Star Wars --- The Prophecy | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Star Wars --- The Prophecy

Reaction Score
Got tickets at the AMC in Plainville and you get to choose your seats. Pretty sweet because we don't need to get there insanely early. As it is my wife is going begrudgingly and told me she wouldn't wait in lines. So Saturday afternoon I'll be seeing it. Have stayed away from anything Star Wars related on the internet to avoid spoilers. Have heard it's awesome though from others who read reviews.

Already converted my 3 year onld who saw the cover of Rolling Stones with Chewie and Han on it and said, "Look Dad, a Wookie!!" I have never used that word around her. I hugged her and made her repeat it to my wife who just rolled her eyes!

My wife hates Star Wars and sci-fi in general. Unforgettably for her, both of her sons and her husband are big time into it. Glad the movie is finally coming out today because she is very close to losing it. Of course, I did make her cry over the summer when I told her there is going to be a new Star Wars movie coming out beginning this December (today!!!) every year for the next 5 or 6 years (3 new 'main' movies every other year and 2 or 3 anthology movie in between starting with Rouge One next Christmas).

I was reading the spoilers/rumors up until 2 or 3 month ago; but, then stopped. I want to be surprised and enjoy it. Going tonight at 7 with my two kids and plan to again in a week or two and catch the IMAX version here in NYC.

Reaction Score
I also do think that 2 and 3 add some depth and shading to the characters of the OT. I mean, Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan is pretty good despite lines like "I have the higher ground" and "even the younglings." And Ian McDiarmid is loads of fun as the Emperor.

Also, while most people didn't like the difference in aesthetics (me included), I do think, in retrospect, the change from 3 to 4 shows us something about the Empire, and gives us greater context for the universe. Similarly, upon rewatching the films Anakin's fall isn't nearly as quick or forced as I initially thought, and it does add a little bit of depth to Vader, particularly in Jedi.

None of it was ultimately necessary, and I can do without the future Darth Vader complaining about sand, but seeing it again with fresher eyes has made me appreciate it a little more, and (hopefully) will also make me like TFA by contrast.

I've always felt that 2 was the worst of the prequels by a wide margin. Awful dialogue by generally awful actors throughout (with the exception of McGregor and McDermid). If you take JarJar and the pod race out of Episode I, it's the truest to the Star Wars formula.

Reaction Score
I've always felt that 2 was the worst of the prequels by a wide margin. Awful dialogue by generally awful actors throughout (with the exception of McGregor and McDermid). If you take JarJar and the pod race out of Episode I, it's the truest to the Star Wars formula.
Fair enough. I actually like that AotC tries something a little different, and I like the Kenobi as detective thing it has going.

There's a lot more "what if" with the movie than the others, though, because Christopher Lee should be more menacing, and we should get a little more of him, but maybe with fewer political things.

While I enjoy the Kenobi stuff, and the end, the Padmé/Anakin stuff is just brutal, yet the whole scene with the sand people at least makes sense, and his motivations are somewhat interesting there. But I guess I'm sort of okay with a moody, poorly written, teenage Darth Vader than I am a young, "Yipee!" yelling child one. The second has potential.

If I were ranking, it goes:

1. Empire
2. Star Wars
- Gap -
3. Jedi
4. Sith
- Gap -
5. Clones
- Big gap -
6. Menace

Here's hoping Force Awakens at least fits between my third and fourth ranked, and maybe pushes itself into that top echelon.

Reaction Score
I hope we are going to have a moratorium on spoilers until at least a week has passed. I can't get to the show the first few nights and want to be completely virgin for the the screening.

I'm going to leave random spoilers all over the BY. You'll never know where to expect them either. Indeed the safest place might be the Entertainment Board. ;)

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I'm going to leave random spoilers all over the BY. You'll never know where to expect them either. Indeed the safest place might be the Entertainment Board. ;)

Welcome to my ignore list.
Was supposed to go tonight but had to take a gig for some extra holiday cash. Can't stand that I'm not going now. ( I early gifted my tix for my daughter and me to my brother and my nephew, at least some shopping got done)

Reaction Score
Was supposed to go tonight but had to take a gig for some extra holiday cash. Can't stand that I'm not going now. ( I early gifted my tix for my daughter and me to my brother and my nephew, at least some shopping got done)

The weekend will be here soon. I actually wouldn't mind waiting. Stayed home sick the past 2 days myself. But I will drag myself out of bed and infect the general population if I have to . . . .

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

!

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Gave your daughters ticket away...smh. Merry Christmas kid! Hahahhah

intlzncster

Reaction Score
There's a lot more "what if" with the movie than the others, though, because Christopher Lee should be more menacing, and we should get a little more of him, but maybe with fewer political things.

While I enjoy the Kenobi stuff, and the end, the Padmé/Anakin stuff is just brutal, yet the whole scene with the sand people at least makes sense, and his motivations are somewhat interesting there. But I guess I'm sort of okay with a moody, poorly written, teenage Darth Vader than I am a young, "Yipee!" yelling child one. The second has potential.

As I said above, casting and writing for those two was atrocious. Ridiculously done. Portman was good casting as Padme, but the writing made her impact ineffectual. And Hayden was a dumpster fire. The writing was cringe worthy.

I'm one of the few who enjoyed the political aspect, if only because it provides context to the earlier (original) films. It could have been less convoluted and better done, but nothing wrong with the subject matter.

August_West

Reaction Score
Gave your daughters ticket away...smh. Merry Christmas kid! Hahahhah
:)

eh. She didnt/doesnt care. She was going to go with me because my wife bagged out. My daughter is only cursory interested in Star Wars. Trust me, my daughter will like the 4 days surfing in Costa Rica in March (her "big" present this year) much more than Star Wars. I will probably end up going alone sometime in the next week. Probably better that way anyway.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

eh. She didnt/doesnt care. She was going to go with me because my wife bagged out. My daughter is only cursory interested in Star Wars. Trust me, my daughter will like the 4 days surfing in Costa Rica in March (her "big" present this year) much more than Star Wars. I will probably end up going alone sometime in the next week. Probably better that way anyway.

As a lifelong surfer, and having been there before, I will gladly guide your daughter around Costa Rica. Just early Christmas gift me your ticket.

Reaction Score
As I said above, casting and writing for those two was atrocious. Ridiculously done. Portman was good casting as Padme, but the writing made her impact ineffectual. And Hayden was a dumpster fire. The writing was cringe worthy.

I'm one of the few who enjoyed the political aspect, if only because it provides context to the earlier (original) films. It could have been less convoluted and better done, but nothing wrong with the subject matter.
I actually didn't hate the political parts, they just weren't particularly well done. But the idea that the Empire came naturally from the Republic was actually smart, and having Palpatine manipulate the system--and Anakin--the way he did was also quite pretty well done. Especially if you just decide you believe he telekinetically killed Padmé (the only thing that allows me accept that part).

What's weird about Portman and Christiansen is that neither are bad actors, but the writing makes them look it. Lucas's writing was way too stilted, and he decided--for some reason--that every emotion not said allowed wouldn't be understood by the audience. If he had let there be some actual subtlety, it would have deepened so much.

Watching the films again, it feels like they could have abandoned Phantom Menace, told the Clone Wars story for the three movies, and focused on one or two villains aside from Palpatine and been pretty okay. Oh well.

Wish I were seeing the film tonight. Have to wait until Monday.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I actually didn't hate the political parts, they just weren't particularly well done. But the idea that the Empire came naturally from the Republic was actually smart, and having Palpatine manipulate the system--and Anakin--the way he did was also quite pretty well done. Especially if you just decide you believe he telekinetically killed Padmé (the only thing that allows me accept that part).

What's weird about Portman and Christiansen is that neither are bad actors, but the writing makes them look it. Lucas's writing was way too stilted, and he decided--for some reason--that every emotion not said allowed wouldn't be understood by the audience. If he had let there be some actual subtlety, it would have deepened so much.

Watching the films again, it feels like they could have abandoned Phantom Menace, told the Clone Wars story for the three movies, and focused on one or two villains aside from Palpatine and been pretty okay. Oh well.

+1 on the Bold. But I'm just not into with the way the Padme thing went down. Not well done there. Christiansen may not be a bad actor (I've no opinion there), but I don't think he was right for the role. He definitely had the right look, a mix between youthful optimism and dark and brooding, but he was just too wooden for me. And the writing crushed him. Totally needed Shia LeBeouf there.

Somebody said this somewhere (possibly in the thread), but three movies of Anakin as a teenager going through the transformative process would have been way more powerful than young Ani. Young Ani could have been done in a 10 minute flash back/forward and been enough.

jk on shia. A guy like Landon Liboiron would have been decent. The guy who plays Luke doesn't have to be ridiculously good looking. Hamill was an average every man type, and I think that works for Luke. Richard Harmon has the acting chops, but not quite the right look.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I saw a commercial yesterday for KB Toys or something advertising light sabers. An 8-year old girl picks one off the rack, lights it up, and the goofy dad gets excited and says "I am you father." I really related . . . .

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I saw a commercial yesterday for KB Toys or something advertising light sabers. An 8-year old girl picks one off the rack, lights it up, and the goofy dad gets excited and says "I am you father." I really related . . . .

KB Toys....that belongs in the Hard Rock thread. Right next to Caldor/Bradlees. Although I guess it's still around?

Reaction Score
But I'm just not into with the way the Padme thing went down. Not well done there. Christiansen may not be a bad actor (I've no opinion there), but I don't think he was right for the role. He definitely had the right look, a mix between youthful optimism and dark and brooding, but he was just too wooden for me. And the writing crushed him.
Yeah, Christensen wasn't good, but I do wonder how much of it is just the writing and the directing. At times Neeson and McGregor were wooden...

I know McGregor is game to come back into the series, and there have been rumors that Christensen has been getting ready to reprise Anakin (maybe a flashback?). But, given the forthcoming Anthology flicks, they might be able to rectify the prequels a bit if they did a non-Saga adventure story with the two of them...you know, actually show them as friends and doing awesome things...

August_West

Reaction Score
Mine is a freshman in high school. If she currently had a boyfriend who was into it, she'd be into. Sadly her boyfriend is a diehard Pats fan and one of the great tragedies of my life is a couple mondays ago she asked me to turn on the Pats game at night. A part of me died that day. Even my wife who really doesnt care about sports said to her: "You cant ask that, this is a Jets house, honey".

Reaction Score
Mine is a freshman in high school. If she currently had a boyfriend who was into it, she'd be into. Sadly her boyfriend is a diehard Pats fan and one of the great tragedies of my life is a couple mondays ago she asked me to turn on the Pats game at night. A part of me died that day. Even my wife who really doesnt care about sports said to her: "You cant ask that, this is a Jets house, honey".

I hate him. Your daughter is too good for him. Next time he comes over, make sure you're cleaning a big arse gun.

August_West

Reaction Score
I hate him. Your daughter is too good for him. Next time he comes over, make sure you're cleaning a big arse gun.
hes a sniveling little jerk. (aka a typical Pats fan :) Hes not allowed over. Well, he is, but they are not allowed in her bedroom alone together (which my daughter thinks is totally unreasonable) so then he never comes over because of that rule. embrace this time with your daughter at star wars. Cherish it. And while enjoying the movie with your daughter think of me figuring out daily ways to block dick pics (which ALL the boys send to ALL the girls). My daughter is not even 15 yet and boys send her pictures of their packages. And its thought of as NORMAL in todays day.

This world sucks.

Reaction Score
hes a sniveling little jerk. (aka a typical Pats fan :) Hes not allowed over. Well, he is, but they are not allowed in her bedroom alone together (which my daughter thinks is totally unreasonable) so then he never comes over because of that rule. embrace this time with your daughter at star wars. Cherish it. And while enjoying the movie with your daughter think of me figuring out daily ways to block dick pics (which ALL the boys send to ALL the girls). My daughter is not even 15 yet and boys send her pictures of their packages. And its thought of as NORMAL in todays day.

This world sucks.

I really, really hate him. Seriously. Let's sue him for something. I will do it for free.

P.s. No cell phone for my daughter until she joins a nunnery. Or whatever the Jewish equivalent is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom