St. John's Post Game Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

St. John's Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
One good thing I’d like to point out.

How cool and smart it was to have a game at XL during the holiday break. I personally saw a lot of people who don’t live in CT back home for the break at the game and it seems like it was super loud and packed because of more people who were probably doing the same.

Great job by the schedulers for getting this one at XL! Perfect timing for the holidays and I’m sure that made helped a lot of family and friends build some very memorable moments together.
Loved the Fox overhead scans of Hartford. Saturday night during a holiday week with a tough win was beyond great!

Reaction Score
Per Hurley post game, the team had 1 practice to prep for the game after finding out there was no Don. To me, that makes the team win, and especially what SJ did last night, more impressive/gutsy.

The good news is, the coaches and team now have a long layoff, and 2 games worth of BE game film, to assess what the weaknesses are, what we need to retool knowing Clingan is gone for a while, and fine tune things for the rest of the conference slog. They dont need to recreate the wheel but I would imagine there are tweaks that can maximize Castle’s skill set, improve the offense against various zone looks, create a legit 5-out set for when Karaban is at the 5 when needed, etc.

This staff has proven they can adjust- they now have a decent runway of rest/practice time to make whatever’s changes are needed to ride out the storm til Clingan is back.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So I missed a bit last night, watched the whole game this morning. Honestly it seems worse than it is. The problems:
1. Alex isn’t shooting. Normal Alex is at least +6 points last night.
2. Newton is being abused and is also not shooting well. He doesn’t seem to be responding well to not getting the calls. Has to adapt and get the confidence back. Normal Newton is about +8 last night.
3. Diarra was terrible. I think he’s falling into the “I have to do something when I’m in“ trap. That something needs to start with defense, then passing and distributing. Scoring is way down the list.
4. Castle is in ISO mode. His rep is as a facilitator and I’m not seeing enough of that. His ISO moves tend to lead to doubles and turnovers. His one sweet move he stepped on the baseline. Still he battles on D and the boards. Would like to see him cutting without the ball instead of just attacking off the dribble.

The talent is there.

Reaction Score
Hurley called out DC's fitness last night in the presser. That was very eye-opening. Hurley has a lot of Calhoun in him.

Reaction Score
We are the only reigning National Champion. You think that doesn't bring something special and totally unique?
I think it’s completely overplayed. The refs don’t have it out for us and every team doesn’t play their best game against us. Sometimes we just stink, like against the Hall. Need to stop trying to make excuses and look in the mirror.

Reaction Score
I think it’s completely overplayed. The refs don’t have it out for us and every team doesn’t play their best game against us. Sometimes we just stink, like against the Hall. Need to stop trying to make excuses and look in the mirror.
OK, we stink. We all agree that we are a bad basketball team. You win.
Now what ? What should the boneyard do about this ? How can the boneyard help the team ? Is enjoying the win and trying to find things to be happy about after a win hurting the team ?

Reaction Score
Per Hurley post game, the team had 1 practice to prep for the game after finding out there was no Don. To me, that makes the team win, and especially what SJ did last night, more impressive/gutsy.

The good news is, the coaches and team now have a long layoff, and 2 games worth of BE game film, to assess what the weaknesses are, what we need to retool knowing Clingan is gone for a while, and fine tune things for the rest of the conference slog. They dont need to recreate the wheel but I would imagine there are tweaks that can maximize Castle’s skill set, improve the offense against various zone looks, create a legit 5-out set for when Karaban is at the 5 when needed, etc.

This staff has proven they can adjust- they now have a decent runway of rest/practice time to make whatever’s changes are needed to ride out the storm til Clingan is back.
Good lord, such a voice of reason!! On the money Bazz2014. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Now what ? What should the boneyard do about this ? How can the boneyard help the team ? Is enjoying the win and trying to find things to be happy about after a win hurting the team ?
Nope, see Bazz2014 for cool, calm and reasoned words. Stay away from gb if you don't want to be bummed out!!

Reaction Score
So I missed a bit last night, watched the whole game this morning. Honestly it seems worse than it is. The problems:
1. Alex isn’t shooting. Normal Alex is at least +6 points last night.
2. Newton is being abused and is also not shooting well. He doesn’t seem to be responding well to not getting the calls. Has to adapt and get the confidence back. Normal Newton is about +8 last night.
3. Diarra was terrible. I think he’s falling into the “I have to do something when I’m in“ trap. That something needs to start with defense, then passing and distributing. Scoring is way down the list.
4. Castle is in ISO mode. His rep is as a facilitator and I’m not seeing enough of that. His ISO moves tend to lead to doubles and turnovers. His one sweet move he stepped on the baseline. Still he battles on D and the boards. Would like to see him cutting without the ball instead of just attacking off the dribble.

The talent is there.
Yeah, it seems to me issue with UConn guards generally (1.Cam, 2.Newton, 3. Diarra 4. Ball) is they arent pushing the ball quickly enough and not initially attacking. Then Castle sees this and thinks; “I’m the best one-on-one player on the floor so I need to “ and he forces the issue AFTER the half court defense is set. Need to transition more quickly and look to Drive and create at beginning of each possession to at a minimum stretch the defense.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Okay, for the first time this season, I’m officially worried.

Earlier, I thought of this team as a great offensive team, able to work inside out, with great outside shooting and freshmen that would be developing as the season goes on. The Clingan injury changes a lot of things. Three point shooting is a genuine concern, and none of the freshmen are developing.

Karaban – this is perhaps the biggest surprise for me. His shot is so off right now. He’s not just going through a streak where they’re not dropping, they don’t look good at all. I’m thinking the finger has to be causing that. This is affecting his overall offensive rhythm. And he’s getting exploited defensively.

Spencer – Confidence in his shot is not there like it was. He’s not hunting it like he was before. Great effort by him overall though. I like that he recognizes times where he has to try and create something when the team is not going well.

Newton – I love Newton. I have said since early last year that this team goes as Newton goes. He’s the one guy on the team that can create offense on his own. Singlehandedly kept us in the Kansas game. Two limited games in a row though. Seems to have lost confidence in his three point shooting. Even his free throw shooting has been off?! He needs to provide offensive toughness when things are not going well. Did just enough of it to win tonight, especially late. Smart foul at the end.

Diarra - Seems to be maxing out his potential. I think his upside is limited, but he has played tough. Smart tough dude.

Johnson - I have never seen the upside of Johnson that many have on this board. He’s been a pleasant surprise to me this season. Very happy for him, great story. Great game from him tonight.

The freshmen- NONE of them have improved. This is concerning..

Castle – Just simply has not shown he is an NBA pick. A non-shooter who isn’t creating anything off the dribble. Was ineffective in the middle against the zone tonight. You can see the ability, and I think he will find himself. We absolutely need it. He showed some things late in the game tonight.

Ball – Great athlete that completely lacks confidence right now.

Stewart and Ross – Have not shown enough to even get off the bench. Hurley needs to develop them.

Singare – I thought he provided some decent minutes tonight. Some light there.
How do you exhibit unofficial worry?
Or does the "official" designation have some sanctioning body?

Reaction Score
One good thing I’d like to point out.

How cool and smart it was to have a game at XL during the holiday break. I personally saw a lot of people who don’t live in CT back home for the break at the game and it seems like it was super loud and packed because of more people who were probably doing the same.

Great job by the schedulers for getting this one at XL! Perfect timing for the holidays and I’m sure that made helped a lot of family and friends build some very memorable moments together.
Yeah it was my one time to watch a game as I visit in CT for family during the holidays and this is the one game they played then. We had seats in Section 202 and DD. Those seats sucked so in the 2nd half we moved down to empty seats in Section 114 about 6-7 rows down. A lot better game and more connected to the game moving down. Great crowd and really loud!!!!

Reaction Score
He was comparing St. John's to Bryant not FAU, but I suspect that reading comprehension is not one of your strong suits.
Um, no Einstein. He was saying FAU isn’t bad just cuz they lost to Bryant just like SJU isn’t bad just cuz they lost to BC. You might be the dumbest person on here. WOW

Reactions: MJ1
Reaction Score
I said sometimes we stink. Try reading a little bit more. Anyone who thinks the refs cost us the game against Seton Hall didn’t watch the game. We were objectively horrible. Got punched in the mouth and decided to stay on the mat instead of get up and do something about it.

Why is that so hard for so many people to understand and admit. Even our coach called it an embarrassment.

Reaction Score
I said sometimes we stink. Try reading a little bit more. Anyone who thinks the refs cost us the game against Seton Hall didn’t watch the game. We were objectively horrible. Got punched in the mouth and decided to stay on the mat instead of get up and do something about it.

Why is that so hard for so many people to understand and admit. Even our coach called it an embarrassment.
I agree on all accounts. We were awful against Seton Hall. We didn't do anything well all game, and we looked flat and embarrassing, and the refs had nothing to do with it.

This is the St Johns post game thread

Reaction Score
Our performance is unacceptable it’s ok to say that we need to build off of this. It was a gritty win we showed heart now what do we do from here that determines how we do this year.

Reaction Score
Don’t know I would the words not happy, this win is more along the lines of not performing well enough because we’re better then this, we have a standard of excellence here.

Reaction Score
Everyone pack it up. We gave it a good run, but beating St. John's is just not good enough to keep the lights on. See you next year.

Reaction Score
I was very pleased with the win last night. We are used to winning because of our talent and our offensive schemes. Last night we won because we were the tougher team and made winning plays in the last 4 minutes, especially Castle and Newton.

Reaction Score
BC might be a tournament team this year.
How?

They are 9-3 (0-1) and haven't beaten anyone. They beat Citadel by 4, a terrible 4-8 Vanderbilt and lost to a below average Loyola Chicago.

Even if the typical uconn fan hides their disdain for bc (because screw them) their first 12 games are not impressive in the slightest. Objectively Not a resume that jumps out.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
How?

They are 9-3 (0-1) and haven't beaten anyone. They beat Citadel by 4 and lost to a below average Loyola Chicago.
Beat St. John’s by more than we did. Beat Harvard. They might be a bubble team. Certainly the best team they’ve had in some time.

Reaction Score
Beat St. John’s by more than we did. Beat Harvard. They might be a bubble team. Certainly the best team they’ve had in some time.
Harvard, meh. They haven't been good in a few years, two .500 seasons in a row with 5-9 ivy records the past two years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom