Spring Roster is Up | The Boneyard

Spring Roster is Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
on uconnhuskies. com.

I will get into new walk-ons, and weights and positions when I start a position by position review of the roster (which, now that this is up, I will get started on). But, a number of players with remaining eligibility are no longer on the roster, including four scholarship players:

1. Lopes, the backup DB whom we saw on specials, would have been a RS Jr. but is not listed.

2. Matt Edwards, the backup LB who we never saw on the field or talked about, would have been a RS Jr. but is not listed.

3. Jerome Williams, who ended last year as the 4th LB when he recovered from injury, and would have been a RS Senior, is not listed.

4. Corey Manning, who played a lot last year (especially after Delahunt got hurt), and would have been a RS Sr., is not listed. This surprises me a lot, as given that Delahunt hurt his knee late in the season I'd be surprised if he plays for UConn again, notwithstanding that he is listed on the spring roster.

We also lost two walk-ons worth mentioning: Maher, the 'Nova transfer, and McLaughlin, whom I thought might have been Ruben Frank's back-up at FB next year.

By the way -- are we really getting better information out of the program with the control-freak in college park? Normally, someone told us when scholarship players left, rather than having to comb through rosters.

Reaction Score
I'm sure some of your posts don't involve Randy Edsall, but it sure seems like most of them do.

Move on brother, it's a new day.

Reaction Score
I'm sure some of your posts don't involve Randy Edsall, but it sure seems like most of them do.

As a former Apologista, I have to agree with this. Instead of talking about the impact of losing Manning (which is what this thread should be about), it's going to turn into another Randy Thread.

The loss of Manning is significant given Delahunt's status. We go into 2012 with no proven depth behind Griff. I hope McQuillan is ready. Makes losing the JUCO to the Sooners all the more painful. Stay healthy Ryan.

Reaction Score
I counted approximately 66 scholarship players on the roster, including the 5 early enrollees. That leaves approximately 19 spots remaining and the current class has 16 who currently are not enrolled. That leaves 3 spots open, plus probably a couple more spots from transfers or attrition.

Reaction Score
bl,

Two thoughts. First I have found in a couple of instances with other sports I follow at UCONN in the past that the first roster posted isn't completely accurate and gets revised within a few days without any fanfare. That may or may not be happening and I doubt it would involve more that 1 or two players, but look for a "revised" version in a few days. Beyond that it doesn't shock me that several players are leaving.

Second, as far as information goes, I have felt since the beginning of the new regime that what we got was pretty much the same as what Edsall gave., sometimes less Sometimes, though, it is not what you say, his case what you provide, but the way you say it. Pasqualoni seems to me to be much less confrontational, in-you-face in style. so even if he gives less information it doesn't seem as if he's holding out.

Reaction Score
The loss of Manning is huge and I can't blame the walk ons for leaving.

Reaction Score

That's what is interesting to you? What I say about information, as opposed to the bulk of the post about UConn football? More power to you.

Reaction Score
Don't respond if you don't want to talk about the former regime, but BL is 100% correct. Roster information, and I'll add injury information, is just as difficult to obtain from Coach P, as the last guy.

That most here may not be upset about it, doesn't mean it isn't the truth.

Reaction Score
Nice job bizlaw... Thanks for pointing out the roster changes... I had a feeling that we'd see some attrition b4 spring practice... Lopes, Edwards, Manning, & Williams deserve adequate playing time... It just wasn't available for them here. I hope they find a landing spot where they can contribute and get quality playing time... Hope we can get some updates on them as to where they end up soon.

Reaction Score
Looks like we need to bring in a few DBs soon, 6 of the 9 listed on the roster are JRs or SRs.

Shoemate is listed, I hope that means he was granted a medical redshirt.

Reaction Score
Mark Hannsen shifted from OT to TE last year and provides some depth as a blocking TE. Obviously not sure of his hands though. McQuillan is the obvious candidate as a pass catching TE. His position was listed as FB last year which seemed out of place for a 6'4" kid, but he is listed as a TE on the Spring roster. Don't think the staff wants to move Opoku again, but if there is PT available at TE he may be interested. You also can't assume that Delehunt is out for the year.

With Griffin, McQuillan, Hannsen and Delehunt (if recovered) the TE position has sufficient depth even without Opoku or a HS kid. I do hope that one of the last schollies goes to a TE just to re-load the position, but I don't think the loss of Manning is a huge concern.

Other things I notices - Frank is listed as the only scholarship FB. Wouldn't mind seeing Osiecki get a shot there.

As for QB, yes there are 6 on the roster, but only 4 are scholarship players which is not too many. This issue is that those 4 include 2 RS sophomores, 1 true sophomore and 1 true freshman. There is a log jam of young QBs. Probably safe to asssume that Cochran is redshirted which will puts a year between him and the other three. If McEntee doesn't win the starting job (we can hope) he will be a back-up as he won't transfer as a SR. The log jam of sophomores is the issue which will be worked out in Spring ball. Likely to see at least 1 QB transfer.

Reaction Score
The thing about Osiecki is that with Jerome Williams gone, he would at worst seem to be the backup MLB and at best might be given a shot to start inside next to Smallwood in a 3-4. If they're satisfied with Frank (and if they weren't Hinckley would be back), I don't see the move.

But who knows.

Reaction Score
Spring rosters are more of an attendance sheet than anything else, and your analysis is all I need to show it. There are some guys out there, who's whereabouts are unknown and might be smoking in the bathroom, (hopefully not), but more likely, just haven't made it all the way through the add/drop lines yet to get on the paperwork right to get on the official attendance roll call.

Some of the players you mention may or may not be on the roster come fall, and just as likely, some of the players listed on the roster, may or may not be on the roster come fall.

These kids these days with the computers and all, probalby don't have to suffer the add/drop lines that we waited for days in the ROTC hangar to get into or out of class. Always funny when those add/drop forms and cards somehow found a way to get 60 people registered for the 12:00 lecture of a class that should only hold 30, and the 8:00 am lecture was empty.......

Reaction Score
The thing about Osiecki is that with Jerome Williams gone, he would at worst seem to be the backup MLB and at best might be given a shot to start inside next to Smallwood in a 3-4. If they're satisfied with Frank (and if they weren't Hinckley would be back), I don't see the move.

But who knows.

If Vann and Donahue pass him this spring, I can see it. But, we're a long way from knowing that.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
These kids these days with the computers and all, probalby don't have to suffer the add/drop lines that we waited for days in the ROTC hangar to get into or out of class. Always funny when those add/drop forms and cards somehow found a way to get 60 people registered for the 12:00 lecture of a class that should only hold 30, and the 8:00 am lecture was empty.......

A funny side note on the Add/Drop lines:

My freshman year ('86-'87), they were still known as 'Drop/Add' lines. But the lines were so long, bored students would often spend their wait time defacing the signs to read 'Drop/Acid' instead. This 'vandalism' was quite widespread, lol.

The next year the process was mysteriously renamed 'Add/Drop', and the vandalism was averted. True story...

Reaction Score
A funny side note on the Add/Drop lines:

My freshman year ('86-'87), they were still known as 'Drop/Add' lines. But the lines were so long, bored students would often spend their wait time defacing the signs to read 'Drop/Acid' instead. This 'vandalism' was quite widespread, lol.

The next year the process was mysteriously renamed 'Add/Drop', and the vandalism was averted. True story...

LOL. Too funny.

Reaction Score
I am also really surprised about Corey Manning, considering Delahunt’s potential rehab time. Also, Jimmy Bennett is still on the roster, would be surprised if he ever hit the field again. In addition the xfer Ryan Donahue is listed as a senior not as a rs-junior?? Too bad about Lopes as this kid really worked hard to get to UConn in the first place….

Reaction Score
6 QB's!!!! something or somethings have to give
Actually I thought it would've made sense for Blaise Driscoll to follow Moorhead to Fordham and have a true shot at playing.. He's been under him since he's been on campus.... He'd kinda know what to do already which would give him an edge....

Reaction Score
I follow (stalk) Manning on twitter as well as Michael Nebrich, they both are extremely good friends base on what I see and neither has given any indication about either of them leaving.

In fact, a couple of weeks ago I remember them talking to each other about bringing the Big East championship back to Storrs.....I think we should wait until someone like Dez releases the Spring Roster before we get all up in arms

Reaction Score
That's what is interesting to you? What I say about information, as opposed to the bulk of the post about UConn football? More power to you.

From someone who complains about others always bringing fhcRE into the mix, pretty disingenous. We appreciate your interest in BCU and Uconn football.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Terrrific job BL. As always, you add so much value to this site. Thanks.

But at some point, you can't keep waving a red flag and then wondering why the bull charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom