Starting five? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Starting five?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm right there with you on this one too. Once the perimeter game asserts itself, driving the lane and either scoring or dishing off will be a lot easier.

I loved watching Christyn drive the lane. But for her it had to be all muscle and ingenuity -- and she was strong and clever -- because the lane was so often packed in. How often did we see her power the ball up to finish through a forest of hands?

I may miss Christyn, but I think Azzi Caroline and Lou will be able to cut and drive really well in this offense. And the thing I'm most anticipating is how each of them have distinctively different styles on the drive. Azzi can bump and drive with the best of them, pop-up for the jumper, or power through to the rim, and Caroline has that array of floaters and flip shots, and Lou is simply a great post up player in addition to all her spin moves.
Agree with you regarding Christyn and that she was a deceptively strong player by her senior year. And though she and Liv and Evina were great contributors for the team, I get the sense our “flow” is going to be better this year. Call it a hunch.

Reaction Score
gold2323, absolutely correct. Have been stating many times, but it seems many are obsessed and correlate the starting 5 with being the best players. The most talented players will play the most minutes vs. ranked and quality opponents.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I share your thoughts regarding substitutions at the 4 & 5 positions. Last season the opponents continuously attacked our bigs to let the fouls mount up. ONO and Aaliyah led the team in PFs and were often sitting on bench during the first half. I expect this to continue this season and it should open up some more PT for the bigs. Based upon the quality and quantity of the bench I also expect the team to press a lot more than they have in recent years creating the need for more substitutions to give players a breather.
Silly fouls, AE often multiple offensive fouls.

Reaction Score
Agree with you regarding Christyn and that she was a deceptively strong player by her senior year. And though she and Liv and Evina were great contributors for the team, I get the sense our “flow” is going to be better this year. Call it a hunch.
One must also remember that despite her Big 10 experience, last season was Dorka’s first season in UCONN’s offense.
All agree that there is a significant learning curve.

Reaction Score
The starting lineup is not so important is who gets the big middle minutes and who finishes in close games.
The most talented players will play the most minutes vs. ranked and quality opponents.
It is theoretically true that the starters might not also be the ones who are playing the best. But pragmatically and historically speaking, the starters are exactly the players who get the big middle minutes and the ones who finish.

Who the starters are can change from game to game. But Geno’s practice seems always to have been that he doesn’t hold his best in reserve. The 5 who start plus one or two others have always tended to get the big minutes and to dominate in all categories.

This is why many here have been so interested in speculating on who the starters will be in November, as well as who might emerge as starters in January or March.

Of course, everyone knows that who starts (and gets the big minutes) in March is more important than who starts in November. Early on, there’s not a record of current achievement to go on. This is why many think the 5 veterans with starting experience will start now. They know the “system” and Geno can use them to show the new kids what they have to fit into.

Reaction Score
Same starting 5 for me as most posters- Nika, Azzi, Caroline, Aaliyah and Dorka. What I’m interested in seeing is who subs for Dorka- wondering if it will be Amari, which could happen if she has made the progress that Geno wants.
But it is interesting that no one is talking about Amari's progress: not Geno, her teammates or the media.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The five in that photo were all the UCONN players nominated for the Big East preseason awards and was taken at Madison Square Garden at BE Media day.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Silly fouls, AE often multiple offensive fouls.
I noticed in one of the recent threads (Big East interviews?) something that Dan Hurley said. In the context of Paige being absent, he said something to the effect: They'll have to play cleaner -- sharper cuts, better setting screens, better using screens. . .

Screens were a problem all last year. They were just a little bit sloppy. Screeners were frequently late, leading to moving-screen fouls. Cutters often went to wide around them, allowing space for defenders to fight over them.

I hope they're doing a LOT of work on this during the preseason. UConn has exactly the team to benefit from this: strong bigs to set picks and shooters to use them. All of the players are skilled and taught the multiple options opened up by a good screen.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Yikes. How do you know this for a fact? Have you attended practice sessions? Been taking to the coaching staff? Got some inside scoop?
Just like 99% of what is posted to a sports, it is opinion. Not unlike your post and perhaps even mine. :oops:;)

Reaction Score
But it is interesting that no one is talking about Amari's progress: not Geno, her teammates or the media.
I did notice that.
Has been a somewhat glaring omission to me.
Never a word.
Not even a whisper.
Motivation (?)<—hopefully.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I noticed in one of the recent threads (Big East interviews?) something that Dan Hurley said. In the context of Paige being absent, he said something to the effect: They'll have to play cleaner -- sharper cuts, better setting screens, better using screens. . .

Screens were a problem all last year. They were just a little bit sloppy. Screeners were frequently late, leading to moving-screen fouls. Cutters often went to wide around them, allowing space for defenders to fight over them.

I hope they're doing a LOT of work on this during the preseason. UConn has exactly the team to benefit from this: strong bigs to set picks and shooters to use them. All of the players are skilled and taught the multiple options opened up by a good screen.
++++ 1000 on this post. Proper screening has been an issue for UCONN WBB for a while now not just last year.
Lack of proper screening as you correctly point out has a compounding negative effect on the half court execution. Proper screening used to be a hallmark of the UCONN program and I not sure why it has been so elusive for the past 3 UCONN seasons. The moving screens on the UCONN post players are very noticeable but the screens by the wing players and guards have also been very poor which allows the defense to recover quickly. UCONN has also become predictable about where the screens are coming from and the better coaches have taken advantage. If you go back and look at the SC games from the past seasons you will see that the SC defender are calling out the screens and jumping over them before they actually take place.

Copied from a post earlier:

It has been the same offense and what I believe you are severely underestimating is both the time it would require to implemented a new scheme and the lack of fundamentals of the of the UCONN front court players over the past few years. Geno has tweaked the hell out and simplified the UCONN offense over the past three years but unfortunately those tweaks go unnoticed by most fans who tend to focus more on the bottom line of wins and losses and and the playing time of their favorite players vs what is actually happening on the floor from game to game and even quarter to quarter. Even Geno's most brilliant adjustments will never be enough to overcome the lack of fundaments. Since you mention that dribble handoff the reason it is not working for UCONN is because the defense doesn't have to honor that action. Many times the post player handing off the ball is not a credible threat to do anything besides hand off that ball, The UCONN post players lack the patience to let the play start with a proper ball screen and develop according to how the defense reacts. These are really fundamental things that are not going to get fix by moving to a different offensive scheme because those same fundamentals are required regardless of which scheme you decide to move to.

Reaction Score
++++ 1000 on this post. Proper screening has been an issue for UCONN WBB for a while now not just last year.
Lack of proper screening as you correctly point out has a compounding negative effect on the half court execution. Proper screening used to be a hallmark of the UCONN program and I not sure why it has been so elusive for the past 3 UCONN seasons. The moving screens on the UCONN post players are very noticeable but the screens by the wing players and guards have also been very poor which allows the defense to recover quickly. UCONN has also become predictable about where the screens are coming from and the better coaches have taken advantage. If you go back and look at the SC games from the past seasons you will see that the SC defender are calling out the screens and jumping over them before they actually take place.

I totally agree about the screens. I remember something Paige said two years ago, and Meg Culmo and Kara Wolters confirmed it, that the problem is often not with the bigs setting the screens. It can be a mistake by the guards, either not cutting closely enough behind the screener, or not waiting for the best moment. I guess it’s a timing question that the front and back court players have to get in sync with. It only got worse last year with all the disruptions to the lineup.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score

Yes learning how to set screens and on the ball handler to set up the defender and screener. She also has not learned finesse, often just bowling over her defender, which is interesting as she is so good at positioning to get charges called against the opponent.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score

When did Married leave?

Reaction Score
The starting 5 if healthy will be as others have stated Nika, Azzi, Caroline, Dorka and Aaliyah. We will miss Liv's defense and screening. We need Dorka to take her duties hopefully and enhance them. Aaliyah needs to get better on screens with no fouls. She is very good on the roll and did it well with Paige. I think nika has to be able to do this and also be enough of a threat for the pull up if they dont switch. Caroline is great at running her defender off the screen and creating position down low and she scores so quickly I didn see anyone stop her on this. Even SC didnt do it and she scored 9 points with more time she would have had more. This year is her time. Azzi is a threat in so many ways and could score over 20 a game if healthy. We all are interested in seeing Aubrey's health and potential in our offense. We know she is a great defender and rebounder. Lou I believe will subb if our offense is stalling to help add another weapon. I know they are working on her defense beacuse from what I saw she played the wavo zone defense down low for Fairfield. We all hope Amari has worked hard and shows improvement. Ayanna and Ice will take some time to intergrate themselves to the offense. Ice would be a perfect screener on the elbow and outside shooter to keep the defense honest. Ayanna could be a Aubrey clone of her freshmen year. Defense and rebounds. Soon the speculation will be over and the games begin. Go Huskies!!!!!

Reaction Score
Ayanna and Ice will become the Wicks and Rowe of UCLA fame, for UConn, this year. By February 2023. It is a new day. Rest easy. BY seems so unhinged about this season without Paige. Relax! Talent wins over all. Go Huskies

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Are you assuming Azzi can't be a playmaker who can score? Paige is a playmaker who can score the only difference between her and Azzi and Paige is that Azzi came into college with a rep as a shooter because of her shot and she played SG because of it but Azzi is very capable of being a playmaker and can create her own shot it's only because of injuries she was used primarily as a catch and shoot guard last year but now she's healthy and will attack the rim pull up and catch and shoot I predict She'll be Paige 2.0..don't get me wrong Nika will be needed but if Uconn thrives with Nika still playing backup after Paige's injury then they will be ahead of the game IMHO
Hate to disagree but she won't be Paige 2.0, she'll be Azzi, the 1.

Reaction Score
Caroline/Aubrey at the Three seems logical.
Nika, Azzi, Lou at the one/two also seems logical.
Aalijah/Ayanna could be another good fit.
Whether Ice or Amari backs up Dorka seems like the biggest unknown right now. However, basketball is hardly ever logical when it comes to playing time.

Reaction Score
When I try to imagine what Caroline will do this year, I think of the Louisville game. It was a loss, the first game after Paige’s injury when we’d had a chance to practice. It was a close loss largely because of Caroline. I think she scored 24 and was generally a monster all over the court. I remember thinking if this is what she can do as a raw freshman with hardly any practice time, effectively making it up as goes along, she will be awesome once she’s fully integrated into the O and D schemes.

We saw indications of this in the next several games. But her hip began to bother her more and more, and she wasn’t able to sustain that level of athletic energy, and her minutes and production tailed off. If she’s feeling 100% and doesn’t aggravate another old injury, I think we’ll have something special with Azzi and Caroline on the court together. Add Lou to the mix and the rest of WCBB better look out!

Reaction Score
As great as Caroline's Louisville game was, and I saw it again recently, she wasn't good on defense that game, and she was obviously tired from having to play virtually the entire game. Her best half was the 2nd half though. We really need the front court to help some offensively and my bet is that Ice can be this year's Caroline. When watching her with USA basketball she was consistently a force on the boards and scored at a very high percentage as well. Ice is a little slow but she can shoot and she can rebound. She has the ability to hit that shot from the foul line that our bigs have not been able to convert well for years now. She can give us 10-15 points a game if she plays. I also think she can defend against most bigs better than Amari.

Reaction Score
Ice is a little slow but she can shoot and she can rebound. She has the ability to hit that shot from the foul line that our bigs have not been able to convert well for years now. She can give us 10-15 points a game if she plays.
I mainly agree. But I wouldn’t say Ice is slow. She’s as quick as most 5s, but maybe slow for a 4. But she’s definitely not “lumbering,” that way some bigs are.

Reaction Score
But it is interesting that no one is talking about Amari's progress: not Geno, her teammates or the media
I noticed that also.
Not a comment.
Not a whisper,
Motivation or not to much good to say?
Hopeful it’s the former.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members