Staff Changes Needed | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Staff Changes Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So in other words, something must be done, this is something, ergo this must be done?

I mean you can be a wise ass all you want.

The team has been BAD two straight seasons. If you think Hobbs, Miller or Moore are coaching geniuses more power to you.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If I were on the staff - I would have looked at Rodney Purvis (last year) and would have told him... "Dude, we need you to shoot 75-80% from the FT line... so at the end of a game (when we begin to act foolish on the offensive end.. you can take the ball from 35 feet and drive to the hoop to get us a desperately needed bucket or 3 point play - just like Ben Gordon did on the 2004 team. You see... we are UCONN and we have the ability to act foolish on the offensive end - near the end of games. Dude, did you see Sterling get manhandled when he tried it? Temple is decent defensive team - no pushover. So this 46% or whatever the fudge you shoot is completely unacceptable. You are a small linebacker - playing football."

If it were that ridiculously simple, I would be the greatest coach in the history of the known universe.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Everybody needs to pull together and get their chemistry straightened out.

I hope they don't form a circular firing squad like the posters.

Funny. There is one, clear, team issue and no one mentions it in their diagnosis. I guess speculation is better than the , elephant in the middle of the room.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
In general, fixing the team overall is pretty simple.

Give them a consensus 1st team AA point guard, and they are a Final Four lock. And Ollie has his coach on the floor.

^^ This is it in a nutshell.

We have a team full of 2-guards. Honestly, I think we might have more 2-guards than scholarships! Gibbs, Purvis, Calhoun, Cassell Jr....all 2-guards. Our only true "point" is a freshman. And he makes freshman mistakes.

So who runs the point, then? Our forward, of course! Picture a UConn fast break this year in your head. Who's dribbling the ball up the court in your mental picture? If it isn't Hamilton, then I think you've been watching a different team this year than I have.

If Adams can put it together down the stretch, we are going to be in for another classic April run by our Huskies. If he can't, then next year is the year that we take it all, especially if Gilbert turns out to be as good as they are saying he is...

Reaction Score
The coaching has been a big problem for 2 years now.

KO deserves to coach his own recruits, and has at least 2 years beyond this one to prove he's the right guy long-term. But he will be on notice if this season continues the way it has, with two big disappointments in a row.

The rest of the staff needs a shake-up. This "all in the family" coaching staff is a cute look and maybe it fits the "family" storyline we pitch to recruits. But I'm not convinced the guys we have now add a G-D thing when it comes to
1) recruiting
2) player development
3) in-game tactics

Recruiting was a concern for some time, but KO -- essentially on his own -- seems to have righted the ship.

The bigs, plainly, have not significantly improved during KO's tenure. Because of the horrific recruiting, none of the bigs we have (Nolan, Facey, Brimah) were going to morph into Olajuwon. But after 3 or 4 years, we should have seen much more than we have.

It's become cliche to say it, but we need to bring in an assistant who can challenge, instill toughness in, and improve the skills of our bigs. We're not going to be recruiting the Jahlil Okafors and Karl-Anthony Townses of the world. If we can't develop bigs, our frontcourt will always be a weakness.

Whatever Glen Miller is supposed to be providing here, in terms of big-man coaching, game-planning, and strategy, it's not cutting it.

Karl Hobbs may be past his expiration date as well.

It says something about me, that I can lurk on this board for 5 years without responding to any of the intelligent, enlightening posts, but this hot garbage drags me in.

I can defend the development of the bigs but in the end I'd be forced to admit my argument (and yours) is subjective and therefore inconclusive, which by the way is one strike against you. I can tell you that Phil & Amida are playing well and I have no idea what team you're watching if you think they aren't doing thier job.

I agree that Kentan isn't where I'd hoped but I wonder if you had the same criticism of Edmond prior to his senior year. Due to his lack of pt I have to assume he's not embracing (and putting in the work) his role.

Whatever the case the Huskies didn't lose that game because of the bigs, they lost a game they should have won by 30 because they didn't have a pg on the floor. The reason for that is a hangover from the post season ban, you remember that? The one that caused a laps in good recruiting & resulting in the usual boneyard suspects calling for a recruiting "closer"?

Next year Jalen plays off ball with a legit pg on the floor.

What irritates me most about the reactionaries like the op is that thier opinion literally comes from a place of ignorance. Get rid of Glen Miller?

Who scouted for the Butler game? You don't know.

Who scouted for the Kentucky game? Oh you don't know that either?

Who is responsible for helping the team insert more motion? Let me guess.

Reaction Score
You're talking about a guy was like 7-33 on the season coming into the game and went 4-5. It was absolutely a fluke.
how many of those 33 attempts do you think were completely uncontested? hell, any decent high school player could hit 50% from 3 if he's just standing there wide open

Reaction Score
It says something about me, that I can lurk on this board for 5 years without responding to any of the intelligent, enlightening posts, but this hot garbage drags me in.

I can defend the development of the bigs but in the end I'd be forced to admit my argument (and yours) is subjective and therefore inconclusive, which by the way is one strike against you. I can tell you that Phil & Amida are playing well and I have no idea what team you're watching if you think they aren't doing thier job.

I agree that Kentan isn't where I'd hoped but I wonder if you had the same criticism of Edmond prior to his senior year. Due to his lack of pt I have to assume he's not embracing (and putting in the work) his role.

Whatever the case the Huskies didn't lose that game because of the bigs, they lost a game they should have won by 30 because they didn't have a pg on the floor. The reason for that is a hangover from the post season ban, you remember that? The one that caused a laps in good recruiting & resulting in the usual boneyard suspects calling for a recruiting "closer"?

What irritates me most about the reactionaries like the op is that thier opinion literally comes from a place of ignorance. Get rid of Glen Miller?

Great post and welcome. We need more like you.

Thanks to you, Bruce, Kita, Stair and a few others for trying to bring a little bit of sanity to this train wreck of a thread.

Reaction Score
how many of those 33 attempts do you think were completely uncontested? hell, any decent high school player could hit 50% from 3 if he's just standing there wide open
You keep bringing up this "decent shooter" argument. Any decent shooter would be hitting more than 21% in games, whether they are contested or not.

Reaction Score
Ricky Moore has been connected to most of our best recruiting.
We're lucky to have him, I think he's got a bright future. Recruiting is a team effort though, one coach can ruin it but it takes all of the coaches, entirety of staff and commitment by the school to be successful. It's an exciting time to be a Connecticut fan.

Reaction Score
Need an Offensive Coordinator from outside the family, who has new ideas. Too much jogging thru their cuts.
Tired of scoring in the 50's

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The truth is obviously somewhere in the middle - in between they are bumbling fools and they are a basketball Mensa society on their way to the Basketball Hall of Fame as a collective group. These were the guys game planning and making adjustments in March and April of 2014, which not many staffs can brag about, and they are the ones who have game planned and adjusted us to 7 winnable losses this year, which they deserve some criticism for. But a couple things in this thread jump out at me.

Ricky is the best defensive guard I've ever seen in college. All of our perimeter guys in the last few years have gotten exponentially better on defense. Could be coincidence, I suppose. I'm not privy to what goes on in practice and maybe he just supervises the managers while others coach defensive principles for all I know. But if you fail to imagine what coaching acumen he could possibly be bringing to the table, I'm not sure how to lay out any dots that are easier to connect than our guards improve defensively. A lot.

Bazz was awesome in 14, but to act like the coaches just went along for the ride is nonsense. Bazz stunk against St. Joe's, got in foul trouble against Nova and was effectively game planned out of the game by Florida. Every time, we adjusted. And those last three games saw our opponents struggle to score 50 points. That wasn't any one player doing that. That was an organized, well-coached team. We show some of that now with our defensive effort too, but we still haven't quite put it all together yet. Five minutes left against Tenple, I felt great about how we were progressing over a month-long arc - now we got ourselves a nut punch that pretty much flattens that arc out straight again in a matter of minutes. Sports does that to you sometimes. It's now about how we respond to it.

Also, the original poster has a blind spot for micro/macro issues. He'll opine that if we miss a free throw in a tie game in the first half, it's an epic disaster that will start the ball rolling for the entire state university system to collapse. So grain of salt.

Great post Gurley.

Tangentially, it seems most posters on here forget that there is a lot of room to grow for some of these coaches, especially Ollie. It takes time. These guys aren't static. This isn't who'll they'll be in 1, 2, 5, etc years.

Ollie is struggling in-game coaching right now. Doesn't mean he always will. He'll likely grow most in the offseason, as he looks back and analyzes what he did wrong throughout the year. I've no doubt he'll get together with JC and do the same.

We've got the players coming in, and that is the key, more than anything. And if we don't crush it next year (depending on who comes back though), people need to chill out. He's not taking a bunch of freshman to the promised land.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
^^ This is it in a nutshell.

We have a team full of 2-guards. Honestly, I think we might have more 2-guards than scholarships! Gibbs, Purvis, Calhoun, Cassell Jr....all 2-guards. Our only true "point" is a freshman. And he makes freshman mistakes.

So who runs the point, then? Our forward, of course! Picture a UConn fast break this year in your head. Who's dribbling the ball up the court in your mental picture? If it isn't Hamilton, then I think you've been watching a different team this year than I have.

If Adams can put it together down the stretch, we are going to be in for another classic April run by our Huskies. If he can't, then next year is the year that we take it all, especially if Gilbert turns out to be as good as they are saying he is...

Even Adams isn't a true point. He's a classic combo. But he's got enough skill to play a true point role. Not sure about the experience though. And, potentially, where his head is at atm.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Post more often dude.

Reaction Score
Need an Offensive Coordinator from outside the family, who has new ideas. Too much jogging thru their cuts.
Tired of scoring in the 50's

Why would they need a new coach with new ideas when you've so deftly and concisely identified the problem? Just get floor seats and yell "cut harder" at Rodney, problem solved. I know those seats go for a lot of scratch but think of it as taking one for the team.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Bullsh_t. Not under that pressure. Kid got a hot hand. That's all. I mean,tThis kid shoots a worse percentage from 3 than most BIG guys these days.

Could we have contested the weakest 3pt shooter on the floor a bit more? Absolutely. But that is one among a ton of other failures during that game.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You keep bringing up this "decent shooter" argument. Any decent shooter would be hitting more than 21% in games, whether they are contested or not.

As I said before, the kid hits a worse percentage than most bigs these days.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
One thing that stands out to me. This is a program in transition in sooo many ways. As much as most posters want (expect) to see it happen immediately, it takes longer than 2 years to effect change. And it comes in fits and starts, not as a smooth progression. We are doing well in a number of areas, but struggling in others. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
What a crock. Temple couldn't get a good look because we have one of the best defenses in the country. Then a 21% 3-point shooter hit three in a row, and they closed the gap, the guys panicked, and we blew it. You're being a reactionary. Please don't try to pretend otherwise.
this year is the only year that we have not had a true leader on the floor, especially pg wise to settle everyone down, get on guys for not being mentally in the game, and to get the ball, take the shot and take the pressure off of everyone... hamilton you can see last game when i think it was gibbs who had the ball, he was slapping his hands together demanding the ball then gibbs gave him the ball in a bad position... imo hamilton is trying to step up and be that guy, followed by adams...someone needs to be that guy and quick

Reaction Score

Well this is false have you watched kids shoot anymore? You wouldn't get 50% of the kids to shoot 50% standing alone and that goes for college players too. They want to dunk not shoot these days.

Reaction Score
Could we have contested the weakest 3pt shooter on the floor a bit more? Absolutely. But that is one among a ton of other failures during that game.
Yes - and this one I will put on Ollie to a certain extent, because it was pretty clear by about the 7 minute mark that a number of our guys were gassed. When kids get tired, turnovers happen, and when turnovers happen, the opponents get open looks.

Ollie's short rotation vs. Temple really made no sense. Just a couple of minutes from Adams, Facey & Enoch could have drastically changed the shape of the game.

One thing that stands out to me. This is a program in transition in sooo many ways. As much as most posters want (expect) to see it happen immediately, it takes longer than 2 years to effect change. And it comes in fits and starts, not as a smooth progression. We are doing well in a number of areas, but struggling in others. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.
And this I agree with 100%. These last two years - the suffering and uncertainty - are the point of sanctions, and we're transitioning out of them at a pretty decent clip IMO. Next year will be better, and the year after that, and the year after that, etc.

Reaction Score
Great post Gurley.

Tangentially, it seems most posters on here forget that there is a lot of room to grow for some of these coaches, especially Ollie. It takes time. These guys aren't static. This isn't who'll they'll be in 1, 2, 5, etc years.

Ollie is struggling in-game coaching right now. Doesn't mean he always will. He'll likely grow most in the offseason, as he looks back and analyzes what he did wrong throughout the year. I've no doubt he'll get together with JC and do the same.

We've got the players coming in, and that is the key, more than anything. And if we don't crush it next year (depending on who comes back though), people need to chill out. He's not taking a bunch of freshman to the promised land.
This still doesn't excuse being on course to miss the Big Dance two years in a row. As far as JC goes, I get the impression Ollie doesn't ask JC for mentoring and JC stays out of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom