redshirting if Akok and Martin aren’t good to go.

Also an interesting thing about this year from last is that we played 3-4 guards all the time last year and I’ll be interested to see if we play 3-4 guards during crunch time this year since last year we lacked big men and wing depth

Reaction Score
Yea our starting lineup would be loaded but Bouk needs the ball in his hands as much as possible so when you put him with Gaff he’s gonna get more shots than when he’s with Cole. Polley is there because he can spread the court with his 3pt game.

Then I think you might see Cole with Adams and Andre because Cole and Andre need lots of chances at scoring as well. Adams is there for the 3 ball and spread the court. I just don’t see Cole, Bouk, and Andre starting and playing most of the game together. I can see that lineup when the game is on the line but I think you don’t want the 3 guys who demand the most touches on the court at the same time.

Edit also I think Javonte Brown Ferguson though young will be an important player. He’s the tallest on the team and will get frequent short shifts to give Sanogo and Carlton breathers and that’s gonna help him develop. I don’t see him redshirting if Akok and Martin aren’t good to go.

Also an interesting thing about this year from last is that we played 3-4 guards all the time last year and I’ll be interested to see if we play 3-4 guards during crunch time this year since last year we lacked big men and wing depth

Cole is starting. But everything else makes sense.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It was one game
It was a great game. And in the games leading up to it you saw Polley taking it to the rim more and more, with improving results. He was moving the ball around better and increasing his presence on the boards. We were seeing a player increasing in confidence. In that game it all came together, it wasn't the come out of nowhere fluke you are insinuating.

Reaction Score

Starters:

PG Cole - 30 min
SG Bouk - 30 min
SF Jackson - 25 min
PF Pork Chop - 20 min
C Sanogo - 20 min

Notes: This team is a beast physically. Cole will run the show on offense, with options at all 3 levels, and Jackson/Whaley will just roam around killing people on defense. This team could be a +10 rebound type dominator on the glass, as Sanogo/Whaley/Jackson/Bouk all above average at least for their position. Fun Fun FUn.

Bench:

PG Gaffney
G Adams
SF Polley
PF - Richie Springs
C Carlton

Cole is not better than Gaff as a point guard and distributor. In addition, he hasn't proven himself yet at this level. Despite that you and a majority of posters have him starting over a guy who was at the forefront along with Bouk for our turnaround last year and a guy who replaced Rique who out of high-school was a McDonald's All American whereas Cole was recruited by nobody but Howard out of high-school.

In his last year at Howard, Cole the MEAC player of the year led the team to a 17-17 record, and at the same time did not make the NCAA tournament.

You need shooting to space the floor in basketball unless you have Shaq or Duncan or Garnett down in the post where you can just bully teams. Tyler Polley is a solid player and a sniper from 3. He definitely belongs as a starter, and is one of our best players. I'm high on AJacks, and have him as a starter next to Polley and Whaley until Akok's return.

Reaction Score
Cole is not better than Gaff as a point guard and distributor. In addition, he hasn't proven himself yet at this level. Despite that you and a majority of posters have him starting over a guy who was at the forefront along with Bouk for our turnaround last year and a guy who replaced Rique who out of high-school was a McDonald's All American whereas Cole was recruited by nobody but Howard out of high-school.

In his last year at Howard, Cole the MEAC player of the year led the team to a 17-17 record, and at the same time did not make the NCAA tournament.

You need shooting to space the floor in basketball unless you have Shaq or Duncan or Garnett down in the post where you can just bully teams. Tyler Polley is a solid player and a sniper from 3. He definitely belongs as a starter, and is one of our best players. I'm high on AJacks, and have him as a starter next to Polley and Whaley until Akok's return.

Ya, I mean I'll screenshot this and we can just rehash after the first 5-10 games of the season. Madness.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom