Starting lineup for first game in November | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Starting lineup for first game in November

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I agree with you, but Kemba potentially would have started as a freshman on this roster. He had AJ Price ahead of him, who was light years ahead of Cole and Gaffney. That was a final four team.
You are right on Kemba but part of it is not only how good you are coming out of HS but how good the players on the are already. Kemba had senior year AJ Price, junior year Dyson and senior Austrie in front of him.

These incoming guards have Cole and Gaffney.

Not saying these new players will or won't be able to overtake the existing roster players but the bar for overtaking is lower than what Kemba had as a freshman.

Damn. You got in your reply while I was typing my reply.

Reaction Score
I agree with you, but Kemba potentially would have started as a freshman on this roster. He had AJ Price ahead of him, who was light years ahead of Cole and Gaffney. That was a final four team.
Kemba as a freshman couldn't shoot and over penetrated all the time, he played like a freshman. Sure he would start over Gaff and maybe Cole but Diggins and Hawkins are not as highly rated as Kemba was either.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Lol I can't even figure out what's going on here. Akok at the 3??????????? This may be the worst shooting lineup in the history of basketball.

We don't know our full roster yet obviously, but if I had to guess right now based off who we have it would be...

Starters
Cole
Gaffney
Martin
Akok (assuming fully healthy)
Sanogo

Bench
Jackson
Hawkins
Diggins
Springs
Johnson
please not cole and gaff starting...

Reaction Score
If you don't think Cole, Martin, Jackson, and Sonogo are all starters next year you are wildly unrealistic. I think Diggins has a chance to crack the starting 5 at some point probably taking the last spot from Gaffney ONCE he's proven himself. Akok to me seems likely to be that big minutes guy off the bench (6th man of the year type) next season as he finally gets back in the swing of things.

Gaffney
Cole
Jackson
Martin
Sonogo

Diggins as a maybe second halfish of the year

Akok always first off the bench and might even get more minutes than some starters

Johnson and Hawkins will be the only other guys to get real minutes off the bench that are currently on the roster other than Whaley or Polley (have they been confirmed as not coming back yet?)

Reaction Score
Here is what I came up for the starting lineup for game one of the 2021-22 season in November

Guards
Rashool Diggins
Tyrese Martin

Forwards
Akok Akok

Center
Adama Sanogo
Samson Johnson

For the subs
Guard: Jordan Hawkins, Jalen Gaffney and RJ Cole
Forwards: Andre Jackson
I tried to think of a worse starting lineup and I don't think it's possible. Akok at the 3?

Reaction Score
The whole point is to get freshmen who will fit into your style of coaching. And so I am assuming that Rashool Diggins and Samson Johnson are going to fit in. Therefore they should have to fit in the starting lineup. I dont see how Cole or Gaffney could start. Both are horrible. They miss free throws and shots within. 20 feet of the basket. Therefore we need something else. Two centers makes sense because we could make one of them a forward.

Reaction Score
After watching Baylor and Gonzaga score at a prolific rate with four shooters on the court at most times, I'm concerned about UConn's lack of 3 point shooting in many of these potential lineups. I sincerely hope we can add an experienced shooter like Locke. Incremental improvement from others--especially Jackson--is obviously paramount.

On paper, I'm much more confident about the 2022-2023 season compared to 2021-2022. A lot of "assuming" and "ifs".

Reaction Score
I guess will have to wait another season (of course in perpetuity) until people realize that freshman are unpredictable and rarely pegged to start when there are already proven and tested veterans. Martin, Cole, Jackson and Sanogo leaving 1 slot to fight over. I see Jackson taking Bouks spot (not position), who takes Whaley's?

Unfortunately anyway you look at it, we are lacking knock-down shooters right now.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My November starting lineup, without considering transfers (who could start).

PG Cole
SG Gaffney/Martin
SF Jackson
PF Akok
C Sanogo

Don't think any freshman land starting jobs, if they do, until later in the year. I expect lots of competition. There are people pushing all these guys except Sanogo. He's really the only lock to start all year.

Reaction Score
If you don't think Cole, Martin, Jackson, and Sonogo are all starters next year you are wildly unrealistic. I think Diggins has a chance to crack the starting 5 at some point probably taking the last spot from Gaffney ONCE he's proven himself. Akok to me seems likely to be that big minutes guy off the bench (6th man of the year type) next season as he finally gets back in the swing of things.

Gaffney
Cole
Jackson
Martin
Sonogo

Akok always first off the bench and might even get more minutes than some starters

Johnson and Hawkins will be the only other guys to get real minutes off the bench that are currently on the roster other than Whaley or Polley (have they been confirmed as not coming back yet?)

Updated from the news....

Cole
Martin
Jackson
Whaley
Sonogo

Reaction Score
Cole and Martin averaged over 30 minutes/game this past season, Whaley average 28. If healthy, they will start. Sanogo improved throughout the season and will start at center. Maybe one of the incoming guards bests Gaffney for a starting spot. I see Jackson as the first guy off of the bench for now. If his shot develops, he'll be hard to keep off of the floor.

Reaction Score
Cole and Martin averaged over 30 minutes/game this past season, Whaley average 28. If healthy, they will start. Sanogo improved throughout the season and will start at center. Maybe one of the incoming guards bests Gaffney for a starting spot. I see Jackson as the first guy off of the bench for now. If his shot develops, he'll be hard to keep off of the floor.
This is the key for Jackson starting. If he doesn't develop his shot we can't afford him to start being a black hole on offense. For a top 100 kid I have never seen anyone that deficient I can remember on the offensive side of the ball besides some nice passing at times.

Reaction Score
cole (20) - gaff (10) - digg (10)
transfer (20) - hawk (15) - gaff (5)
aj (15) - martin (15) - polley (10)
whaley (15) - akok (20) - polley (5)
sanogo (25) - whaley (10) - springs (5)

totals:
25- whaley, sanogo
20- cole, transfer, akok
15- gaff, hawk, aj, martin, polley
10- digg
5- springs

bench- johnson (but is hurley really going to play 12 guys???)

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Gaffney
Cole
Jackson
Martin
Sonogo

Martin isn't starting next year

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Here is what I came up for the starting lineup for game one of the 2021-22 season in November

Guards
Rashool Diggins
Tyrese Martin

Forwards
Akok Akok

Center
Adama Sanogo
Samson Johnson

For the subs
Guard: Jordan Hawkins, Jalen Gaffney and RJ Cole
Forwards: Andre Jackson
Don't drink and post.