Spanos -- are you freakin' joking? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Spanos -- are you freakin' joking?

Reaction Score
For the love of God, when will people realize that Randy Edsall made success impossible for literally every player and coach? Don’t judge anyone based on their performance in the Randy 2.0 era. Spanos and Krajewski are probably tops on the list of people Randy made look bad in one way or another. Let them have a crack at their jobs surrounded by competent people.

Reaction Score
Except no one was talking about whether you can give them your support. Of course you can. You were criticizing someone else for not simply buying everything being sold without inspection.
Yes, I was criticizing the person who decided Mora shouldn’t have had the opportunity to choose his DC. I get that some here don’t think he has that right. I think Mora would back me. You can make sure this gets thrown at me next year.

Reaction Score
Here's another way to look at it: If a team should have 5 drives a half, how many td's did we give up after the 4th or 5th drive? How many during the first 5 drives? That is where the wear down came, where you run out of looks to show the offense, etc. An offense could go 3 and out and know they would be back on in 2 minutes to try again. Eventually you make enough adjustments offensively and the D breaks down. That is why RE wanted to slow the game down because that was his only way he thought we could win.

We ran a hurry up that went 3 and out over and over again. You can't blame Spanos for that.
Our time of possession was over 32 minutes in 2019, we still sucked on defense and Spanos was D coordinator.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I’d like the fanbase to get behind the new staff and players… at least until they show you something on the field, or how character issues off the field are handled. We’re starting this new year, 2022, at 0-0.
The problem is we no longer have a new staff…we have retained a part of the staff that was responsible for a lot of the suck.

Reaction Score
The DC whose defense NEVER used disguise. No movement on D line pre-snap. Just show the defense and play the defense Spanos.

Disappointed beyond belief. He has been flat off awful. And Mora hires him? WTTF?

I’m willing to put the rose colored glasses on and believe that the delay was to give Spanos a chance to maybe get a decent HC gig somewhere else. Just a thought
Where? Division 3 or HS ? all we did was lose. He was a fallback.

I so look forward to a Mora offense to keep Defense off field.

Does anyone know if past Spanos Defenses were aggressive like the old Don Brown blitzes?

Also, did the $$$figures for the coaches pool ever come out. I am curious to see what we had to offer.

Reaction Score
Or maybe just maybe no one else wanted the job hence the date kept getting pushed back.
I try to look at it as a positive because Mora chose him. If we truly wanted him from the start then why didn't we announce it earlier? I wonder how much $money$ we offered the other options to be a DC before we settled on backup to the backup.

All I can say to Spanos is to please be aggressive on D. I know RE shackled him down, but RE was gone majority of 2021 and we still didn't blitz or even try to not be vanilla. Even that one opposing QB said he knew what was going on cuz we were so easy to read.

BE UNCOMMON!!!

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The problem is we no longer have a new staff…we have retained a part of the staff that was responsible for a lot of the suck.
His resume says he doesn't suck. I don't care who you are coaching. If you don't have talent you can be Bear Bryant, Bill Belichick or Bill Parcells. Schemes only get you so far or did you forget Don Brown's first year?

Reaction Score
For those who thought the D was bland and the opponents knew from alignment what we were doing, remember who was the D coordinator from the 3rd game on. Hint, it wasn't Spanos. Also, how many blown coverages did you see early on. Quite a few, so how do you fix that? Either change personnel or make things basic so the guys do the basics. Either way, Spanos is not the problem and if you think you are smarter than Mora, then there is nothing more to say.
If you think Spanos who was trying to become the permanent HC and allowed Horton to call plays with no input he’s incompetent or you need your head checked.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
His resume says he doesn't suck. I don't care who you are coaching. If you don't have talent you can be Bear Bryant, Bill Belichick or Bill Parcells. Schemes only get you so far or did you forget Don Brown's first year?
Who was responsible for getting the talent? (hint: the guy you are defending).

Reaction Score
Our time of possession was over 32 minutes in 2019, we still sucked on defense and Spanos was D coordinator.
People will say the defense was “young”. Same excuse they’ve used for yrs

Reaction Score
People will say the defense was “young”. Same excuse they’ve used for yrs
It was young. It isn’t an excuse. It is another Edsall failure. He ran off the older players and didn’t replace them with transfers. We were playing a stupid number of freshman and sophomores all over the field. That’s was Edsall failing. That’s why we have a new coach.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Who was responsible for getting the talent? (hint: the guy you are defending).
No that would have been Randy Edsall or did you forget who was coach.

Look at his resume in the pro's "He has a Super Bowl Ring"

Reaction Score
It was young. It isn’t an excuse. It is another Edsall failure. He ran off the older players and didn’t replace them with transfers. We were playing a stupid number of freshman and sophomores all over the field. That’s was Edsall failing. That’s why we have a new coach.
Is it that or were they just terrible football players and that's why they transferred to FCS or even D-2?

Reaction Score
You can feel pretty confident that it’s at least a “good” hire when all the usual sour suspects with >3:1 post:like ratios drone on and on about how it’s such a bad hire.

Reaction Score
Where? Division 3 or HS ? all we did was lose. He was a fallback.

I so look forward to a Mora offense to keep Defense off field.

Does anyone know if past Spanos Defenses were aggressive like the old Don Brown blitzes?

Also, did the $$$figures for the coaches pool ever come out. I am curious to see what we had to offer.
Spanos had 2 years left on his contract we were going to pay him either way!!!

Reaction Score
If you're "program first", then you should be supporting the choices Mora is making. It's his program, not yours.
Good Lord, please stop. Retaining the DC leading the 115th to 130th worst defense in FBS is plain ludicrous by any standard. And, it’s the University’s program, not his.

Reaction Score
We let teams rack up insane points in the first half of nearly every game. The idea that it was the second half that we lost because of being tired is insane. 5 games or nearly 50% of our games we allowed over 30 Points in the first half with a high of 42 first half points against Army. 8 games out of 12, the other team had over 20 points by halftime. Most of our games hard far less points in the second half as they put in backups because they had scored so much already.
Best post of the night!

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
No that would have been Randy Edsall or did you forget who was coach.

Look at his resume in the pro's "He has a Super Bowl Ring"
Coordinators lead recruiting for their side of the ball. Coaches sell the program and close key targets.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom