Spanos -- are you freakin' joking? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Spanos -- are you freakin' joking?

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Biz, your 2nd paragraph is ridiculous.

If he wasn't responsible for the pieces, that means he hasn't been recruiting, has no relationships, and, worse, took no initiative to fix a clear talent problem.

If he was responsible for the pieces, you know.
Yep. He is responsible and is being asked to stay around as player loyalty to him trumps his ability. At least as Mora sees it. We need the bodies for now. Not good.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Again, other than how Jason Gaffney played today, very little in the world is all or nothing. Some here want to blame Edsall for every detail, down to one harping on he didn’t care if we won, and now we’re split between Spanos was totally responsible for our defense not being good enough and being not at all responsible for it.

The truth is somewhere in the middle. But where in the middle I don’t know.
Who is Jason Gaffney? Is he a football player?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
And the men just lost to Providence so by the logic here Hurley should be fired.
I guarantee there are a ton of folks over on the MBB board that would probably agree with you right now....:confused:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
"The UConn that you used to know is not the UConn that you will see in the future". - HCJM
"Those were the words of UConn head coach Jim L. Mora, at the Sixth Annual Educating Athletes New Jersey High School Football Coaches Event of the Year at Waterside Events in North Bergen, New Jersey on Monday, December 13, 2021".

I'm thinking Gou buries the lede a bit here. Think about it, Mora was only hired a few weeks ago and he gets a gig to speak in front of the NJ coaches at their Event Of The Year! They have good players in NJ. I'm guessing he wasn't on the bill before the hire. I wonder if another coach gets that spot on short notice instead of Jim Mora. And good on coach for making it happen. One good thing we know already, Jim isn't afraid to ask.

Reaction Score
Yep. He is responsible and is being asked to stay around as player loyalty to him trumps his ability. At least as Mora sees it. We need the bodies for now. Not good.
Glad to hear that Mora has you to confide in. Can you share all the other ways he "sees it"?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
It was young. It isn’t an excuse. It is another Edsall failure. He ran off the older players and didn’t replace them with transfers. We were playing a stupid number of freshman and sophomores all over the field. That’s was Edsall failing. That’s why we have a new coach.
I’m not sure if that was why Edsall was failing, but it certainly was a major contributing factor.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Here is a short article on Mora defending against rookie QBs written this fall. Any young Qb probably, and would be dictated down to Spanos.

I thought this was interesting and counter-intuitive.

6C9DFA83-8A2B-4694-B0BF-8CD3EE466AEB.jpeg

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I thought this was interesting and counter-intuitive.

View attachment 71946
You would think you want them to make quick decisions. I am not sure it means no pressure on the qb, just keep him contained in the pocket. It also could mean disciplined lane rushes and not having your ends take wide angles to the qb.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The defense being easily read by opponents is the biggest mark on Spanos record. That needs to change immediately. If the Wyoming QB can read it that easily, then there was a very serious problem.

Reaction Score
You would think you want them to make quick decisions. I am not sure it means no pressure on the qb, just keep him contained in the pocket. It also could mean disciplined lane rushes and not having your ends take wide angles to the qb.
I think it just means a lot more of rushing and containing from the edge as opposed to stacking the box and blitzing up the middle. I could also be completely wrong but that’s what I take away from it.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure if that was why Edsall was failing, but it certainly was a major contributing factor.
Absolutely. I remember his first year. But I think Disco did the same thing. They all think they have a free year. Like a corporation taking a huge hit one year which makes it so much easier to show progress the next years.

The problem of course is that players now hit the portal for someplace better once they get good enough. A structural problem which makes it much more difficult for a school like UConn to pull itself out of the hole it is in.

Reaction Score
I think it just means a lot more of rushing and containing from the edge as opposed to stacking the box and blitzing up the middle. I could also be completely wrong but that’s what I take away from it.
The idea is that you want QB's, especially inexperienced ones, to have to stay in the pocket and check down their list of options to throw at; by doing so, you can cause interceptions and at least incompletions rather than letting them get out of the pocket and make things happen with their legs, let receivers break off of their intended route so as to create chaos and get open in that manner, etc.

Reaction Score
The idea is that you want QB's, especially inexperienced ones, to have to stay in the pocket and check down their list of options to throw at; by doing so, you can cause interceptions and at least incompletions rather than letting them get out of the pocket and make things happen with their legs, let receivers break off of their intended route so as to create chaos and get open in that manner, etc.
Gotta be good on the edge to do that. And maybe send more on the edge rush. Which means the secondary has to be good enough for man coverage. Hmmm ... the problem in non-linear.

Reaction Score
Gotta be good on the edge to do that. And maybe send more on the edge rush. Which means the secondary has to be good enough for man coverage. Hmmm ... the problem in non-linear.
Yes, all three levels of the defense have to improve. :)

Reaction Score
I meant, it was another of his many failures.

Reaction Score
There are zone blitzes. Usually drop a DE into pass coverage. They use to drop Julius Williams into pass coverage alot but he came in as a LB. Perhaps someone like a Hardy or the kid Branch coming in.

Reaction Score
There are zone blitzes. Usually drop a DE into pass coverage. They use to drop Julius Williams into pass coverage alot but he came in as a LB. Perhaps someone like a Hardy or the kid Branch coming in.
Yeah. Whether or not UConn will have the capability to execute this strategy next year is a currently open question pending portal arrivals and February signings.

Reaction Score
Mora's #2 is "create discomfort."

....it’s important to make the communication between the quarterback and center as difficult as you can, so there’s some uncertainty when the ball is snapped.

That means moving the front a little bit, moving the Mike linebacker a little bit — presenting some different looks. Make sure the quarterback and the center and the back and the line — all those responsible for protection – are not on the same page.

This is something Spanos almost never did. His defensive line and LBs were in cement. They rarely moved pre-snap. Our defensive was easier to read than "Fun with Dick and Jane."

Reaction Score
Mora's #2 is "create discomfort."

....it’s important to make the communication between the quarterback and center as difficult as you can, so there’s some uncertainty when the ball is snapped.

That means moving the front a little bit, moving the Mike linebacker a little bit — presenting some different looks. Make sure the quarterback and the center and the back and the line — all those responsible for protection – are not on the same page.

This is something Spanos almost never did. His defensive line and LBs were in cement. They rarely moved pre-snap. Our defensive was easier to read than "Fun with Dick and Jane."
I hope so. Fun with Dick and Jane is a movie.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom