South Carolina Pre-Game Stuff | The Boneyard

South Carolina Pre-Game Stuff

Reaction Score
Hmmm...

upload_2017-2-12_14-28-24.png

COLUMBIA — This was supposed to be the season they were finally vulnerable.

After losing players who would become the top three selections in the WNBA draft, this was supposed to be the season Connecticut came back to the field.

As usual, it’s UConn head coach Geno Auriemma getting the last laugh. When No. 6 South Carolina travels to Gampel Pavilion in Storrs, Conn., for Monday’s night’s showdown with the Huskies, it will face a Connecticut team that hasn’t slipped back to the pack — but only reestablished its dominance, with an iron grip on No. 1 in the poll and a record winning streak that threatens to reach an even 100 games against the Gamecocks.

Gamecocks head coach Dawn Staley hasn’t mentioned UConn’s streak to her team. “I haven’t even brought that stuff up,” she said. Instead she’s emphasized that this is the last chance for her upperclassmen to win in Storrs, and her message after practice Sunday was one of belief in her squad.

“We have a good team we’re taking up there,” she said. “I believe in them. I believe that we can win the basketball game. I just feel like we need to stay in character, stay organized, and we need to communicate, because it’s a tough environment.”

How does UConn keep it going, even after personnel losses that would cripple most other teams? Staley, an assistant to Auriemma at the 2016 Olympics, said the Huskies head coach is “very fortunate that it’s his way or no way,” which isn’t the case at every program.

“I’d like to think it’s my way or no way, but at some point these players have you. Because you need them, you need them to perform. But for me, in coaching, I’ve got to coach players through basketball (and) life lessons. He gets the players where he can just coach basketball. Because they pretty much do what they need to do,” she said.

[FULL ARTICLE]

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
“I’d like to think it’s my way or no way, but at some point these players have you. Because you need them, you need them to perform. But for me, in coaching, I’ve got to coach players through basketball (and) life lessons. He gets the players where he can just coach basketball. Because they pretty much do what they need to do,” she said.
Hmmm..

COLUMBIA — This was supposed to be the season they were finally vulnerable.

After losing players who would become the top three selections in the WNBA draft, this was supposed to be the season Connecticut came back to the field.

As usual, it’s UConn head coach Geno Auriemma getting the last laugh. When No. 6 South Carolina travels to Gampel Pavilion in Storrs, Conn., for Monday’s night’s showdown with the Huskies, it will face a Connecticut team that hasn’t slipped back to the pack — but only reestablished its dominance, with an iron grip on No. 1 in the poll and a record winning streak that threatens to reach an even 100 games against the Gamecocks.

Gamecocks head coach Dawn Staley hasn’t mentioned UConn’s streak to her team. “I haven’t even brought that stuff up,” she said. Instead she’s emphasized that this is the last chance for her upperclassmen to win in Storrs, and her message after practice Sunday was one of belief in her squad.

“We have a good team we’re taking up there,” she said. “I believe in them. I believe that we can win the basketball game. I just feel like we need to stay in character, stay organized, and we need to communicate, because it’s a tough environment.”

How does UConn keep it going, even after personnel losses that would cripple most other teams? Staley, an assistant to Auriemma at the 2016 Olympics, said the Huskies head coach is “very fortunate that it’s his way or no way,” which isn’t the case at every program.

[FULL ARTICLE]

Wow, yet another coach questioning their team's motivation and/or effort. I might expect this from Holly, but it really surprises me coming from Dawn.

Reaction Score

Wow, yet another coach questioning their team's motivation and/or effort. I might expect this from Holly, but it really surprises me coming from Dawn.
I thought she was more saying she is at a disadvantage because Geno gets players who are "ready made for the real world" and "most UConn players go on to play in the WNBA", so he doesn't really have to teach them about real life - can just focus on basketball. Where she gets players who are more disadvantaged and not ready for real life, and also are less likely to play in the WNBA. So she has to teach them basketball AND life. Total rationalization and BS IMO.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

What the heck is she babbling about?

Reaction Score
Just checked the UConn website. It lists the game as a sellout but still shows a few single tickets available on the map. Wonder how the resale sites are doing. I may or may not go - Winter driving wuss and driving back over Franklin hill late at night if it is icy does not sound good!
Geno is going to be on Good Morning America in the 8:30 time section!

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Interesting read.
"South Carolina is one of three programs in the nation to appear in every AP top 10 since the start of the 2014-15 season."

Interesting tidbit of information. I'd venture to say the other two unmentioned teams are Notre Dame and UCONN.

Come to think of it, when was the last time UCONN fell out of the top 5 in the polls? Has to be some years now...that's got to be a long streak in itself. 2007? 2006?

Reaction Score
"South Carolina is one of three programs in the nation to appear in every AP top 10 since the start of the 2014-15 season."

Interesting tidbit of information. I'd venture to say the other two unmentioned teams are Notre Dame and UCONN.

Come to think of it, when was the last time UCONN fell out of the top 5 in the polls? Has to be some years now..that's got to be a long streak in itself. 2007? 2006?
Probably some time in the 2011-12 time frame would be my guess.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Let them talk. The more Dawn Staley and her team talk, the more motivated UConn will be.

Geno will not be able to call this team off, like he did last year.

I am going to sit back, and enjoy the game. There will be some amazing plays from the Huskies, and South Carolina will not know what hit them.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Very strange comments. True, she had to fight hard to get the program to the level of a national power but the talent level she is recruiting (as well as transfers) is now as good as anyone in the country. I do not see how our kids are more magically able to handle the rigors of college then other students. Top recruits are already playing AAU and tournament BB and this requires resources and help which they are getting.

Even if our players get to the WNBA and not all do, that is the real world just as much of any other job. And the stresses our program has in regards to maintaining our level is unique. SC's problem is not the learning of "life skills" but getting their offense to an elite level.

Reaction Score

Actually what it makes it sound like to me is she is implying that Geno has it a whole lot easier because he has talented girls that coming in have bought into "team first" so he doesn't have to do much more than coach them a little while she and others have to change players into something they are not so it's not just coaching that they have to do. It sounds like she's blowing her horn and trying to diminish Geno's achievements because it's "easier for him". "Geno gets the best talent with the best mindset" coming in. I, myself. am not buying any of that. He built UConn up from nothing and he, over many years, has established that what he demands from any players he has now OR HAS EVER HAD, is that "if you don't want to play team ball and defer to the better scoring opportunity or better option, don't bother coming to Storrs". Dawn's innuendo is really unsettling to me and it actually diminishes what I think of her as a coach and as a person. He gets those certain type players because they want to win and be part of history and become the best they can. How much better do you think Aja Wilson would be if she had agreed to come to Storrs and bought into Geno's creed???? I can assure you, she would be better than she is at this point in time.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
What the heck is she babbling about?
I'm surprised that so many of you seem to be unable to understand Dawn's point or to allow that it has any validity. In my opinion, it certainly does.

Even if there were no WNBA and no overseas professional basketball, isn't it obvious that nearly all of the players on this year's UConn team would have excellent chances (probably better than most college graduates) of having a successful professional career? Most of them are doing very well academically; they are well-spoken; they can relate to older adults such as their future bosses in an office; and they have learned to play as a good teammate long before they came to UConn. Those qualities, as much as their athletic ability, were what made them attractive to Geno and CD as recruits.

Of course, this has a lot to do with the strong families from which they all come -- no one on the team came from an impoverished background, and most (if not all) come from stable, two-parent families.

On the South Carolina roster, A'ja Wilson certainly fits a similar profile, which is probably a big reason why she was a UConn recruiting target. But I bet that several of their other players did not come from such a fortunate background, and I think that is what Dawn is talking about.

Nationally, I think Stanford, Notre Dame, and Duke (among major NC contenders) are able to attract enough students from relatively fortunate backgrounds, as UConn does. Most likely, other top teams have to choose between getting capable athletes and getting players who are fully prepared for the real (professional) world. That means that coaches such as Dawn have to deal with those issues much more than Geno / Muffitt / Tara do.

It's a significant issue that shouldn't be minimized or disregarded.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You gotta love the news media. They have mastered the art of putting players on the spot by asking tough questions that players can only answer one way. The news hounds are quick to put a microphone to a player's mouth hoping for and exclusive or a mistake. Players don't want to make predictions, or anything that could be remotely taken for one. Those should only be made by the head coach. Wilson answered a question about UConn's 99 game win streak by giving a very "vanilla" and respectful (to UConn) answer.

She can't say what she's thinking. It could be bulletin board material. She can't say "We're scared". We don't think we can beat them. They've already beat us twice during this streak, why should Monday's game be different? We can't seem to beat them. Better teams than us have already tried this season, and they failed. I don't think we can beat them".
Their fans, the media and WCBB would crush them if they did that.

I don't give any credence to what athletes say in those types of interviews. They're wearing a muzzle, and are instructed to give only cliche' answers. South Carolina is the last top ranked team to play UConn, but I don't think they are the best of that lot. I think BAYLOR and Maryland were the two teams that had the best chance (potential) of beating UConn, and the best of the top ranked teams on the schedule. What is SC going to bring to the table that none of the other top ranked teams didn't?. Eight top ranked programs: FSU, Baylor, DePaul, Texas, Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Maryland all gave it their best. Each one of them wanted desperately to be the first to beat UConn this year, and halt the steak.

I'll make a prediction here because it's what I do. This is a BIG game. The last one for the regular season. The coaches know it. The players know it. UConn usually plays well in BIG games.
Geno always has his girls ready to play in these types of games. He knows what to say, and how to say it. Gampel will be sold out. That means a large raucous crowd that the team will be feeding off of;
UConn's 6th man if you will. Walking into Gampel is hard enough with all of the banners and retired jerseys looking down on you, reminding you of the greatness of UConn teams past.

The fact that UConn is currently riding a 99 game win streak doesn't make things any better. Both teams will have some butterflies to start the game. If UConn can begin the game with a quick 8-0 run to start, that should calm their nerves, and heighten the Gamecock's. Massey says there's a 91% chance UConn wins this game. That means there's only a 9% chance SC will. No matter how you twist or turn that. Those are mighty slim odds. Massey predicts a 14 point UConn victory - 77 - 63. Massey is seldom wrong. I like Massey. For all these reasons and more, Carnac likes UConn....BIG time. Carnac predicts that Geno will be smiling during his post game interviews tomorrow night.

"We've got a chance" ~ Geno Auriemma.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"He gets the players where he can just coach basketball. Because they pretty much do what they need to do,” she said." Then how is it so many UConn alums go out of their way to say Geno (and CD) taught them so much more than the game of basketball;that they prepared the players for life after basketball. This is simply prattle from someone who has just re-articulated the standard cop out of other coaches: He gets all the best players.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She can't say "We're scared". We don't think we can beat them. They've already beat us twice during this streak, why should Monday's game be different? We can't seem to beat them. Better teams than us have already tried this season, and they failed. I don't think we can beat them".

Carnac, I don't think she's thinking that at all. BUT, I do think she is someone who has been unwilling to lay it all out there too many times and her game has not materially expanded under Dawn's tutelage. Who knows, maybe she and her team mates will light it up tomorrow night, but for reasons you allude to, that seems a long shot. But 8-0 run to start, don't count on it. Indeed SC may lead after the first quarter.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'm surprised that so many of you seem to be unable to understand Dawn's point or to allow that it has any validity. In my opinion, it certainly does.

Even if there were no WNBA and no overseas professional basketball, isn't it obvious that nearly all of the players on this year's UConn team would have excellent chances (probably better than most college graduates) of having a successful professional career? Most of them are doing very well academically; they are well-spoken; they can relate to older adults such as their future bosses in an office; and they have learned to play as a good teammate long before they came to UConn. Those qualities, as much as their athletic ability, were what made them attractive to Geno and CD as recruits.

Of course, this has a lot to do with the strong families from which they all come -- no one on the team came from an impoverished background, and most (if not all) come from stable, two-parent families.

On the South Carolina roster, A'ja Wilson certainly fits a similar profile, which is probably a big reason why she was a UConn recruiting target. But I bet that several of their other players did not come from such a fortunate background, and I think that is what Dawn is talking about.

Nationally, I think Stanford, Notre Dame, and Duke (among major NC contenders) are able to attract enough students from relatively fortunate backgrounds, as UConn does. Most likely, other top teams have to choose between getting capable athletes and getting players who are fully prepared for the real (professional) world. That means that coaches such as Dawn have to deal with those issues much more than Geno / Muffitt / Tara do.

It's a significant issue that shouldn't be minimized or disregarded.

Well said Joe. I'm giving you 2 additional likes. I think you've made some valid observations here that are seldom mentioned with respect to recruiting potential student-athletes, but is none the less real. Some (a few) recruits for various reasons just can't make the adjustments to living away from home in a totally different environment along with the higher academic and social expectations that come with an athletic scholarship.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Carnac, I don't think she's thinking that at all. BUT, I do think she is someone who has been unwilling to lay it all out there too many times and her game has not materially expanded under Dawn's tutelage. Who knows, maybe she and her team mates will light it up tomorrow night, but for reasons you allude to, that seems a long shot. But 8-0 run to start, don't count on it. Indeed SC may lead after the first quarter.

I wasn't suggesting that they are scared, just that they can't say it. We all know you have to be very very careful what you say into a live microphone. Unless you're Charles Barkley, Steven A. Smith, Colin Cowherd, etc. (and they get paid to do it), you can't always speak your mind, and get away with it. I should have said "what she may be thinking".

I hedged that statement with an "IF". If UConn can begin the game with a quick 8-0 run to start, that should calm their nerves, and heighten the Gamecock's. One more thing I did not mention, Geno is a master at making half-time adjustments. IF The Gamecocks are having success with a particular thing/play, Geno will take it away or neutralize it in the second half. UConn is not un-accustomed to having BIG 3rd quarters.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I wasn't suggesting that they are scared, just that they can't say it. We all know you have to be very very careful what you say into a live microphone. Unless you're Charles Barkley, Steven A. Smith, Colin Cowherd, etc. (and they get paid to do it), you can't always speak your mind, and get away with it. I should have said "what she may be thinking".

I hedged that statement with an "IF". If UConn can begin the game with a quick 8-0 run to start, that should calm their nerves, and heighten the Gamecock's. One more thing I did not mention, Geno is a master at making half-time adjustments. IF The Gamecocks are having success with a particular thing/play, Geno will take it away or neutralize it in the second half. UConn is not un-accustomed to having BIG 3rd quarters.

I know. Wasn't being critical, just think it is going to be a shake down quarter for both.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised no one commented with about 20 secs the reporter was asking a question and said that UCONN is the best team in the country Wilson answered the ? But Harris chuckled at the question

Reaction Score
"He gets the players where he can just coach basketball. Because they pretty much do what they need to do,” she said." Then how is it so many UConn alums go out of their way to say Geno (and CD) taught them so much more than the game of basketball;that they prepared the players for life after basketball. This is simply prattle from someone who has just re-articulated the standard cop out of other coaches: He gets all the best players.
Right? So as soon as she can recruit a more desirable caliber of player (those players who "just do what they need to do"??) then she can start being more "My way or no way" like Geno.

Wasn't Geno always, "My way or no way," even before he had such great success? Like back when many of the players he inherited quit the team his first year? (the "no way" option, presumably)

Maybe Dawn could take it to the next level with a little, "My way or no way" right now. Then maybe that "at some point these players have you" thing would start to go away. Can you imagine Bill Parcels saying, "at some point these players have you"? (Take note, Holly)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom