Starting five? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Starting five?

Reaction Score
I’m not sure it’s fair to label Ice a little slow until we see her on the big stage.
I agree. I’m only thinking of what I saw in the FIBA games this summer. She ran the court just fine. A lot quicker than AD Rosario. Also, her moves around the basket are plenty nimble. She runs the floor much quicker than Betts, from what I remember of the previous summer. All of this is to say she looks like a natural 5. Against quick 4s, like Aubrey for example, she may not seem quick enough. I think we’ll be very pleased with Ice’s talent and athleticism.

Reaction Score
Are you assuming Azzi can't be a playmaker who can score? Paige is a playmaker who can score the only difference between her and Azzi and Paige is that Azzi came into college with a rep as a shooter because of her shot and she played SG because of it but Azzi is very capable of being a playmaker and can create her own shot it's only because of injuries she was used primarily as a catch and shoot guard last year but now she's healthy and will attack the rim pull up and catch and shoot I predict She'll be Paige 2.0..don't get me wrong Nika will be needed but if Uconn thrives with Nika still playing backup after Paige's injury then they will be ahead of the game IMHO
The biggest difference between Paige and Azzi is that Paige has already shown what she can do while Azzi has not. Hopefully, that will be addressed soon! I’m not saying she can’t be as good as Paige, only that I pray she is! Just imagine, if she is, it would basically be like signing Dee and Maya in consecutive years!

Reaction Score
Every player has at least some weakness in their game. I'm saying Ice is probably our best rookie this year and can do a lot of things we have been missing. We get enamored with the players we have, attached to them as fans, but objectively it wouldn't surprise me at all if Ice ends up our best big. My sense is she can shoot and she knows how to play. She's probably faster now than she was in high school. Asking her to top Dorka or AE is a big ask but I think both she and Ayanna have potential to be great. Should we automatically assume both Ayanna and Ice are sub standard rookies when both were rated at about the same level as Caroline last year? Ice showed a lot in the USA basketball games. She was maybe their best player last year, on the team she played for. Put up great numbers and played better against the best teams. She was fine against opposing bigs. Chances are she is for real. Chances are Ayanna is also. I think we should anticipate that before year end both will be major contributors.

Reaction Score
don't get me wrong Nika will be needed but if Uconn thrives with Nika still playing backup after Paige's injury then they will be ahead of the game IMHO
Why? In Paige's frosh year around the GTOWN game Geno put Nika as the PG and Paige was the SG. It was to get Paige off the ball. In fact UCONN beat SC with Nika starting and Paige as the shooting guard.

So why can't Azzi do what Paige did in a manner of speak by beating players off the dribble etc as the sg just as Paige did? That was the year Paige was NPOY.

Reaction Score
Are you assuming Azzi can't be a playmaker who can score? Paige is a playmaker who can score the only difference between her and Azzi and Paige is that Azzi came into college with a rep as a shooter because of her shot and she played SG because of it but Azzi is very capable of being a playmaker and can create her own shot it's only because of injuries she was used primarily as a catch and shoot guard last year but now she's healthy and will attack the rim pull up and catch and shoot I predict She'll be Paige 2.0..don't get me wrong Nika will be needed but if Uconn thrives with Nika still playing backup after Paige's injury then they will be ahead of the game IMHO
According to Azzi, Paige, Geno, and many others, they are very different players with different strengths and weaknesses. Peanut butter and jelly, as Paige and Azzi say. I think Azzi is clearly the best player left on the team, but in my opinion, if Azzi makes a sophomore jump, it will be as a healthier, more experienced Azzi, not as a replacement for Paige.

Reaction Score
Why? In Paige's frosh year around the GTOWN game Geno put Nika as the PG and Paige was the SG. It was to get Paige off the ball. In fact UCONN beat SC with Nika starting and Paige as the shooting guard.

So why can't Azzi do what Paige did in a manner of speak by beating players off the dribble etc as the sg just as Paige did? That was the year Paige was NPOY.
I believe Geno did that because the shooting guard at the time CW was not shooting well and was very inconsistent. If CD and or Lou is better and more consistent than with Azzi at the point they will be better this is not a knock on Nika because I believe they won't win without her but her strength is on the defensive end and if she's struggling to get her offense to match her defense then the team will suffer but this is all moot because these are good problems for Uconn deciding on who to play because they have so much talent...this is a good thing

Reaction Score
I believe Geno did that because the shooting guard at the time CW was not shooting well and was very inconsistent. If CD and or Lou is better and more consistent than with Azzi at the point they will be better this is not a knock on Nika because I believe they won't win without her but her strength is on the defensive end and if she's struggling to get her offense to match her defense then the team will suffer but this is all moot because these are good problems for Uconn deciding on who to play because they have so much talent...this is a good thing
What would you think if Nika equaled her 3pt% of 38.3% (once Geno put her in the starting lineup vs Gtown on 1/23 and before her injury) as a freshman? A 16 game run in her frosh year in which Geno started giving her minutes/she overcame her injuries (she was hurt dnp in 4 of the first 9) beginning on 1/23 - nothing wrong with starting her if she performs at this level I think we can all agree, can we? Just saying its' possible.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
My starting five will also be, Azzi, Caroline, Dorka, Aaliyah and Nika.

I post this question because several people in Twitter discussed the possible of Ayanna in starting five because of this photo in the media day.

Kaizen, we’re on the same page, and drinking the same cocktail. :D I also think those 5 will start at least the first two games. No prediction after the Texas game. Not saying he will, but Geno has pulled starters early in the season before. 2014 = Saniya Chong and Kiah Stokes out, Kia Nurse and Morgan Tuck in.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well, from an offensive perspective, we graduated 41% of last years points, lose 9% to injury, and 1.5% to transfer.

Returning just 48% of our offensive output to me signals that we aren’t the most experienced team, and will rely on those most experienced to start the season.

Muhl, Fudd, Ducharme, Edwards, Dorka. My view of experience is experience within the Uconn system. Of course, may change as the year progresses.

Reaction Score
From my perspective, we return 3.5 starters from last rears team, based on playing time and experience
Azzi, Aayliah, Dorka and Caroline/Nika.
Lou should prove to be a better scorer than Mama.
Paige missed most of last season, so someone else became a starter.
Aubrey back in support.
Two frosh bigs better than any size we had in reserve last year.
To me the only unknown are can Aubrey shake off the rust and refine her game and will Amari be able to step up.
Most anxious to see how this group melds into a dominating machine.

Reaction Score
With two of 12 not playing this year; how do we get some more backup players??

Reaction Score
With two of 12 not playing this year; how do we get some more backup players??
10 is what we have. Let’s hope it stays that way. We can win with these 10. But no cavalry is coming over the hill. The core veterans are going to carry the load. Lou Ayanna Aubrey Amari Ines will have to be ready.

Reaction Score
Now that we are down to 10, I’ve been thinking even more about Nika’s role. We need her at pg, I realize, and not just for token minutes. Yes, I know we have several players initiate plays, so we’re not quite as position-focused as many teams. But even the basic task of bringing the ball up the court may be more demanding than in the past. More teams will try to challenge us there, and Nika &co will have to be ready to handle it, and even burn teams that overplay the pressure with long passes and quick scores. Last year, we had several players who could manage this really well, and now more of this will fall on Nika. I think she’ll handle it well.

Reaction Score
I was also thinking about being down to 10 and how deep Geno's rotation will be. Even at the beginning of last year when we were excited about our depth, it wasn't like he trusted that many players. I vividly remember the Seton Hall game where he said we have no depth. I was thinking NM, , CD,AG,DJ,AE,LLS will all for sure play. I think AP will play as well. I like Amari and think she should play as well. I wonder with all the injuries if it makes Geno be more conscious of playing more bodies or if he just rides with those 7 experienced players.

Reaction Score
When Paige got hurt I posted that the starting five would be: Muhl (point); Fudd (two); Ducharme (wing); Edwards (power) and Juhasz (center). With Brady getting hurt and out for the season our post presence has taken a major hit. Would it be wiser to start Patterson at the Wing? Taking nothing away from Caroline but I think that Ayanna may be a tougher option in regards to rebounding and scoring around the basket. Am still hoping that Amari has a stellar season and proves critics wrong. She is our one true center on the team. If possible I would love to see her starting and see how that pans out.

Reaction Score
With Brady getting hurt and out for the season our post presence has taken a major hit. Would it be wiser to start Patterson at the Wing? Taking nothing away from Caroline but I think that Ayanna may be a tougher option in regards to rebounding and scoring around the basket.
I don't think such a move would be helpful in November, because Caroline is a proven quantity in all areas of the game. I don't think we go away from the players who've already proven themselves. It would be bad for morale, I think, and the new kids need to prove themselves, first in practice, then in rotation minutes that can expand as they show their excellence.

If Ayanna is a starting wing by March, it will likely mean that something has gone very wrong for Caroline or Lou. I'd think Ayanna is third or fourth behind those two for PT at the 3. Ayanna is probably third in line at the 4, behind Aaliyah and Aubrey. If she gets major minutes at the 4 in March, again it means something has gone wrong for the two in front of her.

My rather boring prediction for lineups and minutes is as follows:

In November, Nika (20-25) Azzi (30-35) Caroline (30-35) Dorka (20-25) Aaliyah (30-35);
and behind them Lou (15-20) Aubrey (10-15) Amari (10-15) Ayanna (10-15) Ines (5)

In January: For Lou to get more mins, Nika will get fewer. Given the firepower we have at the three shooting positions, it's a bit of a logjam for minutes. Similarly at the 4 & 5, for Amari Ayanna Aubrey to get more mins, Dorka and Aaliyah will get fewer.

Frankly, barring injury or persistent foul trouble, I don't see Aaliyah getting less than 30 or Dorka less than 20. The picture looks the same at the guard position. Barring Injury, I don't see any room for the rotation players to get more unless Nika gets less. This is why I've said I suspect the November lineup to more or less reflect the March lineup, barring injury.

Reaction Score
I was also thinking about being down to 10 and how deep Geno's rotation will be. Even at the beginning of last year when we were excited about our depth, it wasn't like he trusted that many players. I vividly remember the Seton Hall game where he said we have no depth. I was thinking NM, Azzi Fudd, CD,AG,DJ,AE,LLS will all for sure play. I think AP will play as well. I like Amari and think she should play as well. I wonder with all the injuries if it makes Geno be more conscious of playing more bodies or if he just rides with those 7 experienced players.
Just riding those 7 experienced players ==suicide.
Hopefully, last year was a learning experience for the players a well as the coach.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah, Dorka, Amari and Ayanna should be our bigs- Aaliyah and Dorka starting, the others spelling relief. To the poster who wondered if rebounding and scoring around the basket would be better if Amari started in place of Caroline- I don't like this idea. If Aaliyah and Dorka can't successfully rebound or score around the basket, then take out one of them and put in either Amari or Ayanna in their place. Caroline is too versatile and can score in too many ways to deny her playing time. Especially with her size as a guard, she is a nightmare to defend for the opposing guard trying to defend her, she can bomb away from 3 or drive to the basket, and she is deadly at the free throw line.

Reaction Score
Well, from an offensive perspective, we graduated 41% of last years points, lose 9% to injury, and 1.5% to transfer.

Returning just 48% of our offensive output to me signals that we aren’t the most experienced team, and will rely on those most experienced to start the season.

Muhl, Fudd, Ducharme, Edwards, Dorka. My view of experience is experience within the Uconn system. Of course, may change as the year progresses.

There is nothing that needs to be replaced. There were better players last season that are still on the team. The reason they scored 41% of the season points was that they played almost all of the games. It gives a false appearance. The fact is that if both Bueckers and Fudd had been healthy all season they would have both started and led the team in scoring.

Reaction Score
There is nothing that needs to be replaced. There were better players last season that are still on the team. The reason they scored 41% of the season points was that they played almost all of the games. It gives a false appearance. The fact is that if both Bueckers and Fudd had been healthy all season they would have both started and led the team in scoring.
This is more or less how I see it too. If Paige Azzi Caroline had been healthy enough all season, they'd have cracked the basic rotation -- Paige and Azzi starting, Caroline coming off the bench as 6th woman -- and they'd have done much of the scoring. Before her decline from the hip and head injuries, Caroline looked like she could average 20pts/g just by herself, and the 3 of them together might have averaged 50, which is what I expect with Lou in the rotation. That's a net gain in my book just from two players getting healthy. I suspect we'll get at least 10/10 per game each from Dorka and Aaliyah, and another 15 from the rest of the rotation. As Geno has suggested a couple times already, we're a great shooting team. Missing points won't be our problem, but playing D might be. And I wonder what kind of rebounding team we'll be.

Reaction Score
When Paige got hurt I posted that the starting five would be: Muhl (point); Fudd (two); Ducharme (wing); Edwards (power) and Juhasz (center). With Brady getting hurt and out for the season our post presence has taken a major hit. Would it be wiser to start Patterson at the Wing? Taking nothing away from Caroline but I think that Ayanna may be a tougher option in regards to rebounding and scoring around the basket. Am still hoping that Amari has a stellar season and proves critics wrong. She is our one true center on the team. If possible I would love to see her starting and see how that pans out.
With the exception of one point I don't like it.
If the start of the game the post presence was fine with Dorka and Edwards then why is it not good enough now? Nothing has changed to start the game. Secondly, for me I don't like the idea of Patterson committing two quick cheap fouls on the perimeter when I feel she is superior at power forward and we could use the fouls from her inside. Third, Geno likes free-flowing offense. Many teams would defend UCONN with a zone with 3 bigs,. Having Dorka, Edwards and Patterson in offensively would just slow the game down. Only having two perimeter players would slow down the offense.

The exception is that with Patterson in with Edwards, we could press. you'd have Griffin if healthy swapping with them too at the 3/4 spots. Though Geno doesn't do much of that either. But this year- who knows?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom