St. John's Grad Transfer - Darien Williams Considering UConn > Landed @ Nevada | Page 7 | The Boneyard

St. John's Grad Transfer - Darien Williams Considering UConn > Landed @ Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree we are in a messy situation at the moment. But williams not coming here means absolutely ZERO to me. Idek why there is still a thread on him
It normally would mean nothing to me either and under normal circumstances I wouldn't want a player like this but we have like 4 or 5 roster spots to fill and we don't have a single proven frontcourt player for next year's roster at the moment.

Reaction Score
If the staff is actively recruiting this kid and can't lock him down things are worse than I thought. I for one hope the staff decided to pass. I've seen him play and there's a TON of guys as good or better than him in high school or grad transfers still available right now. Not to mention Europe where we no longer recruit.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Ppl didnt want this guy, now they are complaining about him not coming. The boneyard in a nutshell

haha, so true

and if you don't know next year is going to suck, you're an idiot too

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It normally would mean nothing to me either and under normal circumstances I wouldn't want a player like this but we have like 4 or 5 roster spots to fill and we don't have a single proven frontcourt player for next year's roster at the moment.

Yah, a kid like Diarra might red shirt this year, but his recruitment fills serious needs -> practice players.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
haha, so true

and if you don't know next year is going to suck, you're an idiot too

How dare people be upset that the prior season sucked and so will the upcoming one as well!

Reaction Score
Who is everyone else? Blake Harris? Thats the only guy we've openly been on that went elsewhere. Anderson committed. Diarra and this kid havent committed anywhere yet.

EDIT: And Cam Johnson my apologies
One thing I thought we could all agree on is that the staff has reached out to every available player. This board is confounding often times.

Reaction Score
Don't think this guy is an impact player by any stretch and if he did commit here the actual excitement over it around these parts would be comical but..... we need bodies, you know to actually field a team. The grad transfer is zero risk as a stop gap seeing how next year is pretty much already a lost cause at this point it's the only way to go with the 2017 class all but locked up. So not mad just at some point add a couple bodies for 2018 eh?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Just because a kid is a "low tier" talent relative to what'a immediately available and chooses not to go to UConn, a program who all of us here obviously think is already above the tier of program that this kid may be entitled to, doesn't necessarily illustrate our demise, my personal feelings on our current predicament aside.

There's a million factors that go into choosing where you will be playing, especially when that decision is effectively only a few months away and the clock is quickly ticking, which is the case for all of the late uncommitted 2017 prospects and declared grad transfers. One of the biggest factors this late into the game for most of these guys is relationship with the coaching staff and returning players, and that can only really be won with putting in the time recruiting. We really don't have that luxury when considering the circumstances, we are jumping on all these kids hard and late and to a low level kid it can reek of suspicious desperation from an elite name.

I don't think it's fair or properly placed criticism on the staff for missing on a guy like Darien Williams, even if he's not the most dazzling prospect, and I think that even goes for a guy like Mamoudou 2. So what he has exchanged a significant amount of chit chat with Chillious in the past while he they were associated with Washington, that doesn't make MD a lock to follow him to UConn in the slightest, there's a ton of other variables at play. If you want to direct your aim at the real source of pain it's not the current staffs ability to recruit or close on these last remaining kids, or maybe even UConn's reputation on the recruiting trail currently (I hope), but our coaching staff's obliviousness to what was in store this coming offseason, just ill-preparedness not a good look.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Just because a kid is a "low tier" talent relative to what'a immediately available and chooses not to go to UConn, a program who all of us here obviously think is already above the tier of program that this kid may be entitled to, doesn't necessarily illustrate our demise, my personal feelings on our current predicament aside.

There's a million factors that go into choosing where you will be playing, especially when that decision is effectively only a few months away and the clock is quickly ticking, which is the case for all of the late uncommitted 2017 prospects and declared grad transfers. One of the biggest factors this late into the game for most of these guys is relationship with the coaching staff and returning players, and that can only really be won with putting in the time recruiting. We really don't have that luxury when considering the circumstances.

I don't think it's fair or properly placed criticism on the staff for missing on a guy like Darien Williams, even if he's not the most dazzling prospect, and I think that even goes for a guy like Mamoudou 2. So what he has exchanged a significant amount of chit chat with Chillious in the past while he they were associated with Washington, that doesn't make MD a lock to follow him to UConn in the slightest, there's a ton of other variables at play. If you want to direct your aim at the real source of pain it's not the current staffs ability to recruit or close on these last remaining kids, or maybe even UConn's reputation on the recruiting trail currently (I hope), but our coaching staff's obliviousness to what was in store this coming offseason, just ill-preparedness not a good look.
Here! Here!

Reaction Score

There's a million factors that go into choosing where you will be playing, especially when that decision is effectively only a few months away and the clock is quickly ticking, which is the case for all of the late uncommitted 2017 prospects and declared grad transfers. One of the biggest factors this late into the game for most of these guys is relationship with the coaching staff and returning players, and that can only really be won with putting in the time recruiting. We really don't have that luxury when considering the circumstances, we are jumping on all these kids hard and late and to a low level kid it can reek of suspicious desperation from an elite name.

Agreed with the whole post, up until the last sentence. I think what happened this off-season has surprised everyone. I think the only one with rumors or there was an inkling of transferring was Jackson, whom easily could have been made up for. Enoch and Durham were inline for huge minutes, and decided they didn't want to stick it out. There are just some things you cannot prepare for, and the mass exodus this off-season is one of them. Plus, there really isn't much out there in terms of replacing these guys with UConn talent that also have any interest in being here.

At this point, give me some grad transfers to fill out the roster and Daniels (Utah transfer) and let's look forward to 2018 recruiting, because we need a HUGE 2018 class. I still think we have enough on next years roster to surprise some people.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Looking forward to the excuses for this miss. Crowded front court perhaps?
I could care less about not getting this kid. We have a frontcourt full of three star recruits, we don't need another.

pj

Reaction Score
We could only take one of Onuorah or Williams. Would be interesting to know which one the staff preferred.

Reaction Score
Once we got DO we were out of for Williams. Neither of them are dynamic players. Just big guys who fill a position and have experience. I actually think DO is a better overall basketball player for our needs than Williams. Now focus on the other misses if you want to find fault on the recruiting but not here.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I wonder what DOs numbers would have looked like as a junior in Williams place? Gotta take competition into account.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'll wager that this kid chose Nevada because Nevada was his best offer.

Not everyone who visits has an offer and he really never appeared back on the radar after he visited.

Kinda seems like they kicked the tires and moved on. I read that he thinks he has a second year of eligibilty left and perhaps some schools decided that the stop-gap option was less appealing if it tried to stay on past its expiration date.

Reactions: pj
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger