St. John's Post Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

St. John's Post Game Thread

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Jim Jackson was a bigger version of Castle in HS and OSU.
I would have 100% agreed with that comp but then today when Jackson was interviewing Castle, Steph looked about an inch taller. Jackson was very good. Didn’t he single handily beat us him by himself in a ncaa tourney game?

Reaction Score
Castle makes this team a problem.

Clingan gets body control. Less fouls. We stay healthy. OMG.

Reaction Score
First in close to 20 years will really be worth savoring. I’m a sucker for knowing where you come from and your history.
Speaking of not knowing your history, I forgot Kemba/2011

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Speaking of not knowing your history, I forgot Kemba/2011
That happens…but it wasn’t a regular season/tourney double. Those are the most satisfying and memorable.

Reaction Score
Castle not forcing threes only shooting them when in rhythm and feet set. He’s tough as nails on both ends but I was most impressed with one play that stood out. Luis, who backed down both Diarra and Spencer on the low block, tried to do the same to Stephon 2nd half to no avail. Stephon held his ground, didn’t commit to any of his pivot ball fakes and made him hit the bottom of the rim. Absolutely tremendous defense which he brings every game, he’s growing before our eyes.

Great win. Spencer huge shots, Tristen made big plays and their team rebounding was fun to watch. They scraped and clawed for every 50/50 ball and also made it hell for Soriano to do anything with the ball on the block.

Next….Butler is hot!

Reaction Score
I would have 100% agreed with that comp but then today when Jackson was interviewing Castle, Steph looked about an inch taller. Jackson was very good. Didn’t he single handily beat us him by himself in a ncaa tourney game?
He did. It was halftime of a 2nd round game when Fatso declared we were playing as well as anyone in the tourney. OSU proceeded to blow us out in the 2nd half……..

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Jim Jackson was a bigger version of Castle in HS and OSU.
I'm going with the Castle - Brandon Roy comp., 'cept Steph still has his meniscus.

Reaction Score
MSG is the House that Calhoun built.

He won Big East Tournament titles there in 1990, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2004 and 2011.
He won the 1988 NIT title there.
The Ray Allen game...

Reaction Score
jackie chan GIF
Newton plays drunken master style basketball
He is lose with the ball. But most of the time it’s drunken master control!

Reaction Score
Some observations:
1. Jim Jackson was spot on in assessing how the game has slowed for Castle. There's less hesitation in his decision making, and every move seems to have a purpose. He's going to be a heck of a player (more so).
2. Newton was good again, but he always has a couple of plays that make me scratch my head. Be it a ill-advised 3-pointer or dribbling into traffic, jumping, and throwing a blind pass leading to a TO. AS good as Tristen is, I think he can be better if he economized his shots and distributed more (which he's very good at).
3. Samson's lack of girth was apparent on a couple of putback attempts against thick-bodied players like Soriano and Ledlum. I'm still looking to see some of Samson's somewhat hyped 3-pt. shooting.
4. I think we benefitted from St. John's not utilizing Soriano more, considering Donovan was in foul trouble. Soriano clearly had an advantage on Samson.
5. Luis Jr. on St. John's looks to be a nice player. If he sticks around, I think Pitino can develop him.
6. Alleyne looked pretty good in the few minutes he played, I think Pitino should have gave him more minutes.

Overall, this was like a breath of fresh air compared to the pace of the Providence game.
The game is much more fun to watch with a great announcer in Jimmy Jackson(Donny couold take some pointers). I loved they he also stated that Castle might of been hesitant at first due to his injury and how to feel confidence as he is still a baby in his career. He needs to learn how to get over these setbacks.

Reaction Score
The game is much more fun to watch with a great announcer in Jimmy Jackson(Donny couold take some pointers). I loved they he also stated that Castle might of been hesitant at first due to his injury and how to feel confidence as he is still a baby in his career. He needs to learn how to get over these setbacks.
I’d take Jackson or Raff teams for every broadcast. I’d be ok never having Donnie on another UConn broadcast.

Reaction Score
I’d take Jackson or Raff teams for every broadcast. I’d be ok never having Donnie on another UConn broadcast.
He tries to be evenhanded.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I'll go with Steph wearing basketball shoes amd JJ wearing dres shoes and life taking a bit off JJ's height. LOL.
Jackson was listed at 6'5" or 6'6".
I am certain from what I have seen with Castle around other players that Steph is a "legit" 6'6".

Reaction Score
Cold dead hands. It is UConn and then everyone else. These past 2 games have solidified what I thought from the get go. Not the X game, but the game you play at home, and no one has it going and find a way to pull it out, or that game on the road where they are so ready to eat your lunch, and our boys are like eat this. There is no panic in our boys, no doubt creeps in. I think they expect to win, and I say that in the most positive way.

Reaction Score
  • Spencer and Castle were total DOGS today.
  • Castle got a horrible whistle in the first half. He went to the line a grand total of zero times the first half, which is wild with how much he was getting held and hit on drives.
  • This is like the worst possible matchup for Samson. Just not strong enough for Soriano. I think it’s pretty clear this will be a position that gets some attention in the portal ahead of next year.
  • Dominating the boards while missing Karaban and having Clingan plagued by foul trouble is a testament to the guards. Big hat tip to Newton there especially.
  • Diarra was just off today. He’s always been pretty mercurial, thankfully this year these days are few and far between.
  • Heck of a day at the stripe
  • I don’t think I’ve ever watched a broadcast team get the names of the players mixed up more than this crew today. I lost count after a while. Diarra/Castle and Luis/ledlum seemed to be the most common mix-ups. And neither pair really looks that similar.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I had irrationally high hopes for Spencer and he's managed to completely surpass them in all respects.

Everything he showed in his highlights video from Rutgers he does all the time.
Really makes you think we were two injured toes (or maybe just one) away from a win at Allen FH.

Reaction Score
Soriano had 4 rebounds and 6 points and Johnson could not measure up to him???? Say what?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom