Southern Illinois 30 Tenn 27 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Southern Illinois 30 Tenn 27

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The folks over on VolNation are understandably out of their minds with their team’s performance against a team they should have handled easily. Several concerns:

• Hard to see TN as the 15th ranked team in WBB
  • Horston’s injury supposedly not too serious, but Burrell’s injury did not look good.
  • Key in foul trouble all night, and didn’t do much against a team she towered over.
  • I’ve never seen Thompson-Boling arena with fewer fans for a WBB game.

It could be a long season in Knoxville.
After the departure of Davis, Burrell figured to be their best player this year. Losing her is a terrible blow to the team.

Maybe I've lost my edge a bit, but my usual desire to see them lose was totally sapped when she went out of the game. Hopefully it's not as serious as word would have it.

Reaction Score
After the departure of Davis, Burrell figured to be their best player this year. Losing her is a terrible blow to the team.

Maybe I've lost my edge a bit, but my usual desire to see them lose was totally sapped when she went out of the game. Hopefully it's not as serious as word would have it.
You’ve lost it. It ALWAYS to se them lose. Not because of the players but their Fans.

Reaction Score
TN is going to lose a lot of games. Not sure all the issues I witnessed can be fixed within a season. For starters....personal fouls aside...your starting center should get more than ONE field goal attempt! TN scored more points tonight, BUT they didn't win anything. Having said that...it makes the game against them a trap since a win might be one of the few positives that they'll be able to hang their hat on this season.

Reaction Score
I watched the game. Burrell mouthed the words " I heard something pop ".
I thought it was probably ligament damage, though other posters were thinking meniscus.
Tennessee's next game is Friday at UCF.
Not an easy game.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I'm glad to get the win. Southern Illinois only scored 19 points in the 3nd half and just 7 in the the fourth. I had head Brooklyn Miles can play d on the ball. She did. Kellie had said she was going to play the freshman early.

Reaction Score
TN is going to lose a lot of games. Not sure all the issues I witnessed can be fixed within a season. For starters....personal fouls aside...your starting center should get more than ONE field goal attempt! TN scored more points tonight, BUT they didn't win anything. Having said that...it makes the game against them a trap since a win might be one of the few positives that they'll be able to hang their hat on this season.
And Tennessee fans talked major mess about UConns post players after the Ft Hay’s game. Lol

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
S. Illinois misses wide open layup (with no one else on that side of court)
That particular player killed SIU with her mistakes. She hit one three but otherwise, she did little to help.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Burrell left before halftime. She had to be helped off and couldn't walk on her right leg. She was grabbing her knee area. I'm not sure what's going on with Horston but she was injured in practice and is expected to return next game.
Reported on Tenn site that poor Burrel was taken to the hospital. Good wishes to her.

Reaction Score
Oh boy! Forced one turnover against Southern Illinois. A team that finished 8th out of 10 teams in the Missouri Valley. Final Four here we come.
Everything changes next season when Justine get there. She is the savior!

Reaction Score
Very sad to see Burrell go down, as she was no doubt in my mind the star of this Tennessee team. This has been said before but the injury bug has unfortunately reared its ugly head this season, praying for her that its nothing too serious.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You’ve lost it. It ALWAYS to se them lose. Not because of the players but their Fans.
One thing appears clear. There are a lot fewer Lady Vol fans than there once were. I can’t believe how relatively empty Thompson-Boling Arena was last night.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Sad about Burrell. 4th quarter I was surprised SI, didn't get a call against them for too many players on the ice.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
yes prayers for Burrell that injury is not too severe..... she is good player
Prayers for her even if she was not a good player. Mediocre players need prayers too. However, I know what you mean. Just messing with you.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Oh no! She is the ONLY player I like on that team. She made a bad decision going there. JMO. She needed “coaching”
It’s gonna be a looooooong season for the delusional
Burrell made a great decision to attend UT, if you've followed her career you'd know she's improved by leaps and bounds under Harper.

Coming out of HS she was ranked as the #43 recruit by HG and #119 by Prospect Nation.

As a freshman she played out of control with poor decision making and never found a rhythm. Averaged 3.6 points, shot 31.7% from the floor. Lots of energy, zero polish or control. Played for Holly.

As a sophomore she emerged as a consistent scoring option and was hugely improved but still struggled some with decision making. Averaged 10.5 point, shot 41.0% from the floor.

As a junior she blossomed into a star player and helped elevate Tennessee to become a top 15 team. Decision making was markedly better. She averaged 16.8 points, shot 45.8% from the floor and 40% from deep.

Prior to last night's injury she was a potential lottery pick for the upcoming draft and has a game that likely translates well to the pros, though she obviously could still use some more fine tuning. Had she gone to a top 10 program, there's a likely chance she rides the pine her first year or 2 and doesn't get nearly the same development she's had at Tennessee. Over her 3 years she's been able to play through mistakes, improve upon her short comings and has blossomed into an excellent basketball player.

There is a laundry list of Tennessee players you could argue made a poor choice of attending UT (assuming improving as basketball players was their top priority), but Burrell is not one of them.

Reaction Score
@bballnut90 I disagree. I think her improvement had more to do with maturity and not Kellies coaching. She is one hell of an athlete and would’ve been served better under a more seasoned and disciplined coach. Just my opinion is all.
Any and ALL players who attended Tennessee for basketball after Pat made a bad decision.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom