Staley: UConn "a pretty good team." Wow... thanks for that | The Boneyard

Staley: UConn "a pretty good team." Wow... thanks for that

Reaction Score
Just watched the end of the S. Carolina / Missouri game, including Dawn's post game interview. She said she was proud of how D. Henderson recovered from " a devastating loss Monday night.... well, a good loss... UConn is a pretty good team."
A "pretty good team." Wow.... not giving us much credit there...
I'm not sure we are the best team in the country, but I'm pretty sure we are more than "pretty good."

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just watched the end of the S. Carolina / Missouri game, including Dawn's post game interview. She said she was proud of how D. Henderson recovered from " a devastating loss Monday night.... well, a good loss... UConn is a pretty good team."
I'm not sure we are the best team in the country, but I'm pretty sure we are more than "pretty good."
Oh come on. At least she didn’t blame it on the basketball again.......?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
wh.gif

Reaction Score
I was expecting her to say: UConn may be a pretty good team.

Reaction Score
Context is everything here. She was talking about coming off a devastating loss and corrected herself into saying that the loss wasn’t bad because we’re a pretty good team (I.e. no shame in losing). It was a compliment in coachspeak.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Context is everything here. She was talking about coming off a devastating loss and corrected herself into saying that the loss wasn’t bad because we’re a pretty good team (I.e. no shame in losing). It was a compliment in coachspeak.
Not really and neither was the full interview on the SEC network where Dawn had the highest praise for Missouri Coach i.e., "the most efficient team in the SEC." "Always has her team prepared' .

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Not really and neither was the full interview on the SEC network where Dawn had the highest praise for Missouri Coach i.e., "the most efficient team in the SEC." "Always has her team prepared' .
She just played Missouri so it makes since that she'll talk more in depth about Missouri than the UCONN game. It's also easier to be complimentary of someone you just beat vs. someone you lost a heartbreaking game to. I'll definitely call Dawn out for her obnoxious comments (asking to be crowned the champion, blaming the ball, etc) but for fans to be upset about this feels like they're searching for another reason to be mad at her when there was no slight being made.

Reaction Score
I have been a Dawn Staley fan since 1991 when Virginia beat UConn in the Final Four. What other player has won the MOP at the Final Four after losing the NC Game besides Dawn Staley! I love Tammy Reese also and Dawns backcourt mate at Virginia! They both hurt the Huskies that game. Tammy is an Asst. Coach at Syracuse. Dawn is an average coach right now but is getting better. The staff she has hides her weaknesses and she lets them help out. She is getting better. As a player or coach I never hated an opposing player, Coach or team. Why, it doesn't make sense to me!

Reaction Score
Oh come on. At least she didn’t blame it on the basketball again.......?
Geno is always praising her team (and others) whenever they play against someone. It never matters if they win OR lose, he always says good things. I've always believed that if you were some type of 'figurehead' or someone that's in the public's eye, that you should 'own up' to your shortcomings or mistakes. Not cover them up. Plus it would seem her pride was still showing here. She may be a very good coach, but not a very good leader, IMO. :(

Reaction Score
what would Dawn have said if the Gamecocks lost the game...just my thoughts.

Reaction Score
Isn't it great we have another opposing coach to hate?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
All I can say is when Evina and Christyn start hitting their shots more consistently UConn will blow alot of top ranked teams out of the gym including SC.

Reaction Score
Man some people have a hard on for South Carolina on this board. Perpetually offended by Gamecocks banners, statues, and coaching staff members. Don't tell me the South Carolina game isn't our biggest game of the season. Creighton Bluejays - no one even notices when we play them. Coach Staley farts into the wind - grab your torches and pitchforks.

Reaction Score
Man some people have a hard on for South Carolina on this board. Perpetually offended by Gamecocks banners, statues, and coaching staff members. Don't tell me the South Carolina game isn't our biggest game of the season. Creighton Bluejays - no one even notices when we play them. Coach Staley farts into the wind - grab your torches and pitchforks.
I think you missed the point here. DAWN was the one who, instead of stating why they truly lost, tried to direct it towards some other reason. Every team will win and will lose games, but I seriously doubt it will be because of the equipment! You should re-watch this postgame interview of Geno, when they lost to SC last year. You won't find 'excuses' in why they lost. Like he stated.... SC was the better team that night.

Reaction Score
Prior to the season when we were hungry for news, this was interesting. Now that the games are on, not sure why Boneyard has this much focus on a nonstory.

Reaction Score
She is becoming the new MM to some of the fanbase. At least Dawn didn't dance a jig on the sidelines last year (as I recall).

Reaction Score
Never been a fan of hers and never will be
See, I'm the opposite. I was always a big fan of hers. When she coached with Geno in USA basketball, to winning the National Championship.

Then....the nonsense about they should be the National Champions last year because they were the overall top seed at the canceled tournament. That was huge turn off for me.

Then, this year, in the pre-game, she said that they USED to have to play perfect to beat UConn, but not anymore......

Then the ball thing. Holy smokes. Yeah, I'm out. It was also very clear to me that she had ZERO desire to do that Post Game interview. Her body language said it all for me. Awful example to her players about being classy or NOT.

If you all want an example of how to act, watch Geno's post game conference after the loss to MSST in the FF.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom