Spanos -- are you freakin' joking? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Spanos -- are you freakin' joking?

Reaction Score
I’m neutral on the hire, but how the heck do you know he wasn’t polishing his resume and looking for his next job? And, at the end of the day, just didn’t have a better opportunity anywhere?

It’s o.k. to be happy that we have a former NFL coach and a mostly new staff without needing to pretend that every bite of steak you ever eat came from Capital Grill.
One of my favorite Steak Houses.

Reaction Score
I’m willing to put the rose colored glasses on and believe that the delay was to give Spanos a chance to maybe get a decent HC gig somewhere else. Just a thought

It's just as valid of a speculation as all the other ones put forth in this thread. We may never know the exact truth, but I'm in the camp that having Spanos on staff will be a big net positive for our overall performance as a team next year.

And I expect to see substantial improvements in D performance since Spanos as a DC can now focus efforts on it (doubt he was able to do what he would have liked to due to interim HC duties). He allso will have Mora as a HC to work with who, in my opinion, is at least 5-10x the defense-minded coach vs. Edsall.

Reaction Score
This is where I am too. I say give him a year and see what happens.
This is Div 1 football, Uconn needs a proven winner not a proven loser !!! Like they say 1 step forward and two backwards !!

Reaction Score
This is an ash * the offence will have to be on the field 40+ minutes per game. And score 40+ points

Reaction Score
What would be the delay? And why announce that no one’s from the existing staff was returning?
I don’t recall the school ever announcing that. I believe S&C coach is sticking. And if you listened to Jim speak yesterday, u know Mike Z was killing himself.

Reaction Score
If he couldn’t coach defense and young men, Mora would not have given him the job. IMO the idea that he could find anyone else is ridiculous and goes along with a defeatist mentality that many have.
They are buddies !

Reaction Score
The DC whose defense NEVER used disguise. No movement on D line pre-snap. Just show the defense and play the defense Spanos.

Disappointed beyond belief. He has been flat off awful. And Mora hires him? WTTF?
We were thinking of getting back the 13 season tickets we gave up but not anymore .

Reaction Score
This is Div 1 football, Uconn needs a proven winner not a proven loser !!! Like they say 1 step forward and two backwards !!
He has been a proven winner wherever else he has been. I'm willing to give it a year to see if maybe it was extenuating circumstances (lack of talent to do what he wanted to do) that lead to the unacceptable results.

Reaction Score
He has been a proven winner wherever else he has been. I'm willing to give it a year to see if maybe it was extenuating circumstances (lack of talent to do what he wanted to do) that lead to the unacceptable results.
Mora and Spanos had winning records the last time they were together. They seem to have a good connection. What do people want? Someone that Mora doesn't know, who won't have any input on the LBs or DBs or DL coaches? This will be Mora's defense, just like the past ones were on Edsall.

Reaction Score
Love these comments about he is flat out awful, he stinks and Mora is an idiot.....so easy to sit back and make those simplistic comments....I support the decision as well....they have worked together, the kids have played hard for him, they played very well at times....let’s see what happens with a talent upgrade along with Mora’s influence.....and you have to consider the defense being on the field so damn long due to the offense not moving to ball.

To say you are not getting tickets due to this DC hire is a ridiculous comment.

Reaction Score
If you're "program first", then you should be supporting the choices Mora is making. It's his program, not yours.

You mean like everyone had to support Edsall going with Jack Z to start the season? One can support a team or franchise without having to like every decision it makes. It's only if you support a cult that you can't question anything that the leader does.

Reaction Score
It
This thread is becoming a joke. We are gonna hammer the guy for last season when 90% of other coaches would have been polishing their resume and looking for their next job. He wants to be here, he understands the program and has experience with the current HC. He is a coordinator, he works with the HC and personnel. Why bail on the guy before you see what he can install in a new system. If you can’t see what this hire meant to the players who obviously have faith in his ability then you’re not paying attention. Let’s hold judgement till the season shall we.
its not gonna be a new system it’s gonna be the same old crap defensive system he’s run since he got here.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What do people want?
The suck to stop.

This board, and this Fanbase, has football PTSD. It’s been a decade of suck and that tends to leave a mark.

It’s funny, because both sides on this board are absolutely correct. Mora and Spanos were successful together, yet, our defense last year was notably predictable as a few opposing coaches indicated.

I’m cautiously optimistic, but I fully expect there will be growing pains.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It worked at UCLA. Mora is a defensive coach. Spanos was really the only coach the players heavily lobbied for. Who knows who was better out there that said no. One thing is important to me. Spanos isn't headstrong. He'll create a defense with Mora that fits Mora's philosophy and the skills and strengths of the players that have to execute it. Bottom line it's a done deal. I'm supporting it.
Winning over the players you inherit is a big deal. There will be more incumbents then newbies on the squad, getting them on board will be a key to success. This is a good move from a HC who continues to prove he knows what he's doing.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
So weird that we have a 20 page thread on the coaching staff and Pal has to start his own thread.
He has a history of going off on his own Enterprise...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom