St Johns Postgame Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

St Johns Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How often did Nika (or anyone else) get into the lane either by dribble penetration or by cutting into it for a pass, and then take a jump shot of 15' or less? That's one thing St Johns did . . . all too often.
Exactly. When the opposition doesn't just allow them to go where they want and run their offense, other than LLS they have no one who can freelance and create a good shot. When Juhasz, Edwards, and Griffin handle the ball more than half of the time in the halfcourt, there's going to be turnovers.

Reaction Score
Why does a limited roster prevent playing zone ? Playing zone is what you do when you are playing a team that is quicker than you, but not necessarily a great shooting team or big team , i.e. St Johns. The zone with Deberry at the rim looked pretty effective for the few possessions.
You're kidding right? To me it looked like the opposite of a box and 1 with Deberry standing in the paint waving her arms while the other 4 kids were trying to guard St. John 4 on 5. I'm not dumping on DeBerry, UConn is not a good zone defense team. Never has been. Usually UConn is very good on switching in man-to-man defense. UConn seems to go zone when Deberry is in the game. It doesn't work. Then again, a lot of things didn't work tonight like shots less than 6 feet from the hoop and being able to actually catch a basketball. Maybe not a lot of turnovers, but each one was incredibly stupid unfortunate for a (previously) #1 seed.

We don't want the kids to get down on themselves, we shouldn't either. It ain't over.

A further thought, the problems are bigger than 1 player like Azzi coming back. To expect that UConn is suddenly in the land of milk and honey with Azzi is unrealistic and unfair. We know they can play excellent basketball even without Azzi. They just need to rediscover how to do it.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We lost tonite because we got some bad breaks It happens we've been running on fumes and it caught up to us. We lack shooters, we've made way to many TOs but we only made 12 tonite. We need to get through February and we can rest. Hopefully Caroline and Azzi come back healthy and with a rested Lou we can win it all. Thats a big "IF" We have 50+ pts on the bench. Right now we have no bench. IF we have a healthy Caroline and Azzi coming off the bench I like our chances against any team

Reaction Score
Calling his team out in the presser isn’t new behavior from Geno, it’s something he did about 15-20 years ago. He knows his players and knows how they respond to challenges. He’s actually spoken about not being able to challenge teams in the recent past, that young people had changed and they didn’t react well to criticism. As a result, we got the kinder, gentler Geno - and no championships.

This year’s team is different and has looked so much like “classic” UConn teams of old. Through the first 24-25 games of the season, the Huskies showed incredible mental toughness and resilience, the last few games, not so much. I’m actually encouraged that Geno is calling them out because he already knows how his team will respond. I take it as a sign that he’s sure they’ll rise up again. When you get the - “They tried, it wasn’t enough. We’ll be back when everyone is healthy, blah blah blah” it’s time to call it a season but, I’m not ready to do so yet.
Instead of blaming the players, how about Geno saying it’s on me.
I need to do a better job getting them ready for the game and to play better defense and to rebound.
I’m a NY Giants fan and they have a top notch head coach who consistently gets the most out of his players. Whenever something goes wrong he says, literally, “It’s on me.” (What he says to the team in private may be totally different, but never publicly blames his players.)

Reaction Score
I know this team is tired both mentally and physically- but I would have liked to see this team try and change the pace of the game. Maybe some full court pressure with Aubrey up top. I get the tired but already mentioned UConn traditionally played only 7 or 8 players. Seeing the same pace all game was frustrating.
I think the difference is that "traditionally" the UConn 7 or 8 would often have a 20 point lead at halftime and would be cruising in the second half, much less mental stress. This years' team is in a dogfight every game.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I need to do a better job getting them ready for the game and to play better defense and to rebound.
I’m a NY Giants fan and they have a top notch head coach who consistently gets the most out of his players. Whenever something goes wrong he says, literally, “It’s on me.” (What he says to the team in private may be totally different, but never publicly blames his players.)

He did. Didn't you watch the entire presser? He absolutely said the Coaches weren't getting their point across. He literally said the coaches did a *t job. But don't discount the value of expressing disappointment with the team. He didn't call them names as some on here have suggested. He pointed out the team's shortcomings which there are. He wants them to prove him wrong down the road. He always looks at the big picture. Time will tell how it plays out.

Reaction Score
I’m amazed at how many are ready to jump off the bridge when we lose. We just won 2 tough games against good or very good teams. We have no bench to speak of. The players have played too many minutes all year. Yes, Geno normally has a rotation of 7. But then he also had a team that wins most games by double digits and can sub the others. Not so this year.

This team rallied to play SC tough. They rallied to beat Villanova twice. Then, in each case they played exhausted In following games. No chicken little, the sky is not falling. Give us a few days off, and maybe some Azzi time, and we can beat anyone on any given day.

Mark my words… you won’t want to play us in the NCAA tournament!

Reaction Score
Charlie Creme just moved LSU to the last #1 seed. The #2 seeds are Maryland, Utah, UCONN, & Iowa.
He would have moved Iowa to #1 with a win, but Maryland trounced them tonight.
Of course he did. That shouldn't surprise anyone.

Reaction Score
My would be advice to CD, AG, DJ and the team in general: keep shoot'n it, keep your head up, do not play scared and DO NOT DEFER to others. These games happen. Some fans understand, others analyze the team to death. Luckily, experts are in charge and not us (self inclusive) fans.

Reaction Score
The formula for beating UConn may be complex, but it requires one essential ingredient, "you must play your best on both sides of the ball". St John's did that. UConn played poorly and St John's made sure it was enough to get them their win.

Reaction Score
Caroline played like she was still dizzy from the concussion. She missed badly on three critical shots down the stretch.
One of those could have been an easy pass to Edwards, but who knows if she would have made the layup. Just a bad game. On to the next one.

Reaction Score
A comment on UConn's play, and not picking out any particular player. UConn is a poor passing team. You can see it in the stat sheet (TO's), but also by how they miss open cutters to the basket. Frequently some great cuts to the basket go unrewarded. The risk of the TO has something to do with that. But, IMO, passing to a cutter is essential and worth the risk. Our passers are too anchored and the passes they try to make, predictable. BTW, assists have more to do with making shots than pass quality, IMO.

Reaction Score
We lost tonite because we got some bad breaks It happens we've been running on fumes and it caught up to us. We lack shooters, we've made way to many TOs but we only made 12 tonite. We need to get through February and we can rest. Hopefully Caroline and Azzi come back healthy and with a rested Lou we can win it all. Thats a big "IF" We have 50+ pts on the bench. Right now we have no bench. IF we have a healthy Caroline and Azzi coming off the bench I like our chances against any team
A lot of what ifs here, hope your right and the pieces come together. I didn't see the bad breaks. We did point blank miss a lot of layups at an increasing number in recent games. Several third quarter calls went against us and we didn't seem to play up after that. We also seem to quit on finishing shots with the expectation that a foul would be called. This is three point opportunity but we chose to make faces at the ref as the game plays on............. Things balance out. There was a time when you make your own breaks. We played better then.

A team has to establish it's game early, we haven't lately.
There is still time for this team to come together. We must focus on our strengths and weaknesses. To get better is within our grasp. Come on Huskies pull the sled together!

Reaction Score
And he doesn’t even have 11 NCs!

Reaction Score
this is the type of game Ines shoulda gotten some playing time, I heard all season well maybe they're not ready to play, Deberry another, they might lose the game if they come in, well they lost and hardly any of those play and now on top we don't know how they would have done had they gotten the playing time in the past.

Reaction Score
I know I harp on this, but it can't be understated how much Dorka's horrendous FT shooting hurts us in big moments.

She just misses entirely too many FT's.

Reaction Score
I see Aaliyah's T as a turning point in the game. How did she earn that?

Reaction Score
she also had ice on her neck during the game while on the bench. She has something that is not going away. We were waiting for Caroline and Azzi to come back and save us. I don't think it is happening. I think the starting five now realize it as well. Has them discouraged. But still time to rest and regroup.

Reaction Score
He did. Didn't you watch the entire presser? He absolutely said the Coaches weren't getting their point across. He literally said the coaches did a *t job. But don't discount the value of expressing disappointment with the team. He didn't call them names as some on here have suggested. He pointed out the team's shortcomings which there are. He wants them to prove him wrong down the road. He always looks at the big picture. Time will tell how it plays out.
Geno is a realist. If you dissect the game or recent series of games, how do you improve???? Good players also do this and relish trying to improve. We have the bones to play against any team and have proved it often. The short bench and managing minutes is the challenge. More determined starts and fewer lulls possible. Don't count us out.

Geno's comments about the coaches says a lot. This is a real concern impacting recruiting, retention and player growth. That area needs a serious review but will have to wait until later in the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom