Start Omar over Purvis | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Start Omar over Purvis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Keep the lineup as but definitely like seeing small ball with DHAM at the 4. Makes us a lot more flexible on offense. More open looks.

Reaction Score
Both players are inconsistent, but both are very important to this team's success.

Who starts is irrelevant, getting a lot of good consistent minutes is huge, given the offensive woes on this team, a lineup with both of them in there may turn out to be the best one.

Reaction Score
I like him being instant offense off the bench as the 6th man. Just because he is not starting doesn't mean he can't play more minutes than starters. This team needs to find a grove, no point in changing what isn't broken.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Rodney and Omar both belong on the court. Omar needs more minutes, though. Smart, efficient game from him. Omar was essential to the win, but both guys are essential to the season.

If there was a loser today it was Cassell. He played minimally, and Omar was the clear move over him when it came to our guards. If anybody noticed the set with Omar and Hamilton allowed a ton of ball movement. Very fluid offense at that point. Loved the hustle.

Reaction Score
Rodney and Omar both belong on the court. Omar needs more minutes, though. Smart, efficient game from him. Omar was essential to the win, but both guys are essential to the season.

If there was a loser today it was Cassell. He played minimally, and Omar was the clear move over him when it came to our guards. If anybody noticed the set with Omar and Hamilton allowed a ton of ball movement. Very fluid offense at that point. Loved the hustle.

Yeah, I suspect that Cassell has some DNP-CDs in his near future.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
With Calhoun playing well and TSam finally hitting free throws and playing more under control, Ollie finally may have his eight man rotation.
Boat, Brimah, Dham, Omar, Facey, Nolan, Purvis, TSam. The others guys are when needed.

Reaction Score
Why change after a victory? The bench produced which was very important. If Purvis comes off the bench and does not produce then . . . . . . .

However we do need to find a way to stop digging holes (halftime/2nd half) for ourselves. If Calhoun can do that then it should be considered.

Reaction Score
I think Omar has definitely earned a few more minutes. Besides shooting, he's been doing a lot of the intangibles and really hustling the past two games. His hustle and determination seems to rub off on others as well. He looks much more well rounded.

At this point I think Starting Purvis helps his confidence, and playing Omar off the bench is working. He seems to respond well to coming off the bench and has given us a nice spark.

C

Chief00

Who starts is important to the average fan and the players but from a coaches perspective it's really about the minutes, who plays with who and most importantly who plays at the end of the game.
Having said that Omar has earned major minutes and I think Hamilton has hit one of those usual Freshmen speed bumps.

Reaction Score
Who starts is important to the average fan and the players but from a coaches perspective it's really about the minutes, who plays with who and most importantly who plays at the end of the game.
Having said that Omar has earned major minutes and I think Hamilton has hit one of those usual Freshmen speed bumps.

Don't get honest with us, Chief! You know us simpletons don't like it when you drop the straight truth on us!

Reaction Score
Purvis is an inside out player.... He should spend a little more driving to the basket than settling for a perimeter shot... He's a scoring guard....and he's big and strong... Hes not a jump shot first player... Omar - I'm just happy he's back... Injuries made folks forget about him. He's a player folks...and if he can get the jumper flowing consistently we'll be even better...mark my words...

Reaction Score
Boneyarders will be too quick to jump on Purvis but the bright side of it is that we have Omar stepping up which brings many to the automatic trigger to throw him in... Liked what I saw today just would like to see omar dham purvis get some set plays to score and open the floor so boatright can go to work
Purvis had a great day. Now we have to see if he can do it consistently. Same goes for Omar who was really impressive. If those 2 can play as they did today we could make a serious run in the conference and then who knows. We would also see Boat become more effective driving the lanes and either scoring or dishing. The ability to make outside shots changes everything.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
you can't really say that because purvis offers strength and speed omar doesn't, and thats all relevant in the halfcourt. look omar deserves major minutes and thats a big deal because he's risen from the ashes/. I'm just say be cautious creating a line between the two's respected impact. i would like to see more small with hamilton atthe 4 also so both oc and purv can play.
Speed is no good if you don't use it to exploit the defense. It's distinctly different watching omar act off a pass vs. Rodney. Omar makes a read and acts. If the defense is late he shoots, if the defense is closing too aggressively he puts the ball on the floor, if help comes he makes the extra pass. Omar is showing more proficiency in the KO system than purvis. The ball "sticks" on Rodney. He elevates into the close out and gets caught without a plan. He allows the defense to recover. Yes he's dangerous in the open floor and we need that, but his decision making is often alarming. What gifts Omar lacks in comparison, for my $, are more than offset by his iq. If Omar's J is alive, if prefer he get more minutes at Rodney's expense.

Reaction Score
Speed is no good if you don't use it to exploit the defense. It's distinctly different watching omar act off a pass vs. Rodney. Omar makes a read and acts. If the defense is late he shoots, if the defense is closing too aggressively he puts the ball on the floor, if help comes he makes the extra pass. Omar is showing more proficiency in the KO system than purvis. The ball "sticks" on Rodney. He elevates into the close out and gets caught without a plan. He allows the defense to recover. Yes he's dangerous in the open floor and we need that, but his decision making is often alarming. What gifts Omar lacks in comparison, for my $, are more than offset by his iq. If Omar's J is alive, if prefer he get more minutes at Rodney's expense.

They will both have plenty of time for tick, but please. "speed is no good if you don't use it to exploit the defense"? what the hell are you talking about, purvis looked like sonic the hedgehog out there. and he is getting better and better. You've seen omar have a good game now your ready to throw rp under the bus, foh. if theres a toss up at the end of a game and we are still big up front purvis is getting those minutes. Having a good sixth man is NEEDED ALSO, its not just about starting.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
They will both have plenty of time for tick, but please. "speed is no good if you don't use it to exploit the defense"? what the hell are you talking about, purvis looked like sonic the hedgehog out there. and he is getting better and better. You've seen omar have a good game now your ready to throw rp under the bus, foh. if theres a toss up at the end of a game and we are still big up front purvis is getting those minutes. Having a good sixth man is NEEDED ALSO, its not just about starting.

I mean exactly what I wrote in the above post. Rodney is a fast player reacting painfully slow. His touches in the half court more frequently allow the defense to get back "on balance" vs. moving the ball quickly to continue the momentum built earlier in the set. Rodney hit some huge NBA deep set shots. Lord knows we need them. He finishes really well in the open court. Lord knows we need that. But my original point was that Omar is a better compliment to Boatright than Purvis is at this point. I'm not throwing Rodney under the bus by saying I prefer a guy with 3 years in the system who was nearly as highly rated coming out of highschool and has had similar success at this level (a competitive freshman year).

Reaction Score
I mean exactly what I wrote in the above post. Rodney is a fast player reacting painfully slow. His touches in the half court more frequently allow the defense to get back "on balance" vs. moving the ball quickly to continue the momentum built earlier in the set. Rodney hit some huge NBA deep set shots. Lord knows we need them. He finishes really well in the open court. Lord knows we need that. But my original point was that Omar is a better compliment to Boatright than Purvis is at this point. I'm not throwing Rodney under the bus by saying I prefer a guy with 3 years in the system who was nearly as highly rated coming out of highschool and has had similar success at this level (a competitive freshman year).

What i'm saying is purvis gets open EASIER than calhoun. if you run purvis baseline off staggers he will pop up and be wide open for a three ball or direct driving lane. That spaces the lane when the big has the hedge since ferrari is turboing off a screen. He is gonna get a slough of 3pt opporunities as the year progresses and we need that. fundementally he is damn near elite at catch and shoot. He is also the fastest player on the court whenever and whoever he plays. He can be a key cog in our offense.

I agree that omar is a more CREATIVE offensive prospect, he has a lot of tools in the mid range, and he also mixes it up more on the glass. We need that too.

honestly there is no argument, just excitment on my part. I was so down on both of those guys earlier in the year, but this new found continuity/confidence brings a whole new dimension to the team. Both need to improve passing. next BIG test is @ stanford.

Reaction Score
One good game from both, same game gives us reason for hope. I think Omar looks real comfortable coming off the bench and proved it yesterday. Let's leave that alone and ride the momentum. If they both start to get better you will see them in there together much more because they will open the floor. A healthy Boat with those guys shooting well will rip it up going to the hoop that's for sure.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I like OC off the bench. If he continues at the pace he's currently on, he could be this team's Vinny Johnson.

H

huskymagic

Oka everything you said about Purvis and Omar is spot on. James and others on here are getting worked up about the 3 threes Rodney hit which were big and shows he has important value to the team as a spot up shooter to create space for guys to drive, but Omar is the more complete player right now with everything he does and complements Boatright and the team much better. Omar's play is taking much needed pressure off of Hamilton and Purvis who can now play with less pressure on them. Purvis being benched would probably "demoralize" him and hurt his confidence. Omar and T-Sam might take a lot of minutes from minutes from both Hamilton and Purvis if they don't play smarter and handle the ball better. It's a good problem to have for sure, and Omar will play about 25 minutes a game regardless moving forward.

Reaction Score
Oka everything you said about Purvis and Omar is spot on. James and others on here are getting worked up about the 3 threes Rodney hit which were big and shows he has important value to the team as a spot up shooter to create space for guys to drive, but Omar is the more complete player right now with everything he does and complements Boatright and the team much better. Omar's play is taking much needed pressure off of Hamilton and Purvis who can now play with less pressure on them. Purvis being benched would probably "demoralize" him and hurt his confidence. Omar and T-Sam might take a lot of minutes from minutes from both Hamilton and Purvis if they don't play smarter and handle the ball better. It's a good problem to have for sure, and Omar will play about 25 minutes a game regardless moving forward.

Ollie is going to go with the player's who have the most potential to grow as assets.

He's not going to be taking time from the players who are playing the best right now.

He showed this last year when he stuck with Daniels even through some miserable games. He stuck with Calhoun for 2/3rds of the season.

I think Hamilton especially has a lot to offer, and his minutes are not going to decline precipitously.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Ollie is going to go with the player's who have the most potential to grow as assets.

He's not going to be taking time from the players who are playing the best right now.

He showed this last year when he stuck with Daniels even through some miserable games. He stuck with Calhoun for 2/3rds of the season.

I think Hamilton especially has a lot to offer, and his minutes are not going to decline precipitously.

I think it will be much more about matchups defensively than anything else through the next 1/3rd of the season. If teams go small against us we'll run D Ham at the 4 as we did with my favorite lineup against Florida (Boat, Terrence, Omar, Hamilton, Brimah).

If team's are pressuring full court, more minutes for Terrence.

If we're struggling to score points in a slow down game, I think you might see more Omar.

We're getting more flexible, and that's a great thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom