St. John's Post Game Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

St. John's Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
I absolutely LOVE this team, they are tough as nails and play for each other every game. Big things coming this March..

Reaction Score
That was the first rim run for a dunk I saw from Clingan in a while. I think he is healthy. But he needs to keep his arms up. Nothing good even happens when his arms are below his shoulders.

Samson needs to gain strength. However some of it attitude. He needs to go harder to the rim.

Reaction Score
Look up Newtons numbers. He was quietly VERY good
I know this is like complaining about that birthmark Cindy Crawford had on her face (I'm dating myself), but the turnovers Newton had were killing me. He had 6 today and many of them were very careless. I think many of them were from fatigue. He's carrying a heavy load and playing a lot of minutes lately. But it was good to see that not affect his free throw shooting, which was lights out today.

Again, I'm not complaining but just pointing out his one negative today.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
At least a half dozen times a game he looks out of control and trows his head around like he caught a left jab. I think now the refs just always assume it was a head "flop" even when he absorbs a foul.
Well, it ain’t working.

Reaction Score
UConn has so many weapons in the backcourt it's laughable and a difference-making center in Clingan to balance things out. If Castle can play like this or close to this moving forward, then the formula for a repeat for UConn seems not only possible, but maybe even likely. This team is playing at a level that last season's title team arguably never reached.

Interesting comment.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
UConn has so many weapons in the backcourt it's laughable and a difference-making center in Clingan to balance things out. If Castle can play like this or close to this moving forward, then the formula for a repeat for UConn seems not only possible, but maybe even likely. This team is playing at a level that last season's title team arguably never reached.

Interesting comment.

Yeah, not sure about that.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yeah, not sure about that.
I can understand the sentiment, but also disagree to a point. We didn't win the league, we didn't win the BET, and it wasn't really until the NCAAs when last year's team became ridiculously awesome. This squad has the opportunity to do all of that, but they've got a pretty big challenge to be as ridiculously awesome as Sanogo/AJ/Hawk & co. were in the NCAAs.

Reaction Score
That was the first rim run for a dunk I saw from Clingan in a while. I think he is healthy. But he needs to keep his arms up. Nothing good even happens when his arms are below his shoulders.

Samson needs to gain strength. However some of it attitude. He needs to go harder to the rim.
Broken record, but juice may be his only solution. I'll use myself as an example. I had a basketball body I'm my younger days. I tried every supplement and weight training program possible and got stronger, but could never bulk up. Never juiced, but I wasn't someone with athletics in my future. This is a half joking post, but some guys just can't bulk up.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
W/min

IMG_3942.jpeg

Reaction Score

Watching duke unc
Bacott unc center just stayed put hands up against Filipowski and got the stop no foul
If DC and SJ can do that, changes us again

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Halftime adjustments including tightening things up on defense, passing up good shots for better ones, getting to the foul line and making free throws, and dominating the boards were the differences in the game. With that, when we began making it a war in the paint it loosened things up on the perimeter for some 3's. Perhaps what's most impressive is how unselfish these guys are, and their overall court awareness and toughness. I feel like St. John's connected on some punches but once we made those adjustments we were able to assert ourselves in all phases of the game, pull past them, and get the victory going away.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
The stats at the top of the thread show a final score of 70-60. Might want to find a better place to get the stats after a game.
ESPN. They are good for something.

Reaction Score
9 points between two BIGs at least 6'-10" tall. How is that possible? Somehow that has to change. Imagine if they could combine for 15 to 20 per game...

Reaction Score
In a game where we had no Karaban, and Clingan had 4 points, 4 fouls, and 5 boards, the rest of the team stepped up. Espeically Castle, and Spencer, but nice game from Newton too. Great FT shooting and 3 point shooting. Oh, and we beat the spread of 10 or 11. Very well done!
Newt flirted with another triple double

Reaction Score
At least a half dozen times a game he looks out of control and throws his head around like he caught a left jab. I think now the refs just always assume it was a head "flop" even when he absorbs a foul.

Well, it ain’t working.

He's had 27 free-throws the last two games and has made 20. He's working the Refs, initiating contact and it's working.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Lol, we played Steph for many minutes at the 5 and we extended our lead.

What a ridiculously good second half.
Was an uphill battle in the first half with the “road whistle”
This is a real valid discovery as we start to head into the stretch. Mr. Castle is Mr Calm under pressure. Just loving to see him shine in the last two games. He is so disciplined and now getting confidence. Now we also have someone who can help at the 5!! So proud of them closing out the game in MSG. Ridiculous free throw shooting under pressure. Guys stepping up big time in the Big Apple. What a team!!!

Reaction Score
If Steph Castle plays like this rest of the season , combined with deep run. He should be in top 5 pick convo , if not higher.

Him becoming a good mid range and 3pt option, quite literally makes a complete player across the board. No weaknesses and has the absolute best mindset to go with it.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
One item I want to add:

When they announced the players from St John's 1998-1999 team (elite eight) I said to my buddy "It woulg be great if as soon as this is done they say 'Now we will allow our visitors the opportunity to celebrate their 1998-1999 team'". It would habe been cold-hearted as hell but it would have been perfect.

A St John's fan sitting near me glared at me when I said it.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
9 points between two BIGs at least 6'-10" tall. How is that possible? Somehow that has to change. Imagine if they could combine for 15 to 20 per game...
It has. We've added Castle as a 5 option if necessary. We seem to have endless bullets for the chambers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom