Starting lineup for first game in November | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Starting lineup for first game in November

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Somebody explain the Jackson love to me. It’s like a cult. Guy had a highlight reel dunk and woul foul out if they gave you 12, can’t shoot. So far he has been Sid Wilson without Sid’s shot and more fouls.
You really just pop up out of nowhere to post something negative just to get a rise out of people. Seriously why even ask this question?

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Where is the explanation? I'm just as curious.
He’s a phenomenal athlete with amazing court vision and defensive potential. He was hurt and played during a stupid COVID year and still showed sequences of being a real difference maker. Dan Hurley says he sees him being an NBA level point guard. Please stop acting stupid, although at this point it might not be an act for the people that hate Jackson for no reason.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
We literally return 4 starters from a tourney team that finished 3rd in the big east.

Cole
Hawkins/proven transfer
Martin
Whaley
Sanogo

Jackson could potentially beat out Martin. Martin playing the 4 a bunch. Gaffney playing a prototypical combo guard role, in with a lot of 3 guard lineups. Hawkins playing the 3 in 3 guard looks. Diggins playing like the 2010-2011 Shabazz role. Where he ended up playing a lot, we could all tell how good he was going to be. Johnson spelling Sanogo and Whaley, maybe 10-12 minutes. Akok limited with his quick leaping and agility still hampered from the Achilles injury. Overall a much more guard oriented team that presses a bunch. That’s kind of how I see it playing out. I also think that our second chance op/put back game will be much stronger. A lot of these weak Whaley and Martin put backs would have been dunks with a crowd. I also think we flat out got unlucky with rolls and non-calls on fouls. Teams that offensive board like we do normally get fouled a lot more than we did.

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I think we’ll be better for a few reasons. But mainly this will be a more team-oriented squad. Everyone expected Bouknight to play hero ball and it hurt us as a team last year - this year I think we can get legitimate contributions from 7-8 players.

Reaction Score
He’s a phenomenal athlete with amazing court vision and defensive potential. He was hurt and played during a stupid COVID year and still showed sequences of being a real difference maker. Dan Hurley says he sees him being an NBA level point guard. Please stop acting stupid, although at this point it might not be an act for the people that hate Jackson for no reason.
Seriously, he had more fouls than points. 44 fouls, 43 points. This board, and lots of ranking sites, fall in love with athleticism which can dominate in high school and on the AAU circuit. But to dominate in college you need more than just athleticism. Especially to be a dominant back court player.

Reaction Score
I don't think we need to chastise Jackson skeptics. I err on the side of the Jackson optimists, as he was only a freshman after all, and he showed some glimpses that might lead one to believe he is going to be a breakout star. That said, one is not "acting stupid" when they point out that, regardless of the excuses, he was an ineffective college basketball player last season. I think he will be good to great, but if he has 3 more seasons like the last one, the wait-and-seers won't look so stupid.

(Now look what you made me do! Defending @freescooter! I never!)

Reaction Score
First of all @Psolo12 , the question wasn't directed at you. Try reading and comprehending the posts leading up to mine. Sometimes not replying to every single post is the prudent thing to do on here. Trust me, I'm not the stupid one. Try the mirror if that's who you're looking for.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
as an early fan of ajax's energy, attitude, and bigtime potential, i remain so. the only change in thought is that he could be a scorer with that profile, but, for now, a 'shooter' is off the table. watch closely his 3 attempts, or other floor shots when not stationary, ie, not 2 feet firmly planted, ie a jump shot. both hands mostly remain on the same plane upon release - a jumping 2-handed shot. not repeatable as each time the 'role' of each hand is confused. period. these players can be hot and in the groove, or stone cold, but never predictably consistent as to their shooting. scoring is a separate matter.
can it be corrected? yes, at this stage of his development.
will it be corrected? idk.
i have a sneaking feeling that his hands are undersized for his frame, precluding a dominant role for his shooting hand. many pros became reasonably successful with a similar profile due to energy, athleticism, and superior bb iq, but almost none became leading bucket getters, unless they only rarely had to 'shoot' as opposed to just drop the biscuit in the basket. exhibit 'a' to the extreme -shaquille.
a fantastic and winning scorer, yet rarely required to 'shoot.' don't get ur panties in a bunch as i said 'to the extreme' in order to demonstrate a point.
on the udder hand, and also to the extreme, not having 'any' shot won't 100% keep some players from the bigtime. think dennis rodman, an important, successful, and winning player who probably missed the bowl half the time after wiping in his daily constitutional.
mr 'sool' also looks a bit like mark jackson in his stroke, that sorta 2 handed thing. no big for me. i'd take a mark jackson on my squad all week long, and twice on sundays. here's to hoping.
and don't even bring the 'passing accuracy' thing to the argument-a pass is not the same thing as a shot, for the obvious reason of margin for error.

Last edited:

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
First of all @Psolo12 , the question wasn't directed at you. Try reading and comprehending the posts leading up to mine. Sometimes not replying to every single post is the prudent thing to do on here. Trust me, I'm not the stupid one. Try the mirror if that's who you're looking for.
You're saying that your assessment of Jackson, as some random dude on the BY, is more prudent than Dan Hurley and countless other basketball coaches. Please get a grip.

Reaction Score
You're saying that your assessment of Jackson, as some random dude on the BY, is more prudent than Dan Hurley and countless other basketball coaches. Please get a grip.
I’m happy to be wrong about Jackson. There is a solid chance that he will be a good to very good player. Maybe even outstanding. but you really need to take coaches’ comments on recruits with a grain of salt. And as for recruiting services, they are what they are. And they tend to over value athleticism. Great athletes can dominate at lower levels. As the levels increase more skills are required. As I said the kid had 44 fouls and 43 points. He has a way to go.

Reaction Score
I never have given my assessment of Jackson or any other player past or present. Again we are back to your comprehending skills.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Somebody explain the Jackson love to me. It’s like a cult. Guy had a highlight reel dunk and woul foul out if they gave you 12, can’t shoot. So far he has been Sid Wilson without Sid’s shot and more fouls.

Where is the explanation? I'm just as curious.
Was this message not you agreeing with Freescooter's analysis? "I'm just as curious" meaning you, like Freescooter, don't understand the love of Jackson, think all he does is foul out and can't shoot, and thinks he's worse than Sid Wilson. Therefore, you would think that assessment of Jackson is more astute than Dan Hurley's and other coaches who rave about his BBIQ, his athleticism, and his massive potential.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
I don't think we need to chastise Jackson skeptics. I err on the side of the Jackson optimists, as he was only a freshman after all, and he showed some glimpses that might lead one to believe he is going to be a breakout star. That said, one is not "acting stupid" when they point out that, regardless of the excuses, he was an ineffective college basketball player last season. I think he will be good to great, but if he has 3 more seasons like the last one, the wait-and-seers won't look so stupid.

(Now look what you made me do! Defending @freescooter! I never!)
Again, he was a freshman who started the year coming off a knee surgery and was playing during a weird year with constant COVID pauses against high major competition for the first time. People with way more basketball knowledge than anyone here say he's going to be a stud. There's no reason to think he won't improve greatly.

Reaction Score
Was this message not you agreeing with Freescooter's analysis? "I'm just as curious" meaning you, like Freescooter, don't understand the love of Jackson, think all he does is foul out and can't shoot, and thinks he's worse than Sid Wilson. Therefore, you would think that assessment of Jackson is more astute than Dan Hurley's and other coaches who rave about his BBQ, his athleticism, and his massive potential.
Start at post #100 when @freescooter made his comments. Post #101 was not a response to his post, but a less than called for reply.(kind of like yours towards me) Post #102 is where I stated my curiosity. Nowhere in that exchange did I imply that I agreed or disagreed with anyone or any statement. You need to start worrying about you and not assume that you know what I think. Trust me, if I'm curious, have an opinion or state something as a fact, you'll know because I won't leave any doubt if you have minimal comprehensive abilities.

SteelCT

Student of the Game
Reaction Score
Cole
jackson? Hawkins?
Martin
Akok
Whaley
It would really surprise me if Adama got dropped from the starting 5 as he was one of our best/most consistent players last year and looks to continue to improve. Akok will have a lot to prove this year, and hopefully comes in with a chip on his shoulder. Can’t realistically see a freshman starting for us game 1 as they transition to the size and speed of D1 basketball. With that said:
Cole
Jackson
Martin
Whaley
Sanogo
This would be if I had to put money on it.

Reaction Score
Cole
jackson? Hawkins?
Martin
Akok
Whaley

Wow why no Sanogo? He is pretty much our only hope of domination in the paint and go-to scorer from what I see or we will be coming up empty on offense quite often. He's also our hope to open up the perimeter as they double down from all over to help. He has to be in the line up i think. Curious as to why he isn't in yours?

Reaction Score
Wow why no Sanogo? He is pretty much our only hope of domination in the paint and go-to scorer from what I see or we will be coming up empty on offense quite often. He's also our hope to open up the perimeter as they double down from all over to help. He has to be in the line up i think. Curious as to why he isn't in yours?
I kinda Agree but do you brung Whaley off bench? If Akok is healthy he’s awesome

Reaction Score
I kinda Agree but do you brung Whaley off bench? If Akok is healthy he’s awesome

Yeah tough working around those 3 and finding 2 for the minutes. Akok for now has to prove he will come back and if he is 100% it will be a nice problem to have no doubt.

Reaction Score
I’m happy to be wrong about Jackson. There is a solid chance that he will be a good to very good player. Maybe even outstanding. but you really need to take coaches’ comments on recruits with a grain of salt. And as for recruiting services, they are what they are. And they tend to over value athleticism. Great athletes can dominate at lower levels. As the levels increase more skills are required. As I said the kid had 44 fouls and 43 points. He has a way to go.
Agreed. And Hopeful. But still feeling burned by the Sid Wilson expectations...

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Cole, Gaffney, Martin, Whaley, Sanogo. Subject to change.

Reaction Score
It would really surprise me if Adama got dropped from the starting 5 as he was one of our best/most consistent players last year and looks to continue to improve. Akok will have a lot to prove this year, and hopefully comes in with a chip on his shoulder. Can’t realistically see a freshman starting for us game 1 as they transition to the size and speed of D1 basketball. With that said:
Cole
Jackson
Martin
Whaley
Sanogo
This would be if I had to put money on it.

Jackson as the shooting guard? Love his other abilities, but this lineup lacks shooting. Say Hello to zone defenses daring us to shoot.

SteelCT

Student of the Game
Reaction Score
Jackson as the shooting guard? Love his other abilities, but this lineup lacks shooting. Say Hello to zone defenses daring us to shoot.
While you are right that he can’t shoot he is perfect for the middle of a zone. Martin and Jackson can be switch, 2/3, doesnt matter. Put Andre at the free throw line and let him distribute with Martin and Cole up high who can shoot, big guys down low for the dump off.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Cole & Sanogo are two that I believe are absolute certainties, and the next closest person is Whalley

When we had a run of great point guards, they all benefited from having a tutor to learn from

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom