Starting 5 this year? | The Boneyard

Starting 5 this year?

Reaction Score
Guards Adams and Gilbert.
SF Larrier
PF Diarra? Or maybe Willams at sf then move Larrier to pf?
C Cobb?
-------------
I'm assuming Wilson not coming until 2018 therefore a quick lineup as a secondary option - throw in Vital with Adams and Gilbert and move Larrier to pf?

If UCONN is forced play slowdown ball then it's whoever is playing best/ by committee. Josh Carlton is probably a ways away. Polley is a bit thin but maybe in pinch can guard pf's? Though I read he is 6'7 and in another he is 6'9? What is he? He might be too thin / too small to be relied upon much this year?

SO does this mean primariy UCONN will go with a Diarra/Larrier combo art the pf spots?

pj

Reaction Score
Gilbert, Adams, Larrier, Diarra, Onuorah or Cobb. Vital and Anderson get plenty of minutes on perimeter, I think we go small when Larrier is resting rather than to Polley, but we'll see. Interior backup roles are totally up for grabs, any number of players could grab minutes. Will be interesting to see how the coaches handle the bigs. A lot of young players in need of development.

Reaction Score
If we go small it will be vital at the 3 if anything. Williams has no chance to play the 3 at all. He has literally 0 d1 skills with the ball in his hands other than 3s and dunking. He will carve out a role shooting 3s, dunking, rebounding, and playinf a1 defense if were lucky. Well be even luckier if he turns into a more athletic shonn miller in two years.

Starting center will be by committee and who sticks out in practice. I bet we start with cobb/onourah because of experience, even if its limited. My hope is carlton comes along by conference play, because hes got the highest ceiling of the bunch and those two are not likely to improve thattt much more at this point in their careers. Carlton has a world of potential imo if he can develop a bit more athleticism and hone his skills at the d1 level. Hes the kind of player that has quietly burned us for 15 years.

pj

Reaction Score
If we go small it will be vital at the 3 if anything. Williams has no chance to play the 3 at all. He has literally 0 d1 skills with the ball in his hands other than 3s and dunking. He will carve out a role shooting 3s, dunking, rebounding, and playinf a1 defense if were lucky. Well be even luckier if he turns into a more athletic shonn miller in two years.

Starting center will be by committee and who sticks out in practice. I bet we start with cobb/onourah because of experience, even if its limited. My hope is carlton comes along by conference play, because hes got the highest ceiling of the bunch and those two are not likely to improve thattt much more at this point in their careers. Carlton has a world of potential imo if he can develop a bit more athleticism and hone his skills at the d1 level. Hes the kind of player that has quietly burned us for 15 years.

What's the evidence Williams can shoot 3's? His 3 pt % (8-21) in JUCO may not be a reliable guide due to small numbers and should be balanced by his poor FT % (53%).

Reaction Score
What's the evidence Williams can shoot 3's? His 3 pt % (8-21) in JUCO may not be a reliable guide due to small numbers and should be balanced by his poor FT % (53%).

He didnt shoot threes the first half f the season and did later. Makes me think he at least has potential. Also the fact that ollie likes a 4 who csn make the shot. We wont really know till november though!

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Anderson
Vital
Polley
Williams
Carlton

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gilbert will come off the bench I would think. I just don't see how the only 2 returning players who played more than 3 games won't start

Adams
Vital
Larrier
??
??

Reaction Score
Jalen, Alterique, Terry, Mamadou, Cobb. Vital, Anderson, Polley will see significant minutes. Carlton, Williams seeing some minutes. Onuorah, Whaley not seeing too much time.

C

Chief00

Finishing lineup:

Gilbert, Adams, Vital, Larrier, TBD big man
I agree. I think we will go with 3 guards much of the time. Vital will get starters minutes. I hear that KO really likes Anderson's attitude and toughness, I think he will play more than some expect. Cobb and Williams really need to be evaluated on campus - I don't think the coaches have determined how much they think they can help. Cobb's offense is ahead of the Cornell Big guy from what I have been told. KO is happy we finally have some guys to set screens. Look for a lot of that two man game with others going to spots after the defense breaks down.

C

Chief00

Anyone have a scouting report on this guy?

Even now Carlton is our best offensive Big - leaving Cobb out of equation for further evaluation. If Williams works on his skills and develops his competitive game BB IQ, he potentially could be special in a couple of years. But, that's up to him - although Carlos and DK will push him for sure.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Gilbert
Adams
Larrier
Mamadou
Cobb

Vital first off the bench - I think he'll likely beat out Anderson for the bulk of the backcourt reserve minutes.

Front court is the wild west. I think Cobb and Diarra will start, but Carlton and Polley should be able to get minutes. If it turns out to be Carlton and Diarra or Cobb and Carlton, I will not be shocked.

Onuorah, Whaley and Williams look like practice contributors to me - Whaley is a probable redshirt.

Reaction Score
Gilbert
Adams
Larrier
Mamadou
Cobb

Vital first off the bench - I think he'll likely beat out Anderson for the bulk of the backcourt reserve minutes.

Front court is the wild west. I think Cobb and Diarra will start, but Carlton and Polley should be able to get minutes. If it turns out to be Carlton and Diarra or Cobb and Carlton, I will not be shocked.

Onuorah, Whaley and Williams look like practice contributors to me - Whaley is a probable redshirt.
when was the last time we redshirted someone who wasn't injured? I agree that there won't be a lot of minutes for whaley but I really just can't remember the last time we did it

Reaction Score
Adams
Gilbert
Larrier
Diarra
Onarauh

Vital gets 20 to 25 mins a game
Anderson 15 to 20 mins
Cobb and Carlton 15 mins
Williams 10 to 15 mins
Polley and Whaley 7 mins or less

I think we rely heavily on our guards which is our strength. I think Onarauh plays a big role. He has experience and averaged 4pts 7reb 1.5 blks his last year. I think our bigs just have to give us defense and scrap pts around the rim. Team will be better then most people think.

Reaction Score
AG
Adams
Larrier
Diarra
Carlton

I'm a sucker for those low post moves vs chairs on twitter for Carlton. Him, Cobb and onarauh will compete major for 5 minutes, sort of like olander Brimah and Nolan. Polley and Williams are reinforcements in the post, then Anderson and vital provide backcourt depth. Im drinking the koolaid on this rotation, it's damn good... backcourt is one of the best in the country imo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom