South Carolina vs Mississippi St - 3/04/18 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

South Carolina vs Mississippi St - 3/04/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Not sure how you keep South Carolina out of Lexington as the 2 seed. Blew out 3 ranked teams in 72 hours including #2 undefeated.

Miss State absolutely has a South Carolina problem. They looked defeated from the start. Terrible body language.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
They'll probably give Wilson as the MOP. I would give it to Harris of So Carolina.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not sure how you keep South Carolina out of Lexington as the 2 seed. Blew out 3 ranked teams in 72 hours including #2 undefeated.

Miss State absolutely has a South Carolina problem. They looked defeated from the start. Terrible body language.
Major implications for seeding in the tournament. SC’s win keeps them out of Albany.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm so disappointed that SCar lost. I'm bummed.

Wait, they won?

GO A'JA. GO A'JA.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO A'JA.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Congrats to SC. I was rooting against them but they thoroughly outplayed Mississippi State. Mississippi State played arguably their worst game of the season today. Rebounding was awful, McCowan was a no show, Vivians struggled, and the three point threats of her, Schaefer, and Johnson combined for 3-18 shooting from deep. On the year they shoot 40, 42, and 43% from deep. I doubt you'll see them shoot that poorly again.

Aside from that, they missed a ton of layups and just didn't look confident out there. When they play with poise and confidence, they're a much better team than South Carolina. SC definitely had the mental edge today and that was the biggest difference.

On a side note, it really is notable how significant the mental edge is when playing. SC has it over Mississippi State, but they look so defeated every time they play Connecticut. Mississippi State looked defeated today, but last year they played with so much confidence against the Huskies. Same scenario with Notre Dame/Louisville/UCONN. Louisville plays with much more confidence against Notre Dame than they did against the Huskies, and Notre Dame plays with more confidence against UCONN than they have against Louisville. Anytime heavy weights go head to head in the tournament, I think the more confident team is going to win the game, and it will likely be evident early who has the mental edge.

Reaction Score
Congrats to SC. I was rooting against them but they thoroughly outplayed Mississippi State. Mississippi State played arguably their worst game of the season today. Rebounding was awful, McCowan was a no show, Vivians struggled, and the three point threats of her, Schaefer, and Johnson combined for 3-18 shooting from deep. On the year they shoot 40, 42, and 43% from deep. I doubt you'll see them shoot that poorly again.

Aside from that, they missed a ton of layups and just didn't look confident out there. When they play with poise and confidence, they're a much better team than South Carolina. SC definitely had the mental edge today and that was the biggest difference.

On a side note, it really is notable how significant the mental edge is when playing. SC has it over Mississippi State, but they look so defeated every time they play Connecticut. Mississippi State looked defeated today, but last year they played with so much confidence against the Huskies. Same scenario with Notre Dame/Louisville/UCONN. Louisville plays with much more confidence against Notre Dame than they did against the Huskies, and Notre Dame plays with more confidence against UCONN than they have against Louisville. Anytime heavy weights go head to head in the tournament, I think the more confident team is going to win the game, and it will likely be evident early who has the mental edge.
such a good summary. thanks!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
On a side note, it really is notable how significant the mental edge is when playing. SC has it over Mississippi State, but they look so defeated every time they play Connecticut. Mississippi State looked defeated today, but last year they played with so much confidence against the Huskies.

Yeah, ain't it great? I love Dawn and her team, but I want them in the final, not MSS. I'd rather beat them in the semi's.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score

Wonderful summary. Having seen every MSU game this year, I can confirm that was our worst game all year. It just felt like the weight of a long season and the pressure of the winning streak finally broke them a bit. There aren't any other UConn's around. Most teams feel the weight of it all at some point.

If 32-1 was going to be the record after 33, the timing of the loss is probably not a bad thing for MSU's overall chances.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I thought MSU was half asleep in the second half. Missing two-foot-long shots, bad body language, not fighting hard for rebounds, and some questionable passes.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I think Mississippi State felt the pressure; I like their team and coach. Obviously, I wanted my Gamecocks to win, but I do feel bad for State. They lose 4 starters and they don't have much of a bench this season so I don't see them being nearly as good next season. USC loses A'ja, which is a huge loss, but with 4 starters + returning, I think we'll be good next year, especially if Cuevas-Moore plays her senior year. It would be nice to be the 2 in Lexington; we would take a lot of fans to that Regional site.

Reaction Score
I think Mississippi State felt the pressure; I like their team and coach. Obviously, I wanted my Gamecocks to win, but I do feel bad for State. They lose 4 starters and they don't have much of a bench this season so I don't see them being nearly as good next season. USC loses A'ja, which is a huge loss, but with 4 starters + returning, I think we'll be good next year, especially if Cuevas-Moore plays her senior year. It would be nice to be the 2 in Lexington; we would take a lot of fans to that Regional site.

This team seems to have found its trademark. Defense. Total opposite of what we have seen during the regular season. Dawn is starting to open up Hebert Harrigan and Grissetts skill set by playing them at the 3 to stretch the floor. I thought HH was phenomenal both defensively and offensively. She did a very respectable job on Vivians keeping her to 17 points, 3 points under her season average. The guards are starting to defend very well too, especially Jackson. I thought she was a big reason Blair went 0-5 from 3. Ty had an complete game tonight and showcased why she's the best PG in the SEC and one of the best in the country.

Next year we should be solid. We will have depth and both guard and forward. I expect us to be run and gun next year. 4 guards 1 stretch 4 (HH/Grissett), would be fast and potent.

Hopefully the NCAA sees that SC fans travel well and could be a potential sellout in Lexington (with both SC & Louisville) versus Albany which is probably sold out with UCONN fans at this point. Last year the Lexington Regional had the lowest attendance among the 4 with ND and Stanford, Texas and Ohio State. While in Stockton SC, Oregon St., Florida State, and Qunnipiac had more fans. I just hope they take that into consideration. If you watched the SEC final and the ACC final you can see that both fan bases travel well and would sellout Rupp Arena.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
This team seems to have found its trademark. Defense. Total opposite of what we have seen during the regular season. Dawn is starting to open up Hebert Harrigan and Grissetts skill set by playing them at the 3 to stretch the floor. I thought HH was phenomenal both defensively and offensively. She did a very respectable job on Vivians keeping her to 17 points, 3 points under her season average. The guards are starting to defend very well too, especially Jackson. I thought she was a big reason Blair went 0-5 from 3. Ty had an complete game tonight and showcased why she's the best PG in the SEC and one of the best in the country.

Next year we should be solid. We will have depth and both guard and forward. I expect us to be run and gun next year. 4 guards 1 stretch 4 (HH/Grissett), would be fast and potent.

Hopefully the NCAA sees that SC fans travel well and could be a potential sellout in Lexington (with both SC & Louisville) versus Albany which is probably sold out with UCONN fans at this point. Last year the Lexington Regional had the lowest attendance among the 4 with ND and Stanford, Texas and Ohio State. While in Stockton SC, Oregon St., Florida State, and Qunnipiac had more fans. I just hope they take that into consideration. If you watched the SEC final and the ACC final you can see that both fan bases travel well and would sellout Rupp Arena.

There is no way the Regional at Rupp would be a sellout; I doubt the Final Four would even sellout Rupp unless all four participants were relatively close by with large fan bases. Something like UCONN, USC, Louisville and ND.

Reaction Score
There is no way the Regional at Rupp would be a sellout; I doubt the Final Four would even sellout Rupp unless all four participants were relatively close by with large fan bases. Something like UCONN, USC, Louisville and ND.

It would certainly gather a crowd bigger then what it was last year. I think it would certainly be well over 10,000 fans in attendance.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Rupp arena seats about 23,500....... when was the last time a WCBB game of any kind drew that many people

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Well I picked SC to win. Two factors determined my pick. One, SC's experience in big games - this includes players and coaching. Experience is a great teacher and SC has taken their lumps. This factor can never be overlooked. Two, the pressure on MSST being undefeated and playing for their first tournament title. Not knocking MSST, but they don't have the experience in big games that SC does. Experience does count.

How this will all play out for the NCAA's will be interesting. MSST still gets a #1 seed. SC will be a #2 seed. It will be interesting to see what region SC ends up. I'm sure SC doesn't want the Albany region!

Reaction Score
I think the SC / MS game demonstrated a lot of things only one of which might be not so good for U Conn.
First of all, McGowan still has huge flaws in her game when she's facing a very good big. She doesn't move well offensively or defensively. What she does is take huge advantage of is her size and strength. If these are somewhat neutralized, so is MS.
MS is an excellent defensive team but I think offensively challenged when pressured.
I thought this last year too. I was shocked they were even close let alone beat us. They surely won fair and square but they played their best game and we surely did not. Yes, they now know they can beat us and as stated previously, confidence is very important. But so too is a program's history and what that brings in big moments. I have no doubt that Geno, CD and the other coaches, and especially the players will see everything that occurred in this MS loss and more, that we will be fully prepared and ready this time. I expect us to beat them by 12-15 points or more.
As to SC this was a great win for them deserving all the kudos. Wilson had a very strong game, and as much as I want and believe KLS is player of the year, I think this win clinched it for Wilson. (That's the bad news). I can't see them coming close to beating us, as even with Wilson having a good game, it's not enough, and she's yet to do that.
I do think there are maybe six other very good teams but only one excellent maybe superb team, and that is U Conn BUT, we must stay focused, not overconfident, injury free and out of serious foul trouble. If we do, there will be a 12th NC.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Wonderful summary. Having seen every MSU game this year, I can confirm that was our worst game all year. It just felt like the weight of a long season and the pressure of the winning streak finally broke them a bit. There aren't any other UConn's around. Most teams feel the weight of it all at some point.

If 32-1 was going to be the record after 33, the timing of the loss is probably not a bad thing for MSU's overall chances.

the one game you lost this year (and by double digits) was your worst game of the season...I would say so yes.

South Carolina matched Miss State's intensity and then did not falter when Miss State made its run. And the difference this time was Wilson's teammates making some plays around her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom