Starting Line-up is Broken | The Boneyard

Starting Line-up is Broken

Reaction Score
Another night, we hit the 10 minute mark and have 10-13 points and Sanogo in foul trouble.

Last night Sanogo plays 25 minutes and Whaley 37, that’s a problem as Whaley scores 2 points and goes 1-6. Sanogo collects 11 points, going 3-6.

If we have 5 guys with Isiah’s production, we are scoring 10 -12 points a game as a team. It’s insanity. 2 points in 37 minutes, doesn’t work.

The starting lineup needs to be revamped - At least Gaffney, Hawkins and Polley have the potential to hit some shots. However, Polley can't create on his own and by the time he comes in Sanogo goes to bench with fouls. Therefore, there’s not the collapse defense that would give him and Hawkins space. Meanwhile, we pretend we have a stretch 4.

We need to start:
Sanogo
Cole
Martin/Jackson
Gaffney
Hawkins/Polley

Yes, there is nothing wrong with going with a hot hand and with this team Chief is not going to pretend I know who he is ahead of time. I do know Gaffney gives us another ball handler and penetrator. Sanogo with the current starting lineup gets straight up doubled - the opponent doesn’t even try to disguise where it is coming from.

We need to run and pressure on defense but not with a 6-10 230 pd guy chasing point guards 25 feet from the basket.

Two PG ball handlers gives us another dimension and makes our offensive less predictable and limited.

As much as we handicap ourselves with the starting lineup opening 10 minutes of Rock Fight, we still almost win. Eliminate that torture and we start beating good teams consistently.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Another night, we hit the 10 minute mark and have 10-13 points and Sanogo in foul trouble.

Last night Sanogo plays 25 minutes and Whaley 37, that’s a problem as Whaley scores 2 points and goes 1-6. Sanogo collects 11 points, going 3-6.

If we have 5 guys with Isiah’s production, we are scoring 10 -12 points a game as a team. It’s insanity. 2 points in 37 minutes, doesn’t work.

The starting lineup needs to be revamped - At least Gaffney, Hawkins and Polley have the potential to hit some shots. However, Polley can't create on his own and by the time he comes in Sanogo goes to bench with fouls. Therefore, there’s not the collapse defense that would give him and Hawkins space. Meanwhile, we pretend we have a stretch 4.

We need to start:
Sanogo
Cole
Martin/Jackson
Gaffney
Hawkins/Polley

Yes, there is nothing wrong with going with a hot hand and with this team Chief is not going to pretend I know who he is ahead of time. I do know Gaffney gives us another ball handler and penetrator. Sanogo with the current starting lineup gets straight up doubled - the opponent doesn’t even try to disguise where it is coming from.

We need to run and pressure on defense but not with a 6-10 230 pd guy chasing point guards 25 feet from the basket.

Two PG ball handlers gives us another dimension and makes our offensive less predictable and limited.

As much as we handicap ourselves with the starting lineup opening 10 minutes of Rock Fight, we still almost win. Eliminate that torture and we start beating good teams consistently.
Agreed wholeheartedly. We need more ballhandlers and guards. This is not 90s NBA Hurley. And for the love of God can someone please teach Sanogo how to pass out of double team. If I see one approach him for him to turn and attack anyways I'm going to lose it.

Reaction Score

We need to start:
Sanogo
Cole
Martin/Jackson
Gaffney
Hawkins/Polley

Close. It needs to be Cole, Gaffney/Hawkins, Martin, Jackson and Sanogo.

Need Martin and Jackson both in starting lineup. But Jackson is a point forward - not sure why we’re treating him like a guard. And he can’t play with Whaley at the 4, just completely limits our offense.

Reaction Score

We need to start:
Sanogo
Cole
Martin/Jackson
Gaffney
Hawkins/Polley

Gaffney should be starting, he’s a threat to score either on the fast break, from three point line or driving to the basket with an interior pass or going up for a score. With him in the game at the point this also frees up Cole to concentrate on putting the ball in the hoop, and teams can’t really double team him in this situation. Whaley comes in to give Sanogo, Jackson or Martin a rest. Hurley definitely misses having the Akok Akok option.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The spacing a Polley -Sanogo front court creates helps both players and the team so much. You don’t have to guard Whaley unless he’s a foot from the hoop and even then he’s 50/50.

I like a lineup of

Cole
Hawkins
Martin
Polley
Whaley

4 guys who can hit a 3 and back to the basket god. Our current lineup has 2 guys who are offensive nonentities

Reaction Score
I agree the starting lineup needs to change.

However, I'm not sold on having Cole and Gaffney playing together.

Look, Gaffney played well in 13 minutes last night, but he played together with Cole for like three of those minutes (I can't confirm that, that's just my guess based on Cole's foul trouble and some quick math from looking at the box score). Having our backcourt at 6'0 and 6'3 makes me a little scared on the defensive end, especially since all of the top teams in the Big East have more size than that in the backcourt.

In general, we need more shooters. I'd never want more than three of Sanogo/Whaley/Jackson/Martin on the court at once and I'd prefer to not have two of Whaley/Jackson/Martin on the court at once.

I'd like to see a starting lineup of Cole-Hawkins-Martin-Whaley-Sanogo with Jackson getting "starters minutes" off the bench. Also, at least one of Hawkins/Polley should be on the floor at all times to ensure we have a guy whose #1 priority on offense is to get open outside looks.

I don't know where that puts Gaffney. Cole needs to play 30+ minutes but I also don't like Gaffney and Cole together yet.

At the very least, Gaffney is showing he can handle closer to starter minutes if/when Cole doesn't return for a fifth season...Something of like a Gaffney/Diggins 25/15 minute split for 22-23.

Reaction Score
The spacing a Polley -Sanogo front court creates helps both players and the team so much. You don’t have to guard Whaley unless he’s a foot from the hoop and even then he’s 50/50.

I like a lineup of

Cole
Hawkins
Martin
Polley
Whaley

4 guys who can hit a 3 and back to the basket god. Our current lineup has 2 guys who are offensive nonentities
He also 50/50 when rebounds bounce off his fingers.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
At the very least, Gaffney is showing he can handle closer to starter minutes if/when Cole doesn't return for a fifth season...Something of like a Gaffney/Diggins 25/15 minute split for 22-23.

Have we been watching the same games? Gaffney has like 20 points in the last 2 months.

A Gaffney/Diggins back court would be disastrous.

Reaction Score
Gaffney should be starting, he’s a threat to score either on the fast break, from three point line or driving to the basket with an interior pass or going up for a score. With him in the game at the point this also frees up Cole to concentrate on putting the ball in the hoop, and teams can’t really double team him in this situation. Whaley comes in to give Sanogo, Jackson or Martin a rest. Hurley definitely misses having the Akok Akok option.

Gaff starting is certainly not the answer I mean please let’s not go crazy over the kid having one decent half he’s been dreadful for all games outside cupcakes.

The truth is we don’t have a great starting lineup but the answers for change all have various weaknesses as well. Reality is not bringing in a solid grad transfer turned out to be very painful.

Reaction Score
Gaffney played well last night. I hope it continues. But it was 13 good minutes from a player who hasn’t contributed in two months. We all know he’s capable of more than he’s been giving us, which implies it’s largely about a loss of confidence. Hopefully yesterday gets him over the hump and he goes back to being last year’s Gaffney.

But it was 13 good minutes. Being hopeful is natural. REaching the conclusion that he can help us every day is overly optimistic.

Reaction Score
All these posts are correct. The focus though is on the offensive side, just not enough offense is obvious.
But these changes need to be made from a defensive point of view as our interior defense has evaporated too. Blown coverages galore.

Reaction Score
Have we been watching the same games? Gaffney has like 20 points in the last 2 months.

Let me remind you that Jalen Gaffney was very highly recruited, he was a high 4 star recruit with a 0.9545 rating. He chose UConn over Clemson, Xavier, Florida, Louisville and Virginia Tech. The kid just needs to play more and needs a confidence builder. He needs to start at the point with Cole the off guard, along with Sanogo, Martin, and Jackson. Hawkins/Polley/Akok off the bench. Cole’s more effective at the 2 anyway, for a lot of reasons.

Reaction Score
Let me remind you that Jalen Gaffney was very highly recruited, he was a high 4 star recruit with a 0.9545 rating. He chose UConn over Clemson, Xavier, Florida, Louisville and Virginia Tech. The kid just needs to play more and needs a confidence builder. He needs to start at the point with Cole the off guard, along with Sanogo, Martin, and Jackson. Hawkins/Polley/Akok off the bench. Cole’s more effective at the 2 anyway, for a lot of reasons.
Forget what he was ranked as a recruit, he was our best player in the tourney loss last year. He’s been awful this year because he’s lost out there trying to figure out if he’s a pure pg or a combo guard like cole. I think Gaffney is the best pick and roll guard we have, and we should try to utilize him more in that and get cole off ball.

MyDorona

The Hebrew Hammer
Reaction Score
Agree with the points about spacing the floor to maximize Sanogo's effectiveness and avoiding lineups with two or three offensive blackholes. Heck, I'm even open to the idea of pulling Whaley out of the starting lineup, even though I find that I'm generally higher on him than most on this board.

However, I don't understand all the Gaffney love. We know who he is by now. He is not the answer. He is not a guy who should be getting 20 minutes on a Big East team. And yes, I am aware of his pedigree.

The answer is not on this year's roster.

Reaction Score
Close. It needs to be Cole, Gaffney/Hawkins, Martin, Jackson and Sanogo.

Need Martin and Jackson both in starting lineup. But Jackson is a point forward - not sure why we’re treating him like a guard. And he can’t play with Whaley at the 4, just completely limits our offense.
Agree, it’s ok to have one guy who does the other things besides score, in the line-up. Starting two guys like that is suicide.

Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of what you said, but this is just a hilarious comment to provide with no context as to why Sanogo played so few minutes

Reaction Score
Agree with the points about spacing the floor to maximize Sanogo's effectiveness and avoiding lineups with two or three offensive blackholes. Heck, I'm even open to the idea of pulling Whaley out of the starting lineup, even though I find that I'm generally higher on him than most on this board.

However, I don't understand all the Gaffney love. We know who he is by now. He is not the answer. He is not a guy who should be getting 20 minutes on a Big East team. And yes, I am aware of his pedigree.

The answer is not on this year's roster.
We have the team we have. Gaffney played very well the last 7 games last year. He has been a big disappointment this season to Chief. But, he can dribble, drive and shoot - when he is on his game. If running is your best chance to success and I think it is, you need those skills on the floor.

Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of what you said, but this is just a hilarious comment to provide with no context as to why Sanogo played so few minutes
I gave the context in the very first sentence about Sanogo being in foul trouble. What Chief goes on to explain is how we set the conditions for that to frequently happen. The weak shooting starting lineup that lacks spacing, the defensive hedging on guards 25 feet out, etc.

Reaction Score
Gaffney played well last night. I hope it continues. But it was 13 good minutes from a player who hasn’t contributed in two months. We all know he’s capable of more than he’s been giving us, which implies it’s largely about a loss of confidence. Hopefully yesterday gets him over the hump and he goes back to being last year’s Gaffney.

But it was 13 good minutes. Being hopeful is natural. REaching the conclusion that he can help us every day is overly optimistic.
Agree, and we only have the depth people talked about if guys play up to their ability. At this point, I think we need to take the risk and invest minutes in Gaffney out of the gate with the starters. It may change the tempo of the game and the spacing.

Reaction Score
Gaffney plays well when there are open driving lanes and he doesn’t have strong ball pressure that exposes his weak composure/handle.

So it would naturally make sense for him to be in when Sanogo is out and not clogging the lane. He would also benefit from another ball handler as a pressure relief.

Sanogo needs shooters to help space the floor.

Polley and to a lesser extent Hawkins need someone to create shots for them. Can take advantage of Sanogo’s gravity here.

Jackson needs a defined role or else he will continue to nuke the lineups he is in. With our current lake of ball handlers/playmakers I like him as a point forward.

Let AJ initiate the offense, but defend the wing:
  • Jackson
  • Cole
  • Hawkins
  • Martin
  • Sanogo

Sub Polley/Akok for Jackson for better shooting:
  • Cole
  • Hawkins
  • Martin
  • Polley/Akok
  • Sanogo

Bring in slashers when Sanogo is out to take advantage of the open lane:
  • Gaffney
  • Cole
  • Jackson
  • Martin
  • Whaley

Multiple ball handlers (Gaff/Jax/Martin) with Cole out:
  • Gaffney
  • Hawkins
  • Jackson
  • Martin
  • Sanogo

Obviously would need deeper thought, but there are core groupings of players that have obvious synergies that need to be taken advantage of. And others with redundant skills that should be on the court together as little as possible…

Reaction Score

Chief sees Gaffney’s potential and he did put together 7 good games down the stretch last season. We can’t talk about the portal but it’s make or break time for Gaffney st UConn - let’s roll the dice and hope he delivers.

Reaction Score

I like a lineup of

Cole
Hawkins
Martin
Polley
Whaley

That would be an improvement except for the elephant in the room, not starting your best player, who needs to play 35 minutes a game - Mr. Sanogo.

Reaction Score
I gave the context in the very first sentence about Sanogo being in foul trouble. What Chief goes on to explain is how we set the conditions for that to frequently happen. The weak shooting starting lineup that lacks spacing, the defensive hedging on guards 25 feet out, etc.
Yeah I know you hate the hard hedge, you blame it for everything that ever goes wrong with this team. It's a very good defensive strategy despite you constantly saying otherwise

Reaction Score
Gaff starting is certainly not the answer I mean please let’s not go crazy over the kid having one decent half he’s been dreadful for all games outside cupcakes.

The truth is we don’t have a great starting lineup but the answers for change all have various weaknesses as well. Reality is not bringing in a solid grad transfer turned out to be very painful.
I agree. Gaffney has not done much all year. He hits a couple of shots and suddenly we want him starting. From what I have seen, he dribbles way too much and the offense seems to come to a halt when he is in the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom