St. Johns C Chris Obekpa transferring | The Boneyard

St. Johns C Chris Obekpa transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I don't know anything about him as a person but assuming he isn't a cancer, I don't see why not. We have an open scholarship this year so him sitting out wouldn't hurt. Having the extra body in practice would be nice. And next year we're likely to have an open spot just based on the number of spots we'll need to fill so it would be nice to plug it with a 5th year senior without having to wait for the transfer lottery next year like we did this year.

no thanks. avoid like the plague
Having said that, if he's got off court issues he's probably not worth it. Can you or someone else elaborate as to why he should be avoided like the plague?

Edit: Just saw he was suspended for weed at the end of this season which is obviously a negative.

Reaction Score
no thanks. avoid like the plague
Why? 1 open scholarhsip + Nolan, Miller, Gibbs, Omar will be gone. That's 5 spots to fill. Hamilton is likely gone. 6 spots. Between Brimah and Purvis I expect 1 to declare. 7 spots to fill.

Diarra was a nice start. I expect to land Bailey soon. However, we need to lessen the load on KO for the amount of recruits that need to be brought in for 16-17. 7 man recruiting class is practically unheard of.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
At this point, I'd be ok with being transfer U. Sign him up!

Reaction Score
Don't think we'll be interested. Probably wouldn't start over Brimah. Not worth it.

Reaction Score
Interesting. We did recruit him out of high school, but he only has one year of eligibility left.

He looked like a very promising player early in his career, but never quite developed as much as expected. He's essentially just a shot-blocker and rebounder, which would be nice for a backup big. But he averaged a career high 5.8 PPG last season on 46% shooting, which is pretty bad for a big. For reference, Nolan shot 47% last year.

Reaction Score
at this point i could forgive his being a horrible teammate, foul prone especially when he knows he's needed on the court, weak on offense and the whole drug thing. i can't forgive the short shorts he wears.

Reaction Score
You would have to be deranged to think UConn would pursue this kid.

Forgetting the other suspensions and transfer rumors, the kid was suspended for flunking a drug test the week before the NCAA tournament.

He's nuts.
Smokin a little dope to ease the pressure of the tourney, obviously.

Reaction Score
No thanks. We dont need another Oriahki type cancer on a team that seems to be heading in such a positive direction.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Yeah - Mullins won't take the BS - I guarantee.

This seems like your type of player. Talented on the court but with a myriad of attitude-related issues. I'm surprised you aren't campaigning for his addition, sir Chief!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
No thanks. We dont need another Oriahki type cancer on a team that seems to be heading in such a positive direction.
Was he really a cancer? He did help lead us to a NC. I know his father fired off some crappy parting shots at UCONN and JC, but I was not aware he was a "cancer" in the locker room and on the team. Not disagreeing with you, per se, I just don't remember...

Maybe I have selective memory, or am getting more mellow in my old age...!

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Wouldn't mind seeing what KO could do with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom