Starting Lineup for Our Return to the BEAST | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Starting Lineup for Our Return to the BEAST

Reaction Score
Locks: Bouk, Cole, Whalley
If healthy: Polley
Next: No clue
Andre Jackson starts on Day 1 or plays starter minutes by season end. There’s enough talent there that you let him work through the freshman kinks like DH did with Bouk.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Andre Jackson starts on Day 1 or plays starter minutes by season end. There’s enough talent there that you let him work through the freshman kinks like DH did with Bouk.
Doubt he starts day 1, bouk couldn't even crack the lineup until polley went down. But hopefully shows enough to be playing that much like bouk did.

Reaction Score
Doubt he starts day 1, bouk couldn't even crack the lineup until polley went down. But hopefully shows enough to be playing that much like bouk did.

lol, a lot happened in a year. bouk & jackson are the stars. so we’re banking on carlton? ...........gotta say i haven’t been this alive since 2015

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Sanogo beats out Carlton at center.
Id be very surprised if he doesn't. Sanogo looks like a beast who doesn't care who he's going up against. He's going to give them hell for every minute he's in there.

Reaction Score
Why is Jackson (an unproven freshman) being so 'starter' hyped in this thread? Is he that good to start, pushing Polley to the bench or even if Hurley starts 3 guards (Bouk, Gaffney, Coles)?

I haven't seen him play other than a few mixtapes. Just asking if he's really BE ready on Game 1.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Why is Jackson (an unproven freshman) being so 'starter' hyped in this thread? Is he that good to start, pushing Polley to the bench or even if Hurley starts 3 guards (Bouk, Gaffney, Coles)?

I haven't seen him play other than a few mixtapes. Just asking if he's really BE ready on Game 1.

It's a rite of summer and early fall where all incoming freshmen are expected to beat out 3-4 year starters because those starters haven't become All-Americans yet

Reaction Score
It's a rite of summer and early fall where all incoming freshmen are expected to beat out 3-4 year starters because those starters haven't become All-Americans yet
Yeah thanks for the reminder.

I do remember Freshman Boat, the our legend out of Chicago, being hyped for starting over sophomore Bazz. And yes, that was around August/September.

Reaction Score
I can see us starting 2 pg's...Cole, Gaffney, Bouknight, Polley, Whaley with Jackson taking Polley's spot pretty quickly.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If Jackson can defend and mix it up for the boards, Polley isn't going to see the floor except when DH feels he needs some 3 pt shooting. I just don't see Polley coming back and eager to get physical - something that doesn't come naturally for him.
Hopefully this isn't the case but my gut tells me he will be a bit timid (and I don't blame him for that at all)

Reaction Score
Cole
Bouk
Jackson
Whaley
Carlton

While I don't think this is necessarily our best lineup, I think it's the most likely lineup we see to start the year. Hurley seems to be one of those coaches where he makes the young guys earn it and gives the vets a chance to start for putting in the work the previous year(s).

Of course, by my own logic that would mean Polley would be the 3 and not Jackson. But Jackson has such a diverse skillet it's easy to justify his spot in the starting lineup, and his athleticism combined with Bouk's may be too tantalizing for Hurley to pass up. Throw in the fact that Polley is coming off of a major injury and I can see Hurley viewing him as the first forward off the bench that he puts in when the team is in need of some shooting.

It's really nice to have options again, lol.

Reaction Score
Cole
Bouk
Jackson
Whaley
Carlton

To start the season thats what i see as well. I son't see Hurley as the type to rush Polley back but rather integrate him in game situations to get his feet wet again. Early and often subs as well across the board.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yeah thanks for the reminder.

I do remember Freshman Boat, the our legend out of Chicago, being hyped for starting over sophomore Bazz. And yes, that was around August/September.

The Boat over Bazz conversations wouldn't be in the top 20 of overreactions of newcomers replacing returning players on this forum. Freshman Bazz wasn't anything spectacular and Boat proved his mettle along the way.

Reaction Score
To start the season thats what i see as well. I son't see Hurley as the type to rush Polley back but rather integrate him in game situations to get his feet wet again. Early and often subs as well across the board.

Yeah nas and Lurk that's where I am also. Believe DH starts with this lineup for various reasons including the Polley injury as well as kids earning time, and heck if it stays this way that would mean Carlton moved more towards the end of his soph year with improvement so we become even deeper. Also believe vs others lineups things may change as the season progresses. As Lurk said it's really nice to have options again.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah nas and Lurk that's where I am also. Believe DH starts with this lineup for various reasons including the Polley injury as well as kids earning time, and heck if it stays this way that would mean Carlton moved more towards the end of his soph year with improvement so we become even deeper. Also believe vs others lineups things may change as the season progresses. As Lurk said it's really nice to have options again.
I think our depth allows us to play Hurley basketball with aggressive defense that is fundamentally sound and doesn't gamble.

Reaction Score
Polley isn't starting.

Polley is our most solid player outside of Bouk and our best perimeter shooter who happens to be 6’9. He’s definitely starting and rightfully so.

Why everyone has Cole starting is ridiculous. Gaffney should be the starter.

Ideally Akok should be starting next to Polley and Whaley with Andre first guy off the bench.

AJacks needs to work on his shot.

Reaction Score
Polley is our most solid player outside of Bouk and our best perimeter shooter who happens to be 6’9. He’s definitely starting and rightfully so.

Ideally Akok should be starting next to Polley and Whaley with Andre first guy off the bench.

Yep all Polley needed was some beef on his bones to help rebounding and was rebounding pretty well a few games before the injury.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I'm a big fan of Gaff but won't freak out if Cole starts over him. I know what Gaff brought to the table as a frosh and have a decent feeling of what he should be able to bring as a Soph. If Cole can be better than what I expect a Soph Gaff to be, then I'm okay.

Agree a healthy Polley is starting, and I agree for the reasons you stated.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

I agree Gaff is starting over Cole, but Polley had one good game. He barely rebounded, barely played defense, and couldn't dribble. He'd be perfect for a first off the bench, catch a shoot player. A three-guard lineup or Jackson as our 3 would be better. Our guards played better defense and rebounded better than him. Look at his stats from last year, they're not impressive. He had 5 games out of 15 where he had over 3 rebounds. Off the bench, catch and shoot would fit him perfectly

Reaction Score

Tough choice for you with NJ guard vs NJ guard isn’t it? Kinda like the skinniest fat chick?

edit-I realize this makes me a bad person but I now find myself wanting ONLY guards from New Jersey when it’s something I never once thought of in my entire life before hearing of your bizarre stance.

Reaction Score

Polly had one legit game. He was one of the most frustrating players I’ve watched at UCONN. Coming off a serious injury that could force a regression in his aggression, makes me seriously concerned about his play. I don’t think he’s a lock to start by a large margin.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom