Starting 5 in November 2012? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Starting 5 in November 2012?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Have to agree, Morgan Tuck has a world of potential and could be very valuable in certain matchups.
LEFT ON! Tuck will be "Super Sub" exploiting match ups at both forward positions and at shooting guard.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
The way Geno uses the point guard Faris could be effectively the point guard. She did play the position in high school.
Actually, it's the one position Kelly didn't really play in HS.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Actually you would be very wrong. Let Kelly tell you she played 1 through 5 in high school.
She said about 1-5, the about was the PG spot. As someone who watched every one of Kelly's game her last few years of HS, she may have played an occassional minute or two at PG but that was it and it didn't happen often. Her best friend was the PG and a Division 1 player as well.

Reaction Score
In another interview this
She said about 1-5, the about was the PG spot. As someone who watched every one of Kelly's game her last few years of HS, she may have played an occassional minute or two at PG but that was it and it didn't happen often. Her best friend was the PG and a Division 1 player as well.
In another interview this year she said she played point guard in high school and was amenable to playing the point for UCONN if needed. I will believe she knows more about her game than you.

Reaction Score
November, 2012....Positition.............January, 2013
Doty.............................Point Guard...............Hartley
Hartley........................Shooting Guard..........Mosqueda-Lewis
Mosqueda-Lewis........Small Forward............Faris
Faris............................Power Forward...........Stewart
Dolson.........................Center.........................Dolson

STARTERS
POINT GUARD: Hartley will move to the point. Doty's knee will have slowed her too much. After January 1, 2013 she will see some minutes at point and shooting guard but they will be limited.
SHOOTING GUARD: Mosqueda-Lewis will be the shooting guard.
SMALL FORWARD: Faris moves to small forward.
POWER FORWARD: After January 1, 2013 Stewart claims power forward position if not sooner. Geno will be relieved to finally have a tall lineup.
CENTER: It will be Dolson.

PRIMARY SUBS:
Jefferson will backup Hartley. She will play 15-20 minutes per game after January 1, 2013. Hartley and Banks (hopefully) will spell Mosqueda-Lewis when she needs a rest. If it is Hartley, then Jefferson will be at point guard. Whenever "Iron Woman" Faris needs a rest then either Mosqueda-Lewis or Stokes (hopefully) would move to small forward. If Stwart needs a rest then Faris or Stokes (hopefully) would move to power forward. Dolson can be replaced with Buck or Stokes (hopefully). I think Stewart stays at power forward unless Dolson and/or Stokes craters. Then and only then will she factor into the center position. Tuck, "Super Sub," will sub at small and power forwards and shooting guard. I think after January 1, 2013 Tuck will see 15+ minutes per game. Doty will sub at the point and shooting guard positions. I don't see Johnson and Engeln playing many minutes.

IMO your 2012 starting lineup is right on. As good as Stewart will be, I don't think Geno will start her over Kelly or CD. There will be times when she will be on the floor with the other starters and Jefferson and that will ber something to see!

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Just curious, but what does this link provide regarding Kelly's experience or lack of experience as point guard?? I didn't see any mention of it.

The article is about Kelly's best friend and the POINT GUARD of their high school team. Bruinball saw her far more than I did and I don't get why he is being challenged on this, but I did see some of Kelly's high school games. She would push the ball in transition if she got a steal or defensive rebound, although usually that didn't last long because she liked to throw long touchdown passes as soon as she got the ball. She did not play PG in the games I saw as there is a difference between pushing the ball up in transition and playing point guard. She really played the role she plays for UConn now, and that Maya played as a hybrid post/perimeter player.

Reaction Score
I know she hasn't played point guard, but I'm sort of surprised about it. She seems like a natural point guard.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
T
The article is about Kelly's best friend and the POINT GUARD of their high school team. Bruinball saw her far more than I did and I don't get why he is being challenged on this, but I did see some of Kelly's high school games. She would push the ball in transition if she got a steal or defensive rebound, although usually that didn't last long because she liked to throw long touchdown passes as soon as she got the ball. She did not play PG in the games I saw as there is a difference between pushing the ball up in transition and playing point guard. She really played the role she plays for UConn now, and that Maya played as a hybrid post/perimeter player.
Thank you Scotter. I was not implying she couldn't play PG, but on her HS team she had a very capable PG already on the team. Her skills were better used elsewhere.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I think Geno incorporates the hockey line philosophy...wholesale substitutions...5 at a time... So here goes.

Line number one: Stefanie Dolson, Heather Buck, Kelly Faris, KML, Bria Hartley

Line number two: Kiah Stokes, Breanna Stewart, Morgan Tuck, Caroline Doty, Moriah Jefferson

Substitutions: Brianna Banks, Michala Johnson and Laura Engeln

Reaction Score
I think Geno incorporates the hockey line philosophy...wholesale substitutions...5 at a time... So here goes.

Line number one: Stefanie Dolson, Heather Buck, Kelly Faris, KML, Bria Hartley

Line number two: Kiah Stokes, Breanna Stewart, Morgan Tuck, Caroline Doty, Moriah Jefferson

Substitutions: Brianna Banks, Michala Johnson and Laura Engeln

In Line Number two: If you agree to substitute BH for KS and KML for CD, then I with you 100%.

Peace,

John Fryer

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
5069591921174AFBB5ADFE303EB6E358.ashx.jpeg

Our starters of the future? That's Moriah horizontally, Breanna (#40), and Morgan (holding Moriah's legs) along with Bria, KML, and Stefanie.

Reaction Score
Damn!!! the 2012 roster is going to be soo deep, when was the last time UConn was this deep and talented ? 2000? 2002? 2004? 2008? 2009?

Reaction Score
I also believe the lineup will look like this come one year:

November, 2012....Position.............January, 2013

What I would like to see for January, 2012:

January, 2012....Position...........
Point Guard................Hayes
Shooting Guard..........Hartley
Small Forward........... Mosqueda-Lewis
Power Forward..........Faris
Center.........................Dolson

Reasons: 1) the ball get up the court faster, possibly with less turnover 2) Hartley become a true scorer without the pressure of point guard duties 3) Hayes, with her speed has more opportunity to dribble-drive and kick out 4) more fire power on the floor to start the game 5) Doty can run a mixed lineup (starters and non-starters) better than most, hence less loss of momentum.

What I would like to see for 2012/2013:

November, 2012....Position.............
Faris..........................Point Guard
Hartley........................Shooting Guard
Mosqueda-Lewis........Small Forward
Stewart.......................Power Forward
Dolson.........................Center

Reasons: 1) Faris advances the ball to the front court very quickly with passes to the wings 2) if Stewart has proved herself in practice, her Pan Am play against experienced players means no need to watch the game to see the flow of the game.

Reaction Score
In another interview this

In another interview this year she said she played point guard in high school and was amenable to playing the point for UCONN if needed. I will believe she knows more about her game than you.
Kind of a semi-off topic in the middle of this. It's "TEBOW TIME" to remember what his teams uniform looks like because he seems to be awfully adept at throwing to the wrong guys. I'm sorry to throw this in but I and the vast amount of football purists feel that this guy is a joke as an NFL quarterback and to see TEBOW TIME every time I view a post on the UConn women's basketball site is offensive to me. I would hope you decide to remove it and focus on what this site is about, women's basketball. Thank you!!!!!!!!!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I also believe the lineup will look like this come one year:

November, 2012....Position.............January, 2013
I'm not sure that Geno would take a Senior who has always started and pull her from the starting lineup. He would only do this for two reasons, Caroline gets hurt or she is playing so badly it's negatively impacting the team's performance.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that Geno would take a Senior who has always started and pull her from the starting lineup. He would only do this for two reasons, Caroline gets hurt or she is playing so badly it's negatively impacting the team's performance.

Isn't winning still the object of playing the game?

Since when does loyalty supersede talent and winning?

At her best, CD was never better than MJ is projected to be at PG.

If MT is as good as advertised there is no way that KF beats her at PF.

And lastly, I can see BS and MT on the court together. Without SD, unless she is able to turn her game around.

Peace,

John Fryer

Reaction Score
Geno is under no obligation to keep anyone happy. (Samarie? Not happy here? Goodbye, kid. Elena, it was nice to meet you. Good luck.) His mission is to win. The way he wins is to recruit players who are skilled, then play the players who earn playing time by demonstrating a combination of motivation and skill, especially motivation. The exit door is always unlocked and open.

Happiness comes when nets are cut down.

I couldn't agree more. Everyone talks about how loyal Geno is to his vets. If they lose a game or two with the vets next year, just watch his loyalty vaporize.
He wants NCs more than love.

Reaction Score
Isn't winning still the object of playing the game?

Since when does loyalty supersede talent and winning?

At her best, CD was never better than MJ is projected to be at PG.

If MT is as good as advertised there is no way that KF beats her at PF.

And lastly, I can see BS and MT on the court together. Without SD, unless she is able to turn her game around.

Peace,

John Fryer
Amen bro.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I believe the point people are making, however, is that Geno will not simply pull senior experienced players without cause just to have the new. There is a lot to learn in playing college hoops and Geno understands that and likes to bring players, even great talents, along slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom