St Johns Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

St Johns Postgame Thread

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure what was more impressive - the offense or the defense.

Make no mistake - with the return of Paige this team could be really NASTY.

Who wants to step up to play us? With Paige back, the selection committee has much to contemplate.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
12 minutes, 8 points for Paige was a perfect re-entry game for her. What was impressive is UConn held an opponent to 38 points back to back. Evina did not take a shot tonight, but had 10 assists and 7 rebounds. She gave the team what they needed tonight.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
SJU averages 74 ppg. Tonight, they got halfway there.

I thought that Paige played the role of Willis Reed, and Azzi was Walt Frazier.

In terms of Liya playing as she did last year, a friend called her Thor of Yore!

Reaction Score
200.gif

Reaction Score
A pleasure to watch. Geno is absolutely right. Paige is Paige and everyone "got a little bit better" except that the "little bit" is a glaring understatement. They got better by a lot. Azzi and Caroline have both had to put the team on their back as freshmen not to mention what Evina has done for this team. Liv is playing her career best ball and Dorka has emerged as a truly solid player. Nika has become even more of a defensive menace and continues to hit shots. CW is even stronger going to the hole and has been very confident in her 3s. Liah is still refining her basketball skills but that athleticism is just more and more dominant. Put it all together and you get tonight. Although it's two ships passing in the night, the thought occurs that we actually got better as a team with all these injuries, except for Aubrey, then we would have been otherwise.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This game was the first time in a long time that UConn played what I think of as UConn basketball. I'm talking about those plays when a big gets a rebound, all five touch the ball, and they score with the ball hardly touching the court. There were several of those this evening. Beautiful choreography.

Reaction Score
really fun game to watch. Happy for Paige and the rest of the team.

Not to start anything but I really like Paige off the bench alongside the CD,EW, and Dorka, leaving in CW or Azzi depending on who is playing good.

Reaction Score
Our defense was the best offense. We performed clever bounce passes through traffic and solid finishes at the rim.
We have so many combinations to address what an opponent might throw at us it's amazing. Hope we continue to play ahead early in every game, that kind of pressure with our bench will be tough to beat.

I can't remember when that our second five might be stronger than the starting five. What's an opposing coach to do???? We have two top ten teams in one! The joy they are now playing with is a pleasure to experience.
UConn has three top 25 ranked teams in three major sports. Basketball (2) hockey (1). Where else do you see that??

Reaction Score
When Paige brought the ball up the court just before the end of the 1st quarter, right after crossing the half court line, she changed direction quickly and my heart fell to the floor for a second- it looked so eerily similar to the the move where she hurt herself- and I thought she must have tweaked something. But fortunately nothing was wrong, but was I nervous in the moment. She looked good to me, tentative as you might expect, but 100% healthy.

Reaction Score
Many a game one player has been the one whom we wouldn't have won without. Not this one; a true team effort.

Azzi showed off the shooting skills that were her calling card, played good D and put all on notice that yeah, this is a future AA.

AE over the last few games has broken out of the puzzling funk she was in so much of the season. She has so much talent and it is fantastic to see her playing so well.

Evina - what can you say about that woman. In any given game she seems to know what her best role will be. Need points? OK. Need someone feed the hot hands? Sure. Need someone to settle things down? On it. I can't tell you how much I like her game. In the 3rd Q, she has no points, is heading for the basket on a breakaway and...stops, has a cup of coffee until Caroline catches up and gives her the score. Clearly in an assist state of mind!

CW was solid and played within herself. She isn't a player the D can ignore.

Caroline also solid all around - scored points, rebounded, forced some turnovers. Early in the game, with all the fireworks going off, I thought she might get lost in shuffle. No sir, she did not. I did note that after the game, during the Geno interview, she could be seen behind Geno throwing some red nurf balls into the stands. Not the most athletic baseball throw - she can work on that.

Nike gave her typical Nika effort. Whether she starts or not, scores or not, she makes the team better when on the floor. As much talent as we now have, no way she gets religated to a secondary role.

Paith no longer looks like a project. She has a fluid game and can make a bloody layup. She is getting to the point that having her in for 15 minutes because of other bigs foul issues won't make me nervous. Even against teams better that St. Johns.

Remember all those years when the bench mostly just got outscored by the other teams bench in the 4Q? And you didn't see them at all in tight games? Those days are over. Piath and Amari are the closest thing we have to deep bench and they are way better than that.

Oh! Did I mention that Paige played for awhile and looked very Paigie? She didn't look to be shaking any rust off and seemed to be having a good old time doing what she loves best.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Who was I worried about?
That the Bueckers effect would bring insecurity rather than invigoration to whom?

The pregame crew picked Caroline.
I fretted about Christyn....with a side of ???

Open the envelope please
And the answer is....no one...All ships were lifted.

Great game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom