Larrier
Diarra
Onarauh

Vital gets 20 to 25 mins a game
Anderson 15 to 20 mins
Cobb and Carlton 15 mins
Williams 10 to 15 mins
Polley and Whaley 7 mins or less

I think we rely heavily on our guards which is our strength. I think Onarauh plays a big role. He has experience and averaged 4pts 7reb 1.5 blks his last year. I think our bigs just have to give us defense and scrap pts around the rim. Team will be better then most people think.

This would require A LOT of substituting to fit that minute rotation

Reaction Score
Adams
Vital
Larrier
Diarra
Onuorah

With Gilbert playing/practicing himself in if Vital struggles early.

Reaction Score
Gilbert
Adams
Larrier
Diarra
Question about the 5, guessing Cobb. I don't see Vital starting but I love his work ethic and he'll get minutes off the bench.
Reality is we haven't seen any of these players play together for any length of time and no lineup would be a surprise.

Reaction Score
Adams, Gilbert, Vital, Larrier & Cobb.

Cobb is limited but an enforcer type of player with some experience. Someone else could beat him out but right now my gut says it should be Cobb's job to lose.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I want to see cobb run up and down for 5 minutes before calling him the starter.

Reaction Score
I want to see cobb run up and down for 5 minutes before calling him the starter.

Not sure we have much to be concerned with here. Obviously he wasn't pushed to be in shape all that much at JC but he wasn't "fat" as some here seemed to believe he actually has a great body for Carlos to work with. And I am sure he's already been told of what is coming the first practice so he is more than likely running with the team preparing for his eyes to be opened. He will be in shape and that could be something great to watch. I mean he's a big kid, has some handle for his size and can pass it. If he uses his size on the defensive low post, moves his feet and rebounds that's a great start. But to be able to throw it to him and feel he can find open cutters and shooters, well that will be a first in a long time from any big men. Frank Martin had good things to say, there's something here just hope he "gets it" so we can all be surprised.

Reaction Score

That is a pretty low threshold. That's why he gets the edge. In survivor mode I think he can pass that test. I understand your concerns though. Here is hoping for the best. Cheers!

Reaction Score
when was the last time we redshirted someone who wasn't injured? I agree that there won't be a lot of minutes for whaley but I really just can't remember the last time we did it
Tough to redshirt players when you only have 10 guys on scholarship. Now that we have 12 players available (13 if Wilson somehow gets the waiver) this would be an opportunity to do it. Staff loves Whaley, but he won't play much this year because they feel he isn't strong enough. Give him a year in the weight room and different story.

Reaction Score
Rique
Jalen
Larrier
Diarra
Cobb

Combination of speed, skill, and power. Those first 5 minutes, setting the tone, we need to be able to score but just as important we need to be able to defend and own the boards down low. Sub out Diarra for Williams maybe but I think Diarra probably projects more power down low.

pj

Reaction Score
Rique
Jalen
Larrier
Diarra
Cobb

Combination of speed, skill, and power. Those first 5 minutes, setting the tone, we need to be able to score but just as important we need to be able to defend and own the boards down low. Sub out Diarra for Williams maybe but I think Diarra probably projects more power down low.

Updating mine: Alterique, Jalen, Terry, Kwintin, and Cobb. Diarra major minutes off the bench at PF-C (and some starts as Kwintin learns the ropes), Vital and Anderson major minutes on the perimeter. That's your 8 man rotation, plus a number of frontcourt players getting training minutes, or, where size is required and Cobb is on the bench, Onuorah.

Reaction Score
*All under the assumption Wilson will not be cleared.

1. Jalen
2. Gilbert
3. TL
4. Diarra
5. Onourah

Although this is who I believe will start, this is not the lineup I suspect to get the most minutes. Vital proved last year he can be a dependable guard with 3 point shooting potential and I also believe Anderson coming off the bench will provide defensive leadership (do not sleep on Anderson's scoring abilities either), so I like the ability to go small here with these two guys being first two off the bench.

Starting Onourah or Cobb is kind of a toss up IMO. I'm leaning more towards Onourah given his athleticism and paint presence, which is something that Cobb lacks. I hope Cobb turns into a skilled center we can depend on, but right now I think the combination of Onourah and Diarra in the starting lineup gives this team the rebounding and blocking presence they have been missing.

Whaley, Carlton, Williams, and Polley all get sporadic minutes but would really like to see any of these guys besides Carlton become a serviceable 3 or 4 in the rotation.

Reaction Score
Tough to redshirt players when you only have 10 guys on scholarship. Now that we have 12 players available (13 if Wilson somehow gets the waiver) this would be an opportunity to do it. Staff loves Whaley, but he won't play much this year because they feel he isn't strong enough. Give him a year in the weight room and different story.

The thing about redshirting is that you don't have to make a definitive decision at the start of the season. You just have to keep open to the possibility by not giving him garbage minutes if he's not in the rotation.

Our front court is all question marks past Larrier. If Whaley pushes his way in to the rotation, great. But if not, absolutely he is a player who could use a year in the weight room before starting to utilize his eligibility

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Physically, he's looking really good right now from the pics that were posted. Lost 20+ pounds

Cobb appears to have the most complete game of any of the (real) bigs. If he can physically (stamina) hack it, I'd reckon he's a shoo-in to start.

Reaction Score
Adams
Vital
Larrier
Williams
Cobb

Gilbert will play starters minutes and sometimes start in Williams place, pushing Larrier to the 4.

I don't trust Diarra's knees but if he is healthy and explosive it will be great to have two freak type athletes that can play the 4.

If David O starts, it should be temporary while some of the other bigs develop and gain confidence. If starts the whole year, we have a problem.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Beginning of year:
Jalen
Vital
TL
Kwintin
Cobb

First off bench Rique.

As the season progresses switch Christian and Gilbert.

I see Kwinitn as potentially being a Donny Marshall type player with more hops. It would be great to have him run the fast break. He's fast. His playing time will be contingent on how he picks up offensive and defensive sets. Kentan took three plus years to understand things and even then his offensive role was limited although polished. If he's as lost as Kentan then it's the Mountain Dew.

Cobb is a big (both figuratively and literally ) question mark for me. I watched an entire game in which I observed a guy who is bb savvy but earthbound. He'd make a good play and follow it up with a turnover. He's good at getting rebounds (good hands, carves out a lot of space) but they have to be in his reach. I probably can get off the ground higher than he does. He knows how to set screens and could be Jake 2.0. His size works against him in that refs will call fouls on him to protect runts. The thing that intrigues me the most is that the game I watched Cobb was returning from a bad ankle sprain and his weight ballooned to something like 310. So he was rusty and severely overweight.

Carlton would be the next best choice imo.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Guards Adams and Gilbert.
SF Larrier
PF Diarra? Or maybe Willams at sf then move Larrier to pf?
C Cobb?
-------------
I'm assuming Wilson not coming until 2018 therefore a quick lineup as a secondary option - throw in Vital with Adams and Gilbert and move Larrier to pf?

If UCONN is forced play slowdown ball then it's whoever is playing best/ by committee. Josh Carlton is probably a ways away. Polley is a bit thin but maybe in pinch can guard pf's? Though I read he is 6'7 and in another he is 6'9? What is he? He might be too thin / too small to be relied upon much this year?

SO does this mean primariy UCONN will go with a Diarra/Larrier combo art the pf spots?
Adams, Gilbert, Larrier, Diarra and Cobb.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
You know what's the best thing about this thread? Despite the pessimism I witnessed on the 'yard over the summer, there are a lot of options and a lot of potential contributors. Adams and Larrier will start. The rest can go lots of different ways, and will depend on how things go in practices.
  • I wrote long ago that I like Polley's game a lot, and think he can be a long 3 spelling Larrier, or a stretch 4 opening up the lane. He'll get run as both.
  • Carlton can play the 5, or can play 4 if Cobb is on the floor against teams where we need more inside strength.
  • If we want more quickness at the 4-5 it might be Diarra and Carlton. Or Onourah and Diarra. Or Onourah and Carlton. Or Larrier and one of the above. Or Polley and one of the above. It won't be Cobb.
  • Williams is a wildcard, and I mean that literally. He could contribute at lots of positions, but will need a bit of discipline in his game if he wants to see the floor.
  • If Whaley plays a lot it'll be because he earned it in practice.
  • Vital, Gilbert and Anderson are a very solid guard group to go with Adams. We'll play three guards at times, when matchups allow, and in finishing games. We'll want more length most of the time, and our wings are athletic enough to get out on the break.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Not sure why many think Onuorah will start. I think he'll get Rock Lubin-type minutes.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Adams, Gilbert and Larrier will be the only guaranteed starters to begin. I see Cobb starting at the 5 with everything I've heard on him recently. Probably go small to begin with Gilbert, Adams, Vital, Larrier and Cobb.

C

Chief00

I know some want Chief to Confirm a starting line-up. As you know, Chief is more concerned about who is in there at crunch time. Nevertheless, quite frankly, I recognize this is an annual casual fan exercise. Therefore, Chief will participate to help spike the interest. But, first I want to watch the fella’s ball some more. I promise all the casual fans out there - I will have a starting lineup well before the season starts.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not sure why many think Onuorah will start. I think he'll get Rock Lubin-type minutes.
Not so sure. He seems consistent as a rebounder which is a major weakness on the team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom