Starting line-up according to history | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Starting line-up according to history

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Despite some of you, Azzi's most effective position is SG. the starting lineup with be:
Nika
Azzi
Caroline
Aaliyah
Dorka.
This is my guess too. Griffin as a spark plug player off the bench. No way Muhl doesn't start with Paige out--she's started the majority of the games in her career. Fudd at the 2, I don't see her as a PG at all based on her play last year, but she's an excellent 2. Ducharme at the 3 is also a no brainer over Griffin IMO, and Edwards/Dorka should be locks.

As for the rest of the rotation, this squad definitely isn't as deep with Bueckers/Brady out. I feel like everyone outside of the top 6 has some element of wildcard to them. LLS has nice accolades coming from a smaller school but historically those types of transfers haven't done well at UCONN. Patterson is a great athlete but looks quite raw in her basketball skills from what I've seen. I could see her being an impact player in the latter half of the season. Deberry didn't produce well as a freshman but often times we see players make a huge jump in production from their first to second year, and lastly there's Bettencourt who I know nothing about. Realistically I think Geno settles on a lineup of 7, maybe 8 deep. If he can get consistent production from the top 6 and have one of the other 4 emerge as a solid role player off the bench, UCONN will be in a nice spot going forward.

PvP

Reaction Score
Agreed, particularly in regards to Nika and Azzi. With a shortage of guards Nika has to play more than 10 minutes even if she is the least used of the main four (Azzi, Nika, Caroline and Lou). Inez is probably just injury insurance, but could be needed sometime during the season, and Aubrey is more 4 than 3.

I really take exception to the notion in the original post that Nika is just Azzi's backup, and that they are never in the game at the same time. Azzi might be the best potential PG overall, but her best position by far is shooting guard. Nika is less versatile, but her best position is PG. Further when they are both in the game at the same time, which should happen for many minutes, it would be madness to have Azzi take the point guard role and try to turn Nika into a SG. Finally with the original posted gameplan Azzi plays 100% of her minutes at PG and 0% at her best position.

If Nika starts and plays the point when in the game, you are maximizing her talents and Azzi's because Azzi probably plays 75-80% of her minutes at SG and only when Nika is sitting does she play PG. Even if Nika doesn't start, the more likely answer is probably Lou instead of Aubrey. They are both talented players with very different skills, but Lou is a natural for either the 2 or 3. Aubrey is more 4 than 3, and playing her at the 2 would be stretching it even further. But regardless of who starts, Nika and Azzi should often be on the floor together with Nika the PG and Azzi the SG.

It took a while for Geno to make that switch with Paige and Nika as well. Both Paige and Azzi are better overall PG's than Nika. but both are way way better SG's than Nika, and PG Nika with SG of Azzi or Paige is much better than Azzi or Paige at PG and Nika at SG.
So I absolutely agree that "both Paige and Azzi are better overall PGs than Nika." So then the question becomes who is a better addition to Azzi at PG, Nika or Lou? I don't think there is any question that Lou is a far better overall player than Nika who should only be Azzi's backup.

Reaction Score
So I absolutely agree that "both Paige and Azzi are better overall PGs than Nika." So then the question becomes who is a better addition to Azzi at PG, Nika or Lou? I don't think there is any question that Lou is a far better overall player than Nika who should only be Azzi's backup.
I don't think that's right. Lou is probably going to be a better scorer. But I doubt very much she is ready to play our D, and Nika is practically the spirit of our team D. Geno has already joked about this a couple times -- that we are now a great shooting team, but may need to win some games 100-95. I suspect he was referring to Lou, which would suggest he means to play her a lot, maybe >20 mins/g. The wild card is Aubrey (and maybe Ayanna) who may play some minutes at the 3 and some at the 4. Geno has liked using her that way in the past.

I also don't think Nika can really be Azzi's backup in the simple sense, since I doubt very much Geno will have Azzi playing PG for entire games. I also don't think Caroline or Lou can really do much work at PG. They are much more cut out for the 2-3 mold.

I think it's much more likely that Nika will start at PG, play 20-25 mins/g, and Azzi will shift over from SG to cover those duties for part of the game. The only worrisome thing for me is that Azzi may have to play 35 mins/g, and that seems like a lot for someone recovering from a foot injury.

Reaction Score
I don't think that's right. Lou is probably going to be a better scorer. But I doubt very much she is ready to play our D, and Nika is practically the spirit of our team D. Geno has already joked about this a couple times -- that we are now a great shooting team, but may need to win some games 100-95. I suspect he was referring to Lou, which would suggest he means to play her a lot, maybe >20 mins/g. The wild card is Aubrey (and maybe Ayanna) who may play some minutes at the 3 and some at the 4. Geno has liked using her that way in the past.

I also don't think Nika can really be Azzi's backup in the simple sense, since I doubt very much Geno will have Azzi playing PG for entire games. I also don't think Caroline or Lou can really do much work at PG. They are much more cut out for the 2-3 mold.

I think it's much more likely that Nika will start at PG, play 20-25 mins/g, and Azzi will shift over from SG to cover those duties for part of the game. The only worrisome thing for me is that Azzi may have to play 35 mins/g, and that seems like a lot for someone recovering from a foot injury.
I'm on the same page as Bone dog here, but want to make the argument from a little different perspective. We have four main guards that are going to consume almost all of the minutes for positions 1-3 with just a few for perhaps Aubrey or Ines. That means whoever doesn't start, lets say Lou or Nika, will have to be the principle backup for not one, but all three positions. That player whoever it is, will likely get at least 15-20 minutes a game. That is far more than backup PG minutes behind Azzi, if it was Nika for example.

If you want to limit Nika to backup point guard minutes, then you pretty much have to use Ines to backup the 2 and 3 even though she is described as a PG, or Aubrey more of a 4 as the backup at the 2 and 3. The argument over which guard is number 4 in minutes might be between Lou and Nika, but the argument for Nika getting just backup PG minutes is comparing her to Ines or Aubrey.

Ines is very unlikely to take minutes away from the four main guards, and I don't think Aubrey will either, but she could. Assuming the main four capture all but a few of the minutes for 1-3, the positions should be clear. no matter who she is playing with, Nika plays the 1, Azzi is more 2 but some 1. Both Caroline and Lou play 2 and 3. If Aubrey is used mostly at the 3, but maybe some 2, and hopefully if Ines is needed because of injury, mostly the 1 but some 2.

Reaction Score
I was watching a replay of the Arkansas game, and it was full of pathos for me. First, of course, because Paige was playing, all full of hope and excitement. She scored over 30, all in the final 3 quarters. She essentially owned Arkansas. Azzi played 19 minutes and scored 7. Caroline only played 4 minutes. Lots of untapped potential in those two, and confidence fairly oozing from their pores. I couldn't help comparing them to Saylor and Mir, who didn't get into this game at all.

Both would transfer out before Paige's injury. It's unfortunate that they did, since had they waited just a little longer, they'd probably have gotten a lot more playing time in the games that followed, when we were desperate for warm bodies to put on the floor. I'm most curious about Saylor, I think, and whether she finds success at Arkansas. One way or another, she'll find out if she can succeed at this level of competition. Mir, too. They'd probably have found this out had they stayed, and perhaps had success here, or ended up back on the bench by the Tennessee game.

What strikes me now, looking back on them and those early season games last year, is how different they seemed even then from Azzi and Caroline. It's not about injuries either. They were all struggling with nagging injuries, though I suspect Azzi's and Caroline's were more serious. But Azzi and Caroline were ready to play at the highest level even through injuries -- you could really see this pretty quickly about both of them. But Mir and Saylor never really looked confident on the court, like they just weren't ready for D1 basketball.

This train of thought got me to thinking about Amari. We've seen so little of her so far. Is she more like Saylor and Mir, lacking confidence, and therefore showing little energy, and perhaps unsure of her role on the court? Or, when we finally get to see her on the court against real competition for extended periods, will she have the confidence of Caroline and Azzi?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I laugh at all these posts about Nika’s limitations on offense when the OP listed Dorka, Aaliyah, CD. Azzi and Aubrey as the starting 5 as if Aubrey isn’t MORE limited offensively than Nika (she is) while Nika can actually deliver passes and run the offense.

The last time AG suited up for a game in a UConn uniform, Dorka, Azzi, CD, Amari and Lou weren’t on the team. I see NO allegiance to AGs “senior status” (though technically a RS Junior) as she is best positioned as a substitute. I do see a rotation of 8 in tight games with hope that Ayanna improves her shooting and understanding of the offense to allow for key minutes against the top 25 teams.

My view of the starting 5 is
1. Nika 2. Azzi 3. Lou 4. Aaliyah 5. Dorka with CD first off the bench. Amari is 6’5” with an outside shooting touch so I am hoping the “sophomore jump” occurs as she could really help Dorka and Aaliyah.

Reaction Score
I think I’ve is our starting center next year. I think the injuries mean more PT for both Ayanna and Aubrey. I think Ayanna gets a bunch of PT this year and becomes a very important part of this team.

Reaction Score
The best players all around are Azzi, Caroline, Aaliyah, Dorka and Lou. Nika is just too much of a liability offensively. When she subs for Azzi, the opposition can safely ignore her and double team the hot shooter. Ten minutes seems about right for Nika unless she has vastly improved her offense and can control her fouling and turnovers.
Nika provides energy and tone, she may surprise us with some serious offense as the focus will be on the shooters for UConn.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
As far as any doubts about Amari playing. Geno says she has the talent and the practice boys say shes got the shot and now with Liv graduating and ICE going down there is no other choice to give Dorka a rest. Youve got to throw her in there and let her do her thing. Make adjustments and pump her up with confidence

PvP

Reaction Score
Nika provides energy and tone, she may surprise us with some serious offense as the focus will be on the shooters for UConn.
Yes she may, and Inez may be named WBB Player of the Year.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Question? What were the most surprising "starter" surprise stories to begin the season for UConn historically?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't understand this concept that Azzi has to play SG because by playing the PG position she will be sacrificing FGA- that's just not how the offense works. As recently as 2018-19 season Crystal Dangerfield (the Starting PG) had significantly more FGA attempts (427 vs 343) when compared to Christyn Williams (the starting SG) with both players starting in all 38 games.

Reaction Score
I don't understand this concept that Azzi has to play SG because by playing the PG position she will be sacrificing FGA- that's just not how the offense works. As recently as 2018-19 season Crystal Dangerfield (the Starting PG) had significantly more FGA attempts (427 vs 343) when compared to Christyn Williams (the starting SG) with both players starting in all 38 games.
I don’t know about shot attempts. But there’s one thing to consider about Azzi at PG. Last year she was awesome at catch-and-shoot opportunities. Caroline is really good at these quick release situations too. The skill Azzi and Caroline haven’t shown us yet is the step-back 3. Paige also hasn’t shown us this either. Very few shooters in D1 can do this. Caitlin Clark has it. Aari McDonald had it. Lou2 showed this at Fairfield.

If they need a screen to shoot the 3 when they’re “on ball,” it limits their 3-pt production. I suspect this means much more of Azzi’s scoring will come from the midrange and driving to the rim. This will make her resemble Paige even more, whose game tilted toward the midrange once she was on ball.

I’m not concerned about this at all. Paige carried us in close games by getting midrange jumpers as needed, and I think Azzi can do this too. An “automatic” midrange shot — this is often how Paige seemed — can be as devastating (or encouraging depending on which team you’re on) as a 3.

In the game against SC two years ago, Paige carried the team in the 4th quarter, doing almost all the scoring in the closing minutes and in overtime. She sealed the win with an awesome 3 pt dagger in the closing seconds. But this was preceded by a series of 2s — when the team needed a bucket, Paige would get it.

Paige’s preferred midrange jumper came off a screen moving to her right. Azzi seems equally comfortable going left or right. Paige didn’t need to square up to the basket, but Azzi seems to prefer this.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I don’t know about shot attempts. But there’s one thing to consider about Azzi at PG. Last year she was awesome at catch-and-shoot opportunities. Caroline is really good at these quick release situations too. The skill Azzi and Caroline haven’t shown us yet is the step-back 3. Paige also hasn’t shown us this either. Very few shooters in D1 can do this. Caitlin Clark has it. Aari McDonald had it. Lou2 showed this at Fairfield.

If they need a screen to shoot the 3 when they’re “on ball,” it limits their 3-pt production. I suspect this means much more of Azzi’s scoring will come from the midrange and driving to the rim. This will make her resemble Paige even more, whose game tilted toward the midrange once she was on ball.

I’m not concerned about this at all. Paige carried us in close games by getting midrange jumpers as needed, and I think Azzi can do this too. An “automatic” midrange shot — this is often how Paige seemed — can be as devastating (or encouraging depending on which team you’re on) as a 3.

In the game against SC two years ago, Paige carried the team in the 4th quarter, doing almost all the scoring in the closing minutes and in overtime. She sealed the win with an awesome 3 pt dagger in the closing seconds. But this was preceded by a series of 2s — when the team needed a bucket, Paige would get it.

Paige’s preferred midrange jumper came off a screen moving to her right. Azzi seems equally comfortable going left or right. Paige didn’t need to square up to the basket, but Azzi seems to prefer this.
I definitely recall Azzi with a dynamite step back 3 last season (once?) and I think I recall Paige doing one or 2. Just not a big thing in their arsenal the way UConn plays. Not a fan of Azzi taking 3 pt shot selection lessons from Caitlin or Aari. :rolleyes:

Azzi definitely can take on the 1st defender off the dribble and get into the lane at will (when healthy and her mind is focused on scoring).

Reaction Score
I definitely recall Azzi with a dynamite step back 3 last season (once?) and I think I recall Paige doing one or 2. Just not a big thing in their arsenal the way UConn plays. Not a fan of Azzi taking 3 pt shot selection lessons from Caitlin or Aari. :rolleyes:

Azzi definitely can take on the 1st defender off the dribble and get into the lane at will (when healthy and her mind is focused on scoring).
Exactly. The UConn offense isn't run to get Fudd or anybody step back 3s. That's for teams like Iowa who play a two-man offense while everybody else stands around and watches. The point @CocoHusky is trying to make is that if you want Fudd to score a lot, she needs the ball in her hands. Not standing in the corner hoping it eventually gets there.

Reaction Score
Exactly. The UConn offense isn't run to get Fudd or anybody step back 3s. That's for teams like Iowa who play a two-man offense while everybody else stands around and watches. The point @CocoHusky is trying to make is that if you want Fudd to score a lot, she needs the ball in her hands. Not standing in the corner hoping it eventually gets there.
I would never disagree with @CocoHusky on something as obviously true as this: you can't score if you don't have the ball in your hands. But there may be nuances to consider. Nor would I suggest that we run the offense to get someone step back 3s. What would that even mean? The point of a step back shot is to create the space for it off the dribble without a screen. It's the classic one-on-one move, or at best an isolation move.

But having someone who can "get their own shot" in a pinch has been mentioned here many times as a useful element of a larger scheme. If we rely exclusively on intricate set pieces, we risk becoming plodding in our offense. It's important to be able to run sets, try to induce a defensive mistake, etc.. Sometimes you just need to run some clock. But we also have thrived on being able to shift to a more disruptive style occasionally.

This may be true, too. But it wasn't my point either. I was merely thinking about what the shape of our offense might turn out to be depending on various personnel choices. If you have Azzi "on ball" more often, I suspect she'll shoot fewer 3s. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. It may even be better for us to leave the perimeter shooting to Caroline Lou... and Nika's occasional mortar shot. I like the idea of Azzi taking more midrange jumpers.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Spot on! Not playing Nika as a starter would be a poor move. She gets dinged as a poor shooter. Why? Her only problem is not shooting enough. Her 2021-22 FG% was 43% which is only 2% below Azzi's and Caroline's FG% of 45%. Many Boneyarders have expressed a 3FG% of 35% to be more than acceptable. Well, Nika shot 34% last season behind Paige 35% and Azzi 43%. So if she improves but 1% all is good. Starting Aubrey at the beginning of the season after sitting a year is not an astute move. Aubrey was a very good defender prior to her back issues. However, Nika is the reigning Big East Defender of the 2021-22 season. Aubrey was not known as a scorer.
“Nika’s that emotional driving force that pushes pur team forward. She thinks she can accomplish anything and she makes the team think like that.”

”Nika brings so much fire and intensity and aggressiveness to our team. Playing against her in 3x3, I’m like SO glad this girl is on my team because if I had to play against her, I would absolutely HATE her.”

These aren’t random Boneyard posters, first quote is Coach Auriemma, second is Azzi. These folks see Nika day in, day out, and what they’re saying doesn’t seem to me to jibe with the OP. Yea verily!!!

Reaction Score
Spot on! Not playing Nika as a starter would be a poor move. She gets dinged as a poor shooter. Why? Her only problem is not shooting enough. Her 2021-22 FG% was 43% which is only 2% below Azzi's and Caroline's FG% of 45%. Many Boneyarders have expressed a 3FG% of 35% to be more than acceptable. Well, Nika shot 34% last season behind Paige 35% and Azzi 43%. So if she improves but 1% all is good. Starting Aubrey at the beginning of the season after sitting a year is not an astute move. Aubrey was a very good defender prior to her back issues. However, Nika is the reigning Big East Defender of the 2021-22 season. Aubrey was not known as a scorer.
I agree with you... BUT. Those stats are misleading given the role we're hoping she'll play. I'm saying this from smack in the middle of the pro-Nika camp, so bear that in mind.

The stats simply don't tell enough of the story, given the types of shots she tends to take. She shoots well enough from 3 (34% is nothing to sneeze at), but it's a mortar shot that comes from her waist. This means she needs a lot of time to get it off -- she has to be way uncovered. Compare this to the quick-release 3s from Paige or Azzi or Caroline... or Lou (we'll see a lot more of these soon enough). And Paige Azzi and Lou release the shot from above their heads. Caroline releases her 3 from her chin, which may not be optimal, but it seems to work for her, and she's also at least 4" taller than Nika. Now the fact that Nika's shot takes a long time to develop doesn't mean she shouldn't take it. But it's not a shot profile that really fits a PG. Almost all of her other made FGs come on layups off steals or breaks. She takes very few midrange shots, and makes even less of these. These ought to be her "bread and butter" in the half court offense.

I get that she's reluctant, that she's not focused on getting her own shots, etc. But if we want her to help fill the gap Paige left, she may need to take more shots. I don't even mind if she misses a lot of midrange jumpers off the dribble. The fact that she takes them will force defenses to account for her. Whenever we put Azzi on the ball, you can bet she'll take a lot of these midrange jumpers off the dribble. I hope Nika follows her example.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
As far as any doubts about Amari playing. Geno says she has the talent and the practice boys say shes got the shot and now with Liv graduating and ICE going down there is no other choice to give Dorka a rest. Youve got to throw her in there and let her do her thing. Make adjustments and pump her up with confidence
Has Geno even mentioned her name in any of his interviews and pressers?

Reaction Score
As someone else pointed out somewhere, in the last couple of pressers, Geno only discussed the players he was asked about and he wasn't asked about Amari. I know, it's a thin glimmer of hope, a mere thread, but I'm clinging to it!

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Has Geno even mentioned her name in any of his interviews and pressers?
In the last interview I saw on YouTube last night, Geno discussed many things, including the injury to Ice. When he mentioned the Bigs, he said that Aalyah, Dorka, and Ayanna would have to step up. Never did he mention Amari, and what else is troubling, is the media did not ask about her either. I mentioned this before, and I wonder if she is actually part of the program anymore. We will need her, but why don't we hear anything about her. This just seems very weird to me.

Reaction Score
In the last interview I saw on YouTube last night, Geno discussed many things, including the injury to Ice. When he mentioned the Bigs, he said that Aalyah, Dorka, and Ayanna would have to step up. Never did he mention Amari, and what else is troubling, is the media did not ask about her either. I mentioned this before, and I wonder if she is actually part of the program anymore. We will need her, but why don't we hear anything about her. This just seems very weird to me.
That is troubling. I will be very sad if Amari has simply slipped out of the program. I will continue to hope for the best until I hear something definitive, but you have shaken my confidence.

sun

Reaction Score
When it comes to Amari, IMO no news is good news.
Some players have mentioned that Geno seems happier & kinder this year by yelling less at the players.
That's attributed to them for all making a satisfactory personal effort.
Considering that Amari spent her summer on campus, that's one less reason for Geno to publicly criticize her desire to improve.
Losing Piath & having team injuries to deal with has probably made Geno more appreciative of his bench players.
I hope that sentiment rubs off on the fans.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom