Stanford | The Boneyard

Stanford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What do we know about them in terms of the matchup tomorrow night? In looking at their schedule, they lost at home to BYU in a shootout, and in Brooklyn against Pittsburgh in a blowout. Beat Houston by 10 in New York, and haven't played anyone else of significance.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
What do we know about them in terms of the matchup tomorrow night? In looking at their schedule, they lost at home to BYU in a shootout, and in Brooklyn against Pittsburgh in a blowout. Beat Houston by 10 in New York, and haven't played anyone else of significance.
They are one of the most experienced teams in college basketball and have a good deal of size. I think this is our 2nd biggest challenge after Fla so far this year. We can't start slow out of exam break or be thinking about going home for Christmas or we could easily get bit.

Reaction Score
They are one of the most experienced teams in college basketball and have a good deal of size. I think this is our 2nd biggest challenge after Fla so far this year. We can't start slow out of exam break or be thinking about going home for Christmas or we could easily get bit.

If indeed they are one of the most experienced teams in the country, and those are their results, then they clearly have a limited ceiling.

I feel good about this one.

Then again, I feel good about every single one with Shabazz leading the way

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
If indeed they are one of the most experienced teams in the country, and those are their results, then they clearly have a limited ceiling.

I feel good about this one.

Then again, I feel good about every single one with Shabazz leading the way
Their results aren't terrible. I think Pitt has one of Dixon's best teams in years and BYU can fill it up. They've won the rest of their games comfortably. They shoot the ball well (top 20 eFG) and they force more turnovers than they commit. They are an avg rebounding team. I think they have a very similar profile to us actually. I think we win another nailbiter.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/teams/compare?t1-season=2013-2014&t1=stanford&t2=connecticut

Reaction Score
They're a good team. We'll be favored, but we could have some trouble with their size. They're certainly comparable to, and in some cases better than, the three teams we've narrowly beaten on neutral courts this year.

Reaction Score
Powell concerns me the most, he can play inside/out like DD but he has about 30lbs on DD so I'd imagine he's going to try to take him into the post.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
They're a good team. We'll be favored, but we could have some trouble with their size. They're certainly comparable to, and in some cases better than, the three teams we've narrowly beaten on neutral courts this year.

In all cases but florida they are better than the teams we've beaten thus far (IMO).

Here is the offensive comparison vs us and all of our other top matchups so far this year. They are by far the best shooting team we've played so far and they get to the line alot. They clean up the defensive glass well.

Here is the defensive comparison.

Points per Possession delta's by team:

Uconn - .2
Stanford - .14
Maryland - .11
BC - (.04) That's negative!
IU - .2
Florida - .06

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Here are the kenpom ratings and pure stat ranks for teams we've played in so far and future matchups.

StatRanksTeams.jpg

Reaction Score
Is Harvard legit this year, top-25 caliber?

This is exactly the sort of team we should be looking to schedule in the non-conference. A hot mid-major who can buoy our SOS. I'd love to see more teams like this, or Butler, VCU, Xavier, George Washington, instead of the Maines and BUs of the world.

I think JC got somewhat lucky in that when he initially scheduled Harvard, he did so thinking they were just any old cupcake, when they've actually developed into a very respectable program.

Reaction Score
Washington scares me more than Stanford I will say having seen them both.........

they played SDSU very well in their building and SDSU is a good team. going all the way to the west coast, last game before the team breaks up for the holiday, that will not be an easy game.

Reaction Score

This is exactly the sort of team we should be looking to schedule in the non-conference. A hot mid-major who can buoy our SOS. I'd love to see more teams like this, or Butler, VCU, Xavier, George Washington, instead of the Maines and BUs of the world.

I think JC got somewhat lucky in that when he initially scheduled Harvard, he did so thinking they were just any old cupcake, when they've actually developed into a very respectable program.

BU will be at the top of their conference. Never underestimate the important of wins and losses. Butler, on the other hand, could end up with a losing season. BU has played a tough schedule so far, so their opp. opp. % will be pretty good. Butler of course is in a much tougher league so there's will be good too. But here's where RPI fails. The strength of Butler's league will be offset by BU's likely better record.

Reaction Score

there's a pretty sizeable gap between Maine and BU, that's a team with the talent to win the Patriot League, which is a respectable low/mid major conference. UConn has been playing Harvard every year since they had Lin in the 09-10 season and they have been a contender or favorite in the Ivy League every year they've played, they knew what kind of program they were facing when this game became a regular thing.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I still remember that thunderous Lin dunk at Gampel. Who would've ever thought Linsanity would've happened?

Reaction Score
Per ESPN: Stanford does give up 36% from three which puts them in the bottom 100 of the nation.

Will be interested to see their strategy to handle going aginst one of the best long ball shooting teams out there. If Stanford plays zone due to a lack of team speed, a statistically average shooting night might be all UConn needs. UConn needs more of OC, NG, and DD busting zones by setting up at the free throw line and forcing teams into a decision.

Reaction Score
Wish this game was on campus and not at XL- I would feel much better about it.

DOOMED!!!

Reaction Score
Dom Amore ‏@AmoreCourant 32s
Kevin Ollie "it's going to be our speed against (Stanford) size. If we get in wrestling match, we'll lose" #uconnmen

Per ESPN: Stanford does give up 36% from three which puts them in the bottom 100 of the nation.

Will be interested to see their strategy to handle going aginst one of the best long ball shooting teams out there. If Stanford plays zone due to a lack of team speed, a statistically average shooting night might be all UConn needs. UConn needs more of OC, NG, and DD busting zones by setting up at the free throw line and forcing teams into a decision.

Then let's go small and make them keep up with our quickness and our shooters. This could be the inverse of all those games from 2006-2010 where we were victimized by being too big and slow up front and unable to deal with athletic 4's. DD could be in line for a monster game.

Reaction Score
All sabermetric gymnastics aside, they're a second tier team from a BCS conference, probably a bubble tournament team. If this UConn team has the ceiling that some of you think it does, they should handle a team like this. I would love to see them come out and dominate this game wire to wire.

If I had to guess, I'd say they come out flat, eventually build up a working margin, and then give it all back down the stretch to hold on for a close win that has half the board saying "Just get the W!" and the other half despondent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom