Spoiler Alert - Pheesa gonna have a Monster Season! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Spoiler Alert - Pheesa gonna have a Monster Season!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
A couple of things with ND. First last season they won their NCAA tourney games at the foul line. When a team is in foul trouble they are defenseless. Next what about all those injuries. Will those players come back healthy, come back without their injuries affecting them, come back period? I dont think so.

I like MW this season. I think she will show us alot. ONO will be effective and up and down as she learns. I like this team. I alot to prove and alot of potential, and alot of opportunities to play and prove themselves. Lou and Collier will lead the way and CD will orchestrate his symphony that will be NCAA bound.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Why is 'heart' used in trying to understand a loss. Can't an opponent (or specific player) simply be better on a given day? :confused:

Rebounding .

50/50 balls

Jogging up and down the floor while a fat girl like shepherd beats them down on transition.

All effort and heart

Reaction Score
Why is 'heart' used in trying to understand a loss. Can't an opponent (or specific player) simply be better on a given day? :confused:
Jackie Young going for 30 really changed everything. Anything random like that can happen & it’s one game. It was clear the gameplan was to let her shoot. If it’s a 3 game series, UConn wins. Unfortunately, this is what makes college basketball exiting, the best team doesn’t always win. All you can do is learn and move on. I agree, the negativity behind losing at the buzzer in the FF is laughable.

Reaction Score
Rebounding .

50/50 balls

Jogging up and down the floor while a fat girl like shepherd beats them down on transition.

All effort and heart

You’re everything that is wrong with being a “fan” of the game. Guarantee Shepard would run circles around you on the court. Find a new avenue to express your self-doubt instead of taking it out on a college kid.

the Q

Reaction Score
You’re everything that is wrong with being a “fan” of the game. Guarantee Shepard would run circles around you on the court. Find a new avenue to express your self-doubt instead of taking it out on a college kid.

No. Her conditioning is very much an issue when it Comes to her beating gabby, pheesa and co up and down the floor. Multiple times. Should not happen.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Jessica Shepard can't run like John Belushi couldn't dance. Cal Ripken was too big to play shortstop, too. And an old fat bastard like me could never complete a marathon (I've done nine, and would've done #10 in a couple of months if I hadn't just had knee surgery).

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I too think those criticisms of KLS have some accuracy. But assuming she's healthy her foot speed will be at least a bit or more better.
What's not being evaluated is her heart, drive and basketball IQ.
I'm going to make a real stretch analogy. Larry Bird, one of the greatest men's BB of all time didn't have great foot speed or ball handling but who could stop him. He and Magic surely went at it.
I think we are going to see a new, improved KLS and her and Pheesa will both shine. CD will complement both of them and be one of the top guards in the country. The rest remains to be seen, especially how much of a soph leap MW shows. If it's big, they will be FF sand NC contenders. If less than that, CW and or Ono have to have better than usual freshman seasons.
Others will contribute as support parts.
Bronx23

Lou and Pheesa are the "elders" on this team (seems like only yesterday they were wide-eyed :eek: freshmen). They will be among the oldest and most "experienced" players on the court. This is the last roundup for them. This coming season will be the best of their career at UConn. I also expect Dangerfield to shine like a flood light. These three will perform as expected.

They know they are the team leaders, and will conduct themselves accordingly. What will determine the ultimate success of the team this year will be play, productivity and development of their teammates. Said potential and development are unknown at this time.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Rebounding .

50/50 balls

All effort and heart
OK, I admit it -- your comments motivated me to re-watch the entire game to see what you might be talking about. I specifically looked for plays where Jessica Shepherd scored or had a good scoring chance after beating Napheesa or any UConn forward up the court. I found exactly ZERO instances of that. The only instance that came close was at 3:31 of overtime, where Shepherd got a layup because Azura went into one of her defensive swoons, and failed to cover Shepherd when she cut to the basket. That wasn't a fast break. Z was right there, but just turned her back and gave Shepherd a chance to cut to the basket. Napheesa had nothing to do with giving up that layup at all.

If you compare the stat lines of Napheesa and Jessica Shepard, they are strongly in favor of the player in blue and white:

Shepherd: 43 minutes, 15 points on 7-14 shooting, 11 rebounds including 5 offensive rebounds. Her clutch play at the end of regulation was to dribble the ball off her foot and turn it over just after Kia had tied the game by stealing the inbounds pass.
Napheesa: 39 minutes, 24 points on 11-17 shooting (including a clutch 3 at the end of regulation and a big basket late in overtime), 5 rebounds including 3 offensive rebounds.

All of Shepherd's scoring was in the paint on good post moves that were difficult to defend, or on putbacks. None of it (that would be 0.0) was on fast breaks or even in transition. Usually she was being guarded by Z or Lou rather than Pheesa.

While Napheesa had fewer rebounds than Shepherd, overall UConn won the rebounding battle 41-38, with a 16-15 edge in offensive rebounds. For most of the game (until about midway in the 4th quarter), UConn was well ahead in the rebounding battle.

After re-watching the game, I think that the turning point came when Lou picked up her 4th foul midway through the 4th quarter. At that point, UConn's ability to defend in the paint and contest for rebounds was substantially weakened. Perhaps Shepherd's main contribution to Notre Dame's victory was to help get Lou in foul trouble.

I really think that if you are going to make disparaging comments such as you have made that touch on the competitive desire of UConn players, you should at least back it up with specific facts. I see absolutely no facts in the game replay or the box score to support your accusatory statements.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
OK, I admit it -- your comments motivated me to re-watch the entire game to see what you might be talking about. I specifically looked for plays where Jessica Shepherd scored or had a good scoring chance after beating Napheesa or any UConn forward up the court. I found exactly ZERO instances of that. The only instance that came close was at 3:31 of overtime, where Shepherd got a layup because Azura went into one of her defensive swoons, and failed to cover Shepherd when she cut to the basket. That wasn't a fast break. Z was right there, but just turned her back and gave Shepherd a chance to cut to the basket. Napheesa had nothing to do with giving up that layup at all.

If you compare the stat lines of Napheesa and Jessica Shepard, they are strongly in favor of the player in blue and white:

Shepherd: 43 minutes, 15 points on 7-14 shooting, 11 rebounds including 5 offensive rebounds. Her clutch play at the end of regulation was to dribble the ball off her foot and turn it over just after Kia had tied the game by stealing the inbounds pass.
Napheesa: 39 minutes, 24 points on 11-17 shooting (including a clutch 3 at the end of regulation and a big basket late in overtime), 5 rebounds including 3 offensive rebounds.

All of Shepherd's scoring was in the paint on good post moves that were difficult to defend, or on putbacks. None of it (that would be 0.0) was on fast breaks or even in transition. Usually she was being guarded by Z or Lou rather than Pheesa.

While Napheesa had fewer rebounds than Shepherd, overall UConn won the rebounding battle 41-38, with a 16-15 edge in offensive rebounds. For most of the game (until about midway in the 4th quarter), UConn was well ahead in the rebounding battle.

After re-watching the game, I think that the turning point came when Lou picked up her 4th foul midway through the 4th quarter. At that point, UConn's ability to defend in the paint and contest for rebounds was substantially weakened. Perhaps Shepherd's main contribution to Notre Dame's victory was to help get Lou in foul trouble.

I really think that if you are going to make disparaging comments such as you have made that touch on the competitive desire of UConn players, you should at least back it up with specific facts. I see absolutely no facts in the game replay or the box score to support your accusatory statements.

Great post. My recollection was similar without all the details. If I also recall, Danger had some fantastic clutch plays. Heart is never the issue at UConn inclusing the MSU game)

the Q

Reaction Score

Who was catching the bounce based on the block in transition? I thought it was sheperd, point remains it wasn’t anyone athletic like Jackie young.

Uconn’s defensife effort was bad. There’s no way to debate by. Gave up a ton of points to team with no one resembling point guard skills on it. A team that wasn’t even remotely as good as a Louisville team that we demolished earlier. The rebounding effort was also poor. And again, 50/50 balls. Things Uconn usually wins.

I agree KlS 4th foul was huge, I’d argue the 3rd was bigger cause it was points off the board for Uconn as well and it put them in that situation. The other key play was when gabby got absolutely leveled on a drive and I think even slowed up Collier because of when he landed, and Nd got points in transition out of that. Again, no foul on Nd and points for Uconn.

But again, Nd has no pg and no turner. This shouldn’t have even been a close game.

the Q

Reaction Score
All this talk about pheesa. She’s already a star. I think we all expect her to have a great senior year.

The team really needs walker and dangerfiled to both take another step forward and hope that batluly and ONO can both give productive minutes as the team needs some decent size or it’ll get pounded on the boards by good teams.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
All this talk about pheesa. She’s already a star. I think we all expect her to have a great senior year.

The team really needs walker and dangerfiled to both take another step forward and hope that batluly and ONO can both give productive minutes as the team needs some decent size or it’ll get pounded on the boards by good teams.

Was batluly a freudian slip? She is known to be one of the team clowns.

the Q

Reaction Score
Was batluly a freudian slip? She is known to be one of the team clowns.

No. Just my useless fat fingers tying to post on my phone .

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When Aubrey and Jordan are hanging out with the team today, they can chat up Pheesa--the only collegian with Team USA in Antibes.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Lots and Lots of great comments. I'm looking for the 'LIKE ALL" button. But I do the believe the most important improvement going forward is in one left ankle and one pair of shins. If they improve like I suspect and with the expected improvement in Pheesa and MW and BAT and Coombs and mix in a good learning curve for the newbies with the added edge of the opportunity to win games we're expected to lose. What a wonderful year it will be.

the Q

Reaction Score
Unless you have played in a final four you have not earned the right to question the heart of someone who has!

1) I played in the ncaa tourney, albeit in a different sport.

2) it’s a weak comment to begin with.

3) rebounds, defense and 50/50 balls are all hustle and....wait for it....effort

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Lots and Lots of great comments. I'm looking for the 'LIKE ALL" button. But I do the believe the most important improvement going forward is in one left ankle and one pair of shins. If they improve like I suspect and with the expected improvement in Pheesa and MW and BAT and Coombs and mix in a good learning curve for the newbies with the added edge of the opportunity to win games we're expected to lose. What a wonderful year it will be.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Lou's ankle, given the apparently successful surgery. I'm even more optimistic about CD's shins, as CD was quoted as saying she(they) had decided a change in strength training was in order. Apparently she was overworking her quads and the imbalance was at least a factor in the resulting shin splints. (Who knew? ) AFAIK she has had no problems since last spring.

I found it all very interesting, how the body is such a fine-tuned machine. Especially in the case of a Ferrari like Dangerfield!

the Q

Reaction Score
I'm cautiously optimistic about Lou's ankle, given the apparently successful surgery. I'm even more optimistic about CD's shins, as CD was quoted as saying she(they) had decided a change in strength training was in order. Apparently she was overworking her quads and the imbalance was at least a factor in the resulting shin splints. (Who knew? ) AFAIK she has had no problems since last spring.

I found it all very interesting, how the body is such a fine-tuned machine. Especially in the case of a Ferrari like Dangerfield!

That is intereting.

I think danger is the one who needs to take the next step. She has the upside to explode.

I think pheesa and kls will both have good senior years, but their bar is so high I wonder just how much better than they can be.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
That is intereting.

I think danger is the one who needs to take the next step. She has the upside to explode.

I think pheesa and kls will both have good senior years, but their bar is so high I wonder just how much better than they can be.

I found the article I was thinking of -- it sounds like the shin splint issue was not 'totally' gone when this article went to press (June 28) but things were definitely improved. Sounds to me like she and the training staff have a good handle on it.

LINK

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom