Stanford Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

Stanford Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Stanford game:
  • It was 27 years ago today at the Target Center in Minneapolis that an upstart UConn team lead by their brash young coach whipped a powerful Stanford team by 27 points to advance to their 1st National Championship game. It was a little closer tonight, but history repeats itself as the Huskies took down the defending national champion Stanford Cardinal at the Target Center to advance to their 12th National Championship game.
  • This game was reminiscent of the 2010 national championship game between these same two teams. Just like that game, it was ugly at times tonight with a beautiful outcome for the UConn Huskies.
  • As both teams struggled to score at the start of the game, I had to wonder if anyone would make their shots. Evina really gave UConn a lift in the 2nd qtr, knocking down 3 treys, while playing tough post defense against Stanford’s Bigs.
  • In a grind it out game, for UConn to win, it had to come down to players making big plays. Paige made a bunch. Christyn hit some big 3’s. Liv, Aaliyah and Azzi chipped in with some big baskets and some huge offensive boards. Evina, Azzi, Christyn & Aaliyah with some monster FT's. Aaliyah gets a huge charging call on Jones. So many really, really, really big plays to secure this win.
  • Defense has been the calling card for UConn all season long. Tonight the Huskies had to dig down about as deep as I’ve ever seen to pull this one out.
  • The turnovers down the stretch by UConn caused enormous anxiety for all of us. But it's all about win and advance. Time for everyone to exhale.
  • Two #1’s down and one #1 to go as UConn has managed to navigate the most challenging road to the National Championship any WBB team has ever faced. SC has been the top team in WBB all season long, and they most certainly represent a monumental challenge for UConn. But this UConn team has persevered like no other. In my heart and soul I believe these Huskies will find a way to win banner #12 on Sunday night.

Reaction Score
Great game and great win... thank you for the last FTs for the win.

Screenshot (15).png

Reaction Score
I'm hoarse from screaming at the TV....Either the defense was great or the offense sucked, for both teams....Up and down, wow what a game. I thought Paige might wear herself out running around too much. We did turn the ball over a bit too much, but the team really did what they had to in order to win this game. Go UConn!!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
How did UConn win? Stanford loves their chin offense as much as UConn. But Tara loves to play split screens high and low. On those low splits she loves to curl off of them. UConn shut that spit down all game.. UConn shut down their perimeter offense by guarding the guards and wings tight and tough, and daring them to dribble drive. As I said in the chat, Jones will get hers. UConn needed to keep Brink off the boards, but as I said, eliminate her shooting or dribble driving off the weak side pinch post. They did. UConn killed them on the boards and made their FT's. Once again as in last game, they shot poorly from the arc, but it didn't matter. They looked like champions tonight.

Reaction Score
WOW. Congratulations to you all. If someone would’ve told me we’d hold UConn to 36% shooting, I would’ve been extremely pleased. That is, unless Stanford would shoot worse at 34%.

I said before the game I felt UConn matched up just fine and it surely was an ugly game but your team truly fought and clawed to win it. I hope you guys take care of business on Sunday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom