Stanford Postgame Thread | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Stanford Postgame Thread

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Desipte room, CW shot 3/13 and 2/6. The 2 of 6 is deceptive becuase one more hit is 50%. She needs to knock down the open shot and we know she can becuase she played very well down the stretch. I am hoping those 2 big FTs she hit will increase her confidence.

EDIT: Oh, and more Nika!!!
The 2 of 6 is especially deceptive because of when they happened. The second three, especially, was a dagger. She’s been doing that a lot in the pos season

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The story being written is called how to overcome Bonehead plays co authored by Aalyia Edwards and Evina Westbrook. Every Bonehead play was offset by a really good play.
But y'know, everyone had Boneheads plays. Paige had 2 in a row! But everyone had more great plays.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't think Geno's getting enough love for last night. He managed the minutes great, kept everyone in the game, was one step ahead of Stamford tactically the entire game. And he kept crazy Geno to a minimum, even with the poor whistle we were getting in the 1st half. I liked the exchange early where he just gave the ref the low wave.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
First time seeing her. She looks like a special player going forward (only a freshmen, I think). Luckily, Geno and the coaches do their homework. After Prechtel came into the game and immediately hit a 3 (rather effortlessly), Geno called a time-out. Geno is very selective when to call a time-out. I got the sense, it was to adjust his team for Prechtel's presence. Afterwards, Stanford looked a bit disjointed on offense as UConn was doing a good job countering whatever Tara had planned.
Prechtel's minutes per game peaked last year with 14.2 and dropped to 9.4 this year - she is a 6'5" junior. Her 3 point shooting also peaked last year at 37.1% and dropped this year to 27.9%. I don't see enough Stanford games to know why she hasn't gotten more minutes, but suspect it may be her defense. That said, she was a huge part of the team winning the NC last year - I think specifically in the semi-final.

Reaction Score
Will this game be re-broadcast? I lost cable/power at the beginning of the third quarter, some idiot took out a pole in a neighboring town :mad::mad::mad::mad:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You seem to have answered your own question, IMO it was a risky pass to begin with, the Stanford players especially the player going into the paint area made Evina throw the pass further under the basket and frankly I don't know if it would have been an uncontested layup. With 30 seconds left and UConn with 27 seconds on clock, the best Evina could have done there was to just pull it back or keep dribbling under the basket and back out until they foul her. Regardless it worked out in the end. View attachment 75183
Not any Stanford player, but a 6'5" Prechtel racing into the paint. It was a situation reminiscent of the lay-up in the last game, but with much more time on the clock and a 4 point lead. Much better to pull back and take the seconds off the clock than make that pass. A simple pass back to Paige after she crossed half court with all the Stanford players running to the paint would have been better and eventually led to free throws and Stanford once 'organized would have had to foul.

Reaction Score
Good point - Uconn fans seem to see disrespect around every corner and let nothing go. in 1996 there was tension between Geno and Tara, but it was really about outside factors - Tara was annoyed with USA basketball for saddling her USA senior team with Lobo fresh out of college and didn't play her, and Geno was annoyed for Lobo not getting minutes over the older centers/forwards. Geno and Tara buried that dispute decades ago, but fans have long memories.

I get tired of the: losing coach didn't praise Uconn enough, didn't chat in the handshake line, forgot to mention ______ Uconn player, didn't smaile enough, etc.

This Uconn video shows a very cordial greeting between the two coaches at the start of the game - after the game and in the interviews is mostly about your own team.

Couldn’t agree more. The crap these people manufacture out of comments made after a high level competition are just ridiculous. There wasn’t anything in VanDerver’s comments that was remotely disrespectful to UConn at all. They just twist them for their own purposes. These coaches are competitors after a tough game, not fanboys sitting in their dens.

Reaction Score
My TV malfunctions as well; an old Samsung plasma I otherwise love. Shows UConn committing fouls and missing open shots all the time. I've fiddled with the settings and just can't get it right.
Replay of Bird/Taurasi commentating on ESPNU Sunday 1:30 PM. Otherwise it may get posted on the board.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
In the many years of watching them coach, never heard one say a negative word about the other.
1648917926215.jpeg

Reaction Score
You do know that Stanford is saying the same thing about their own play right now?
yeah but they are wrong...:) just kidding. what i mean is the last 2 -3 minutes, we made some serious bonehead errors that cost us a ten point win. out of bounds fiasco, poor passing and inability to do anything against the press, just to name a few. two of these are unforced and the third was just silly but ok, the length of stanford had something to do with it as well. i think i am forgetting one, but somebody will remind me.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Surprised about the cold, no-look postgame handshake between Geno and Tara, after 35-plus years of being at the top of NCAA WBB coaching. Any thoughts?
Their pregame sideline handshake was much more cordial even with smiling. I think after the game it was more like Stanford wanted to leave asap and let the Huskies have their well deserved spotlight.

Reaction Score
She uncharacteristically made one early in this game from top of circle, and that fooled her into thinking that she could continue to shoot from there
Wow, hookshot! That is quite a gift you've been given. I wonder why no one else picked up on that one?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom