Sporting News ranks the top seven players of all-time | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Sporting News ranks the top seven players of all-time

Reaction Score
I've always used as my measure the answer to the question of what player would you choose to start a team from scratch. Stewie has always been the answer to that question, and she remains so in my mind. But I've never seen a more amazing player in every aspect of the game than Caitlin. It doesn't seem fair to the girl because she couldn't (and won't) deliver a championship to Iowa. One player rarely can. EDD elevated Delaware into some notoriety, but her greatness only got them so far. Doesn't diminish EDD in any way; there are 4 other players out there . . .
Here's my corollary query: who would you most like to watch play? Difficult to NOT say Caitlin.
Please take this is a fun post. I had a back-and-forth with another poster regarding DT vs Clark. Why is it fair to overlook Clark's lack of titles if she gets none while being so focused on offensive stats vs a player like DT that came to UCONN specifically to win titles in which she knew she would not accumulate as many stats?

1--- CC came to Iowa; had to have a strong rational understanding that she probably wasn't going to win a title.
2---- DT came to UCONN with the understanding that she wasn't going to be the number 1 player early on. but with a rational understanding she was going to win at least once.

It doesn't make sense to not hold anything against Clark while holding it against DT for not accumulating as many stats.

Secondly, from the Italics above - I can recall a player that the poster on here his name is The Deacon knows. The player The Deacon will recognize is the name; Tim Duncan. His nickname; The Big Fundamental. No doubt one of the super great player’s off all-time. His style of play isn't even near the style of play Clark employs. In fact I will say Tm Duncan was one of the most boring superstars I have ever watched. So taking in your corollary query:, when we view all-time greatness, if a player is boring in our view, then he shouldn't be considered as an all-time great? Because he would have "mythically" surpassed more exciting players, right?Otherwise what was the point of your query?

And I'll also add- I respect Clark a ton. I respect the Offense she runs - sort of like a prime LeBron James or Dwayne Wade. OFC she shoots more 3's but in LBJ's and Wade's prime similar type of offensive spread. I prefer however Curry from Golden State even though I know LBJ is greater. And I prefer DT, Maya and Stewie watching that style over Clark's (LBJ's). For any game, if Clark lays a clunker it's about as boring to watch as you can get. Yet I recall when DT played a clunker in the Finals vs Oklahoma, because they ran a Team Offense, the game remained well played and up-tempo. Clark's current game is contingent on one player on her team. She has imo made the other players on her team boring. Primarily they sit at a spot and wait for a pass from her. - Just my bias- I'm an old timer.

My favorite player on this team is Paige. In one game or two if she were to score 40-50 points I would be ecstatic. But if that were part of the offense and she was doing so much shooting regularly, I would end up being incredibly bored. Part of my excitement this year was watching KK and Ashlynn play so well together. I remarked often of how much I was enjoying that. Overall one-player teams are boring for me.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Lots of really good collegiate players to choose from.

Griner was great, but only 8.8 rebounds a game for someone who was always the tallest player on the court? Based on memory alone, I'd bet Courtney Paris' stats were better all 4 seasons for Oklahoma; she was definitely one of the most dominant Centers of all time.

Texas Tech's Sheryl Swoopes was the truth, especially defensively. She could anticipate passes and make steals better than anyone. Only played 2 seasons in Division I after 2 seasons in JUCO.

Reaction Score
To play devils advocate, winning Championships is certainly a function of how talented your teammates are in addition to individual greatness.
Take Breanna Stewart, for example, every year of her college career, two of her teammates were also WBCA All Americans, not to mention the other McDonald’s AAs stacking the UConn rosters of that great era.

Reaction Score
Sheryl Swoopes was the only player that I recall who carried her team to victory in the championship game. She scored 47 of the team's 84 points. Even she needed help from guard Krista Kirkland.

I would like to put a vote in for Cynthia Cooper, Cheryl Miller's teammate at USC, for a top ten player. She didn't fully show her skills until the WNBA though.

Reaction Score
Take Breanna Stewart, for example, every year of her college career, two of her teammates were also WBCA All Americans, not to mention the other McDonald’s AAs stacking the UConn rosters of that great era.

9 of UConn's 11 championship teams had at least 2 All Americans from WBCA, AP and/or USBWA.

9 of UConn's 11 championships had the Naismith NPOY. Lobo, Bird, Taurasi 2x, Maya, Tina, Stewie 3x.

Source is pages 117 and 118 in the 2023-4 UConn media guide.

https://uconnhuskies.com/documents/2023/11/1/2023-24_UConn_WBB_Media_Guide.pdf

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Worth noting that Stewart still managed to be a standout even while surrounded by such high caliber players. She truly made the game look effortless, particularly in her junior and senior years. If you're THE star on a team full of stars, that has to mean something.

Stewart might not have won 4 straight without such a strong cast around her, but she definitely would have won at least one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom