Stanford | The Boneyard

Stanford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am so glad I am off to watch the game next week. My prediction is Uconn by 8 or 9 on Stanfords home court. It will be very physical and I do not expect a blowout either way. UCONN will grow alot from this game and start clicking on all cylinders. I love this team and see us getting so much better by the end of the year.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Tara is a great coach but I think Stanford lacks depth. Stanford had problems againest South Carolina with pressure defense. I think againest UConn it will be alot of the same. This is the only game this season that concerns me. I am concerned that UConn will get in early foul trouble. If they dont its going to take everything they have to stay close. UConn is too quick and too deep and dosnt let up. Dont forget in many of UConns blowouts Geno pulled the top 7-8 players, call off the press, went to a zone and worked on things. That wont happen againest Stanford unless UConn has a huge lead. The fact that Stokes, and Tuck are hurt and most likely wont play againest Stanford and MJ only got a few minutes today makes me think UConn has 7 Players who will see action againest Stanford. Maybe 8 if MJ is healthly.

I dont think UConn loses the game. I dont think Stanford will lose by less then 10. With a short bench foul trouble is the major concern. We cant have Steph and Breanna in foul trouble especially early. On the other side Stanford can not have Chiney in foul trouble. I do expect Geno to double down on her which will make it very difficult for Stanford to establish their inside game. If that mission is accomplished Stanford will have a long night. As good as Chiney is and she is very talented some body else is going to have to have a good night for Stanford to hang with UConn.

Im hoping Kiah and Morgan are able to get some minutes, even if its the last minute or two in the first half.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think a lot depends on the health of UCONN. Kiah is doubtful and i'm not sure if Morgan will be back. Also, Jefferson left the game early today and never returned. Depth could be a big problem for UCONN.

If we are healthy, I'd say we win by 15-20. if we are unable to put Stokes, Jefferson, or Tuck on the court, I'd say it's more like a 5-10 point win. And Banks needs to have a game more similar to Oakland than Hartford.

Reaction Score
I just don't see this as a huge win for UConn, no matter how many players they get back before the game. A win maybe,, but like Tony, I'm really concerned about fouls, especially if the front line is depleted. All it too was Stef and Breanna getting some fouls today to make me think about what happens if that occurs vs. Stanford.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I just don't see this as a huge win for UConn, no matter how many players they get back before the game. A win maybe,, but like Tony, I'm really concerned about fouls, especially if the front line is depleted. All it too was Stef and Breanna getting some fouls today to make me think about what happens if that occurs vs. Stanford.

Who saw this as a huge win? That being said, Hartford is a much better team than Oakland and UConn beat them just as badly. I prefer to take the positives out these games.

I understand how seeing Dolson and Stewart in foul trouble (although they both still played 28 and 25 minutes each) might make you think about how much trouble that would be for UConn.

If it helps any, Dolson has only 14 fouls and Stewart 21 for the entire season.

My math is usually fuzzy, but I beleive that means that Dolson averages 1.4 fouls per game and Stewart averages 2.1 fouls per game.

Hmmm......guess I won't be worring about foul trouble based on one game.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
As an outsider, I see this as a great measuring stick for UConn.

Stanford is definitely good enough to challenge for the final 4, and the same for UConn.

On paper and history, I would favor UConn in the matchup, although I find Stanford's style of play intriguing. They play extremely smart and disciplined basketball, if Geno gets his troops to do the same this could be one of the great games of the year.

I wouldn't expect a foul fest, but if it becomes one, yuck.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Who saw this as a huge win? That being said, Hartford is a much better team than Oakland and UConn beat them just as badly. I prefer to take the positives out these games.

I understand how seeing Dolson and Stewart in foul trouble (although they both still played 28 and 25 minutes each) might make you think about how much trouble that would be for UConn.

My math is usually fuzzy, but I beleive that means that Dolson averages 1.4 fouls per game and Stewart averages 2.1 fouls per game.

Hmmm......guess I won't be worring about foul trouble based on one game.
What makes me worry about fouls is the venue, especially if the officials are unfavorably disposed vs. UConn.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
What makes me worry about fouls is the venue, especially if the officials are unfavorably disposed vs. UConn.
I doubt that the unfavorably disposed would be a factor. Rather, PAC12 fouls are just different from BE fouls (true of most conferences). On limited viewing (we only have been to a couple of UofA games), scrums are ok but touch fouls not. Also, interior post fouls just don't look the same, but I don't have a handle on it.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I doubt that the unfavorably disposed would be a factor. Rather, PAC12 fouls are just different from BE fouls (true of most conferences). On limited viewing (we only have been to a couple of UofA games), scrums are ok but touch fouls not. Also, interior post fouls just don't look the same, but I don't have a handle on it.
OK, but we don't know if the officials will be from the Pac 12. Contracts between schools frequently specify that game officials will be from neutral conferences or sometimes even from the visiting team's conference.

Reaction Score
OK, but we don't know if the officials will be from the Pac 12. Contracts between schools frequently specify that game officials will be from neutral conferences or sometimes even from the visiting team's conference.

There really aren't conference officials, but rather regional officials. Many Pac 12 refs also do Big 12. Our game will have refs with national and F4 experience. I'd bet a lot of money we will get Michael Price and/or Melissa Barlow.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
There really aren't conference officials, but rather regional officials. Many Pac 12 refs also do Big 12. Our game will have refs with national and F4 experience. I'd bet a lot of money we will get Michael Price and/or Melissa Barlow, or both.
And/or Dee Kantner.

Last time at Maples Maya got mugged all night and Stef was in early foul trouble as I recall. Having said that, Maples is one tough place to play.

Reaction Score
And/or Dee Kantner.

Last time at Maples Maya got mugged all night and Stef was in early foul trouble as I recall. Having said that, Maples is one tough place to play.

Geno said yesterday he thought Maples was the toughest place to play in the country. :) Thought that was cool. We don't have the bouncy anymore, but the capacity of just below 7,400 seats, with bleachers close to the court, make it very loud and intimidating place to play. Since Tara arrived at Stanford (1995/86), we are 383-32 at Maples, and 12 of the losses were in the first three years. The 82 game home winning streak is at stake on Dec. 29th. Can't wait.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Sagarin has UConn in a squeaker, 3-4 points. That sounds OK to me. If UConn wins it will be a huge win for UConn.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
And/or Dee Kantner.

This is what I fear at Maples. I only hope.

Reaction Score

Hmmm......guess I won't be worrying about foul trouble based on one game.
Well, I wouldn't either, especially because the only thing Hartford and Stanford have in common is the ford. BUT, consider the venue and the possibility of a home crowd influencing the zebras and the fact that UConn may be without two frontcourt players. Against Hartford, being with Morgan and Kiah is n.b.d. Against Stanford, it could be a major problem if one of the bigs gets into foul trouble. And don't think Stanford won't try to provoke fouls.

Reaction Score
I meant we don't have bouncy floor anymore.

The officials for the game at Maples 2 years ago were: Price, Barlow and Brenda Pantoja. Given this is the first game for both teams after the holiday break, I suspect the game may take a while to get into a good flow. I hope the refs are not whistle happy (Price can be), but I hope it isn't too rough either.

Here is '10 game recap, including quotes about the physicality of the game.

http://www.gostanford.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/123010aaa.html

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Well, I wouldn't either, especially because the only thing Hartford and Stanford have in common is the ford. BUT, consider the venue and the possibility of a home crowd influencing the zebras and the fact that UConn may be without two frontcourt players. Against Hartford, being with Morgan and Kiah is n.b.d. Against Stanford, it could be a major problem if one of the bigs gets into foul trouble. And don't think Stanford won't try to provoke fouls.

Ford......lol...good one!

Basically Stanford will go 7 deep if everyone is healthy.

Ogwumike - 6'3"
Tinkle - 6'3"
Ruef - 6'3"

That is the starting front line. Oqwumike is a handful, but I've seen enough of Tinkle and Ruef to know they won't be provoking fouls on Uconn's bigs.

They sub for Ruef and Tinkle with Samuelson and Greenfield, two 6'3" forwards. They are mostly outside threats and probably won't see more than 10 minutes each at the most.

CO can draw fouls. She is going to be tough to defend. Not as worried about fouls being drawn by the other bigs.

Reaction Score
How likely is that? For Ruef?

It would help when I write my game analysis. Help me out!!

Probably not likely. Ruef has been starting instead of Greenfield. I initially thought Tara may want to get some 3s with Greenfield, but Ruef boards better. Go with Ruef.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Two other ref's that I wouldn't be shocked to see are Bob Scofield or Clarke Stephens. I'm in on Barlow, and Price is a good bet.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Probably not likely. Ruef has been starting instead of Greenfield. I initially thought Tara may want to get some 3s with Greenfield, but Ruef boards better. Go with Ruef.

Thanks. It will be interesting to see if Geno starts Stewart again and brings Doty off the bench.

Not sure he wants 6' Lewis and 5'11" Faris going against 6'3 and 6'3".

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Thanks. It will be interesting to see if Geno starts Stewart again and brings Doty off the bench.

Not sure he wants 6' Lewis and 5'11" Faris going against 6'3 and 6'3".
My guess is he sticks with Doty starting and subs in Breanna no later than the 5 minute mark. He can bring Breanna in sooner if he sees a rebounding problem.. Tara will be concerned with the ability of her bigs to defend on the perimeter, because I think Geno will try to make the game a perimeter oriented game.

Reaction Score
If the game is fairly reffed we will win by more than 10 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom