Starting five? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Starting five?

Reaction Score
Nika, Azzi, Caroline, Aaliyah and Dorka.
That may be Geno's first look at the 5 he wants. I believe if Dorka hasn't picked up better under the board skills --she may not be among the 5 in January. I don't think anyone other than AZZI is a lock for starting 5, I would expect to see a lot of combinations into February in most BE games.

Reaction Score
I agree with your first seven for the guard position substitutions but that assumes that the first subs in are at the 1-2-3.. Don't be surprised to see Ayanna come in for Liya or Ice in for Dorka in the 4 and 5 position early if there is a reason for it. Aubrey may play some 4 also depending on the size of the other team although Geno has been talking about her as a perimeter shooter.

For Geno to tout the team early as a good or very good offensive team speaks volumes to me. I think the team defense will evolve over time but there are some very good individual defenders such as Nika and Liya just to mention 2. I think CD is underrated on defense which is unfortunate because she is very crafty and Azzi has great court vision. Dorka played Cunane the best in the short time she was in against NC State. The pieces are there. February is Geno Defense month. It's on the calendar for delivery every year.

We are going to score in bunches. That's the very exciting take for me on what he has been saying.
I share your thoughts regarding substitutions at the 4 & 5 positions. Last season the opponents continuously attacked our bigs to let the fouls mount up. ONO and Aaliyah led the team in PFs and were often sitting on bench during the first half. I expect this to continue this season and it should open up some more PT for the bigs. Based upon the quality and quantity of the bench I also expect the team to press a lot more than they have in recent years creating the need for more substitutions to give players a breather.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
That may be Geno's first look at the 5 he wants. I believe if Dorka hasn't picked up better under the board skills --she may not be among the 5 in January. I don't think anyone other than AZZI is a lock for starting 5, I would expect to see a lot of combinations into February in most BE games.
After the starting five is anyone's guess. And I do mean guess.

Geno has some ammo he hasn't had in a while. 3 quality subs for the front line. Guard play should be fine even with Paige out.

Practices are going to determine any rotation. Do I think Lou, Ayanna, Amari and Ice are going to get minutes - yes. How many I have no idea. I also think the subs' ability to play defense and rebound is going to figure in Geno's decisions.

And this is the fun of a new season.

Reaction Score
I agree with TCC KId. Azzi is the only lock. Eventually, Amari, Ayanna and Ice or Aalijah, Ayanna and Ice will be up front. I think eventually is by March 2023. Also, all 4 are the future and the new Tass Force II. Go Huskies

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
My starting five will also be, Azzi, Caroline, Dorka, Aaliyah and Nika.

I post this question because several people in Twitter discussed the possible of Ayanna in starting five because of this photo in the media day.
People are so infatuated with athleticism. Ice is the basketball player of the two freshmen.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Azzi was the #1 player in HS as a sophomore when Paige was a junior. I think (hope) that a 100% healthy Azzi blows everyone's socks off, and is on the very short list for NPOY this season. She has THAT kind of potential IMHO.

I think she could be the biggest surprise on the team this season - because I think she can be that good.

Back to the OP - it IS curious that Ayanna went to NYC and not Nika. But I still think Nika starts.
I hope you are right about Azzi. It would be amazing. Certainly Geno is being very positive relative to Azzi for reasons other than "button pushing." Not all high school players of the year or even just rated as the #1 recruit always pan out. Stewie, Maya, and Paige most recently worked out rather nicely. But others were very good but not college players of the year such as Christyn Williams, Megan Walker, Katie Lou Samuelson, and Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis. Ayanna going to NYC and not Nika is not curious nor a mystery. Ayanna was invited because she was selected the preseason freshman of the year. Nika was not selected to go because there was no preseason defensive player of the year and she was not appointed to any All Big East teams or even honorable mention.

I insist on typing Nike for Nika. It must be a "Freudian Slip." I guess Unconsciously I see her as UCONN's Goddess of Victory.

Reaction Score
I’d say Muhl, Fudd, Ducharme, Edwards, and Juhasz. Lou first off the bench for Nika, shifting Azzi to the pg spot. A spark of offense.

Reaction Score
I would say Azzi, Caroline,& Dorka are all “locks”to start.

Reaction Score
I share your thoughts regarding substitutions at the 4 & 5 positions. Last season the opponents continuously attacked our bigs to let the fouls mount up. ONO and Aaliyah led the team in PFs and were often sitting on bench during the first half. I expect this to continue this season and it should open up some more PT for the bigs. Based upon the quality and quantity of the bench I also expect the team to press a lot more than they have in recent years creating the need for more substitutions to give players a breather.
Yes, the team seems perfectly suited to press. Aubrey at the point is as good as it gets. Nika, Lou, Azzi and CD at the wings with a big back under is a very energetic defense. Looking forward to seeing it to blow open games.

Reaction Score
Yes we had foul issues among the bigs last year as you point out, because both Liv and Aaliyah were foul prone, but it was also a problem because we were trying to use a largely three big rotation with Dorka. Geno was reluctant to go to a fourth big like Amari and instead generally went to small ball with Evina at the 4 when any of the three had foul trouble. Of course with Dorka out with the broken wrist and Liv suffering from a groin injury, in the championship game only Aaliyah was healthy and Amari got a few minutes even though she had never played meaning-full minutes all year.

This year is much better because of three major additions vs. one major loss (Ice, Ayanna and don't forget Aubrey) and also because one of the anticipated starters (Dorka) has never been foul prone anywhere close to as much as Liv.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
:rolleyes:My starting five will also be, Azzi, Caroline, Dorka, Aaliyah and Nika.

I post this question because several people in Twitter discussed the possible of Ayanna in starting five because of this photo in the media day.

Kaizen, there are others with opposing views, but I believe these five are the consensus five expected to start by the boneyard. While our incoming newbies are exceptional, (barring a last-minute injury), I don’t see any of them cracking the starting lineup to begin the season. Interestingly, not one poster has suggested that Aubrey be in the starting lineup. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kaizen, there are others with opposing views, but I believe these five are the consensus five expected to start by the boneyard. While our incoming newbies are exceptional, (barring a last-minute injury), I don’t see any of them cracking the starting lineup to begin the season. Interestingly, not one poster has suggested that Aubrey be in the starting lineup. :rolleyes:
I can think of two reasons for Aubrey to come off the bench( at least in the first few games)
1) Really don’t know for sure if her back is 100%
2) If she is 100% she can be a game changer in critical situations
Last season, due to all the crazy injuries Geno was forced to play it by ear with what he had to work with. When people did start coming back, we would see 3 & 4 substitutions at one time at certain points in the game, usually to great effect. Hopefully, things will not be as hectic this season.
But…
Wonder if, once he can make judgements regarding which of the new faces can combine with the “veterans” most effectively, will we see the hockey style line changes at certain junctures.
Once they think they have the answers, maybe change all the questions?
As long as we don’t confuse and disrupt ourselves more than the enemy.
Since we don’t really know what’s going to happen once the opening bell rings, we’re free to speculate, propose & theorize to our hearts content.
Hope the first week in April is just as much fun

Reaction Score
Ines will only see the court in 20 pt. blowouts.
Do we really know Ines? Do we know how much she's matured and improved year to year? Do we know how she is practicing? I don't. Is it inconceivable that Nika picks up a couple of fouls in the warmup line and Azzi needs a breather and Ines plays minutes as the PG? A backup to the backup. Isn't that why Geno brought her in?

Reaction Score
Do we really know Ines? Do we know how much she's matured and improved year to year? Do we know how she is practicing? I don't. Is it inconceivable that Nika picks up a couple of fouls in the warmup line and Azzi needs a breather and Ines plays minutes as the PG? A backup to the backup. Isn't that why Geno brought her in?
Yes.... but I really like Ines... and very happy she is there (now and when needed)!

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Exactly. I believe Geno learned a hard lesson last year with all of the injuries. Ines was brought in at the 11th hour to shore up our guard population, so I believe she will get some work to give her some experience. It will be tough with our early schedule, but she wasn't signed to ride the bench. We may need her if the refs are killing us, so all guards must be able to play if needed no matter what their experience.

Reaction Score
Same starting 5 for me as most posters- Nika, Azzi, Caroline, Aaliyah and Dorka. What I’m interested in seeing is who subs for Dorka- wondering if it will be Amari, which could happen if she has made the progress that Geno wants.

Reaction Score
…on D and spread the floor on O. Geno just might have something here.
Yup, a true spread offense. No more trying to force the ball into double teamed posts. Hoist a few 3s at the start and the bigs will have it a lot easier posting up. That’s how Brink had the year she had last season. Dorka and Aaliyah deserve the same.

Reaction Score
Reality is speaking , again.

Inez probably was recruited to be a backup to a backup. But many are forgetting with only 5 true guards, she is the backup to the backup at three positions, 1-3, unless we resort to using a forward like Aubrey at the 3. Having 4 players consume all of the 120 minutes at those positions is very very difficult. To keep from having to rest some players too soon, and others way too late, most teams would use a 5th player for at least 5 or 6 minutes a game.

If all four of our main guards are healthy that 5th option is probably Inez if you want a true guard, or Aubrey if you want to use more of a big (in style) at the wing. One of those two or a combination probably gets some minutes subbing for our main guards. My guess based on Geno's comments about Aubrey's shooting, and someone saying she was seen working out with the guards, is that Aubrey has the inside track on that 5th option.

Even if that is true Inez could see meaningful minutes if any of our main four guards misses a game. That is not just possible, but very probable. If those four averaged missing a game or two each, you could easily have a half dozen games where the 5th option (Aubrey) becomes the 4th option playing close to half the game, and the 6th choice (Inez) gets the 5-6 minutes Aubrey was getting.

Another factor would be which of the four were out. Aubrey might be the better player vs. Inez, but if the missing player is either Nika or Azzi then would you rather have Lou or Caroline playing PG for part of the game or use Inez more? If Caroline or Lou is out Aubrey seems to be the more obvious choice IMO.

Regardless Inez was a necessary pickup. Having 4 guards doesn't cut it. We had to get somebody who was a guard, high school recruits and portal prospects had made their choices, and with the clock ticking we did the best we could. I don't have a good feel for how good Inez can be, but at a minimum I think there will be times this year when she has to be used, and during those times we likely will be glad Geno picked her up instead of relying on a walk-on.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yup, a true spread offense. No more trying to force the ball into double teamed posts. Hoist a few 3s at the start and the bigs will have it a lot easier posting up. That’s how Brink had the year she had last season. Dorka and Aaliyah deserve the same.
That’s what I’m thinking too. Four out, and alot of ball movement looking for mismatches. They’ll take the threes if they’re there, but I’m also looking for people to cut to the hoop. Think our normal motion offense on steroids, the way it looked in some of our best years.

Reaction Score
I don't have a good feel for how good Inez can be, but at a minimum I think there will be times this year when she has to be used, and during those times we likely will be glad Geno picked her up instead of relying on a walk-on.
Yup, exactly. There will be times.

Kyla Irwin had to start a few games, too, same reason, and she held her own. I suspect Ines will do the same.

What little I was able to find of video of Ines she reminded me a bit of Ashlynn. She's not as big or strong, perhaps, but she has a lot of confidence, and her team seemed to rely on her. She knows how to be that person. She could create her own shot, hit from the perimeter and the mid-range, and could be a nervy passer, but it's hard to know how any of that will translate to D1 competition.

Reaction Score
That’s what I’m thinking too. Four out, and alot of ball movement looking for mismatches. They’ll take the threes if they’re there, but I’m also looking for people to cut to the hoop. Think our normal motion offense on steroids, the way it looked in some of our best years.
I'm right there with you on this one too. Once the perimeter game asserts itself, driving the lane and either scoring or dishing off will be a lot easier.

I loved watching Christyn drive the lane. But for her it had to be all muscle and ingenuity -- and she was strong and clever -- because the lane was so often packed in. How often did we see her power the ball up to finish through a forest of hands?

I may miss Christyn, but I think Azzi Caroline and Lou will be able to cut and drive really well in this offense. And the thing I'm most anticipating is how each of them have distinctively different styles on the drive. Azzi can bump and drive with the best of them, pop-up for the jumper, or power through to the rim, and Caroline has that array of floaters and flip shots, and Lou is simply a great post up player in addition to all her spin moves.

Reaction Score
Inez probably was recruited to be a backup to a backup. But many are forgetting with only 5 true guards, she is the backup to the backup at three positions, 1-3, unless we resort to using a forward like Aubrey at the 3. Having 4 players consume all of the 120 minutes at those positions is very very difficult. To keep from having to rest some players too soon, and others way too late, most teams would use a 5th player for at least 5 or 6 minutes a game.

If all four of our main guards are healthy that 5th option is probably Inez if you want a true guard, or Aubrey if you want to use more of a big (in style) at the wing. One of those two or a combination probably gets some minutes subbing for our main guards. My guess based on Geno's comments about Aubrey's shooting, and someone saying she was seen working out with the guards, is that Aubrey has the inside track on that 5th option.

Even if that is true Inez could see meaningful minutes if any of our main four guards misses a game. That is not just possible, but very probable. If those four averaged missing a game or two each, you could easily have a half dozen games where the 5th option (Aubrey) becomes the 4th option playing close to half the game, and the 6th choice (Inez) gets the 5-6 minutes Aubrey was getting.

Another factor would be which of the four were out. Aubrey might be the better player vs. Inez, but if the missing player is either Nika or Azzi then would you rather have Lou or Caroline playing PG for part of the game or use Inez more? If Caroline or Lou is out Aubrey seems to be the more obvious choice IMO.

Regardless Inez was a necessary pickup. Having 4 guards doesn't cut it. We had to get somebody who was a guard, high school recruits and portal prospects had made their choices, and with the clock ticking we did the best we could. I don't have a good feel for how good Inez can be, but at a minimum I think there will be times this year when she has to be used, and during those times we likely will be glad Geno picked her up instead of relying on a walk-on.
Ines

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom