Stanford @ Oregon - 2/04/18 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Stanford @ Oregon - 2/04/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
I have stated earlier that Graves does not value defense. His focus is totally on offense. The problem is that when your shots are not falling and other teams shut you down your have no other options. Defense can keep you in a lot of games. Offense and defense can be a trade off. The thing is to recognize when each becomes a bigger priority. That is an ability that Graves seems to either lack or ignore.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I will have to look at their production in their four losses.

You're really onto something there. I think everyone for Baylor other than Brown had pretty low production in their loss against UCLA.

Reaction Score
5. California is a terrible team, and no idea how they have been ranked in the top25? Just shows me the pundits don't know what is going on in the PAC12.
Cal’a trip to final 4 is the reason(shouldn’t be) they are ranked. They have been overrated ever since that trip. I thought that effect should be worn off by now. Obviously it has not..

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I think OR scored the first 9, and I was thinking I might be watching a blowout. McPhee with 2 points in first half, then bam!!! She couldn't be stopped.

I think this puts a nail in the #1 seed coffin. I know the NCAA would like a west coast team, but this isn't it. At least Baylor is west of the Mississippi, so they can qualify as a team from the west.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I really like McPhee, she's a treat to watch. Having a really nice Sr. season. There's a bit of hyperbole going on here though. Nobody is going to win the conference POY award w/ 1 game, especially when there are 3 weeks left in the regular season and the conference title is very much up for grabs. Stanford has a very favorable schedule (hosting the Mountain schools, home and home w/ Cal, @ the Washington schools), but Oregon and UCLA are right there with them. And she's not even remotely in the conversation for best players to come out of the conference in the last decade. She's way down the pecking order of star players at her own school in that time frame.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
You're really onto something there. I think everyone for Baylor other than Brown had pretty low production in their loss against UCLA.

Especially Lauren Cox, who was in the hospital. And Mulkey, whose unborn grandchild had just died, did a horrible job coaching.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Especially Lauren Cox, who was in the hospital. And Mulkey, whose unborn grandchild had just died, did a horrible job coaching.

Work w/ me here. Any time a team loses, they probably have less production from most of their players than when they win. Oregon is 21-4 on the season. Are you going to use their 4 losses to try to "prove" they are a 2 person offense and ignore their 21 wins? I know Baylor had some tough circumstances they were dealing w/ for the UCLA game. It was only 1 game and obviously has mattered very little to their season on the whole.

And in case you try to go w/ "well Oregon has lost to all of the good teams they've played," I'll go ahead and head that off at the pass. 2 easy wins against Texas A&M, one neutral court and one on the road. UCLA on the road. Oregon St. and Arizona St. at home.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Work w/ me here. Any time a team loses, they probably have less production from most of their players than when they win. Oregon is 21-4 on the season. Are you going to use their 4 losses to try to "prove" they are a 2 person offense and ignore their 21 wins? I know Baylor had some tough circumstances they were dealing w/ for the UCLA game. It was only 1 game and obviously has mattered very little to their season on the whole.

And in case you try to go w/ "well Oregon has lost to all of the good teams they've played," I'll go ahead and head that off at the pass. 2 easy wins against Texas A&M, one neutral court and one on the road. UCLA on the road. Oregon St. and Arizona St. at home.

I’ll worry about Oregon if Baylor has to play them in the NCAA tourney. After their fourth loss they are no longer a threat to Baylor when it comes to seeding, unless Baylor lays some big eggs in conference play.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
McPhee was spectaclular today! She was feeling it!

Baylor is slowly moving up the seedlings. Unless the seeding continues to keep a 4 -loss Oregon team ahead of one-loss Baylor.
Amateur mistake to focus on raw number of losses. Two of Oregon's losses were against current #1 seeds. The best teams that Baylor has even played (UCLA and Texas) are both #3 seeds, and Baylor is 1-1 against them.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Silly me, I thought there was a conversation going on about whether or not Oregon has balanced scoring. Turns out it was just a subtext for a Baylor fan to yet again obsess about Baylor's seeding in the reveal, despite insisting they are not bothered by the reveals.

Reaction Score
Amateur mistake to focus on raw number of losses. Two of Oregon's losses were against current #1 seeds. The best teams that Baylor has even played (UCLA and Texas) are both #3 seeds, and Baylor is 1-1 against them.
You didn't mention the other Oregon's loss is to a #6 seed ?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
She made a good case, but I still think Ionescu is the frontrunner by a fairly healthy margin.
Talk about bizarre: I went to the PAC12 website to see stats and their only stats show ALL GAME STATS, and says the player must participate in 75%. McPhee missed 9 games but none in PAC12 so based on that, none of her stats will qualify as she will not meet the 36 games played by the team. Conference vs. all games should be considered separate. That said she’s at 16.74 pts in PAC12 games. Behind Sabrina’s 19 pts. I will modify and agree Sabrina is definitely the leader on the track but Nanny is coming up fast!

Plebe

Reaction Score
You didn't mention the other Oregon's loss is to a #6 seed ?
Extraneous to my point, which is that the raw number of losses says little to nothing.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Talk about bizarre: I went to the PAC12 website to see stats and their only stats show ALL GAME STATS, and says the player must participate in 75%. McPhee missed 9 games but none in PAC12 so based on that, none of her stats will qualify as she will not meet the 36 games played by the team. Conference vs. all games should be considered separate. That said she’s at 16.74 pts in PAC12 games. Behind Sabrina’s 19 pts. I will modify and agree Sabrina is definitely the leader on the track but Nanny is coming up fast!

That is bizarre. I would've thought conference awards were based mostly or entirely off of how players performed in conference games.

I think you have to go beyond just the scoring averages when comparing the 2 players. McPhee is a decent rebounder but well behind Ionescu and just not really a playmaker. Ionescu is leading the conference in scoring AND assists, you don't see that very often. Their overall FG% is similar, slight edge to Ionescu, but look at 3 point shooting--.469 compared to .295 in favor of Sabrina. Every single statistic is in favor of Ionescu. If the teams finished tied or within a game of each other, I just don't see how McPhee would win POY.

Reaction Score
That is bizarre. I would've thought conference awards were based mostly or entirely off of how players performed in conference games.

I think you have to go beyond just the scoring averages when comparing the 2 players. McPhee is a decent rebounder but well behind Ionescu and just not really a playmaker. Ionescu is leading the conference in scoring AND assists, you don't see that very often. Their overall FG% is similar, slight edge to Ionescu, but look at 3 point shooting--.469 compared to .295 in favor of Sabrina. Every single statistic is in favor of Ionescu. If the teams finished tied or within a game of each other, I just don't see how McPhee would win POY.

It’s not even close. I think people are just goofing around.

Reaction Score
I’ll worry about Oregon if Baylor has to play them in the NCAA tourney. After their fourth loss they are no longer a threat to Baylor when it comes to seeding, unless Baylor lays some big eggs in conference play.
You, and every other Baylor fan, will worry if Baylor has Oregon in their regional.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Nice win for Stanford. They have a pretty average record, but they have played a LOT of ranked teams this season.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Nice win for Stanford. They have a pretty average record, but they have played a LOT of ranked teams this season.
#4 nonconference SOS, #5 overall SOS.
Stanford now has 5 wins over the RPI top 50, and that's not even counting its win over Oregon St, which is also a quality win.
This weekend's road sweep over the Oregon schools puts Stanford in the conversation for a top 16 hosting spot.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
You, and every other Baylor fan, will worry if Baylor has Oregon in their regional.

I don’t see it but I could be wrong. I would worry more if Oregon didn’t have losses to 20-something ranked Stanford and OSU. But I will worry about any team that we may meet in the E8.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom