Spoiler Alert - Pheesa gonna have a Monster Season! | The Boneyard

Spoiler Alert - Pheesa gonna have a Monster Season!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
OK, maybe it’s not exactly news here on the BY that Napheesa Collier is going to have a great senior season. But whenever a group of talented seniors graduate, we always speculate about who will pick up the slack. With Gabby, Kia and Z now in the pros, the BY has suggested several possibilities including: Megan, Batouly, Mikayla, CW, ONO and the rest. But sometimes, the answer is hiding in plain sight. I expect UConn’s 3 returning starters to assume much of the burden with Pheesa leading the way.

After an OK freshman year, Pheesa had a breakout sophomore season. She led the team in scoring, rebounds and blocked shots while shooting a spectacular .678 from the field in helping the Huskies to a 37-1 record. While Pheesa’s performance in the national semifinal vs MS St was not her best, she was absolutely the best player on the court during the Regionals in Bridgeport that season against UCLA and Oregon. Pheesa was a consensus 1st Team AA along with teammates Lou & Gabby.

Pheesa followed up her sophomore year with a very good junior year, where she was named to all the AA teams, although not as a 1st team choice. Her performance was not quite at the level of the prior year. IMO, Pheesa’s drop off was primarily due to the fact that she ended up sharing the same role on the court as Z. Pheesa had nowhere near the same number of post touches as the prior year and it was reflected in her stats.

Well Z has moved on to the WNBA, and this coming year Pheesa will be the #1 option in UConn’s offense again. As a reminder for those that may have forgotten, Pheesa’s ability in the low post on offense is extraordinary. To start, unlike many post players who plant themselves in one spot and then wait for their teammates to try to get the ball to them, Pheesa is constantly moving in the low post until she pins her defender on her back shoulder creating a perfect angle for an entry pass from one of her teammates. Pheesa catches everything thrown her way with her Inspector Gadget arms. On several occasions, I’ve accused her teammates of padding their assist totals by throwing loose passes in her general vicinity. After the catch, Pheesa turns and releases shots quickly with an array of moves including: layups with either hand, step back jumpers, fall-away bank shots from either side of the lane, and my favorite, the up and under. (Hoping to also see a jump hook this year.)

While Gabby is no longer around to feed Pheesa from the high post, I believe much of that responsibility will now fall to Lou, who is one of the best passers in WBB. I anticipate Lou and Pheesa playing a lot of 2-man games from both the high post and the wings including give and go, pick and roll, etc. I also expect Crystal to penetrate more often dishing off for easy layups whenever the defense rotates to stop her.

Beyond Pheesa’s post moves, she is a more than adequate shooter from outside. We’ve seen some tantalizing videos this summer of Pheesa and her new protégé (MW) training like their lives depended on it, and Pheesa in particular knocking down one 3 after another in rapid succession. Pheesa has accelerated her shot release in a manner similar to her BFF. She’s also gotten much stronger, and playing with the US National team can only help Pheesa get better, whether she makes the final roster or not.

Sometimes it’s easy to overlook Pheesa due to her quiet and unassuming nature. But on the basketball court, particularly in this, her senior season as a UConn Husky, Pheesa will have a monster season!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One additional comment on Pheesa. She’s really a very good defensive player, despite what her coach has said. She consistently plays bigger players tough in the paint, has good footwork and timing, and can block shots with either hand. Pheesa also does something that Geno loves. She doesn’t wait for rebounds to come to her. She goes and gets them.

About the only weakness Pheesa has on defense is when she’s matched up on a switch in the open floor against a quicker guard. (Thank you Ms. Ogunbowle for bringing that to our attention.)

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Thanks, oldude, it all rings true.

Lack of depth and injuries, and strangely enough Z`s defensive limitations, limited Geno`s ability to play up tempo and pressing defense. Sat in a zone against ND much of the time and got picked apart. As he looks to the upcoming season, the teams in his way - most notably ND, Baylor and Mississippi State - all have formidable size, but may have some vulnerability at point guard. Mabrey is a good player but is probably more of a two guard, Baylor`s PG is not with the program, and Itty Bitty graduated.

So, the recipe for success this year is to stay healthy, to develop a deeper rotation (at least eight), and to be able to play a full court running, pressing game. Tire those bigs out, and make life miserable for their point guard. Contributions from Batouly and the Freshman will be essential. Suffer through the early season growing pains with a view towards March and April.

Napheesa will thrive in a system like that. She can run all day, score in a multitude of ways including beating her opponents down the floor, and her confidence level must be through the roof at this point. I can see her averaging 23-24 ppg.

She needs to stay on the floor, however, and avoid those ticky-tacky reach-in fouls.

Reaction Score
One additional comment on Pheesa. She’s really a very good defensive player, despite what her coach has said. She consistently plays bigger players tough in the paint, has good footwork and timing, and can block shots with either hand. Pheesa also does something that Geno loves. She doesn’t wait for rebounds to come to her. She goes and gets them.

About the only weakness Pheesa has on defense is when she’s matched up on a switch in the open floor against a quicker guard. (Thank you Ms. Ogunbowle for bringing that to our attention.)
Most all the analytcal pieces you have written have been excellent. Every thing you say here about Pheesa is spot on and I enjoyed reading every word--thank you.
Megan Walker is not a two bit talent, yes she needed that Freshman year to learn the Big time WCBB game but tucked (pun intended) under Collier wing will lead to a break out year for Megan, I believe.
ONO and CW (Okay Dokie--my kinda kid) we should not bet the house and spouse on either or both, yes they have extraordinary talent but they are Freshmen. If CW can replicate DT/s ego, she can replicate that talent, it could be one fun year.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I’ll take her not getting run ragged by a much...larger...girl In Shepherd.

There is no way the Uconn Bigs should’ve been getting walloped in transition by her.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’ll take her not getting run ragged by a much...larger...girl In Shepherd.

There is no way the Uconn Bigs should’ve been getting walloped in transition by her.
Shepherd had much of her success against 6’6” Z. Assuming that Turner is ready to go, this year UConn will face a pair of talented Bigs in South Bend when they play the defending national champions on Dec 2 without Z this time. The Irish will be the favorites and their fans will be sky high. Great setting for an upset. :cool:

the Q

Reaction Score
Shepherd had much of her success against 6’6” Z. Assuming that Turner is ready to go, this year UConn will face a pair of talented Bigs in South Bend when they play the defending national champions on Dec 2 without Z this time. The Irish will be the favorites and their fans will be sky high. Great setting for an upset. :cool:

In transition she was beating all of them up the floor. With they athleticism we had that sheperd frankly doesn’t, that shouldn’t have happened once.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In transition she was beating all of them up the floor. With they athleticism we had that sheperd frankly doesn’t, that shouldn’t have happened once.
I don’t disagree with you, but while Z became a better defender over the course of the season, Shepherd schooled her in that game.

Reaction Score
OK, maybe it’s not exactly news here on the BY that Napheesa Collier is going to have a great senior season. But whenever a group of talented seniors graduate, we always speculate about who will pick up the slack. With Gabby, Kia and Z now in the pros, the BY has suggested several possibilities including: Megan, Batouly, Mikayla, CW, ONO and the rest. But sometimes, the answer is hiding in plain sight. I expect UConn’s 3 returning starters to assume much of the burden with Pheesa leading the way.

After an OK freshman year, Pheesa had a breakout sophomore season. She led the team in scoring, rebounds and blocked shots while shooting a spectacular .678 from the field in helping the Huskies to a 37-1 record. While Pheesa’s performance in the national semifinal vs MS St was not her best, she was absolutely the best player on the court during the Regionals in Bridgeport that season against UCLA and Oregon. Pheesa was a consensus 1st Team AA along with teammates Lou & Gabby.

Pheesa followed up her sophomore year with a very good junior year, where she was named to all the AA teams, although not as a 1st team choice. Her performance was not quite at the level of the prior year. IMO, Pheesa’s drop off was primarily due to the fact that she ended up sharing the same role on the court as Z. Pheesa had nowhere near the same number of post touches as the prior year and it was reflected in her stats.

Well Z has moved on to the WNBA, and this coming year Pheesa will be the #1 option in UConn’s offense again. As a reminder for those that may have forgotten, Pheesa’s ability in the low post on offense is extraordinary. To start, unlike many post players who plant themselves in one spot and then wait for their teammates to try to get the ball to them, Pheesa is constantly moving in the low post until she pins her defender on her back shoulder creating a perfect angle for an entry pass from one of her teammates. Pheesa catches everything thrown her way with her Inspector Gadget arms. On several occasions, I’ve accused her teammates of padding their assist totals by throwing loose passes in her general vicinity. After the catch, Pheesa turns and releases shots quickly with an array of moves including: layups with either hand, step back jumpers, fall-away bank shots from either side of the lane, and my favorite, the up and under. (Hoping to also see a jump hook this year.)

While Gabby is no longer around to feed Pheesa from the high post, I believe much of that responsibility will now fall to Lou, who is one of the best passers in WBB. I anticipate Lou and Pheesa playing a lot of 2-man games from both the high post and the wings including give and go, pick and roll, etc. I also expect Crystal to penetrate more often dishing off for easy layups whenever the defense rotates to stop her.

Beyond Pheesa’s post moves, she is a more than adequate shooter from outside. We’ve seen some tantalizing videos this summer of Pheesa and her new protégé (MW) training like their lives depended on it, and Pheesa in particular knocking down one 3 after another in rapid succession. Pheesa has accelerated her shot release in a manner similar to her BFF. She’s also gotten much stronger, and playing with the US National team can only help Pheesa get better, whether she makes the final roster or not.

Sometimes it’s easy to overlook Pheesa due to her quiet and unassuming nature. But on the basketball court, particularly in this, her senior season as a UConn Husky, Pheesa will have a monster season!
I agree Pheesa is going to have a monster season and really like much of your analysis.
I'd like to suggest a slightly different or modified version of your comments.
I believe U Conns best player is, has been and will be KLS, who needs to take on the leadership on and off the court, especially in the big moments. KLS is absolutely not a secondary choice to Pheesa although I agree she is a great passer and together, along with CD, will form an amazing and unequaled threesome.
The fact that they are BFF surely helps as well as that neither has ego problems.
If MW makes anywhere close to the leap most of you are projecting for her, with good freshman seasons from MW & Ono, and some added support from Irwin, Batouly and Combs, they will be NC contenders and likely back in the FF.
This team I believe even with losing three of the best players in the country will surprise many (maybe mostly ND) as the team did with their undefeated season until the FF, two years ago,
Should be a very exciting, interesting team to watch and with Geno not being the favorite and sitting on long winning streaks and not being the favorite to win this year.
Watch out!
Bronx23

the Q

Reaction Score
I don’t disagree with you, but while Z became a better defender over the course of the season, Shepherd schooled her in that game.

She got 6-8 of her points in transition.

And the rebounding as a team was abysmal.

It was simply a poor effort as defense and rebounding Are simply that.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
In light of the fact that the season hasn't started yet, and there are several formidable opponents on the schedule, given the recent events, IMO Notre Dame is the biggest and most important game on the schedule. Forget Baylor for a moment, UConn was not sent home by the Bears last year during the tournament.

Win or lose, their game with ND will have a profound affect on the team. Win, you avenge last year's loss, and go forward knowing that you are a very good team worthy of winning this year's championship. Right now, ND is perceived by many to be the best team in the country.

This ND team is one of the best teams Muffet McGraw has had in recent years. A win would do wonders for UConn's confidence and morale. A loss (especially a double digit loss) would be a bit of set back.

Win or lose, the Huskies know they will have to play and defeat ND later this season if they are to win the championship. Last year ND put a patchwork team on the floor that somehow made it work, and refused to let their circumstances defeat them, or define their season. They found ways to win.

ND also has this game circled on their calendar. They want to send a clear and unmistakable message to UConn and the rest of WCBB that they are back, and back on top.........at least for the moment. No doubt they want to repeat, and have made that their #1 goal for the season.

Other than assistant coach Carol Owens and current assistant coach Niele Ivey (who was a player on that 2001 championship team) none of the other members of her staff experienced winning a championship. They've tasted success and want more. There are only 2-3 teams that can prevent them from doing so. UConn is one of them.

The Irish would love nothing better than to beat down UConn in front of their fans at home. Both teams desperately want to win this game. An upward momentum swing for the winner, a downward swing for the loser. That is why IMO that game on Dec 2, may have implications the rest of the year for UConn, one way or another.

Last edited by a moderator:

the Q

Reaction Score
We have very little chance the first time around.

By April maybe.

Then again Nd had no business being within 20 either game last year...so who knows

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
In light of the fact that the season hasn't started yet, and there are several formidable opponents on the schedule, given the recent events, IMO Notre Dame is the biggest and most important game on the schedule. Forget Baylor for a moment, UConn was not sent home by Baylor last year during the tournament.

Win or lose, their game with ND will have a profound affect on the team. Win, you avenge last year's loss, and go forward knowing that you have a very good team worthy of winning this year 's championship. ND has one of the best teams in recent years. A win would do wonders for UConn's confidence and morale. A loss would do the opposite, and possibly stigmatize them the rest of the year.

Win or lose, the Huskies know they will have to play and defeat ND if they are to win the championship this year. Last year ND put a patchwork team on the floor that refused to let their circumstances define their season, and found ways to win.

ND also has this game circled on their calendar. They want to send a clear message to UConn and the rest of WCBB that they are back on top, at least for the moment. No doubt they want to repeat. There are only 2-3 teams that can prevent them from doing so. UConn is one of them.

Always like your observations but afraid I disagree with a couple of them here, Scoop. After two seasons of running the table and then losing in the Final Four, I just don`t think a game on December 2 is going to be as significant as you suggest. UConn will look much different in March than they will in December. It will be a good measuring rod for the progress made and health of the team at that point, and obviously I hope they win, but our win at XL last year didn`t help us in Columbus. Also worth noting that Louisville crushed ND during the regular season last year.

Also, I recognize that ND was hit hard by injuries but I wouldn`t call the team they put on the floor "patchwork". Not deep, obviously, but the five out there were healthy and really good, and the passive defense we played made them look even better. Westbeld may have had an ankle issue but she played ok and we were way more beat up at that point, and we only went six deep in that game despite two players who were dealing with significant injuries and another who was not 100%.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Always like your observations but afraid I disagree with a couple of them here, Scoop. After two seasons of running the table and then losing in the Final Four, I just don`t think a game on December 2 is going to be as significant as you suggest. UConn will look much different in March than they will in December. It will be a good measuring rod for the progress made and health of the team at that point, and obviously I hope they win, but our win at XL last year didn`t help us in Columbus. Also worth noting that Louisville crushed ND during the regular season last year.

Also, I recognize that ND was hit hard by injuries but I wouldn`t call the team they put on the floor "patchwork". Not deep, obviously, but the five out there were healthy and really good, and the passive defense we played made them look even better. Westbeld may have had an ankle issue but she played ok and we were way more beat up at that point, and we only went six deep in that game despite two players who were dealing with significant injuries and another who was not 100%.

Your observations are noted. I agree that UConn should have defeated ND last time. They had an avalanche of momentum going into the tournament, but gave out in the closing moments of the game, and lost on a last second prayer.

I used the "patchwork " term because the starting unit was just that. It was put together with who was healthy and able to play, not by design. The starting unit would have been different if there had been no injuries, and everyone was healthy.

For instance, we know for a fact that Brianna Turner and Lili Thompson would have been starters if they were healthy. How many of the other players out with injuries would have started if healthy?

I agree that UConn will look much different in March, but so will ND. Yes, Louisville crushed ND by 33, and UConn beat them, but that didn't help UConn. A championship for the Huskies this year may be a bridge too far, I hope not. It's not impossible IF at least 4 of the returning reserves reach and exceed their maximum potential BEFORE the post season begins.

In addition to ND, Baylor and Mississippi State are also on the road to redemption, and must be dealt with. Right now, my biggest concern is ND. They're the elephant in the room. Right now, in mid-September, this is the way I see it because there are too many unknowns. My perception may change as the season progresses based on what we've got, who we've got, and the potential of this year's team.

Right now, there are too many unknowns. We don't even know who the 2 new starters will be. Your comments have merit. You could be right. I very much want UConn to win the NC this year, we shall see.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We have very little chance the first time around.

By April maybe.

Then again Nd had no business being within 20 either game last year...so who knows
ND will be the prohibitive favorite on Dec 2, but I got this strange feeling that Geno and the Huskies will find a way.

Reaction Score
You all are freaking out a lot. The way I look at it, ND was the least expected 1-seed to win last year. But they found a way. So what I'd UConn isn't the heavy favorite? They can find a way to win too. Whether it be the December game of the NC. That's why these games are played. Only the coaches and the players on the court have a say, anything can happen. I think UConn will do surprisingly good next year.

Reaction Score
KLS will probably get more notoriety because of her name but I think in the big moments (as was the case last year against ND) it will have to be Pheesa’s show. I’m just not confident Katie Lou has the footspeed or ballhandling to create her own shot. I’d personally love to see those two in a pick and roll situations a lot this year. The team will go as they go. They will both be on a short list for POY candidates. They will go down as one of the best duos in UConn history without a doubt!

Boy is this going to be your mantra all year, trying to take shots at KLS. You must feel threatened to have to do that. Wonder what your next hit will be AB.

Carnac

Reaction Score
KLS will probably get more notoriety because of her name but I think in the big moments (as was the case last year against ND) it will have to be Pheesa’s show. I’m just not confident Katie Lou has the footspeed or ballhandling to create her own shot. I’d personally love to see those two in a pick and roll situations a lot this year. The team will go as they go. They will both be on a short list for POY candidates. They will go down as one of the best duos in UConn history without a doubt!

I too think Pheesa and Lou will be a "Dynamic Duo" this season. The question is who will be Batman, and who will be Robin? :eek:

the Q

Reaction Score
Boy is this going to be your mantra all year, trying to take shots at KLS. You must feel threatened to have to do that. Wonder what your next hit will be AB.

He’s not wrong. Both of those claims about her talents/athleticism are accurate.

Reaction Score
I too think those criticisms of KLS have some accuracy. But assuming she's healthy her foot speed will be at least a bit or more better.
What's not being evaluated is her heart, drive and basketball IQ.
I'm going to make a real stretch analogy. Larry Bird, one of the greatest men's BB of all time didn't have great foot speed or ball handling but who could stop him. He and Magic surely went at it.
I think we are going to see a new, improved KLS and her and Pheesa will both shine. CD will complement both of them and be one of the top guards in the country. The rest remains to be seen, especially how much of a soph leap MW shows. If it's big, they will be FF sand NC contenders. If less than that, CW and or Ono have to have better than usual freshman seasons.
Others will contribute as support parts.
Bronx23

the Q

Reaction Score
Frankly I question everyone’s heart after the effort the last 2 FFs.

Reaction Score
Who is taking shots at her? She’s a top player in the country. I’m lost at your last sentence and what that means.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I too think those criticisms of KLS have some accuracy. But assuming she's healthy her foot speed will be at least a bit or more better.
What's not being evaluated is her heart, drive and basketball IQ.
I'm going to make a real stretch analogy. Larry Bird, one of the greatest men's BB of all time didn't have great foot speed or ball handling but who could stop him. He and Magic surely went at it.
I think we are going to see a new, improved KLS and her and Pheesa will both shine. CD will complement both of them and be one of the top guards in the country. The rest remains to be seen, especially how much of a soph leap MW shows. If it's big, they will be FF sand NC contenders. If less than that, CW and or Ono have to have better than usual freshman seasons.
Others will contribute as support parts.
Bronx23
I was about to compare Lou to Larry Bird, her idol, when I read your post. Great minds think alike... :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom