South Carolina Pre-Game Stuff | Page 3 | The Boneyard

South Carolina Pre-Game Stuff

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
"I'll admit it's an impressive run, however unless you live in the Connecticut area I doubt anyone else really cares"

This is the kind of dribble that is still being voiced on another UConn thread. The funny thing is, this guy really believes it. This guy is clueless. SMH. :confused:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm surprised that so many of you seem to be unable to understand Dawn's point or to allow that it has any validity. In my opinion, it certainly does.

Even if there were no WNBA and no overseas professional basketball, isn't it obvious that nearly all of the players on this year's UConn team would have excellent chances (probably better than most college graduates) of having a successful professional career? Most of them are doing very well academically; they are well-spoken; they can relate to older adults such as their future bosses in an office; and they have learned to play as a good teammate long before they came to UConn. Those qualities, as much as their athletic ability, were what made them attractive to Geno and CD as recruits.

Of course, this has a lot to do with the strong families from which they all come -- no one on the team came from an impoverished background, and most (if not all) come from stable, two-parent families.

On the South Carolina roster, A'ja Wilson certainly fits a similar profile, which is probably a big reason why she was a UConn recruiting target. But I bet that several of their other players did not come from such a fortunate background, and I think that is what Dawn is talking about.

Nationally, I think Stanford, Notre Dame, and Duke (among major NC contenders) are able to attract enough students from relatively fortunate backgrounds, as UConn does. Most likely, other top teams have to choose between getting capable athletes and getting players who are fully prepared for the real (professional) world. That means that coaches such as Dawn have to deal with those issues much more than Geno / Muffitt / Tara do.

It's a significant issue that shouldn't be minimized or disregarded.

She's talking out of both sides of her mouth and highly inaccurate about UConn. The full quote:

“I’d like to think it’s my way or no way, but at some point these players have you. Because you need them, you need them to perform. But for me, in coaching, I’ve got to coach players through basketball (and) life lessons. He gets the players where he can just coach basketball. Because they pretty much do what they need to do,” she said.

“Most UConn players go play professionally. Most of mine don’t go play professionally. They go into the real world, so we’ve got to have balance in what we’re doing. Not to say he doesn't go through it. But I’m going to take a kid that kind of looks like me, grew up like me, take a chance on them, and hopefully they end up with the type of success I’ve had, versus getting someone that's probably ready-made for the real world.”

Most UConn players don't enter the real world, so Geno doesn't have to coach real world, only basketball. Huh? How much time a day do Staley and staff devote to "Real World 101, et seq?? I'd like to see the syllabus, would't you. It's a bunch of double talk and pyscho-babble which plays to so-called liberal perceptions which are actually prejudices marching around as facts.

Source on full quote: Gamecocks stand as final hurdle between UConn and 100 — and maybe much more

Reaction Score
Expand the above-referenced video post. I was, until viewing this second video, the one of Gabby and Kia, enjoying a high level of confidence regarding the Huskies chances tonight. Now that I've gotten a look, up close and personal, at how clearly petrified these two are, how overwhelmed they are by the pressure, to which any keen observer can bear witness, all that confidence is shattered. If they're so clealy terrified, I guess we all should react similarly!

Maybe the odds makers have seen the same clip. Huskies are now favored by 17! Be loud, proud, be a great Husky!

upload_2017-2-13_14-28-20.png

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Dawn is babbling a lot in this story. I understand what she is saying about the type of players she has recruited and giving kids a chance. All well and good and she should be commended for it. But to say Geno doesn't teach life lessons is hogwash! The moment UConn players step on campus it life lesson 101.

Maybe Dawn should talk to Jamelle Elliot and were she came from and what Geno has means to her. No player is ready-made for the world. That's phyco babble. Nobody is made for the real world. We all learn to live in the real world as we grow, some better than others.

Reaction Score
I don't know whats going on but the betting line this morning was Uconn-13.5, it is now up to 18. Also, the
over and under was 129.5 this morning, it is now 139. Maybe someone is not playing for S. Carolina. That is
a big move in the line.

Reaction Score
I don't know whats going on but the betting line this morning was Uconn-13.5, it is now up to 18. Also, the
over and under was 129.5 this morning, it is now 139. Maybe someone is not playing for S. Carolina. That is
a big move in the line.
Maybe Maya is playing for UConn. :D :rolleyes:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Too many people were betting on UConn so line kept moving....

Reaction Score
6:18PM, the line is now up to 20 and over/under is up to 144.5???????????

Reaction Score
6:58pm, now the line is 16, this is very unusual to see this much fluctuation. Over/Under is now 140.5

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Dee Kantner is doing the LSU v Vanderbilt game. Is that good or bad, or no difference that she wont be in Storrs?

Reaction Score
6:58pm, now the line is 16, this is very unusual to see this much fluctuation. Over/Under is now 140.5
The line got too big so some smart money came in on the other side and evened it out. Suspect there is normally very little $$ bet on WBB, so it might only take a one or two big bettors to swing it back & forth.

Reaction Score
Dee Kantner is doing the LSU v Vanderbilt game. Is that good or bad, or no difference that she wont be in Storrs?
I've heard here that she doesn't like Geno. ?? I like her, think she is highly competent, which is apparently not the norm (heard that here too :p )

Reaction Score
I've heard here that she doesn't like Geno. ?? I like her, think she is highly competent, which is apparently not the norm (heard that here too :p )
She's been fine in recent years in my opinion. Back when Stef was here, I knew she'd be starting the game with 2 fouls. That's when Dee really irritated me.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I'm shocked that Kantner isn't here and did the Vandy-LSU game. So I presume we're going to see Lisa Mattingly?

Reaction Score
I'm surprised that so many of you seem to be unable to understand Dawn's point or to allow that it has any validity. In my opinion, it certainly does.

Even if there were no WNBA and no overseas professional basketball, isn't it obvious that nearly all of the players on this year's UConn team would have excellent chances (probably better than most college graduates) of having a successful professional career? Most of them are doing very well academically; they are well-spoken; they can relate to older adults such as their future bosses in an office; and they have learned to play as a good teammate long before they came to UConn. Those qualities, as much as their athletic ability, were what made them attractive to Geno and CD as recruits.

Of course, this has a lot to do with the strong families from which they all come -- no one on the team came from an impoverished background, and most (if not all) come from stable, two-parent families.

On the South Carolina roster, A'ja Wilson certainly fits a similar profile, which is probably a big reason why she was a UConn recruiting target. But I bet that several of their other players did not come from such a fortunate background, and I think that is what Dawn is talking about.

Nationally, I think Stanford, Notre Dame, and Duke (among major NC contenders) are able to attract enough students from relatively fortunate backgrounds, as UConn does. Most likely, other top teams have to choose between getting capable athletes and getting players who are fully prepared for the real (professional) world. That means that coaches such as Dawn have to deal with those issues much more than Geno / Muffitt / Tara do.

It's a significant issue that shouldn't be minimized or disregarded.
As long as she keeps recruiting those kids she'll have those problems. Apparently she doesn't get her way with them. Never saw that side of her, and it isn't pretty.

Reaction Score
As long as she keeps recruiting those kids she'll have those problems. Apparently she doesn't get her way with them. Never saw that side of her, and it isn't pretty.
It's just another way of saying Geno gets all the best players, even though she has arguably the best player in the country on her team.

Reaction Score
Geno recruited Aja Wilson very hard, because in his opinion, Aja was a fit for his program's profile. But, she decided to go to the USC Gamecocks. Was she life ready when Geno was recruiting her but has now regressed? I submit, if Geno had gotten Aja Wilson, not only would her game be more refined and polished, but her presentation in the media would also be more refined and polished. I also believe she would be better prepared for life after college and basketball. I think Dawn was giving her honest opinion, one she has clearly thought about and fleshed out. But I think she has drawn the wrong conclusions.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm felling pretty good about things today. Most of my pre-game predictions came to pass, like this one.....................................

I'll make a prediction here because it's what I do - This is a BIG game. The last one for the regular season. The coaches know it. The players know it. UConn usually plays well in BIG games.
Geno always has his girls ready to play in these types of games. He knows what to say, and how to say it. Gampel will be sold out. That means a large raucous crowd that the team will be feeding off of;
UConn's 6th man if you will. Walking into Gampel is hard enough with all of the banners and retired jerseys looking down on you, reminding you of the greatness of UConn teams past.

The fact that UConn is currently riding a 99 game win streak doesn't make things any better. Both teams will have some butterflies to start the game. If UConn can begin the game with a quick 8-0 run to start, that should calm their nerves, and heighten the Gamecock's. Massey says there's a 91% chance UConn wins this game. That means there's only a 9% chance SC will. No matter how you twist or turn that. Those are mighty slim odds. Massey predicts a 14 point UConn victory - 77 - 63. Massey is seldom wrong. I like Massey. For all these reasons and more, Carnac likes UConn...BIG time. Carnac predicts that Geno will be smiling during his post game interviews tomorrow night.

"We've got a chance" ~ Geno Auriemma.

Carnac, Sunday at 3:26 PM Report

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom