St. John's Post Game Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

St. John's Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
How?

They are 9-3 (0-1) and haven't beaten anyone. They beat Citadel by 4, a terrible 4-8 Vanderbilt and lost to a below average Loyola Chicago.

Even if the typical uconn fan hides their disdain for bc (because screw them) their first 12 games are not impressive in the slightest. Objectively Not a resume that jumps out.

Neither is Houston

Reaction Score
How?

They are 9-3 (0-1) and haven't beaten anyone. They beat Citadel by 4, a terrible 4-8 Vanderbilt and lost to a below average Loyola Chicago.

Even if the typical uconn fan hides their disdain for bc (because screw them) their first 12 games are not impressive in the slightest. Objectively Not a resume that jumps out.
They should get some easy conference wins in that mid major conference they play in

Reaction Score
I agree on all accounts. We were awful against Seton Hall. We didn't do anything well all game, and we looked flat and embarrassing, and the refs had nothing to do with it.

This is the St Johns post game thread
I was responding to a guy who said we lost against the Hall due to the refs. In THIS thread. Try and keep up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How?

Because they beat that powerhouse SJU

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I was very pleased with the win last night. We are used to winning because of our talent and our offensive schemes. Last night we won because we were the tougher team and made winning plays in the last 4 minutes, especially Castle and Newton.
I agree.
Final 3½ minutes were scored 8-2.

6 point halftime deficit, and St. John's scored the first basket after the break.

UConn regrouped and eventually took the lead...and then lost it on consecutive 3s...and then regained the lead and retained it. Tell me you haven't wanted to see that.

"It never should have been necessary," wasn't on the menu last night, and it's more certainly not on the menu a day later.

Reaction Score
I wonder if the staff should try to use some of those Andre Jackson plays that we saw late in the season, for Castle. Especially if he’s not much of a threat to shoot from outside right now. Teams are going to end up sagging off him and daring him to shoot. His driving ability is pretty near elite, but they might need to put him in some different spots to find open shooters.
Put him in the dunker spot.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
On Johnson's late game dunk. I didn't see his feet, I just know he covered a lot of ground without dribbling

I was waiting for it to be waived off, momentarily, before resuming my celebration
I think the refs were as surprised as we were that he had so clear a path to the basket and felt it would be unfair to wave it off on a mere technicality. He wasn't acting with malice or undue privilege. And thus The Togostep was born. I don't think it will catch on widely like Euro...

Reaction Score
I was responding to a guy who said we lost against the Hall due to the refs. In THIS thread. Try and keep up.
My post was responding to the second half of your post "we need to look in the mirror".
But you never answered the question:
How is you dumping on everyone's good time going to help ?
What can the boneyard do ?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
A St John's fan thought Spencer was getting calls on non fouls? For the first ten minutes of the game it looked like it was open season on Spencer, they could mug him all they wanted and get away with it. To a lesser extent they also did that to Newton for the entire game.
Rewatched the game and Soriano had at least 3 fouls that weren't called. He hip checks with his lower body while putting both hands up except his hands are never vertical. Karaban gets called on that a lot

Reaction Score
Um, no Einstein. He was saying FAU isn’t bad just cuz they lost to Bryant just like SJU isn’t bad just cuz they lost to BC. You might be the dumbest person on here. WOW
Lol wow go from zero to rage quickly. I suspect that thin skin comes from a lifetime of being a step behind intellectually.

But I respect your non-stop doom and gloom about our Huskies. Some people get off on negative energy and you are apparently one those. I will leave you to your rooting interest in seeing UConn bomb out this season so you can have happiness.

Last year must have been tough for you. Condolences.

Reaction Score
Rewatched the game and Soriano had at least 3 fouls that weren't called. He hip checks with his lower body while putting both hands up except his hands are never vertical. Karaban gets called on that a lot

To be fair we also fouled them about 30x uncalled. Big East refs have a habit of letting things go early and then trying to catch up and stop the chippiness, rather than keeping control early and loosening up when the game is close late.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
To be fair we also fouled them about 30x uncalled. Big East refs have a habit of letting things go early and then trying to catch up and stop the chippiness, rather than keeping control early and loosening up when the game is close late.
Yes, and the difference, I think, is that UConn commits a lot of soft contact touch fouls and Seton Hall, PC, St. John’s hit you in the mouth. Our team expects a lot of soft stuff will be uncalled, but that the grabs and hard fouls will be called. It seems to really confuse our players.

Reaction Score
There was about a 7 minute stretch early in the 2nd half where we got every call. And yet some are complaining about us never getting calls. The complaining about the refs is really getting old. We had Pat Driscoll vs SJU. He is the best ref in college basketball in my opinion.

Reaction Score
There was about a 7 minute stretch early in the 2nd half where we got every call. And yet some are complaining about us never getting calls. The complaining about the refs is really getting old. We had Pat Driscoll vs SJU. He is the best ref in college basketball in my opinion.
Was that the ref having to clean up a bunch of calls in the second half?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Big East refs have a habit of letting things go early and then trying to catch up and stop the chippiness, rather than keeping control early and loosening up when the game is close late.
Agreed, and I hate the entire notion of refs metering the game. It makes the refs an active participant in the contest, like swing voters. If they simply called the fouls they see all the time, the players will figure it out and adapt. The idea that some things can be "let go" based on a perception of context is total BS to me.

Reaction Score
I'm not impressed...YET...the chance is there but he isn't a game changing player as expected. I can't see him still the top guy for freshman of the year at this juncture

Reaction Score
calls were questionable on both ends at times for sure But the one official who kept getting his calls corrected was so bad I almost felt bad for him.

Reaction Score
I'm not impressed...YET...the chance is there but he isn't a game changing player as expected. I can't see him still the top guy for freshman of the year at this juncture
If you mean Castle that’s fair but we should remember the injury did not help

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Lol wow go from zero to rage quickly. I suspect that thin skin comes from a lifetime of being a step behind intellectually.

But I respect your non-stop doom and gloom about our Huskies. Some people get off on negative energy and you are apparently one those. I will leave you to your rooting interest in seeing UConn bomb out this season so you can have happiness.

Last year must have been tough for you. Condolences.
Just put him on ignore. You won't miss anything meaningful.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom