Starting 5 in November 2012? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Starting 5 in November 2012?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kind of a semi-off topic in the middle of this. It's "TEBOW TIME" to remember what his teams uniform looks like because he seems to be awfully adept at throwing to the wrong guys. I'm sorry to throw this in but I and the vast amount of football purists feel that this guy is a joke as an NFL quarterback and to see TEBOW TIME every time I view a post on the UConn women's basketball site is offensive to me. I would hope you decide to remove it and focus on what this site is about, women's basketball. Thank you!!!!!!!!!
As the Scots like to say: "Piss off!" Football purists? Oh, you mean the herd, as in herd of cattle that do the same thing as everyone else so they don't have to take risks. Tebow's stats are better than Elway's at the same time in their careers. And you are not sorry to throw this in ... why lie? Oh, it is the herd's way. It will go away after the NFL season is over only to be replaced with something even more bothersome to you ... at least I hope soooooooooo!

Reaction Score
I also believe the lineup will look like this come one year:
November, 2012....Position.............January, 2013
Doty.............................Point Guard...............Hartley
Hartley........................Shooting Guard..........Mosqueda-Lewis
Mosqueda-Lewis........Small Forward............Faris
Faris............................Power Forward...........Stewart
Dolson.........................Center.........................Dolson
What I would like to see for January, 2012:
January, 2012....Position...........
Point Guard................Hayes
Shooting Guard..........Hartley
Small Forward........... Mosqueda-Lewis
Power Forward..........Faris
Center.........................Dolson
Reasons: 1) the ball get up the court faster, possibly with less turnover 2) Hartley become a true scorer without the pressure of point guard duties 3) Hayes, with her speed has more opportunity to dribble-drive and kick out 4) more fire power on the floor to start the game 5) Doty can run a mixed lineup (starters and non-starters) better than most, hence less loss of momentum.
What I would like to see for 2012/2013:
November, 2012....Position.............
Faris..........................Point Guard
Hartley........................Shooting Guard
Mosqueda-Lewis........Small Forward
Stewart.......................Power Forward
Dolson.........................Center
Reasons: 1) Faris advances the ball to the front court very quickly with passes to the wings 2) if Stewart has proved herself in practice, her Pan Am play against experienced players means no need to watch the game to see the flow of the game.
I really like your version best. Good job!!!!! Faris at point is perfect. Hartley IS a natural shooting guard. Faris' speed, passing skills, and intelligent play make her ideally suited. Mosqueda-Lewis is a good rebounder so no loss there by moving Faris out of the small forward position. Stewart will make Dolson even better. Stewart will be a big with offensive skills and she will be a monster defender. If an opponent eludes Dolson there will be no easy lay up. No one will be able to simply focus their defensive post pressure on Dolson. Plus the transition game will actually be better since Stewart really runs the floor well with good ball skills. Yeah, the more I type the more I really, really like your line up of starters.

Reaction Score
If only one could dream and have all those players on the floor on the 29th this year.........They will be here soon enough and I am very happy with the current team. Baylor will not be able to get the ball in BG in the next game and that game will be on a neutral court.......GO UCONN!!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Isn't winning still the object of playing the game?

What kind of question is this?

Since when does loyalty supersede talent and winning?

Ask Geno. He is the one starting Doty over Lewis. Well, except for winning. Unless you are saying that Geno starting Doty caused UConn to lose.

At her best, CD was never better than MJ is projected to be at PG.

And Jefferson doesn't have Doty's experience, so projections are just that. Projections, not fact.

If MT is as good as advertised there is no way that KF beats her at PF.

Really? You think Geno will start Tuck over Faris after starting her for the last 2 years? How long have you followed this program?

And lastly, I can see BS and MT on the court together. Without SD, unless she is able to turn her game around.

So, now Dolson will be benched?

Peace,

John Fryer

Now you have 3 freshman starting next year and Geno sitting 2 seniors and a junior for them. It's kinda funny unless you really mean it. Then it's insane.

Reaction Score
If only one could dream and have all those players on the floor on the 29th this year.........They will be here soon enough and I am very happy with the current team. Baylor will not be able to get the ball in BG in the next game and that game will be on a neutral court.......GO UCONN!!
Yeah, and Faris will be able to soley focus on defending Baylor's point guard (senior moment, can't recall her name) and not worry about rebounding and defending Pope or whomever.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score

And lastly, I can see BS and MT on the court together. Without SD, unless she is able to turn her game around.

Peace,

John Fryer

The use of the initials in this message reminds me of the song from "Hair":

LBJ took the IRT
Down to 4th Street USA
When he got there
What did he see?
The youth of America on LSD

LBJ IRT
USA LSD

LSD LBJ
FBI CIA

FBI CIA
LSD LBJ

Now John is apparently referring to Moriah Jefferson when he says "MJ," but it also could be confused with Michala Johnson. CD could be Caroline Doty, but it could be confused with Chris Dailey. PG is obviously point guard, but in my ancient imagination, it also could refer to "Polo Grounds." BS is obviously Breanna Stewart but we all know what it also stands for. The point I'm making is that this use of abbreviations is darn confusing. In reading John's message I had to translate and that takes time. Now some abbreviations are obvious and useful, such as KML. It would be a pain to have write out Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis each time. It's not likely KML refers to anything else, although Bob Picozzi obviously gets confused on that point. So, I propose that we try to identify the Huskies by a method that doesn't require so much translation. Example, why not refer to Kelly Faris as Kelly in order to be brief? We all know who Kelly is. I realize that there are going to be some problems when Bria, Breanna, and Brianna are teammates next year, but each is uniquely spelled and it shouldn't be too hard to tell them apart if we refer to them by their first names.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
The use of the initials in this message reminds me of the song from "Hair":

Now John is apparently referring to Moriah Jefferson when he says "MJ," but it also could be confused with Michala Johnson. CD could be Caroline Doty, but it could be confused with Chris Dailey. PG is obviously point guard, but in my ancient imagination, it also could refer to "Polo Grounds." BS is obviously Breanna Stewart but we all know what it also stands for. The point I'm making is that this use of abbreviations is darn confusing. In reading John's message I had to translate and that takes time. Now some abbreviations are obvious and useful, such as KML. It would be a pain to have write out Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis each time. It's not likely KML refers to anything else, although Bob Picozzi obviously gets confused on that point. So, I propose that we try to identify the Huskies by a method that doesn't require so much translation. Example, why not refer to Kelly Faris as Kelly in order to be brief? We all know who Kelly is. I realize that there are going to be some problems when Bria, Breanna, and Brianna are teammates next year, but each is uniquely spelled and it shouldn't be too hard to tell them apart if we refer to them by their first names.
Just use the last names including KLM as Lewis and you're all set.

Reaction Score
So, you think Geno will start 3 freshman and a soph next year and bench 2 seniors and a junior as John suggested?
No, all I've been saying is that he will not continue to start underachievers just out of loyalty. If we underperform and have some losses you can bet he will make changes. All good coaches would.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
No, all I've been saying is that he will not continue to start underachievers just out of loyalty. If we underperform and have some losses you can bet he will make changes. All good coaches would.

The most exciting part of being a UConn fan next year will be getting into Gampel for an occasional practice. If it's the "old guys" against the "young guns", there will be a ton of things to report on and argue about.

Geno won't need male practice players to challenge his veteran starters.

Whooop-dee-doo!

Let the sparks fly!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Starting or coming off the bench, UConn will be so loaded next year, I can't see how that will matter.

Reaction Score

Peace,

John Fryer

Nykesha Sales did not start in place of Pam Weber. If Moriah is as talented as Nykesha, she play the minutes that Nykesha played, but if Caroline is healthy enough to play next year, she will start.

Reaction Score
It's going to be Caroline, Bria, KML, Kelly, and Stef, with Breanna playing starter's minutes assuming she's as college-ready as she appears to be.

Tuck, MoJeff, Kiah, Breanna, and Buck will have roles. What those roles are will depend largely on how they progress. I am of the personal opinion that, barring injury, Moriah will be brought along a bit slowly. Freshman PGs are not reliable, no matter how talented they are. Bria plays a lot of point even this year and will continue to do so. In 2013-14, I bet the starters will be Moriah, Bria, KML, Breanna, and Stef.
I don't think anyone can discount Moriah starting as a freshman or any freshman. Renee started 35 out of 37 games as a freshman. She may actually seem to Geno as Renee revisited. I see Geno as a situational coach. He will organize his team according to the situation and not be inflexible and stick with what worked in the past because every year the situation is different.

Reaction Score
Moriah will be brought along a bit slowly. Freshman PGs are not reliable, no matter how talented they are. quote]
Renee started 35 out of 37 games her freshman year.

Reaction Score
If you look at the high school #1s Geno has brought in:

Sales
Ralph
Williams
Taurasi
Strother
Charles
Moore
KML

Most of them began their college careers as bench players, and those who didn't started as a result of necessity (i.e., injuries or the team just wanted that deep). No matter how good Breanna is, I doubt Geno's going to start her on a stacked team. However, I do expect she'll play as many minutes as the starters, much like KML does this year.
Why did Renee start as a freshman?

Reaction Score
Why did Renee start as a freshman?

Renee started out as a freshman because we never really had a starting PG the year before. It rotated between Nicole, Mel, Ketia, and Ashley Valley. She also walked into Uconn like she owned the place.

I Moriah won't come into the same situation.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Renee started out as a freshman because we never really had a starting PG the year before. It rotated between Nicole, Mel, Ketia, and Ashley Valley. She also walked into Uconn like she owned the place.

Exactly.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

To be more specific, Moriah will be coming in to a situation where there is Doty, a returning fifth year senior and 2 1/2 year starter at point and Hartley, a junior that started at point when Doty was injured.

Reaction Score
First post here. I have to tell some of you though - this is somewhat the content I read. UCONN might as well rescind it's scholarship offer to Breanna Stewart because by 2014, another even more talented player will come along. You know, she might dribble the ball off of her foot someday and even miss a rebound. I can't believe Geno might even recruit such an underachiever.

Come on people, enjoy the players we have NOW.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
First post here. I have to tell some of you though - this is somewhat the content I read. UCONN might as well rescind it's scholarship offer to Breanna Steward because by 2014, another even more talented player will come along. You know, she might dribble the ball off of her foot someday and even miss a rebound. I can't believe Geno might even recruit such an underachiever.

Come on people, enjoy the players we have NOW.
Welcome to the board.

It's Stewart, not Steward.

Reaction Score
Sorry Breanna - and doggydaddy too. As you might have detected, I was a little annoyed over some of the posts and just got typing too fast. I'll even learn how to correct a post. Thanks dd for pointing it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom