Staley A Match For Trailblazers? | The Boneyard

Staley A Match For Trailblazers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The push for the "first this and that" is getting a bit too much. I just don't see a this being a good match in the NBA with the characters in the league. We'll see soon enough.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I believe that Dawn is a hard ass coach {meant in a good way ). She has her coaching style, she has the respect of all her players as well as the rest of the college coaching fraternity. When she wants a player to do something, she is not asking, she is telling. She is the boss and whatever she wants is done with no nonsense allowed. Obviously I do not know Dawn personally, but her persona is on full display in tweets, pressers, and of course, on the court. College basketball is a coaches league, with all the teams taking on the personality of their coaches. There may be star players, but there is no question about who is in charge. On the other hand, the NBA, as well as the WNBA, is a players league. The players are unofficially in charge, they make the money, they do not always act in the best interests of the team, or to their own teammates for that matter. For Dawn, or any successful college coach, this is a different ballgame in which they would have to adapt to a style that may be foreign to them. A strong willed and opinionated coach such as Dawn I believe would be unhappy in the NBA, not being able to really be in charge, not to mention her being able to teach young players to be great players. She is very successful where she is in SC, something that should be acknowledged and not taken for granted. These coaches must think of the consequences when changing the landscape of their careers, cause sometimes you can never go back.

Reaction Score
Not a chance of this happening.
Why enter the revolving door of the NBA coaching culture when she can stay put at SC, rule the roost for however long she decided to , and make tons of dough?
She may have several shortcomings (imho), but being stupid isn’t one of them.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not a chance of this happening.
Why enter the revolving door of the NBA coaching culture when she can stay put at SC, rule the roost for however long she decided to , and make tons of dough?
She may have several shortcomings (imho), but being stupid isn’t one of them.
Being the first to break the Gender Barrier is very enticing for many. Not an easy decision but I am not sure that the majority of NBA players are willing to take a women coach seriously Best chance imho is Hammon taking over for Popovitch when he retires

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
If Dawn gets this job I would be shocked. Are people seeing something other than what I see when SC plays? Yes, she can collect talent in masses, but SC never looks cohesive on offense.
Agreed, and exactly why I've yet to see the Cocks as a threat for a championship over the next 4-5 years.....but, perhaps she'll prove me wrong.

Reaction Score
Dawn Staley is a good/great RECRUITER not a good or great GAME coach!
I am not and have never been a fan of Dawn!
She has everything a coach could want at SoCar BUT Money and Fame are very appealing!
She has a bigger ego than Geno (which is bigtime) and that would make her consider this chance very seriously IMHO!
And Portland's ownership might triple or quadruple Dawn's current salary!' Never say never.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Don’t know how likely this is, but Dawn to Portland makes more sense than Kara to the Boston Celtics. At least Dawn has a lengthy resume as a successful college and National team HC.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
If Dawn gets the job, I think it would be a slap in the face to Becky Hammon.
Agree, along with the fact that both Hammon and Lawson have more pro experience than Dawn. Yes, Dawn has been involved in USA WBB for a while, but that's different than the NBA. For me, as a Boston fan, even Lawson being considered for the Celtics is interesting, as I'd take Hammon over her right now, based on what each of their jobs and responsibilities were/are in the NBA.

IMHO, putting any female names in the supposed "hat" for NBA jobs, where they've had little/no experience is clickbait and ingenuous, when there are so many other coaches that actually have worked in the league. There's no way an NBA team would actually hire someone for the media exposure, as there's too much at stake - season pass holders, playoffs, free agency, etc. Hammon and Lawson have the respect of players and coaches based on what they've accomplished.

Reaction Score
USC
Admistration has confirmed that they were asked for and gave permission for Portland
To speak to Dawn
You never know!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
and while her departure would be good for UConn, it would be bad for wcbb.
I’m not sure of either. It’s always good for Connecticut to have competent rivals to play against. And while losing Staley would be a loss for woman’s college basketball, it’s also a gain in that one of their own will have gone on to coach at the highest level of the game. That’s a big deal.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She has everything a coach could want at SoCar BUT Money and Fame are very appealing!
She has a bigger ego than Geno (which is bigtime) and that would make her consider this chance very seriously IMHO!
And Portland's ownership might triple or quadruple Dawn's current salary!' Never say never.
I was listening to the local news station on the radio the other day. The announcer speaking about a current news story, quoted a billionaire (I believe it was Elon Musk). He said: "the answer to any problem is money." EVERYONE has their price. I heard that any problem can be solved by throwing either money (resources) or personnel at it. That's like the theory that you only need two things in your tool box, Duct tape and WD 40. ;)

I don't think Dawn would be a good fit in the NBA (she's found her niche) because of her style of coaching, I could be wrong. College or WNBA, yes. NBA, no. I'm not bashing Dawn, I like her. If you read any of my other posts about Dawn or SC, you'll find them all positive. She's got it made where she is, and is being compensated very handsomely. ALL coaches and player's contracts in the NBA are fully guaranteed. If a team really wanted her (or any other coach), a LARGE sum of money would be an enticement that would be almost impossible to resist. The answer to any problem is money. Everyone has their price. ;)

I also agree that Becky Hammon should be the first female coach to break that barrier. She's ready now. She's just waiting for the right opportunity to present itself, which maybe with the San Antonio Spurs when Gregg Popovich (the oldest NBA head coach at 72) retires. Since female coaches (Lawson, Staley and Hammon) are suddenly becoming attractive to NBA general managers, it shouldn't be too much longer before THAT barrier is broken. I predict Hammon will be an NBA head coach within the next 3 years.

I say that because of these 3, Hammon has been cutting her teeth at the NBA level for years, and she's currently a bench coach, one step (seat) away from being a head coach. She became the first female head coach of a Summer League team in 2015 when she coached the Spurs' squad there, and in December 2020 became the first woman to serve as head coach in the NBA after taking over for an ejected Gregg Popovich in a game against the Clippers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have to believe this is simply a chance for Portland to burnish their image as a “progressive” organization! Not surprising at all considering where they play. I don’t believe many people think of Dawn when they are considering great basketball minds/teachers. However, it is conceivable that they believe they could pair her (a strong, take no prisoners leader) with a set of assistants to focus on areas she is not so strong in, and reap the progressive/social benefit of being the first to hire a female head coach while still fielding a competitive team. It is even possible those people could be right. I wouldn’t bet against her. She is definitely not my cup of tea but only a fool would deny her ability to get things done! Ultimately however, I believe she will stay at SC.

Reaction Score
Where did this ego thing come from? Why is no one here bashing Geno for his ego?
Nan I did above!

Reaction Score
Triple or quadruple her salary?
For what? A photo op and a head coach for maybe 18 months (max)?
Would be up there with some of the NY Knicks
irrationality- and to this point they’ve pretty much cornered the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom