Staley A Match For Trailblazers? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Staley A Match For Trailblazers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hammon actually paid her dues as a coach at the NBA level and if anyone should be that first female head coach in the WNAB it's her. With all due respect to Staley she is only the 3rd or 4th best coach in WBB (IMO Geno, Tara and Kim M. are better coaches).

Reaction Score
Usually I stay out of these topics but you guys can be pathetic sometimes when it comes to other coaches and competition and as a Uconn fan you guys can be a little embarrassing, to say dawn has an ego is just beyond to me because where has she displayed an ego? All because she wanted to reward the hard work of a team that didn’t have a chance to compete for a title and said they earned a banner (which I don’t understand why that became such a big ordeal) just say you don’t like her because they’re a legitimate threat to us for the next couple of years as opposed to disguising it as if she has an ego or a bad attitude! Dawn has done nothing but uplift and empower black women within this field and has broken barriers set in place for them at this level respect that and stop with the childish comments please!

Reaction Score
All of you people on the Dawn Staley ego/bad game coach - LOL. We were a missed put-back of beating UConn at their place AND playing for a National Championship this year. We lost 1 game in 2019 year playing a very tough schedule with a bunch of freshmen, albeit they were highly ranked. SC hasn’t been stacked with waves of top 10 recruits until last year. We’ve had A’ja and Destanni Henderson. we had Kaela Davis and Allisha Gray for 1 year as transfers and won a NC. Other than that Dawn has had to develop players. In that time our rise onto the National scene has been done by taking Top 50 players and developing them….Alaina Coates, Tiffany Mitchell, Tyasha Harris, Kiki Herbert Harrigan all were developed into Top 10 WNBA picks.

What great coach doesn’t have an ego? Geno doesn’t? Muffet? Mulkey? I would say she has a colorful personality just like the rest of them. Dawn Staley is unmatched in WBB history when you consider her high school/college/Olympic/coaching career so maybe she’s earned the right to have a bit of an ego. I don’t think she wants to go to the NBA but it’s not very smart to let your employer think you’ll never look anywhere else, especially when people keep calling. For the most part SC is the crown jewel of the SEC in WBB. Kim Mulkey just came into the league and is getting twice the salary Dawn’s getting. I don’t know all the details of either contract, but Dawn’s is in the process of being reworked. Dawn is a VERY popular coach at SC. Maybe she’s just giving the BofD something to think about. I’m sure some of them think we need to wait since it’s on the back of COVID-19 losses but we just paid a fired FB coach 13 million not to coach. Just sayin’.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
All of the top coaches have Egos.... Summit... McGraw... Geno, Mulkey, Staley and so on. Anyway, I don't see why Staley would leave Lower Carolina for any other job, college, NBA, NFL.. whatever. But maybe money talks... and Portland can throw so much money at her that she can't refuse. She'll go to the NBA, flame out after a couple of years with millions and millions in the bank... then return to WCBB to the school that she truly belongs. UVA :cool::eek::p

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Don’t know how likely this is, but Dawn to Portland makes more sense than Kara to the Boston Celtics. At least Dawn has a lengthy resume as a successful college and National team HC.

I disagree--coaching women's college basketball is completely different from coaching in the NBA. I'd take my chances on Kara or Hammon who have experience in the NBA and have learned a lot of the intricacies that go into coaching in the league, plus both have players and coaches who are vetting them as prime candidates. I dont doubt that Dawn has the ability but I think there'd be more of a learning curve with so much experience coaching collegiate women that the adjustment would be a bit rockier if she coaches NBA players and learns the business on the fly. For example, Kara Lawson appeared on JJ Redick's podcast and pointed out how she was surprised at how sensitive NBA players are compared to WNBA players. I can see Dawn having a more difficult time taking the reigns of an NBA team and getting them to buy into her system and style of coaching compared to someone with direct experience and who is likely more malleable.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I disagree--coaching women's college basketball is completely different from coaching in the NBA. I'd take my chances on Kara or Hammon who have experience in the NBA and have learned a lot of the intricacies that go into coaching in the league, plus both have players and coaches who are vetting them as prime candidates. I dont doubt that Dawn has the ability but I think there'd be more of a learning curve with so much experience coaching collegiate women that the adjustment would be a bit rockier if she coaches NBA players and learns the business on the fly. For example, Kara Lawson appeared on JJ Redick's podcast and pointed out how she was surprised at how sensitive NBA players are compared to WNBA players. I can see Dawn having a more difficult time taking the reigns of an NBA team and getting them to buy into her system and style of coaching compared to someone with direct experience and who is likely more malleable.
You are equating Kara, who has coached exactly 1 season as an assistant in the nba, a season substantially reduced by a pandemic, to Hammon who has coached 7 years in the NBA. Hammon is ready to be a HC in the NBA, which is why she is being interviewed by the Portland Trailblazers. In no way is Kara ready to be a HC. She is being interviewed by the Celtics because she coached there for that one season, and Brad Stephens respects her ability. But she will not get the Celtics HC job.

As for Dawn, she has substantially more HC experience than a number of men who were named NBA HC’s, including Brad Stephens, the former HC of the Boston Celtics and current GM.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nan I did above!
She has a bigger ego than Geno (which is bigtime) and that would make her consider this chance very seriously IMHO!
So, if Dawn were a man and acted the same way, would you still accuse her of having a big ego?

The double standards are maddening - and dated. Women can be as strong and as aggressive as men without being “lesser”.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So, if Dawn were a man and acted the same way, would you still accuse her of having a big ego?

The double standards are maddening - and dated. Women can be as strong and as aggressive as men without being “lesser”.
Your post got me thinking. Dawn may simply be testing the waters to see if she can coax a few more dollars out of SC, something Jeff Walz tried twice at Louisville, succeeding just once.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure of either.
SC is a major contender for the NC next year, and probably next few years. Without her they surely fall back a bit.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Your post got me thinking. Dawn may simply be testing the waters to see if she can coax a few more dollars out of SC, something Jeff Walz tried twice at Louisville, succeeding just once.
I don’t think she’s promoting this rumor, I think people are just speculating.

Reaction Score

Yup, thank you. A man acts the same way and people eat it up. Strong women are threatening, especially a strong black woman.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
You are equating Kara, who has coached exactly 1 season as an assistant in the nba, a season substantially reduced by a pandemic, to Hammon who has coached 7 years in the NBA. Hammon is ready to be a HC in the NBA, which is why she is being interviewed by the Portland Trailblazers. In no way is Kara ready to be a HC. She is being interviewed by the Celtics because she coached there for that one season, and Brad Stephens respects her ability. But she will not get the Celtics HC job.

As for Dawn, she has substantially more HC experience than a number of men who were named NBA HC’s, including Brad Stephens, the former HC of the Boston Celtics and current GM.

I didn't equate them, I stated I think they both would be better options than Dawn based on their NBA experience, although Kara admittedly has very little coaching experience, though it appears she made quite an impact in her one season.

Coaching collegiate women is a totally different game than coaching in the NBA--one's not easier or better/worse than the other, it's just apples and oranges with different expectations, different levels of pressure, and coaches need to manage relationships differently. Dawn's resume is undoubtedly phenomenal but if I'm a GM, I'd rather take someone with NBA experience who has more familiarity with the league's dynamics, the players, expectations, etc. I'd say the same about any men's colleiate coach wanting to take the jump, as coaches who jump from college to the NBA without NBA coaching experience seldom find success either. Brad Stevens seems to be an outlier in that arena:

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
Dawn Staley is a good/great RECRUITER not a good or great GAME coach!
I am not and have never been a fan of Dawn!
She has everything a coach could want at SoCar BUT Money and Fame are very appealing!
She has a bigger ego than Geno (which is bigtime) and that would make her consider this chance very seriously IMHO!
And Portland's ownership might triple or quadruple Dawn's current salary!' Never say never.
I really am curious - what stories do you have to support that Staley has a huge ego?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I really am curious - what stories do you have to support that Staley has a huge ego?
1623663799045.png

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I didn't equate them, I stated I think they both would be better options than Dawn based on their NBA experience, although Kara admittedly has very little coaching experience, though it appears she made quite an impact in her one season.

Coaching collegiate women is a totally different game than coaching in the NBA--one's not easier or better/worse than the other, it's just apples and oranges with different expectations, different levels of pressure, and coaches need to manage relationships differently. Dawn's resume is undoubtedly phenomenal but if I'm a GM, I'd rather take someone with NBA experience who has more familiarity with the league's dynamics, the players, expectations, etc. I'd say the same about any men's colleiate coach wanting to take the jump, as coaches who jump from college to the NBA without NBA coaching experience seldom find success either. Brad Stevens seems to be an outlier in that arena:

Your point on college coaches to the NBA is accurate. I like Kara. She’s been a great spokesperson for WBB for many years and I truly hope that she is successful at Duke or wherever she ends up coaching. But it’s really a stretch to suggest that after just one year in the NBA as an assistant, with no prior coaching experience, she is ready to be a HC in the NBA.

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
In our world, UConn world that is, all we want is to put the lost year behind us, play meaningful games against great teams coached by great coaches. Geno has created a monster by which very few teams out there present a challenge to us on the basketball court. I believe if Kara stays, Duke will again become a factor again, Dawns exit from SC would be a blow to them. Kim just left Baylor to fend for themselves with a new direction. All these speculations from the NBA may be great for women, great for womens coaches, but not necessarily great for us. Hopefully LSU will become a new rivalry (unless they come calling for Kim ), SC may regress if Dawn leaves as recruiting will take a hit. All I'm saying is although it is really great for these women, we need them for our program to stay strong, to give our season a spark that is not coming from conference play. The personalities of these coaches create passion for their own student athletes and the challenge for Geno and every other great coach and school out there. I for one am being selfish I know, but I don't want WBB to become irrelevant if we lose the personalities that are the core of WCBB.

Reaction Score
Sorry to disappoint but I'll quote Dawn's response printed in today's "State Newspaper"

"No ounce of me wants to coach outside of college".

"Too much work to be done in women's basketball"

I stole this from Volnation. Posted there by an SC fan.

Reaction Score
Meanwhile she was a missed layup away from coaching in a championship, but please do continue to go off…
Every single game in the FF was ugly-which plays right into her hands.

I said it before and I'll say it again, every team in the WFF this year would've lost to the last ten National Champions by at least 20 points. This past year was the most down year WBB game has seen in years.

Reaction Score
It is a little hard for me to conceive what the appeal would be for Dawn, other than being the first. In women's college basketball she is coaching royalty, with perhaps the second best program in the country. She could probably stay right near the top for the rest of a very long coaching career. In the NBA long coaching careers are much more difficult, money is more of an issue, you don't develop players as much as you buy them, to potentially then lose them to the highest bidder on their next contract.

In college the coach is more the program, in the pros it is just the on the court issues. In college Dawn is recruiting female players, many of which prefer having a female coach. In Portland she would break barriers of course, but is now recruiting male FA's, and some of those may consider her sex now a disadvantage, vs being a probable advantage in the women's game. In addition some players may view her as someone lacking experience playing or coaching in "their" game. Remember there are many that ridicule women's basketball. Some of those probably wear NBA uniforms now, although most I believe are supportive of the women's game.

My main point is Dawn has a great job now, by almost any definition. If she lists the pros and cons of an NBA coaching job, there are plenty of pros, but the con side has a lot more entries than her current position by far. Still if "making history" is by far the most important factor to her, she could consider it, but it would surprise me if she did.

From a Uconn perspective, if the coach leaves from one of our biggest competitors it obviously helps us, just as Kim leaving for LSU does at least for a couple of years, and if she did imagine the possibility of more SC players in the transfer portal. That would almost open up a new recruiting season for the top programs.

Reaction Score
Sorry to disappoint but I'll quote Dawn's response printed in today's "State Newspaper"

"No ounce of me wants to coach outside of college".

"Too much work to be done in women's basketball"

Reaction Score
Yup, thank you. A man acts the same way and people eat it up. Strong women are threatening, especially a strong black woman.
I believe that blanket statement is grossly misplaced, especially on a WBB forum.
Apologies accepted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul